Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I completely don't understand why this is one of the great segments of the bonus stream. I feel like there's something I'm not getting because all I'm seeing is two people playing a puzzle game.

What makes it great is partially medibot being an amazingly funny guy, YoCo being a great esport, and all the donations coming in during their matches (keep in mind this is the bonus stream, so donations slow down a ton, and the amount they raised in that half hour was pretty crazy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I completely don't understand why this is one of the great segments of the bonus stream. I feel like there's something I'm not getting because all I'm seeing is two people playing a puzzle game.

Would you call a Starcraft tournament 'two people playing an RTS'? Please support esports.

Also be warned, that video contains massive spoilers for Let's Play The 13th Age.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

Slowbeef how much ahead are you video wise in your dark souls playthrough?

Roughly, since I don't have anything but the first edited (and posted!)

021 - Beat Havel, more New Londo Ruins
022 - Depths
023 - Gaping Dragon
024 - Hydra (720p)

I went back to the Hydra because:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well, that certainly is a thing. I really like the Gargoyles halberd by the way, it uses the halberd moveset from demons souls instead of poking. Too bad you didnt get the one from the black knight.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Just burned through this thread having just found it, and I'd like to at least throw in some Yogscast support given the distaste for it I've seen in here. I've been watching them fairly consistently for 2 +years now and I really do feel like they're a bunch of genuinely funny people and the "catchphrase reliance" thing I've seen posted as an argument against them doesn't come across to me at all. I mean, it does pop up every once in a while and they do play off their sort of established "characters" a decent amount, but for the most part I think they're very solid comedians. Especially when you put a larger amount of their network together, like the Minecraft PVP stuff. Maybe it's just a biased perspective from me because I've been a fan since they got big but it feels like they get tossed aside at first glance a lot. I;d even go so far as to recommend their podcasts from before they got big, where it's just Lewis and Simon shooting the poo poo for the most part.

I've also just recently gotten into Achievement Hunter/LetsPlay stuff, and they're great as well. Just genuinely entertaining people, even if they can get a bit over the top (lookin' at you, Michael).

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

Well, that certainly is a thing. I really like the Gargoyles halberd by the way, it uses the halberd moveset from demons souls instead of poking. Too bad you didnt get the one from the black knight.

That's okay. I got it from the Gargoyles.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Just burned through this thread having just found it, and I'd like to at least throw in some Yogscast support given the distaste for it I've seen in here. I've been watching them fairly consistently for 2 +years now and I really do feel like they're a bunch of genuinely funny people and the "catchphrase reliance" thing I've seen posted as an argument against them doesn't come across to me at all. I mean, it does pop up every once in a while and they do play off their sort of established "characters" a decent amount, but for the most part I think they're very solid comedians. Especially when you put a larger amount of their network together, like the Minecraft PVP stuff. Maybe it's just a biased perspective from me because I've been a fan since they got big but it feels like they get tossed aside at first glance a lot. I;d even go so far as to recommend their podcasts from before they got big, where it's just Lewis and Simon shooting the poo poo for the most part.

I've also just recently gotten into Achievement Hunter/LetsPlay stuff, and they're great as well. Just genuinely entertaining people, even if they can get a bit over the top (lookin' at you, Michael).

Anything you can recommend specifically from Yogscast? I keep hearing about them, but never gave it a whirl myself.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Slowbeef posted:

That's okay. I got it from the Gargoyles.

Anything you can recommend specifically from Yogscast? I keep hearing about them, but never gave it a whirl myself.

I'll have to go back and browse some stuff once I get off work and maybe put a list together, but one of their much earlier minecraft videos that comes to mind right away is this one:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TQBQ0MIpJsk

It's right around when their minecraft LP started to deviate into a bit of a story, though at this point it wasn't anything more than "someone is loving with our server".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yogscast is terrible, see video for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHmXtvbmE5g

Also they apparently do minecraft roleplay.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I generally don't like the stuff on the main Yogscast channel but I mostly enjoy Hannah's videos on their secondary channel.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I like Duncan's Tekkit stuff cause he seems to know his stuff and knows what to do with it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The problem with the yogscast is the vast majority of their gaming content is minecraft, or things that play out similarly in terms of their aimlessness and reliance on some outside influence to be entertaining. It's hard to pick out something good that will get over the style difference between what goes down well here and on youtube.

That said, I keep going back and watching this one, although it's probably much funnier with an understanding of who's who there and what's going on.

It's really, really not the sort of stuff that goes down well here, although I'm still going to defend it as a disagreement in style and taste rather than something objectively good or bad. It's not like they're screaming rape while playing video games badly, marketing towards 12 year olds and commentating through burps on camcorder.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

MooCowlian posted:

It's not like they're screaming rape while playing video games badly, marketing towards 12 year olds and commentating through burps on camcorder.

In that case, I don't know how they achieved their success!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Livingtrope posted:

Yogscast is terrible, see video for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHmXtvbmE5g

Also they apparently do minecraft roleplay.

I quite like this video v:shobon:v

And re: the "Minecraft Roleplay", they've done it in a few of the their Minecraft series, but it's hardly ever taken particularly seriously or takes too prominent of a role outside of Shadow of Israphel. Plus, quite honestly it's refreshing to see people try out different things in a video market that has become ridiculously over-saturated. I mean, 99% of Minecraft LPs are basically the same thing, and Yogscast has a drat good variety in the number of different kinds of series they do just for one game. Which isn't even mentioning that they do plenty of stuff outside of Minecraft as well.

I mean it's far from perfect, they do scarecam stuff sometimes and they can bank on shrieky-type reactions every so often. Simon especially I think kind of plays up his "character" sometimes, but on the whole he's actually got a humor style that fits right in with SA (he's an avid YOSPOS lurker from what I can tell). I don't watch anywhere close to the majority of their output, either, so I'm not an expert by any means. But they do a lot of good with their channels (their yearly Christmas charity streams are pretty neat) and I'd put them pretty high up in terms of content-to-quality ratio.

I dunno! I just think they're fun people who don't take the LP Fame thing too seriously, or if they do it doesn't come through in the videos much.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 16, 2014

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm never going to get over the fact that Simon is a DLC character for Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed. Yeah, the profits go to charity, but how did that agreement even happen? It's like Danny Sexbang piloting Big Zam being DLC for Super Robot Wars.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm never going to get over the fact that Simon is a DLC character for Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed. Yeah, the profits go to charity, but how did that agreement even happen? It's like Danny Sexbang piloting Big Zam being DLC for Super Robot Wars.

Because Yogscast does a bunch of stuff for charity and the people behind the game are cool people who reach out to popular people to help charity. I'm not sure why it's confusing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

He also voices the narrator/training guy for Hit Indie Game (TM)(Copyright) Dwarfs because he's a dwarf in Minecraft, you see.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I guess it's not so much confusing as it is jarring, though I suppose Simon isn't without precedent. He, Wreck-It Ralph, Danica Patrick, and RED are definitely the odd ones out in the cast.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 16, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Supersonic Shine posted:

I guess it's not so much confusing as it is jarring, though I suppose he isn't without precedent. He, Wreck-It Ralph, Danica Patrick, and RED are definitely the odd ones out in the cast.

I believe Hot Wheels gave a lot of money to the project and ensured the game made the size it is today in exchange for the Danica Patrick character, and I think Wreck-It-Ralph made it in because of the Sonic team cameos in the movie, which implied some sort of working relationship. RED is probably just in because Steam is a major distributor for the game, but that's a bit of a stretch. Simon then stands out as even more of a stretch.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Supersonic Shine posted:

I guess it's not so much confusing as it is jarring, though I suppose Simon isn't without precedent. He, Wreck-It Ralph, Danica Patrick, and RED are definitely the odd ones out in the cast.

My friend didn't believe me when I said Danica Patrick was one of the characters in the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slowbeef posted:

Their Civ5 games are quite good. As are their 'The Walls' matches which is a sort of PvP minecraft mode.

Their actual minecraft series depends on... well... how much you like watching people play minecraft, really. If that sounds boring to you it'll be pretty boring, they don't do anything amazing with the formula, they just do it without being a bunch of dickheads which is more than you can say for a lot of minecraft LP.

They're a bit like the 2 best friends guys in that they obviously get along quite well and it can be fun to listen to them shoot the poo poo while playing games. For me my general appraisal would be that while they aren't spectacularly good, you can't really call them bad by any reasonable measure, which is very impressive given their popularity, video output, and running time.

Edit: Also yeah they do quite a lot of charity broadcasting which is commendable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 16, 2014

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Slowbeef posted:

021 - Beat Havel

Now that you've beaten Havel, I can tell you that you can cheese the fight by luring him up the stairs, and then rolling off. His armor is so heavy that he actually takes massive fall damage. I don't know how many times it takes, but it's fairly safe. You seemed to beat him just fine, though.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

heytallman posted:

You seemed to beat him just fine, though.
Havel doesn't seem to be much trouble for most new players, I've found. His attacks can one-hit kill most of the time, but all of them have such a long windup that they can be easily dodged or parried. In any case, acquiring Havel's Ring for the first time is a good accomplishment.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Fall damage is the same no matter what armor/equip you wear, it's percentual depending how far you fell. All that matters is distance!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Slowbeef posted:

I really enjoyed their "Don't Starve Challenge" videos, which is just them trying to survive a camping trip for one night while completing challenges like "light a fire" and "build shelter." They're pretty simple videos but very funny.

This is part 2; there is a part 1 but it's mostly just travel and this is where it starts getting interesting.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The yogscast is pretty good until they start RPing. I'm not really necessarily opposed to rp/scripted videos but their strength really is just in bullshitting around.

I'm on mobile so I'm too goddamned lazy to link but look up pretty much anything they've done with Garry's Mod, the ones where they just dick around with user creations are pretty great. Also whenever they try to build random poo poo like catapults, race cars, spaceships, etc.

I've mentioned it before but I love listening to Sips, his constant stream of thought is soothing in a weird sort of way. I'll be the first to admit, though, that he's not for everyone.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Yeah, I guess it's basically undisputed now that Sips is probably the most entertaining of the group. Hell, he's the only one who's video I watch regularly. He's informative as he is funny, and even when he doesn't know what to do, he at least catches on quickly enough. It's a nice change from most of the crap on youtube. He might as well be the anti-DSP.

His Airport Simulator video is really interesting for a video of an otherwise boring and lovely game.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I swear this is the last time I'll bring up DSP for a while, but please tell me there is at least one game he is not inept at. I mean he spent what felt like an hour on an easy jump on Sly Cooper.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

I swear this is the last time I'll bring up DSP for a while, but please tell me there is at least one game he is not inept at. I mean he spent what felt like an hour on an easy jump on Sly Cooper.

...He's not incompetent at wrestling games, I think. I mean, he's not 'good' at them, but he's less lovely at them than he is at most games.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

theCalamity posted:

Their DX:HR one was kind of frustrating. He wanted to explore Sarif Industries despite numerous warnings that something bad would happen. When it does happen, he says that the game didn't tell them. Then he kept killing cops for no reason.

I think my favorite is when he arbitrarily decided the infected in Last of Us had infra-red vision or some poo poo and this invalidated the logic behind the entire combat system. He ended up nearly torpedoing half a recording session because he just would not let it go.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I really should be curbing the DSP derail since it keeps coming up (maybe it could even use its own thread), but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgqLiQ8UXiU

You know, I'll say it. The first half actually is somewhat decent. The song mostly worked, the editing's a little rough, but nothing too bad... then the fan letters come. Then he pretends to Let's Play on camera and that's when the laughter started for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

I think my favorite is when he arbitrarily decided the infected in Last of Us had infra-red vision or some poo poo and this invalidated the logic behind the entire combat system. He ended up nearly torpedoing half a recording session because he just would not let it go.

I kind of wish the VGA crew would stop doing Naughty Dog games. Their run of Uncharted 2 was maddening because Fraser just would not accept that it's NOT a stealth game. You can stealth for a while in some areas, but you HAVE to fight. Last of Us is pretty similar, in that you pretty much have to fight at certain points.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
You know, from all the things I've heard from people unsubscribing from DSP because of his awfulness, it makes me wonder what made them subscribe to him originally in the first place. I mean, I don't even know how long he's been doing this but I take it he hasn't changed at all from when he started. I just don't get how his antics can be entertaining to some people for them to even consider clicking subscribe and following him just long enough unironically.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I can't imagine subscribing to DSP even if you liked his videos. With his relentless non stop posting of videos he'd completely dominate your subscription feed.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Can somebody explain why he feels this irrational hatred towards Kojima? I mean, apparently one of the requirements for being a troll is liking Kojima's works.

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013
Getting away from Yogscast and DSP chat, there's this channel on YouTube called ModestlyProphItic. Their main shtick is analyzing the design and symbolism in games. I think they're really insightful and deserve more recognition.
They're really good at keeping up their schedule of one video every Thursday.

:siren:BE WARNED!:siren:
They have a tendency to leave games on the backburner for a long time or outright abandon projects but what's there is really good.
They also record live and unscripted for the most part. Also expect terrible puns.

Bioshock: Infinite (Active)
My favorite series, focuses more on the symbolism and story of the game. They start to use post-commentary around episode 13-ish.

Donkey Kong Country Returns (M.I.A.)
Focuses more on level design and general gently caress-aboutery. They screw up more often here but they will edit in text after to discuss things they missed.

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage (Active)
Very off the wall commentary, not SA-friendly.

(Minor edit: More BBCode)

Mulgar fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 17, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GeneralYeti posted:

Can somebody explain why he feels this irrational hatred towards Kojima? I mean, apparently one of the requirements for being a troll is liking Kojima's works.

He seems to think Kojima is a rampant egotist, and actually enjoying the Metal Gear plot, even for it's goofiness, is equivalent to blowing him, apparently.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Slowbeef posted:

I really should be curbing the DSP derail since it keeps coming up (maybe it could even use its own thread), but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgqLiQ8UXiU

You know, I'll say it. The first half actually is somewhat decent. The song mostly worked, the editing's a little rough, but nothing too bad... then the fan letters come. Then he pretends to Let's Play on camera and that's when the laughter started for me.

I am speechless. I think the first half is funny, but mostly because its ironic how he is focusing on all these people, trying to tell them that they insult too much and focus on what he does and poo poo and he literally insults them for the whole song. And those copyrights... Can he seriously think that the dozens he showed on screen are all because of people trolling him?

I mean, those of us who have Let's Plays all have a few strikes, I'm sure (my first video has one and one of my favorites for songs I used, don't give a poo poo) but he is convinced they are mostly trolls.

Maybe I wasn't so speechless. And, maybe DSP does deserve his own thread here because he is the bottom of the LP barrel, or as my great uncle would have called it, the dark beer.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Liar Lyre posted:

but please tell me there is at least one game he is not inept at.

Dude's very good at Street Fighter 2.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

After watching him play other fighting games this mustve been a fluke. I mean he complains about not being to block while audibly mashing buttons its ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Stux posted:

After watching him play other fighting games this mustve been a fluke. I mean he complains about not being to block while audibly mashing buttons its ridiculous.

Isn't that the one where DSP won because the console version, which DSP is used to, was used instead of the arcade version, which the pros are used to?

• Locked thread