Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Trump posted:

If the downmixing is done straight up, with no weird processing like virtual surround or presets like the "movie" or "music" option some TVs have, you won't be able to tell the difference. Downmixing doesn't remove channels, but simply throws the available sound out 2 speakers. The center channel will come out of both speakers.

The downmixing that cable boxes, blu-ray players, and TVs do is almost always dreadful and absolutely buries the dialog, making it really hard for a lot of people to hear. You've never noticed this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
At the very beginning of Dallas Buyer's Club, what has McConaughey's character done to cause all the rodeo guys to chase after him violently?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lester Shy posted:

At the very beginning of Dallas Buyer's Club, what has McConaughey's character done to cause all the rodeo guys to chase after him violently?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but based on the description of the movie and his character, maybe he slept with all their wives/girlfriends?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Does anyone know if we're getting a region-A blu-ray release of Bertolucci's The Conformist? Outside of paying $50-100 bucks for a used DVD copy, I'm sure I'm not alone in getting tired of waiting.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Lester Shy posted:

He's taking bets that the one guy will be able to stay on the bull past a certain time. When it doesn't work out, he runs with everyone's money, as I understand it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

friendo55 posted:

Does anyone know if we're getting a region-A blu-ray release of Bertolucci's The Conformist? Outside of paying $50-100 bucks for a used DVD copy, I'm sure I'm not alone in getting tired of waiting.

Raro Video is releasing it sometime this year.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Will Scanner every be on blu ray in the US for a decent price?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Will Scanner every be on blu ray in the US for a decent price?

Criterion has the US rights and will be releasing it sometime this year along with The Brood.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Has there ever been a B-Movie thread in CD? I love those schlocky movies and would love some discussion.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Yaws posted:

Has there ever been a B-Movie thread in CD? I love those schlocky movies and would love some discussion.

Sadly not. There should be though and I've thought about starting one myself. I used to frequent the one on the Chud boards and the only thing more amusing than the thread itself was other users getting angry that it was by far the most popular thread the site has ever had.

Qwentle
Feb 19, 2011
Pillbug
I am not sure where to ask this but do anyone her have recommendations for places to buy high-quality movie posters online?

More specifically I'm looking for a poster for the 1959 version of 'On the beach' (this one) in large format (long side about 3 feet or so) and the two places I have ordered from so far have both sent me blown-up versions of a fairly low-res picture which looks like rear end.

I'm not looking for a proper original or anything but I would like the smaller text on the image part of the poster to be fairly sharp at least.

Naturally the poster places does not supply the highest quality pictures that they use to print from but maybe there is some place that specializes in posters for older movies or something that I haven't been able to Google my way to, or maybe someone has experience of a place that is good with answering questions about quality truthfully or something?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Qwentle posted:

I am not sure where to ask this but do anyone her have recommendations for places to buy high-quality movie posters online?

More specifically I'm looking for a poster for the 1959 version of 'On the beach' (this one) in large format (long side about 3 feet or so) and the two places I have ordered from so far have both sent me blown-up versions of a fairly low-res picture which looks like rear end.

I'm not looking for a proper original or anything but I would like the smaller text on the image part of the poster to be fairly sharp at least.

Naturally the poster places does not supply the highest quality pictures that they use to print from but maybe there is some place that specializes in posters for older movies or something that I haven't been able to Google my way to, or maybe someone has experience of a place that is good with answering questions about quality truthfully or something?
I've always had a good experience with Moviepostershop.com. Here's the largest they have for that poster:
http://www.moviepostershop.com/on-the-beach-movie-poster-1959/IJ1226

Qwentle
Feb 19, 2011
Pillbug
Thanks for the tip I'll check it out.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

How do I get better at not being a complete idiot who either doesn't recognise obvious symbolism, or horribly over-analyses tiny pointless things that appear in every movie by accident?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hbomberguy posted:

How do I get better at not being a complete idiot who either doesn't recognise obvious symbolism, or horribly over-analyses tiny pointless things that appear in every movie by accident?
The glib answer is to watch more films and to think about them. There really isn't a magic formula or anything like that and---and I can't emphasise this enough---films aren't puzzles to be solved. Things like symbolism, motifs, and even horrible over-analyses are just frameworks within which a work can be discussed. The analysis is, effectively invariably, a coordinate system that you're superimposing on the work rather than one which is necessarily `built into' the work itself. If that makes sense.

If you're looking for something like a concrete exercise, approach a film that you kinda like but which has some elements which puzzle you. Consider the things that you find puzzling. Instead of trying to either discount them as `errors' or whatever (on the one hand) or trying to shoehorn them into a sort of colour-by-numbers sophomore textbook essay on symbolism (on the other hand), just ask yourself what the hell it's doing in the film. Like imagine you're one of the filmmakers and imagine what you were thinking about when you put it in there. Maybe that's some big Grand Symbolic exercise. But maybe it's just the composition of the shot. Or pacing or something. Think about how it would change the text if you took it out. Would that make the viewer reinterpret something else, suggest something else, or even just shift the emphasis on a character or event or whatever? What would that mean? And so on. In most narratives, once you start tugging at the elements this way, all of the ways that they're connected to the other bits becomes more important. And that's really what all that `symbolism' poo poo is---the skeleton and tendons and poo poo that hold the narrative together, and that control how the fit together---the shape they make---and the way they move in concert with each other. That is, it's not some sort of abstract intellectual exercise (or at least one hopes it is not), but rather a sort of pedestrian, nuts-and-bolts matter of the mechanics of the narrative.

And at this point you might, if you've been paying attention, start scratching your head and point out that I started out saying that analysis is something that you're projecting on the text and then I leapt immediately to comparing it to a skeleton that controls how the work moves, with no apparent segue. Because that is in fact what I just did. And if you sense some conflict between these apparently disparate characterisations of analysis: yes.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

SubG posted:

-snip-

I see what you're saying. That you very much for taking the time to post.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Would it be valid advice to say "read more?" More poetry, more literature? Work the same sort of parts of your brain via different inputs?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AlternateAccount posted:

Would it be valid advice to say "read more?" More poetry, more literature? Work the same sort of parts of your brain via different inputs?

Everyone should always read more.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

AlternateAccount posted:

Broaden your horizons, generally.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

SubG posted:

just ask yourself what the hell it's doing in the film.

This pretty much sums up my answer to his question. Just ask "why did the filmmaker include this scene/shot/dialog?". In the vast majority of competently made films, the director/writer had a reason for including it. Sometimes it serves the plot, sometimes it serves the themes, and sometimes it's there to simply enhance the "voice" of the movie, but it's rarely an arbitrary decision. Understanding the language of film is all about understanding the whys.

Also, listen to audio commentaries of movies you enjoy. Seriously, doing this has taught me so loving much about movies it's unbelievable. Director and film expert/historian commentaries are the best. They're great at shedding light on the "whys" you're looking for, and often let you in on stuff you hadn't even thought about.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

caiman posted:

Sometimes it serves the plot, sometimes it serves the themes, and sometimes it's there to simply enhance the "voice" of the movie, but it's rarely an arbitrary decision.

Even if it was arbitrary, so to speak, that line of questioning will still lead you to examine what effect the scene has on the film. Like, maybe it's there for NO REASON but it's still there. You still watched it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can also just watch your favorite movies and, because you're already familiar with them, try to focus on why things happen.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Thanks for the nice responses folks.

New question though: How do I now deal with the fact that giving a poo poo about reading movies is distancing me from the people I hang out with who still only think about them in sheer 'everything wrong with x in y minutes' tactical realistic terms? Because someone just told me that the first Harry Potter film is poorly-made because Ron doesn't just get off the horse before it gets destroyed (in his own heroic sacrifice) - "how unrealistic!" - and there is no response I can give that will not come off as completely offensive to his entire idea of what movies are and how they work. Film studies is part of my degree and I cannot find any people who actually give a poo poo about studying films. Is there a secret codeword-class for actual film studies that I missed or should I consign myself to being an internet weirdo?

Edit: Also, how illegal is it to film a found-footage movie and hide the DV Tape in a public library?

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 18, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hbomberguy posted:

New question though: How do I now deal with the fact that giving a poo poo about reading movies is distancing me from the people I hang out with who still only think about them in sheer 'everything wrong with x in y minutes' tactical realistic terms? Because someone just told me that the first Harry Potter film is poorly-made because Ron doesn't just get off the horse before it gets destroyed (in his own heroic sacrifice) - "how unrealistic!" - and there is no response I can give that will not come off as completely offensive to his entire idea of what movies are and how they work. Film studies is part of my degree and I cannot find any people who actually give a poo poo about studying films. Is there a secret codeword-class for actual film studies that I missed or should I consign myself to being an internet weirdo?

Edit: Also, how illegal is it to film a found-footage movie and hide the DV Tape in a public library?

If you really wanted to make the effort to get through to them, I'd try to explain that the two mediums are different and so what works in one won't work in another. If Rowling had wanted Harry Potter 1 to be a movie instead of a book, she would have written a screenplay instead of a manuscript. As the medium changes, so must the message; obviously, portraying characters thoughts is much much more difficult in a movie, but movies have their own strengths that books lack, and so just as there are changes when translating from one language to another (i.e., a literal word-for-word translation of "ma petite ami" from French to English will rather miss the meaning) so will there be changes when going from book to movie. This isn't a weakness, it's an inevitible part of the process and can add to the final product when done well.

Alternatively, ask them if there is a music video they really like. Pick it apart as not being a literal interpretation of the song lyrics and then ask them how they can like the video when it's not a literal interpretation.

For your edit, I don't think it would be illegal at all (unless it shows illegal activities, in which case maybe something like disturbing the peace could apply?). I wouldn't go with a dv tape though -- burn that poo poo to dvd, otherwise someone will just grab the tape and end up throwing it in the junk drawer.

e: maybe I misunderstood what you said about your friend(s). If their issue isn't the changes from book -> movie but that there are things that couldn't happen that way IRL ... well, what are they watching a movie about kid wizards for? My response would be to one up them and take a massive poo poo on any movie they watch or like. "Uh, Hobbits don't even exist in real life, who are they trying to fool?" "Heh, 'the force', nice try Lucas."

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 18, 2014

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hbomberguy posted:

Get new friends. Look for people who enjoy reading books rather than people who like watching movies. People who read books also like movies and they aren't as likely to be focused on "tactical realism." Basically you want to find interesting people who enjoy movies, not people who are obsessed with movies but haven't opened a serious book since high school. If you're in college and you want to meet people in classes, take some literature classes.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

regulargonzalez posted:

e: maybe I misunderstood what you said about your friend(s). If their issue isn't the changes from book -> movie but that there are things that couldn't happen that way IRL ... well, what are they watching a movie about kid wizards for? My response would be to one up them and take a massive poo poo on any movie they watch or like. "Uh, Hobbits don't even exist in real life, who are they trying to fool?" "Heh, 'the force', nice try Lucas."

I have a sister who has a really hard time getting into fantasy and scifi. So we simply don't usually watch those kinds of movies together. But I think the guy's problem is that Ron stays on the chess piece even as it's being taken out instead of getting away. If it isn't that then I don't get what the issue is.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

The person in question honestly thinks this video is great for holding the movie up to a 'higher standard' than normal. The video doesn't simply get the film wrong and films wrong as a concept, it also misses the basic premise of sausages. This friend simultaneously 'doesn't care about the book, the film stands alone' and wants copious amounts of exposition to explain why Ron didn't/couldn't get off the horse instead of asking why for himself.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If you're in college and you want to meet people in classes, take some literature classes.

I study both English Lit and Film, so I kind of have it both ways. There are definitely a lot of smart people between the two courses, it's just weird being confronted with the ones who don't actually have any interest in learning about the medium beyond scriptwriting 101, is the action cool or whatever.

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

But I think the guy's problem is that Ron stays on the chess piece even as it's being taken out instead of getting away. If it isn't that then I don't get what the issue is.

That's it, yeah. He simply assumes it is a plot hole - even though the entire purpose of the scene is to demonstrate Ron's willingness to sacrifice himself, it would be more tactically realistic if he got off the horse before sending it to its death. He also literally thinks Elrond should have just murdered his close friend the king of humanity just to destroy the one ring even though the war was already over. Plot, themes, characterisation - what are these things?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Hbomberguy posted:

The person in question honestly thinks this video is great for holding the movie up to a 'higher standard' than normal. The video doesn't simply get the film wrong and films wrong as a concept, it also misses the basic premise of sausages. This friend simultaneously 'doesn't care about the book, the film stands alone' and wants copious amounts of exposition to explain why Ron didn't/couldn't get off the horse instead of asking why for himself.

OK, that video is ridiculous but I can to a limited degree sympathize with your friend. Movies who fail their internal logic are problematic to me, and some premises need to be seriously looked at.

As an example, I like the movie Blade Runner (if not to the degree that many people here do), but I think the premise has an inherent flaw. The government is really worried about replicants passing as human. So why hasn't a law been passed dictating that they all have green skin, or an extra eye, or a big brand on their forehead that says REPLICANT. I mean sure, there'd be no movie then, but I think it requires such a suspension of disbelief that society has a huge problem and also doesn't make one simple and obvious change that would fix everything to be problematic.

Perhaps the prime example is The Matrix, given that the machine's general plan violates the second law of thermodynamics. I've heard that in the original screenplay it's addressed much better (instead of using humans as "batteries", they use human minds as a kind of giant computer -- fixes all the problems but it made it "too confusing" or something).

Don't get me wrong -- like I said I enjoy those movies still, but it's definitely a problem I have with them. Movies have to follow an internal logic or else it's just a collection of images, whatever the craft they're made with and arranged into.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track

Hbomberguy posted:

That's it, yeah. He simply assumes it is a plot hole - even though the entire purpose of the scene is to demonstrate Ron's willingness to sacrifice himself, it would be more tactically realistic if he got off the horse before sending it to its death. He also literally thinks Elrond should have just murdered his close friend the king of humanity just to destroy the one ring even though the war was already over. Plot, themes, characterisation - what are these things?

I'd always thought (or just assumed) that Ron had to stay on the horse so the Magic Chess Game would play through to completion so Harry and Hermione could go on.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I do appreciate the idea you're getting across, but even 'internal logic' is something a good movie can violate for a reason, or to make a point. The movie never tells you how magical chess works when you're riding on one of the pieces, so surely it's best to assume that what happened is...what happens?

I think Blade Runner is about symbolic differences. The whole point is that they are people, literally us, not even like us but humans too, to the point that it's still up in the air if the main character is one. The flawed definition of 'human' is what's creating the problem. You are sentient and have thoughts and feelings that are authentic to you, but if you answer this question and your eyes dilate wrong, I can kill you without conscience. It being super-obvious who the replicants are messes with Tyrell's goal, which was making accurate human replications. Also, there already is an obvious difference. They die in four years. This is not only a bad thing for these honorary humans but probably the underlying cause of all the strife the replicants bring about in the events of the film. Their only flaw is wanting to be more human.

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

I'd always thought (or just assumed) that Ron had to stay on the horse so the Magic Chess Game would play through to completion so Harry and Hermione could go on.

Exactly, right? Like, it's a non-issue. It's the same school of cynicism behind "Everything wrong with," where there are simple solutions to problems because you took the film literally. If the harry potter films have problems worth talking about, Ron being on the horse is not one of them. I really liked that scene as a kid, not being able to enjoy it because of such a silly thing is really depressing to me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hbomberguy posted:

I do appreciate the idea you're getting across, but even 'internal logic' is something a good movie can violate for a reason, or to make a point. The movie never tells you how magical chess works when you're riding on one of the pieces, so surely it's best to assume that what happened is...what happens?

I think Blade Runner is about symbolic differences. The whole point is that they are people, literally us, not even like us but humans too, to the point that it's still up in the air if the main character is one. The flawed definition of 'human' is what's creating the problem. You are sentient and have thoughts and feelings that are authentic to you, but if you answer this question and your eyes dilate wrong, I can kill you without conscience. It being super-obvious who the replicants are messes with Tyrell's goal, which was making accurate human replications. Also, there already is an obvious difference. They die in four years. This is not only a bad thing for these honorary humans but probably the underlying cause of all the strife the replicants bring about in the events of the film. Their only flaw is wanting to be more human.
Exactly. Why aren't the replicants in Blade Runner bright green with "REPLICANT" written on their forehead? Because then there wouldn't be a movie. Anyone who gets bent out of shape because a movie violates its "internal logic" needs to ask themselves why they think airtight internal logic is important to a good film.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Exactly. Why aren't the replicants in Blade Runner bright green with "REPLICANT" written on their forehead? Because then there wouldn't be a movie. Anyone who gets bent out of shape because a movie violates its "internal logic" needs to ask themselves why they think airtight internal logic is important to a good film.

I get that, I really do. That said, there must be some semblance of logic, at least for most movies. If you're watching Saving Private Ryan and all of a sudden a giant Optimus Prime appears and stomps Hitler to death, that would be rather disconcerting and ruin the show. (cue the "Id watch that it sounds awsum" crew. It'd be cute once, and only *because* most movies follow their rules for their internal universe and so a movie can come along that subverts it. If no movies had internal consistency, it would quickly lose its appeal. Or, for example, Tim and Eric only works *because* most shows have an internal logic and so a show that doesn't, has a novelty factor going. If every show and movie were like that ... well, movies would be a lot less popular than they are).
Sure, you can point to exceptions like Un Chien Andalou as a purely surrealistic collection of images without internal logic or structure but it would get pretty tiresome if every movie said "logic doesn't matter, anything can happen, there are no rules in our universe". Or, just as bad, a movie that has rules that differ from ours but does not explore what that means. If the second law of thermodynamics really doesn't exist in The Matrix, that's a loving HUGE change. Like literally the world would be completely different. But oddly, it appears exactly like our world.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 18, 2014

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Commerce is our goal here at Tyrell. "More human than human" is our motto.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

echoplex posted:

Commerce is our goal here at Tyrell. "More human than human" is our motto.

Commerce is the goal of any business. That hasn't stopped laws being passed to eliminate child labor, institute a minimum wage, etc.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

and people break those laws all the time

let's assume that the first thing the escaping replicants did was acquire realistic skin to replace their neon green. the tech clearly exists given the realistic animals, etc.
so this added complication to the movie has added nothing in the end. may as well not bother.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Cerv posted:

and people break those laws all the time
Not openly and without repercusssions. I may be wrong, however; I'd be interested in reading a list of major corporations who openly use illegal child labor and don't pay minimum wage.

e: Thinking about it, I suppose it could be handwaved away via "It's legal in other countries", just as Apple et. al can pay wages in China and Malaysia that would be criminal in the US but are a-ok overseas.

quote:

let's assume that the first thing the escaping replicants did was acquire realistic skin to replace their neon green. the tech clearly exists given the realistic animals, etc.
so this added complication to the movie has added nothing in the end. may as well not bother.

On the contrary, I think that would add a lot. They want to pass for human, why? Do they desire to emulate humanity, or is it to pass unnoticed for nefarious purposes? If every replicant ever has been clearly marked as such and now there are some that aren't ... scary stuff imo.
In any event, reasonable people will disagree.

e2: vvv one of the major issues I see brought up occasionally that I *don't* have a problem with is if Deckard is a replicant, how come he's so weak? He gets his rear end beat by every replicant he goes up against.
In the scene where he's shown the escaped replicants on a display, they list traits of each of them -- intelligence, strength, and maybe something else? I just figured that for some reason he was a model with low strength.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 18, 2014

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Blade Runner's a weird movie for me. There are a few things with Deckard that really bug me but I like the rest of it so much that I almost feel bad for what I disagree with.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

regulargonzalez posted:

Commerce is the goal of any business. That hasn't stopped laws being passed to eliminate child labor, institute a minimum wage, etc.

If it bothers you that much, just assume that Tyrell used his money and influence to prevent any legislation from passing. Not only does it clear up the issue, it also fits with Cyberpunk's general theme of private corporations controlling society.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Hbomberguy posted:

New question though: How do I now deal with the fact that giving a poo poo about reading movies is distancing me from the people I hang out with who still only think about them in sheer 'everything wrong with x in y minutes' tactical realistic terms?

If you have a fundamentally different viewpoint from someone on film (or anything), you can just talk about other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

regulargonzalez posted:

Not openly and without repercusssions. I may be wrong, however; I'd be interested in reading a list of major corporations who openly use illegal child labor and don't pay minimum wage.

e: Thinking about it, I suppose it could be handwaved away via "It's legal in other countries", just as Apple et. al can pay wages in China and Malaysia that would be criminal in the US but are a-ok overseas.
wage law is earlier to break than child labour. here's a very recent case of it happening.
http://www.masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2014/01/west_springfield_ihop_operator_fined_100.html

quote:

On the contrary, I think that would add a lot. They want to pass for human, why? Do they desire to emulate humanity, or is it to pass unnoticed for nefarious purposes? If every replicant ever has been clearly marked as such and now there are some that aren't ... scary stuff imo.
In any event, reasonable people will disagree.

e2: vvv one of the major issues I see brought up occasionally that I *don't* have a problem with is if Deckard is a replicant, how come he's so weak? He gets his rear end beat by every replicant he goes up against.
In the scene where he's shown the escaped replicants on a display, they list traits of each of them -- intelligence, strength, and maybe something else? I just figured that for some reason he was a model with low strength.

ok, that's a fair point. looking at it that way it could add something to the movie.
but then you're back to it's a different movie now. maybe better, maybe worse but definitely not the movie that scott wanted to make.