Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Every 5 points of fear increases the morale loss by 1 and dificulty of the morale check, in addition to the normal aoe increase. My fear 22 dracolich in MadPantheon thus hits 28 squares, lowering their morale by 4 and forcing a morale check vs 14 to keep fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So that means that each T-Rex at 5 fear would drop enemy morale by 1? That is pretty powerful actually.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Pavlov posted:

So that means that each T-Rex at 5 fear would drop enemy morale by 1? That is pretty powerful actually.

Due to the small radius and 1 T-Rex per square you wouldn't get too much crazy overlap though. The effect is more pronounced on something like demon knights.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Have you considered #reclimit?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

I thought it was that the radius of the fear aura only increased per increments of 5.

That's not a a pike, that's a sharpened tree.

Not if they're making those things out of these: The one true tree.

Now add a sharp, polished metal spearhead and you get something a size 6 giant could use as a weapon of mass destruction.

Edit:

Or better, like a weapon of tree destruction. :downsrim:

OK, that was bad. I'm stopping now.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 18, 2014

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
If a cross-path spell has + scaling, how are the bonus levels determined? For instance, magma eruption is 3E1F and the aoe has a + indicator. Will a caster with 4E2F get +2 bonus to aoe, or just +1?

Also, I'm loving multiplayer so far. For the first time ever, I had an assassination on a lizard commander fail. I check the battle replay and he is randomly wearing black steel full plate, and of course he casts barksin at the start of the assassination :stare:
I also got one of the free mage events on turn 3, so I moved him back into my capitol. The very next turn, I get the "attacked by a spider" random event in my cap, and a 1 hp spider poisons my new mage to death. You can't even get mad when something that perfect happens.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 18, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

TheresNoThyme posted:

If a cross-path spell has + scaling, how are the bonus levels determined? For instance, magma eruption is 3E1F and the aoe has a + indicator. Will a caster with 4E2F get +2 bonus to aoe, or just +1?

I believe it will always be based on the primary path, so just the bonus for having 1 level of Fire beyond the requirement.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

amuayse posted:

Have you considered #reclimit?

I have, and as TheDemon mentioned there is also #slowrec; It will just take some fiddling before they are in an ideal place.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

I need some newbie advice on Sieges. I'm unsure exactly what to expect when I drop an army on a fort. I've read what the manual has to say on the subject but there appears to be no way to monitor siege progress and I'm not sure what I should be looking for to get an idea of how long it is going to take to take down the gate. In most of my games it would take 6+ turns to drop a fort if I parked what I considered a huge army (100+ units) and that seems excessive but I'm not even sure what the baseline would be so maybe it's not. This just seems like one of the most obfuscated mechanics in the game and it is really frustrating.

Specifically I'm having much bigger problems capping forts in my current game as C'tis since I lack any Siege Bonus recruitables and moreover because I am running armies with many less units because I'm using skelly spam to bowl over the enemy. I have not started my forging or boosting yet so I am nowhere near E3 to make Wall Shakers and Gate Cleavers. Are there summons I should be looking at to better hammer gates, or should I just be summoning shitloads of units, or something else?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Just leave something on them, enough to repel a moderate counterattack by whoever's left in the fort, plus whatever they can summon, and do something else.

A capital fort can take an unbelievably large amount of time to crack, so don't put your best army there.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The per unit formula is strength squared divided by 100, opposed by the same. Only units and commanders with siege orders contribute for the attacker. Siege or defense bonus adds 1:1 to the final result, flying adds 1 to the final result. Although correct me if I'm wrong I'm going from memory here.

So 100 basic humans will take 7 turns to siege a undefended 700 strength fort. Basically sieges are never quick unless its 50 or 100 fort strength. Its common to bypass forts and to allow enemy armies and mages opportunity to roam even if it's possible to lock them in. It's a tactical call really, advantages to both. Storming forts is cleanup phase and usually isn't done with regular armies unless necessary; units like archers and slingers and other cheap low res fodder are used to siege while your armies do their own thing. Move in a real army or a sc on breaching the walls while you scout with a commander or scout.

For ctis spend gold on independence archers or slings or national light inf or militia or on mercs

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 19, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know the rules concerning how indy variants get decided? My current single player dicking around is being somewhat stymied by the fact that the only indy archers I can find to recruit are crossbowmen that come with stupidly heavy armour and cost 23 resources each. I assume there's a broad "later age = heavier armour" thing being factored in and I'm just being a bit unlucky?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah even in LA it's not completely unheard-of to get 8r indie archers (not sure about the 4r non-Crystal Amazon ones, don't remember seeing them, but then barely play LA, much like everyone else, I assume). That does appear to be bad luck.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 19, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, the gold standard for LA indies is the 8 res crossbowman in ring mail. Depending on your nation they can be worth forting up to get lots of.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, the gold standard for LA indies is the 8 res crossbowman in ring mail. Depending on your nation they can be worth forting up to get lots of.

I mean assuming no hoburg gatling squads

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the gold standard for indie ranged units is definitely the hoburg crossbowman.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I am liking the Esufo swordsmen. I can mass them fairly quickly assuming I can find a forest province, and they're ok up close.

The dinosaurs are ridiculously hard to work right though with them scurrying around everywhere.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The dinomod spearmen are 587 years old for some reason and thus completely useless.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

dis astranagant posted:

The dinomod spearmen are 587 years old for some reason and thus completely useless.

Do they just turn into dust the moment they're recruited or something

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

dis astranagant posted:

That is ridiculous. I didn't do anything to their age or anything that would impact it so I don't know why that would happen. Thanks for the catch, I'll fix it.

Donkringel posted:

I am liking the Esufo swordsmen. I can mass them fairly quickly assuming I can find a forest province, and they're ok up close.

The dinosaurs are ridiculously hard to work right though with them scurrying around everywhere.

Yeah, there's a lot of undisciplined going on with dinosaurs which makes for interesting challenges in spite of the strong stats.

EDIT: dis_astrangant, I'm not seeing the age thing on the spearmen in the current version. All of the spearmen are showing up as ~22 out of 50 years old, whether I look at the starting ones or ones I've just recruited.

Schneeble fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 20, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh, looks like it's a conflict with the debug mod. Still something that probably needs fixing :v:

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Any word on how the awesome mod suite or CBM are going in terms of gettin on to dom 4? Mainly interested in the pretender overhauls/additions to hopefully see more variety in them in the future.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm working on a CoE3 conversion for Dom4 and I'm itching to have a test game once I finish Enchanter. That would be 5 nations done.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

LordLeckie posted:

Any word on how the awesome mod suite or CBM are going in terms of gettin on to dom 4? Mainly interested in the pretender overhauls/additions to hopefully see more variety in them in the future.

What you don't like dragons?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What are peoples thoughts on the disciples option? It seems cool having a legitimate team mode, but then that does eliminate trading and agreements to some degree.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Disciples games are a lot of fun, but they take a much higher degree of organization, and you can't quit if things go awry.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The trading goes internal (and is therefore much easier to arrange and far more extensive) and as we saw in MadPantheon there's still potential for external diplo. Especially in games with numerous smaller teams.

I really enjoy disciple games but as Speleo says it takes team organization to make it fun and also quitting without subs really fucks teams.

On mods, CBM I know is being worked on, slowly. AE/AG is probably also. I haven't got past the concept stage for DE but one day I'll have something. Basically full-scale mods take time, unfortunately, so we'll probably have some in the next 6 months.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah disciples games are a lot of fun i just wish mine would stop getting completely hosed over in various ways.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Kinda disappointed that there isn't a Hoburg nation. Modders, help us.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Have Some Flowers! posted:

its been done for dom3, iirc it was hilariously overpowered like most mod nations

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I have a feeling one even existed for dominions 2.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I've got one like 85% done. Just need to reinstall Gimp and do the sprites, maybe add one or two more troops.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Have Some Flowers! posted:

I kinda wish there were mods to port the Conquest of Elysium races and mechanics over to Dominions. Dwarfs who have giant Dwarf queens that essentially lay dwarf eggs and the only way to make new queens is to cover the eggs in precious gems? That's loving great. Or the one that's based on opening apocalyptic seals to get ever bigger demons. I'm pretty sure their win condition is actually just "broke the last seal - world ends. You...win?"

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 22, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

I kinda wish there were mods to port the Conquest of Elysium races and mechanics over to Dominions.
Amuys is doing at least some of this.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I already did five of them, I'm doing dwarves next. The problem is balancing them, but I can work something out. Enchanter with recruitable golems, Baron with autosummon units, Cultist with extremely powerful thaumaturgy spells, etc.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

amuayse posted:

I already did five of them, I'm doing dwarves next. The problem is balancing them, but I can work something out. Enchanter with recruitable golems, Baron with autosummon units, Cultist with extremely powerful thaumaturgy spells, etc.

Wouldn't the cultists just be R'lyeh?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Sorta. In CoE, the Cult are blood sacrificing humans that worship the Atlantians (Deep Ones), Illithids, and Horrors.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
So how can / should I use the various X Storm spells? They look amazing but I'm not too sure how I can actually use them without frying/melting my mages and the entire army as well.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

So how can / should I use the various X Storm spells? They look amazing but I'm not too sure how I can actually use them without frying/melting my mages and the entire army as well.

Cast resistance spells on your army/mages or just summon up things with native resistance. Having some of your chaff die from a friendly firestorm isn't a terribly big deal especially if it's killing the other guys' mages and troops.

You can also just bring a very small number of troops and spam elementals to make a melee wall while the X storm does its thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Eschatos posted:

Wouldn't the cultists just be R'lyeh?

Using this mention of R'lyeh as a flimsy excuse for a segue I've just joined the waterworld MP game (all UW nations from all ages in an all-water map) as MA R'lyeh at the behest of a friend, despite having not played any Dom4 yet and having never played MA R'lyeh in Dom3.

They seem pretty weak and I really have absolutely no idea what my strategy should be or how to build a pretender for them and Dom4 doesn't even appear to have come with a manual so I'm really lost as to what's any good now.

I know the basics of how to do things and played a few MP games in Dom3, but in this particular game I'm going to be totally out of my element.

Can anybody give me a breakdown on pretender creation and basic strategy for these guys?

• Locked thread