Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

drunken officeparty posted:

I watched Antichrist yesterday. It was the first and only Lars Von Trier movie I've seen. It wasn't as omg gross shocking as some things I read made it out to be, but it was pretty good. Even if it barely made sense at all. Is Melancholia worth watching if I liked it?

Definitely worth a watch--I liked Melancholia a lot more than Antichrist. Melancholia is a really gorgeous looking movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I watched Antichrist yesterday. It was the first and only Lars Von Trier movie I've seen. It wasn't as omg gross shocking as some things I read made it out to be, but it was pretty good. Even if it barely made sense at all. Is Melancholia worth watching if I liked it?

I liked Melancholia much more than AntiChrist. It's probably my favorite Lars von Trier movie. The opening sequence alone is astonishing, the moreso if you're already familiar with the music (Tristan and Isolde prelude)

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Antichrist is superficially very different from Melancholia. It doesn't have any shocking gore moments, but Melancholia does share this sense that the characters are hopelessly overwhelmed. Antichrist seems like its more accessible; I believe you have to be in just the right frame of mind when starting Melancholia to enjoy it. That said, I loved it and would recommend you check it out on a lonely night while you're feeling a bit down.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Melancholia is amazing. I saw it in the theater the evening after my divorce was finalized.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Melancholia is great, best Von Trier in years.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I still disagree about Melancholia. Yes, it is beautifully shot but it is the single most boring film I have ever seen. Its a movie about depression that made me want to kill myself out of sheer boredom.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Melancholia is amazing. I saw it in the theater the evening after my divorce was finalized.

Hahahaha that's incredible in a good way.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Transistor Rhythm posted:

this had to have been quite an incredible experience

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

crondaily posted:

Jack Reacher was really great, reminded me of Eraser.

Herzog is loving awesome as well.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I agree that Melancholia was an incredibly boring slog but the payoff was worth it. And I don't mean the money shot of Kirsten Dunst, I mean the revelation that her crippling depression ended up making her best equipped to deal with the end of the world. I mean, that's what I got out of it, anyone agree/disagree?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

LloydDobler posted:

I agree that Melancholia was an incredibly boring slog but the payoff was worth it. And I don't mean the money shot of Kirsten Dunst, I mean the revelation that her crippling depression ended up making her best equipped to deal with the end of the world. I mean, that's what I got out of it, anyone agree/disagree?
I remember reading Lars von Trier basically saying that. People that are depressed always expect the worst, so when it actually happens they are prepared.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

LloydDobler posted:

Well, another interpretation is that the other planet is simply metaphorical. It could be interpreted as Dunst's depression becoming all-encompassing and a (again metaphorical) look at how all the parties involved deal with it. Or one could assume that she's already at that point and the disaster event at the end is actually her committing suicide -- something for which she greets with calm acceptance and everyone else is grief struck. "Melancholia" is actually literal melancholy / depression, with effects as real and as devastating, at least to the people involved, as an actual apocalypse would be. Having been through the suicide of my wife some years back, I can certainly vouch for how it feels in a very real way like the end of the world.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

regulargonzalez posted:

Well, another interpretation is that the other planet is simply metaphorical. It could be interpreted as Dunst's depression becoming all-encompassing and a (again metaphorical) look at how all the parties involved deal with it. Or one could assume that she's already at that point and the disaster event at the end is actually her committing suicide -- something for which she greets with calm acceptance and everyone else is grief struck. "Melancholia" is actually literal melancholy / depression, with effects as real and as devastating, at least to the people involved, as an actual apocalypse would be. Having been through the suicide of my wife some years back, I can certainly vouch for how it feels in a very real way like the end of the world.

Another interpretation is zzzzzzzzzz.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I felt I missed out on a lot of the experience of Antichrist by watching it in less than perfect Netflix streaming quality. Is Melancholia just as visual?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

I felt I missed out on a lot of the experience of Antichrist by watching it in less than perfect Netflix streaming quality. Is Melancholia just as visual?

It can't hurt to watch it on Netflix, and then pick up the blu-ray if you really like it. There are a lot of dark colors and dramatic lighting that probably won't look as nice on Netflix.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

vivisectvnv posted:

Herzog is loving awesome as well.

Ok, spoiling everything: Herzog's villain was wasted, boring, and had no depth. You'd expect some sort of want for vengeance seeing as how he was in a Siberian gulag, but we get nothing there. He just wants to take over the construction business of the second-largest city in Pennsylvania for money. The whole movie is supposed to be about clearing the Army guy's name as well as Cruise's, but then he just fucks off in the last scene having murdered the bad guy and telling the lawyer to deal with it, oo-rah I am above the law. The whole thing was some grotesque wish fulfillment: Cruise is the ultimate ladies man who also is super good with guns and is crazy smart and also can do karate, because this movie was written by a twelve year old. There's also this vile anti-woman theme: Cruise antagonizes a woman, then after beating up her friends, goes to intimidate her in person at her job, and steals her car. She then gets murdered for no goddamn reason, to set up Cruise as the murderer, but the detective was in on it the whole time, making it completely unnecessary. Jack Reacher was terrible.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Let's not forget the old guy who doesn't want to have Cruise use his gun to illegally kill people, but is apparently fine with murdering a few himself.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

:bubblewoop: Archer Season 4 is on (Canadar) Netflix! :bubblewoop:

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Just finished The Act of Killing and drat , I didn't expect it to be so loving weird. The whole tone of the film, and the attitudes of almost everyone in it were so at odds with the subject matter, it was more surreal to me than anything else.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005
Am I the only one who thought Jack Reacher was a comedy? Herzog was hilarious in such a cheesy way. He almost seemed to start hissing in his last scene.

I mean, it had to be a comedy....

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

red19fire posted:

:bubblewoop: Archer Season 4 is on (Canadar) Netflix! :bubblewoop:

Still not on American Netflix. :(

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

Ok, spoiling everything: Herzog's villain was wasted, boring, and had no depth. You'd expect some sort of want for vengeance seeing as how he was in a Siberian gulag, but we get nothing there. He just wants to take over the construction business of the second-largest city in Pennsylvania for money. The whole movie is supposed to be about clearing the Army guy's name as well as Cruise's, but then he just fucks off in the last scene having murdered the bad guy and telling the lawyer to deal with it, oo-rah I am above the law. The whole thing was some grotesque wish fulfillment: Cruise is the ultimate ladies man who also is super good with guns and is crazy smart and also can do karate, because this movie was written by a twelve year old. There's also this vile anti-woman theme: Cruise antagonizes a woman, then after beating up her friends, goes to intimidate her in person at her job, and steals her car. She then gets murdered for no goddamn reason, to set up Cruise as the murderer, but the detective was in on it the whole time, making it completely unnecessary. Jack Reacher was terrible.

Someone dragged me to this and I walked out a third of the way in because it was disgustingly, unapologetically misogynistic. I was expecting dumb mary sue action hero movie with the usual sexism that entails, but drat this movie was just nauseating. The intro sequence was really well done and set it up to be a good thriller, but the moment Cruise's character was on screen the tension was completely gone because you knew he'd say dumb lines that everyone would react to like they were really witty and disarming, then do some really clunky karate and save the day.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Breakfast All Day posted:

Someone dragged me to this and I walked out a third of the way in because it was disgustingly, unapologetically misogynistic. I was expecting dumb mary sue action hero movie with the usual sexism that entails, but drat this movie was just nauseating. The intro sequence was really well done and set it up to be a good thriller, but the moment Cruise's character was on screen the tension was completely gone because you knew he'd say dumb lines that everyone would react to like they were really witty and disarming, then do some really clunky karate and save the day.

I laughed so hard at the scene with the goons in the meth house. That was so hilarious and mostly because of how jarring it was to all of a sudden have the tone of the movie switch from relatively serious to straight up three stooges type slapstick. Amazing.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Everything about Jack Reacher was baffling. It's like they didn't know if he was supposed the be a good guy or a psychopath, and rather than penning a convincing anti-hero he just sort of bounces in between both. The tone-shift in the meth house just came out of nowhere, the cinematography was bad, the logic was terrible (e.g., old man objects to another man killing a bunch of guys with his rifle, but gleefully does it himself), the dialogue was even worse ("That's just what girls like me do” ;_; ) and I spent a good portion of the film just flabbergasted at how it got released like that.

But, hey, there was the occasional funny line. So there is that. I'd say I was equally parts entertained, confused, and disgusted by it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pretty much agree with all this Jack Reacher talk. The whole movie seemed like it was penned by a group of 12 year olds who watched a Bond film and then went "Hey dudes, let's write an action movie!".

"I'll drink you're blood from a boot!". What?

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?
It was based on the book One Shot from the Jack Reacher series. They sort of took the gist of the book and some of the characters and compressed it into what the movie turned out to be.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

After all the talk in the thread, I watched Melancholia last night and I really wanted to like it but it was mostly pretty boring to me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

After all the talk in the thread, I watched Melancholia last night and I really wanted to like it but it was mostly pretty boring to me.

I felt the same way when I watched it. It's very pretty, but it's not high on my list of good Von Trier movies. I know a lot of people were very affected by the movie's treatment of depression, but I mostly found it too heavy-handed to be effective.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
How's The Square?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Reiterating that if you have Netflix Instant and don't now watch The Act of Killing, I really don't know what to tell you.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Watched Cutie and the Boxer last night and really enjoyed it. It's nominated for an academy award for best documentary this year and is definitely up there in quality. I think The Act of Killing is a little better, but this one is a lot more lighthearted and quirky.

Poking around a bit, it looks like almost all the films nominated for best doc are on Netflix right now. The only missing one is 20 Feet From Stardom. Here are the rest:
The Act of Killing
Cutie and the Boxer
Dirty Wars
The Square

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

How tough a watch is The Act of Killing? Sounds like a fascinating film but I'm not sure if I'm in the right frame of mind for genocide and murder right now.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

marktheando posted:

How tough a watch is The Act of Killing? Sounds like a fascinating film but I'm not sure if I'm in the right frame of mind for genocide and murder right now.

It walks a weird line of being tough to watch and completely captivating. They balance the horror of what happened with humor. There isn't much explicit gore--what's there is some low budget stuff from the film they're making (which is meant to be kind of funny). There's not a deep, depressing tone to the movie but it isn't a happy ending either.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

marktheando posted:

In terms of gore? Not very tough at all. There's some very cheesy, very fake gore in Anwar Congo's film. A lot of it in fact, but it's all so fake that it's hard to take seriously.

In terms of your state of mind afterward? Tough.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

In terms of gore? Not very tough at all. There's some very cheesy, very fake gore in Anwar Congo's film. A lot of it in fact, but it's all so fake that it's hard to take seriously.

In terms of your state of mind afterward? Tough.

Yeah I was meaning the latter, so I think I will wait a while before watching!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Act of Killing is oddly more watchable than you'd expect, but that's mainly because what you're watching goes so beyond the usual real of outrage that your brain will have trouble processing it as you're watching the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

The Act of Killing is oddly more watchable than you'd expect, but that's mainly because what you're watching goes so beyond the usual real of outrage that your brain will have trouble processing it as you're watching the movie.

The use of humor in the movie is really interesting. At the outset the humor, though very dark, helps the movie go down a little easier. But by the end the whole movie has gotten so suffocatingly dark that the humor retroactively becomes more disturbing.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Put it this way: One of the most stunning and incredible scenes of The Act of Killing is a simple interview on a daytime talk show.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The use of humor in the movie is really interesting. At the outset the humor, though very dark, helps the movie go down a little easier. But by the end the whole movie has gotten so suffocatingly dark that the humor retroactively becomes more disturbing.

I'm not really referring to any lightness or humor that's in the film (though there is a surprising amount), it's more that what's happening on screen at any given time is so utterly bizarre in terms of how you expect people to act and how you expect the world to be in general that, for me at least, it's hard for your brain to fully even process what it's seeing until hours later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I thought it was kind of boring. Ok I get it these guys killed a bunch of people and now are old men who have no idea the cameramen are making fun of them. I'm so shocked and appalled at hearing them kind of describe killing people.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 18, 2014

• Locked thread