Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Kim Jong Il posted:

Stanton can be a perfectly capable Shaun Hill type. I genuinely think Trent Edwards was good but couldn't stay healthy to save his life.

If you completely ignore his inability to play then sure!

Dude was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Excuse me but I can't help but notice you're disparaging of the Lions' winningest QB of 2010.

There is a strong chance that it was actually Shaun Hill and I'm remembering wrong

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Intruder posted:

Didn't Trent Edwards have a ridiculously weak arm?

"Doesn't"

Trent Edwards is currently number 2 on the Raiders QB Depth chart :colbert:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Blitz7x posted:

"Doesn't"

Lol the raiders

So are you guys going to have a healthy and competent oline this year?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Dattserberg posted:

If you completely ignore his inability to play then sure!

Dude was bad.

He's a perfectly serviceable backup, which places him in the upper echelon of that draft class oddly enough.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Doltos posted:

He was so good in the preseason that I was convinced an Eli injury wouldn't have been a travesty. Thank God nothing happened to test that theory.

Remember that one game when we were resting our starters after a quarter and put Carr in, and he looked so happy just to be playing football again that even the announcers were loving it? That game was great.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Who is eligible to get invited to the East-West shrine game, to the Senior Bowl, and to the Combine, and who actually makes the selection?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Shrine Game just kicked off. Here's a stream if you don't have NFLN

http://www.vipboxus.co/american-football/6455/1/nfl-network-live-stream-online.html

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Toledo WR Bernard Reedy has some serious stone hands early on

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The Shrine Game is American and Canadian players that have exhausted their college eligibility. The Senior Bowl is American players that have either exhausted their eligibility or are early entry players that are redshirt juniors that have already graduated.

Both of them have a staff and committee for player selection. The Shrine Game brings in name coaches that don't have current jobs (this is actually why Romeo Crennel has not technically accepted the Texans DC job yet) pretty early in the process to make selections and assemble a roster for their team, whereas the Senior Bowl usually has a big time former NFL personnel person running it and that's the person who makes the calls for roster selection (it's currently Phil Savage), then turns it over to a selected NFL staff that wasn't in the playoffs but didn't have significant staff turnover for the week (this year it's Atlanta and Jacksonville).

They do serve slightly different purposes. The Shrine Game is technically a college all-star benefit game so it tends to get more college stars that don't have an obvious NFL future and small college stars, while the Senior Bowl is an out and out combine game trying to bring in the best eligible NFL prospects.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I thought the "pro bowl" college games generally had unique players. Was I just thinking wrong, or is Garoppolo a fairly rare attendee to multiple?

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Blitz7x posted:

"Doesn't"

They signed him after the season, I doubt he even has a playbook yet.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm starting to get a crush on Jimmy Garoppolo.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I know everyone says this about Garoppolo and it's why he might be a first or second round pick but geez that's an unusually fast release.

Azhais posted:

I thought the "pro bowl" college games generally had unique players. Was I just thinking wrong, or is Garoppolo a fairly rare attendee to multiple?

It's unusual for a guy to get a Senior Bowl invite and decide to do other games before that, but it's not unusual for the Senior Bowl to give a late invite to a guy that wowed in practices somewhere else. It's not unusual at all for guys to play in multiple smaller games.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

jeffersonlives posted:

I know everyone says this about Garoppolo and it's why he might be a first or second round pick but geez that's an unusually fast release.

If he lights up the Senior Bowl I don't think he'll fall out of the first round. I'm very, very impressed with what he's done so far.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Benne posted:

The Shrine Game just kicked off. Here's a stream if you don't have NFLN

http://www.vipboxus.co/american-football/6455/1/nfl-network-live-stream-online.html

It keeps demanding I install some third party video player, no thanks

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Is it one of those things where you have to find the hidden x to close it?

I was glancing at the rosters and Missouri's got two guys who aren't playing due to injury, but one is on the East and one is on the West. Do they just throw the middle states wherever to keep the teams even?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Strange, Vipbox is usually more reliable than First Row these days. Do you not have Ad Block installed?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Intruder posted:

It keeps demanding I install some third party video player, no thanks

This is better
http://firstrowus1.eu/watch/49037/1/watch-nfl-network.html

...And of course I get in on this when halftime is beginning.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sorry I had it backwards, it was the firstrow stream that has a big "You need to install our player" thing, the vipbox one won't load the stream

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Darth Brooks posted:

This is better
http://firstrowus1.eu/watch/49037/1/watch-nfl-network.html

...And of course I get in on this when halftime is beginning.

Just in time for the Old Spice commercial.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rotoworld posted:

South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney told reporters he will fully participate in the NFL Combine.

"The numbers I am going to put up are going to be amazing," Clowney told Josh Kendall.
Get hype. :getin:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Garoppolo played for Romo's alma mater? Is he................................. clutch?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's where my parents went to college and met, so having two Eastern QBs in the NFL would be pretty cool

e: I keep seeing things pop up about the Texans sending the #33 to the Patriots for Mallett

NO TEXANS BAD TEXANS *whap*

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 19, 2014

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
"Gabe Ikard" has a fairly unfortunate name with that QB's accent. Sounded like "Gay Biker"

Actually been a pretty decent game thus far. Last year's was a little bland I thought

edit: 80 sure can jump

edit2: amazing pick by Cockrell there

Azhais fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 19, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Benne posted:

If he lights up the Senior Bowl I don't think he'll fall out of the first round. I'm very, very impressed with what he's done so far.

It's crazy how he just flicks it and it just sails perfectly, blows my mind every time I see it

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Garoppolo is a strong name.

Since we rank QBs by name alone, he should be picked before Bortles.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
One of the draft guys I follow on Twitter (I think it was Brugler?) floated the idea of Philly taking Garoppolo and let me say fuuuuuuuuuck that noise. Kelly's offense is scary enough as it is with Foles.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I'm intrigued by Garoppolo. Dominated the FCS level, decisive, quick release, and good pocket presence, quickly adjusted to new receivers, and stood out against the best talent level he's faced in the Shrine Bowl. If he can have similar success at the Senior Bow, then he could catapult into the top 3 rounds. I don't know anything about his arm strength or how he would fit in a Norv Turner offense, but it's good to see another viable QB option emerge since I'm not convinced that taking the 4th or 5th best QB at 8 is the right move for the Vikings.

Tony Pauline is a fan at this stage:

quote:

Jimmy Garoppolo/Eastern Illinois
Mon: Terrific day for Garappolo. Looked poised, in control and accurate with his throws. Did not make his pass catchers work hard to come away with the reception. Possesses a next level arm.
Wed: Impressed as hell with Garappolo. Smart, accurate and shows great timing on his throws. His feel, pocket awareness and the way he easily transitioned to new receivers is impressive.

The big story from the East-West Shrine game was the play of Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. He capped off a buzz-worthy week of practice by going 9-for-14 for 100 yards and a touchdown. His lightening quick release and solid decision making are what stood out the most. Garoppolo is now on his way to the Senior Bowl where he’ll have another chance to improve his climbing draft stock. He has a legitimate chance of working his way into the third round discussion.

Here's an article that includes video of his performance at the Shrine Game:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000314787/article/jimmy-garoppolo-lives-up-to-hype-in-eastwest-shrine-game
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1928578-jimmy-garoppolos-updated-2014-nfl-draft-stock-after-east-west-shrine-game

Aniki fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 19, 2014

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Doltos - What are your thoughts on Jeremy Gallon?

I think if he gets drafted (he is only 5'7" and some change), that he can stick on a team as an underneath receiver.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I loved watching Gallon and it always seemed like he had great WR skills. Kind of looked like a RB playing WR every time I saw him too. Goes up and gets he ball despite his height. I don't think I saw a lot of him returning kicks and punts so I'm not sure in what way he's going to stick to a team.

3rd day pick even though he's pretty talented. Just very small.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Yeah, I think he will need to add the ability to return punts for the NFL.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
Jeremy Gallon being gone makes my ND fan heart grow. Jesus christ that little fucker would light them up every year... just super hard to keep covered.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Grozz Nuy posted:

One of the draft guys I follow on Twitter (I think it was Brugler?) floated the idea of Philly taking Garoppolo and let me say fuuuuuuuuuck that noise. Kelly's offense is scary enough as it is with Foles.

I doubt Kelly takes another pocket guy to back-up Foles, especially one as polished as Garoppolo. I assume he'd take a change of pace guy to back him up, like Boyd or even that robot from South Carolina

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Gallon returned punts a little bit in college, I don't think he was very good at it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

La Canfora is saying the Browns are prepared to trade up from 4 if necessary in order to secure Manziel.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ozu posted:

La Canfora is saying the Browns are prepared to trade up from 4 if necessary in order to secure Manziel.

Clowney/Mack, come on dowwwwwwn :getin:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Ozu posted:

Oh holy poo poo Brown's. God dammit.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Its likely bullshit at this point since they don't even have a coach nevermind going through the pre-draft process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Yep that ain't very useful info at this stage

• Locked thread