Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

choobs posted:

You should try restoring to factory and resetting it up, and if that doesn't work, reload the software: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4367

No dice on either--both apple support and abc support had me do this, and I tried it before calling them and repeated both a fourth time just now as well. I'm thinking it's either on ABCs end, or I need to wait for a software update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have all my media on an external hard drive connected to a Mac Mini. All that media is in an iTunes friendly format, and imported into the iTunes library of the Mac Mini. I then access it all through Home Sharing on the AppleTV.

This has worked great for years, but lately I've had a lot of bufferring and stuttering on my videos. Is the hard drive or the Mac Mini the more likely culprit? They're both pretty old (hard drive from like 2008, Mini from like 2006), but I don't even know if the Mac Mini is doing any processing in this setup. Or it is just acting as a way for the AppleTV to see the media on the drive?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

I have all my media on an external hard drive connected to a Mac Mini. All that media is in an iTunes friendly format, and imported into the iTunes library of the Mac Mini. I then access it all through Home Sharing on the AppleTV.

This has worked great for years, but lately I've had a lot of bufferring and stuttering on my videos. Is the hard drive or the Mac Mini the more likely culprit? They're both pretty old (hard drive from like 2008, Mini from like 2006), but I don't even know if the Mac Mini is doing any processing in this setup. Or it is just acting as a way for the AppleTV to see the media on the drive?

You could try copying a movie from the external drive to the Mac Mini and see if the issue persists. I'm assuming the Mini and Apple TV have wired network connections?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Legdiian posted:

You could try copying a movie from the external drive to the Mac Mini and see if the issue persists. I'm assuming the Mini and Apple TV have wired network connections?

It's tough because it's not repeatable. It'll take like 3 minutes to start a shot that usually starts instantaneously, but then once it's over, if I go back and start it again it'll start instantly.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's tough because it's not repeatable. It'll take like 3 minutes to start a shot that usually starts instantaneously, but then once it's over, if I go back and start it again it'll start instantly.

Just had something similar with a PC. Stuttering videos and long opening times for files on my storage drive. Tried my NAS and videos and documents worked fine. Ended up being the storage drive on my PC was on its last leg. Tried to transfer some files to the NAS that weren't there yet and I was getting abysmal speeds (5k/s) and they would never finish. Replaced the drive and everything works fine now.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Do you have enough space on the mini to copy a few shows you plan on watching? If it never happens on the mini you can look at your media drive. But I agree one of your drives sounds like it's dying. Have you tried SMART tests?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Legdiian posted:

Do you have enough space on the mini to copy a few shows you plan on watching? If it never happens on the mini you can look at your media drive. But I agree one of your drives sounds like it's dying. Have you tried SMART tests?

Unless I read wrong, the movies are being stored on an external drive. SMART testing doesn't work on external drives.

For internal testing, I recommend a program called SMART Utility. We use it in my shop and it finds issues that OSX's Disk Utility often doesn't. http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Hey folks I'm trying to wrap my head around something but it's not working so far.

We have a grocery store and our store purchased two apple TV's for use with some televisions. They need to both display the exact same thing which is just a basic slideshow that displays photos and videos of new items and sales we are having throughout the store. We're having a hell of a time with this though. Someone suggested homesharing but I can't figure out how to make it show a group of 20 photos and a few videos over and over all day long. Then it was suggested we try photo stream and for some reason we can't add videos to our photostream even though we're using iCloud control panel 3.1, when I go to the folder that has our photos it just says add photo and it won't let me add a video. So I'm kind of stumped.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: I think I got homesharing setup. I turned it on in iTunes and picked the photo and videos to share. Went to the Apple TV and selected Computers -> That Folder and it shows all the photos and videos but it doesn't play the videos when you enable a slideshow. It just skips through the photos and ignores the video.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 23, 2014

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

Hey folks I'm trying to wrap my head around something but it's not working so far.

We have a grocery store and our store purchased two apple TV's for use with some televisions. They need to both display the exact same thing which is just a basic slideshow that displays photos and videos of new items and sales we are having throughout the store. We're having a hell of a time with this though. Someone suggested homesharing but I can't figure out how to make it show a group of 20 photos and a few videos over and over all day long. Then it was suggested we try photo stream and for some reason we can't add videos to our photostream even though we're using iCloud control panel 3.1, when I go to the folder that has our photos it just says add photo and it won't let me add a video. So I'm kind of stumped.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: I think I got homesharing setup. I turned it on in iTunes and picked the photo and videos to share. Went to the Apple TV and selected Computers -> That Folder and it shows all the photos and videos but it doesn't play the videos when you enable a slideshow. It just skips through the photos and ignores the video.

Did a quick Google and found this :

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24514425#24514425

So looks like no.

I did see someone make a suggestion on another thread which was to take all the photos and videos you want and merge them together into an iMovie project. Export that movie and just have the Apple TV show that movie on repeat. Probably not quite as easy to update, but once you use iMovie a few times I'm sure you could churn out updates in less than 10 minutes.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Legdiian posted:

Did a quick Google and found this :

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24514425#24514425

So looks like no.

I did see someone make a suggestion on another thread which was to take all the photos and videos you want and merge them together into an iMovie project. Export that movie and just have the Apple TV show that movie on repeat. Probably not quite as easy to update, but once you use iMovie a few times I'm sure you could churn out updates in less than 10 minutes.

Yeah I just came across that one a few minutes ago. Thanks. We'll find someone with a mac and play with iMovie and see what we can come up with. If Apple ever opens up the interface to Apple TV they could make a lot of money using those things as presentation devices in retail stores.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yeah I just came across that one a few minutes ago. Thanks. We'll find someone with a mac and play with iMovie and see what we can come up with. If Apple ever opens up the interface to Apple TV they could make a lot of money using those things as presentation devices in retail stores.
Well you don't need iMovie necessarily, just anything that can put it all together export an MP4 movie.

As far as opening it up, for your use at least one possible solution for now might be an iOS device and AirPlay (and whatever app for presentation), but that'll only output to one at a time. An HDMi splitter/distributor would get around that if the layout would work for that type of setup.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I feel like "Use Plex" is the answer to pretty much every problem presented in this thread.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah I just came across that one a few minutes ago. Thanks. We'll find someone with a mac and play with iMovie and see what we can come up with.

If iMovie isn't ideal, you might also mess with Keynote, which I believe has an 'export as movie' option.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
For a slideshow, just save any images you want to the iCloud and just open up iCloud photos and click slide show. If you scroll down to type you can pick classic, adjust the transitions, the time per slide, and you can even set background music.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

For a slideshow, just save any images you want to the iCloud and just open up iCloud photos and click slide show. If you scroll down to type you can pick classic, adjust the transitions, the time per slide, and you can even set background music.

I think the catch is that they want to have movies mixed in with the pictures.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Sweet, I just realized that I can share photos from my Windows 7 laptop to the ATV through iTunes. Same screen saver/slideshow options as the usual iCloud stuff. I had assumed local photo sharing was limited to iPhoto/Mac users. Was this always available or did it just show up in the latest iTunes update?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Minidust posted:

Sweet, I just realized that I can share photos from my Windows 7 laptop to the ATV through iTunes. Same screen saver/slideshow options as the usual iCloud stuff. I had assumed local photo sharing was limited to iPhoto/Mac users. Was this always available or did it just show up in the latest iTunes update?

Pretty sure you could this from the get go (first gen).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looks like Apple TV is finally getting called up to the big leagues.

quote:

Apple appears to be putting its ducks in a row ahead of major Apple TV changes. Alongside last night’s changes to the Apple Online Store to promote Valentine’s Day specials, Apple added an entire Apple TV section.

The Apple TV is now promoted as a full product line alongside Macs, iPads, iPods, and iPhones. Previously, the Apple TV did not have its own section, and it was simply tucked away as an accessory in the dwindling iPod department.

Not only does the Apple TV now have its own section, but it now has promoted and dedicated accessory, AppleCare, refurbished, and community question/answer sections.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/28/apple-tv-graduates-from-hobbyaccessory-to-product-line-ahead-of-major-changes/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Please please please will they finally add an Amazon Prime app. It's the one big glaring thing it's missing. That said, I love the Atv and it's easily the most used Apple device in my house besides our iPhones.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bung Harmer posted:

Please please please will they finally add an Amazon Prime app.
At this point I'm actually more interested in a Steam in-house streaming client. I tried out streaming to my rMBP the other day and it was pretty neat. It immediately had me wishing my Apple TV had a client.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I don't do a whole lot of gaming anymore, but I can see the appeal. Would Steam even be interested in that right now since they are putting a lot of work into Steambox and Steam OS or whatever it's called?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bung Harmer posted:

I don't do a whole lot of gaming anymore, but I can see the appeal. Would Steam even be interested in that right now since they are putting a lot of work into Steambox and Steam OS or whatever it's called?
They don't make money from the hardware anyway. They're just trying to get Steam on as many devices as possible because it will get more games sold through their client. To that end, I can't see why they wouldn't entertain a Steam streaming client on Apple TV. Would Apple entertain it? That's another question.

edit: We'd probably need an 802.11ac-compatible Apple TV for decent performance anyway, though I suppose GigE is always an option for some people who have the wires in place already.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 28, 2014

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Bung Harmer posted:

Please please please will they finally add an Amazon Prime app. It's the one big glaring thing it's missing. That said, I love the Atv and it's easily the most used Apple device in my house besides our iPhones.

I desperately want an Amazon app natively on my ATV, but just to make sure you know, the Amazon Video app for the iPhone/iPad supports AirPlay.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I'm not holding my breath on the Amazon streaming app.

Doesn't Apple have a "hang up" with Amazon since Amazon also sells the Kindle?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LaserWash posted:

I'm not holding my breath on the Amazon streaming app.

Kindle and Amazon video are on iOS. The disagreement between them is payments since Apple takes their cut for content purchased through their devices, hence why a bunch of apps pulled in app purchase options a while back. For an AppleTV app they may require a way to subscribe through the app for internet services vs only having a sign in option. I don't know if all the others are like that but it seems like the ones I've seen have both options.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

LaserWash posted:

It seems like Apple doesn't want to allow any services that compete with iTunes as far as selling you individual movies and TV shows. Subscription video services seem OK.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

smackfu posted:

It seems like Apple doesn't want to allow any services that compete with iTunes as far as selling you individual movies and TV shows. Subscription video services seem OK.

That's probably more it than the kindle thing. I seem to recall that now.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I am going nuts. I cannot, for the life of me, find a simple DAC/amp to go alongside my atv3. Here is what I need:

-1 digital input (HDMI or optical)
-1 stereo RCA input
-1 stereo RCA output
-Speaker cable output/binding post
-A MOTHERFUCKING IR RECEIVER SO I CAN CONTROL THE GODDAMN VOLUME WITHOUT GETTING UP
-Not gigantic like every other home theater thing
-Under $300

How does a product like this not exist? It's dumb as hell.

Everything out there is some massive gently caress you home theater bookshelf destroyer receiver with 234 different kinds of inputs and hundreds of Dolby rear end Surround Sound THX Certified ASS4.6 TruSurround AirPlay Certified Samsung Digital Sony EAX AWE32 poo poo that I will never use that costs $2000.

edit: That Lepai stuff on eBay is garbage. I've had a few models and they sound like crap and have a low buzz.

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 8, 2014

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The ATV would be a home entertainment game changer if they'd open it up to an app store like any other iOS device.

I really hope they do it eventually.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Death to the OUYA!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Any reason my audio would be out of sync on my apple tv after getting a new tv? No receiver in between, WDTV Live doesn't have any problems and I don't have any any video processing on that I'm aware of. Its a Samsung F5300 plasma.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

vas0line posted:

I am going nuts. I cannot, for the life of me, find a simple DAC/amp to go alongside my atv3. Here is what I need:

This doesn't have RCA-out and isn't under $300 but it would look nice next to an ATV: http://www.neuhauslabs.com/t1amplifier/

What exactly are you trying to do anyway? Remote volume control and RCA-out on a small device like that is rather special-snowflake and probably the reasons you aren't finding any. Can your TV not do pass-through audio?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

bizwank posted:

This doesn't have RCA-out and isn't under $300 but it would look nice next to an ATV: http://www.neuhauslabs.com/t1amplifier/

What exactly are you trying to do anyway? Remote volume control and RCA-out on a small device like that is rather special-snowflake and probably the reasons you aren't finding any. Can your TV not do pass-through audio?
The TV can, but the thing is I don't want to have to keep the TV on while I just want to listen to music in the room. I mean, I guess I could buy an extra optical-whatever DAC box and a regular boring old amp, but there has to be something out there that does it already.
NAD D 3020 would be *almost* perfect, but there is no line out and it's like $500.

Maybe I'll just DIY one and market it to other special snowflake wanters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Couldn't you just pick up an Airport Express and hook it into your speakers? Seems to be a pretty easy solution.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Bung Harmer posted:

Couldn't you just pick up an Airport Express and hook it into your speakers? Seems to be a pretty easy solution.
Not really. There would still not be a way to get ATV -> Speakers without a DAC and amplifier.
This is for a very simple ATV watching/music listening setup... We're not big home theaterers.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

vas0line posted:

Not really. There would still not be a way to get ATV -> Speakers without a DAC and amplifier.
This is for a very simple ATV watching/music listening setup... We're not big home theaterers.

If you hook the speakers to the airport, you can use the ATV to automatically put out audio over airplay to said speakers. That is exactly how I do this, and it works fine.

EDIT: That means no DAC and no Amp. I use this speaker, but use the wired connection.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 9, 2014

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Has anyone successfully gotten 5.1 audio to work with airplay and airvideo hd?

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

Raymn posted:

Any reason my audio would be out of sync on my apple tv after getting a new tv? No receiver in between, WDTV Live doesn't have any problems and I don't have any any video processing on that I'm aware of. Its a Samsung F5300 plasma.

If you're playing the same content through a different device on the same TV with no problems, try restarting the ATV and see if that helps. I don't have this TV but I do get audio sync problems. I have a couple of ATV 3's and have tried it on multiple TVs and I always get the same issue. For me, a restart of the ATV will fix it, but it will eventually come back after a while. Other people seem to have the same issue, judging by a google search, and there doesn't seem to be one solution. Some people recommend messing around with the audio settings on the ATV (turning off Dolby, etc), but these have never worked for me.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Kaizoku posted:

If you hook the speakers to the airport...
Which you can't, because the airport has no speaker terminals. Add this to it though and it does:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/twenty-airplay-amplifier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

e.pilot posted:

Has anyone successfully gotten 5.1 audio to work with airplay and airvideo hd?

I get 5.1 surround when I airplay UFC events from the UFC app.

• Locked thread