Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
This cartoon is :smith:

Paul Conrad was a LA Times cartoonist and a hardcore liberal. He won THREE Pulitzer Prize.

He was forced into retirement in 1993 by the new owners of the paper. The cartoonist that replaced Conrad? Michael Ramirez. You can figure out why Conrad was asked to leave. He continued to draw for syndication until his death in 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mister Beeg posted:

Paul Conrad was a LA Times cartoonist and a hardcore liberal. He won THREE Pulitzer Prize.

He was forced into retirement in 1993 by the new owners of the paper. The cartoonist that replaced Conrad? Michael Ramirez. You can figure out why Conrad was asked to leave. He continued to draw for syndication until his death in 2010.

Holy poo poo that's a good cartoon :smith:

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

gently caress you, Ted Rall.

Also, look at that loving car!!!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bye now, simpletons :smuggo:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Rorus Raz posted:

The biggest pro-choice cartoonists I tend to see are Bennett and Day, although I'd love to see a Rall comic on how he supports abortion because he doesn't want to be forced to pay child support or some self-centered thing.

Signe Wilkinson is one of the few cartoonists who I see regularly posted around the internet (along with Bennet and to a lesser degree Bors) for her cartoons that focus on women's rights. She's one of the few (perhaps only) female syndicated editorial cartoonists working today, and makes plenty of cartoons dealing with women's issues.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Would it be fair to call Rall a less crazy liberal version of Muir? Both seem obsessed with how loving cool they are, both constantly spew shitthatdidn'thappen.txt, both are awful artists, both have weird issues with women, etc.?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Ammat The Ankh posted:

She's one of the few (perhaps only) female syndicated editorial cartoonists working today, and makes plenty of cartoons dealing with women's issues.

Lisa Benson is another female cartoonist, but she's right-wing.

There used to be Ann Telnaes. She was a big-time feminist and won a Pulitzer for her cartoons. She left syndication years ago, alas, although she does animation for Washington Post (she used to work for Disney)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mister Beeg posted:

Did the LA Times used to be a lot more right-wing?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pd187 posted:

gently caress you, Ted Rall.

Also, look at that loving car!!!

If it wasn't for that license plate I would swear that was the front of the car, jeez.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

I didn't realize you were into masochism...

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Streeter's boring cartoons don't really live up to the physical pain his eye razor font inflicts upon his readers.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!
I can only imagine how a culture which ultimately stresses in-group belonging, shaming, and deference to authority influences confession rates. I imagine that prosecutors rarely have to try a case in which the suspect has not hosed things up for themselves royally in Japan.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Not a great cartoon- the fig leaf metaphor isn't that well-known outside legal circles.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

That body looks horrifying. Please put a shirt on, Sam.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Discendo Vox posted:

Not a great cartoon- the fig leaf metaphor isn't that well-known outside legal circles.

I don't think I've ever heard of it. What is it?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Honestly, I laugh at this one because it seems like a parody of the idea that you can always find a way to compromise between opposite positions. But it's Rall, so I know it's really "I'm so much smarter than you."

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't know if there's a separate, special legal version, but as someone who knows jack poo poo about law, that cartoon seems fine. Thanks to NSA spying, the American populace is effectively naked, and the reforms offered by the president are insignificant - just enough to cover Uncle Sam's junk.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I can see why Rall considers himself to be an alternative cartoonist. He's certainly an alternative to good taste and humour.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

There's this book called The Bible you may have heard of...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of it. What is it?

It's actually pretty close to what King of Solomon describes in his post above. You can call an argument a "fig leaf" if it barely addresses the needs/problems of the situation, and other, negative outcomes are falsely justified using this excuse.

For example, one could say that the NSA's secret collection of domestic information is a figleaf for Snowden's broader disclosure of classified material to foreign powers.

Babby Formed posted:

There's this book called The Bible you may have heard of...

I appreciate the literal origins of the metaphor. Its actual use, however, I've only encountered in law school, and with a second element mentioning what the fig leaf conceals. One consequence in the case of the Bennett cartoon is that it's not clear exactly what the nudity of the US represents. NSA programs in general? Domestic intelligence operations? Foreign spying? Foreign interventionist policy in general? It's not clear.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 19, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Really? I've both heard and used "fig leaf" my entire life for something utterly inadequate to the task but still "technically" acceptable. I'm not a lawyer nor are my parents. I figured it was pretty common.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Guess I was wrong, then. Sorry about that- language can be weird that way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I also had no clue what it meant.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

If it weren't for NSA reform they'd see myI mean Uncle Sam's tiny misshapen penis.

I guess.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Discendo Vox posted:

Guess I was wrong, then. Sorry about that- language can be weird that way.

No need to apologize! It may be a class thing.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stultus Maximus posted:

Did the LA Times used to be a lot more right-wing?

I believe the LA Times was reactionary for most of its history until around the early '60s, when a change in management steered it left. They were initially big supporters of the home town boy Nixon, for example, but had "turned" on him by the time of his first presidential race.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Going through Prickly City archives, there was a time when somebody other than Stantis and Allie did the artwork (just for one week).

The artist is Sarah White. Apparently she was friends with Stantis's son. She has her own comic here.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I appreciate the literal origins of the metaphor. Its actual use, however, I've only encountered in law school, and with a second element mentioning what the fig leaf conceals. One consequence in the case of the Bennett cartoon is that it's not clear exactly what the nudity of the US represents. NSA programs in general? Domestic intelligence operations? Foreign spying? Foreign interventionist policy in general? It's not clear.
Being stripped naked is clearly a reference to losing your privacy. The cartoon works quite well and is easy to understand because the chosen metaphor is actually appropriate to what he's commenting on.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Hey guess what is the #1 cause of mass shootings? single mothers

get hosed, Muir

e: I also habitually state full URLs in conversations with my significant other

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

MisterBadIdea posted:

Uh... what? What does "sincere ignorance" have to do with Bridgegate? Or even Christie in general? I mean, I guess you could make the case that some of his policies are bad and maybe that's because Christie hasn't examined his ideology, but that's still an Evel-Kneivel-length leap away from any of the prevailing Chris Christie narratives.

Is that even Christie?

This is late, but it's referring to the fact that the day after the tapes revealed that Christie's minions were involved, he had a press conference where he pleaded 'sincere ignorance' of all charges while simultaneously throwing all of his minions under the bus.

EDIT: God drat this thread is moving fast.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

colonel_korn posted:

"H T T P colon slash slash granite grok dot com slash blog slash twenty-thirteen slash ten slash efficient dash gun dash control dash that dash actually dash makes dash sense," my super hot half-Japanese redhead wife seductively whispers into my ear as we go shooting in our backyard.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
You can probably already tell that this whole "mass shooters were registered Democrats" idea is bullshit through and through, but if you want a thorough debunking, go here: http://www.examiner.com/article/the-idea-that-recent-mass-shooters-are-mostly-registered-democrats-is-a-myth

I do not have time to check all the names on that list, but I picked the first four names I could pick out, and from what I can tell, Cho, Holmes, Loughner, and of course Klebold and Harris all came from two-parent households. Muir seems to be extrapolating from the single data point of Adam Lanza.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Horon posted:

On signing confessions and everything...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE

American cop talks about why you shouldn't talk to the police without a lawyer. He goes into all the different deceitful things they use to get people to sign confessions (he asks the accused to write an apology letter to the family that got their t.v stolen, and then just gives the apology letter to the judge as a confession). But it's OK, he says, because they try really hard to only catch badguys the first time around.

His advice is excellent and I share it with my friends often, but by confession time its usually too late. When police break into your house illegally and kidnap you, you'll plea to anything or everything so long as you're allowed to escape indefinite illegal detention. Browder is a loving man of steel to be locked up as a teenager for absolutely no reason for three years without confessing. The system finally said, *fart, whatever, get out of here. No apology, no compensation (yet).
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?id=9317078

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

colonel_korn posted:

get hosed, Muir

e: I also habitually state full URLs in conversations with my significant other

I love how he's basically blaming the single mothers for the fathers leaving.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MisterBadIdea posted:

You can probably already tell that this whole "mass shooters were registered Democrats" idea is bullshit through and through, but if you want a thorough debunking, go here: http://www.examiner.com/article/the-idea-that-recent-mass-shooters-are-mostly-registered-democrats-is-a-myth

I knew that comic was in horrible taste, and it definitely set off my bullshit detector; good to know it actually is complete and utter bullshit. Thanks for the link!

I think I've figured out why DbD makes me madder than other cartoonists like Ramirez or Lester who distribute just as vile a message to many more people. It's because not only is Muir's viewpoint reprehensible, and not only is his entire universe annoyingly juvenile, but he bases his viewpoint on things that are wrong, and wrong in dangerous ways. Blaming Democrats for mass shootings is one thing; blaming single moms (not absentee dads but single moms, for having the temerity to be left by absentee dads) for mass shootings is just vile, and he's doing it based on bad data. It's the whole "someone is wrong on the Internet :argh:" thing. People being wrong and making decisions based on that just gets under my skin.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Just as a heads up as I only saw the advertisement for it a few minutes ago, but apparently there's going to be an HBO documentary on Herblock on 1/27 at 9 PM.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

MisterBadIdea posted:

I do not have time to check all the names on that list, but I picked the first four names I could pick out, and from what I can tell, Cho, Holmes, Loughner, and of course Klebold and Harris all came from two-parent households. Muir seems to be extrapolating from the single data point of Adam Lanza.

The article's good, sure. But have you read the facebook comments? They're some grade A poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

loquacius posted:

I knew that comic was in horrible taste, and it definitely set off my bullshit detector; good to know it actually is complete and utter bullshit. Thanks for the link!

I think I've figured out why DbD makes me madder than other cartoonists like Ramirez or Lester who distribute just as vile a message to many more people. It's because not only is Muir's viewpoint reprehensible, and not only is his entire universe annoyingly juvenile, but he bases his viewpoint on things that are wrong, and wrong in dangerous ways. Blaming Democrats for mass shootings is one thing; blaming single moms (not absentee dads but single moms, for having the temerity to be left by absentee dads) for mass shootings is just vile, and he's doing it based on bad data. It's the whole "someone is wrong on the Internet :argh:" thing. People being wrong and making decisions based on that just gets under my skin.

Just take a few deep breaths and remember that Muir has no audience, no money, and never had sexual relations without transfer of currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm lovin that angry little rich man :allears:

• Locked thread