Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Looks as though there will be a Beginner Game for Age of Rebellion as well. Tough call for me, since I wouldn't mind another set of dice and another adventure, but obviously don't need another set of rules. I love the character folios as well, but don't need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Looks as though there will be a Beginner Game for Age of Rebellion as well. Tough call for me, since I wouldn't mind another set of dice and another adventure, but obviously don't need another set of rules. I love the character folios as well, but don't need them.

I am all over that. I don't reall need any of the things in it, but the adventure would be great for PbP games or quick pickups, and more dice is great in case I ever lose any of the two sets I have.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If the AoR Beginner's Game comes out second qtr like they plan, does that mean they are shooting for the Core book to release around the same time? I don't remember what the delay was between EotE beginner and core.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

If the AoR Beginner's Game comes out second qtr like they plan, does that mean they are shooting for the Core book to release around the same time? I don't remember what the delay was between EotE beginner and core.

EotE core was June/July-ish, right?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

EotE core was June/July-ish, right?

Sounds about right. Beginner was around December 2012, so I guess earliest we can expect the AoR book would be a Xmas release.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

Sounds about right. Beginner was around December 2012, so I guess earliest we can expect the AoR book would be a Xmas release.

I'm mostly okay with this. I have the Beta book for if I am dying to AoR-centic rules. I knew full well when I bought that thing that I would render it obsolete and buy the Core book as soon as it was out.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I think the Beginner Box for EotE came out way too far ahead of the Core. I'm gonna say July for the AoR core. Because :smithicide:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If nothing else, as a FFG core product, we can assume that the AoR book will come out several months later than originally intended.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are the rules/gameplay still the same for AoR? Is it just different setting/adventures?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kingtheninja posted:

Are the rules/gameplay still the same for AoR? Is it just different setting/adventures?

There's a new mechanic for characters called Duty that's AoR's version of Obligation. There's also some new rules for space combat involving larger ships. Everything else is mostly just fluff differences for it being set in the thick of the Rebellion vs Empire conflict.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Running the AoR beta adventure. Recruitment thread will be up by Monday night.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I would like to take full credit for "convincing" Sinnlos to do this. I mentioned on IRC "Man, I sure wish someone would run that adventure".

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Does anyone have a link to decent character generators online? I feel like that might be a decent tool to crank out some PC's.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This is a .Net application that is a very good character generator. It skirts around being not an FFG product by telling you which page to flip to for most of the content.

SWEotECharGen

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mustache Ride posted:

This is a .Net application that is a very good character generator. It skirts around being not an FFG product by telling you which page to flip to for most of the content.

SWEotECharGen

One of the other features of this generator is that it comes with a utility to edit all the description text. So if you want, you can create a character using the "please refer to page XXX in the Core Rulebook" and then go through and edit in the actual text for whatever talents you chose so the final character sheet will show all the text.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

That builder is really, really good. My players are perma-noobs so having a builder that does all that for them AND shows earned exp / spent exp is a god send.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'm assuming they added most of these species themselves and sort of filled in the blanks? This is pretty awesome.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

They're actually from the Unofficial Species Menagerie. If you want to turn them off and only use the book species, theres an option in "Options" to do that.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Cross posting from the Recruitment thread

Game: Operation: Shell Game/Attack on Titan(Base)
System: StarWars: Age of Rebellion
Players: 6
Format: PbP
Description: Join the Jandoon Green Diamonds to infiltrate a secret Imperial base and steal a prototype starship.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm putting together a beatstick wookiee for a game and toying with the idea of making them force sensitive down the line. So which is a better use of starting xp, Brawn 5 or Willpower 3?
So far as I can tell the only time willpower really comes up with force powers is when attacking someone with a force-moved object, and I'd love to have that be a viable option at some point, but I feel like the extra point of Brawn will be more useful way more often for the character.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

8one6 posted:

I'm putting together a beatstick wookiee for a game and toying with the idea of making them force sensitive down the line. So which is a better use of starting xp, Brawn 5 or Willpower 3?
So far as I can tell the only time willpower really comes up with force powers is when attacking someone with a force-moved object, and I'd love to have that be a viable option at some point, but I feel like the extra point of Brawn will be more useful way more often for the character.

If you are starting as a Marauder you definitely want the Willpower. You need enough Strain threshold to use Frenzied attack and/or defensive stance before you get your Sense power, and Strain Threshold is harder for you to come by than Wound Threshold.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Servetus posted:

If you are starting as a Marauder you definitely want the Willpower. You need enough Strain threshold to use Frenzied attack and/or defensive stance before you get your Sense power, and Strain Threshold is harder for you to come by than Wound Threshold.

I would have said the reverse, since starting with a high soak is HUGE for melee characters, who have to close to range. You won't be able to afford a good gun AND a good melee weapon AND good armor to start, so in the beginning you just have to take the hits to get into melee.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I have a group interested in playing and we are going to be trying it out on roll20 pretty soon. How will Age of Rebellion fit in with EotE? Should I hold out on starting a longer campaign for EotE or will I be able to intertwine the two? Like is there a clear cut difference between the books where you will be jumping up character skills by moving over to AoR, or better off just starting fresh with that book?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

AoR and EotE are almost the same game. JivJov is actually running a play by post game using both games. Transitioning or mashing them together should be incredibly easy to do.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

They seem somewhat compatible.

Re: Roll20. PM me if you want some map materials, etc. Also, this is a great character generator that makes awesome PDFs. http://bit.ly/15dSR5g

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

You can play an EotE campaign and transition into AoR easily. The only crunchy thing you have to do is either add on a Duty (and keep your obligation for story reasons) or fulfill the characters obligation so they can focus on their new Duty to the Rebellion.

A good example of the transition is Han Solo. He went from a character straight out of an EotE campaign, and transitioned into an officer of the Rebellion with a new-found duty. He still had his obligation to Jabba the Hutt, however...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Carteret posted:

You can play an EotE campaign and transition into AoR easily. The only crunchy thing you have to do is either add on a Duty (and keep your obligation for story reasons) or fulfill the characters obligation so they can focus on their new Duty to the Rebellion.

A good example of the transition is Han Solo. He went from a character straight out of an EotE campaign, and transitioned into an officer of the Rebellion with a new-found duty. He still had his obligation to Jabba the Hutt, however...

Exactly this. I was thinking a campaign with both Obligation and Duty in play would be very exciting, with players sometimes torn between paying down the former and building the latter.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The current campaign I'm running for my 3 buddies just transitioned into a EotE/AoR campaign. I told them they all wouldn't be able to use AoR specializations and careers until they joined the Alliance or were outright helping them. The pilot rolled a Triumph on his Astrogation check, I told him he could go essentially anywhere in the galaxy, and the group plotted a course for Mon Calamari. :v:

They are having a great time though, I let them keep their EotE careers and they each took a specialization from AoR after being formally inducted into the Alliance.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

alg posted:

Re: Roll20. PM me if you want some map materials, etc. Also, this is a great character generator that makes awesome PDFs. http://bit.ly/15dSR5g

This would be awesome, I've been scouring around for map stuff but haven't had much luck. I don't have PMs unfortunately but if you don't mind emailing me that would be a huge help.

pwojciechows at gmail dot com

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's good to hear, I still want to start in EotE as I think they setting sounds a lot of fun and I just bought the rulebook. Eventually I'd like them to progress deeper into the civil war and adding obligations would be great.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

alg posted:

I don't have PMs either but if you could send anything useful for EotE Roll20 to thanks! then I'd be very grateful. I've been thinking about putting together a game for my group.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 22, 2014

Orokos
Jul 10, 2013

Too easy~
Yo.

I'm the creator of the Orokos tools. I also go by the name Infidel over on Penny Arcade. I intend to spend some time improving said tools and I would like to focus on the Star Wars stuff. I'm unfortunately not playing any EotE right now so it'd help to have your feedback and suggestions.

Anything about the tools in general, the EotE dice, or EotE character sheets. Yeah, I intend to host sheets generated by OggDude's builder. For those not familiar with the D&D 4e builder sheets, you can upload the exported XML and it gives a shareable online sheet, with the ability to easily roll dice based on your stats and skills and gear. The original 4e sheets didn't have editing/tracking in mind but they currently support power expenditure.

It would be good to hear what people want out of online sheets. Are the printed sheets from the builder missing anything, or have stuff that isn't really necessary? Let me know!

I've been lurking SA's games a bit as they adopted Orokos more and more, according to the logs SA and PA are the biggest userbases. (I've also found some, uh, interesting "RP" sites by backtracking rolls... :raise:)

Thanks all.

p.s. any feedback on major usability issues for the site when it comes to mobile/tablet, I'd like to hear it but I don't know when I'll ever get around to that... :fap:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The 4E game I'm in uses Orokos and we all really like it. Good work, dude.

I'm new to EotE so I don't have much in the way of requirements. I think being able to click on a skill on the sheet to roll a check for it would be great. The one thing that I think could be improved for the EotE dice is the result reporting. Currently it only generates one number, but results in EotE have 3 things: pass/fail, advantage/threat, and triumph/despair, the last of which don't cancel each other.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, about the only feature I could request is more robust reporting of all 3 pairs of symbols on the dice. Other than that, the tool works perfectly. I love the option to get pre-formatted bbcode for forums posting!

Orokos
Jul 10, 2013

Too easy~

jivjov posted:

Yeah, about the only feature I could request is more robust reporting of all 3 pairs of symbols on the dice. Other than that, the tool works perfectly. I love the option to get pre-formatted bbcode for forums posting!

That has been a request from a friend of mine but I'm still not sure how I want to tackle that.

Problem with adding multiple values and units to things is if you guys do something nonsensical. Right now with straight up integers it doesn't matter. Like, 2eP+1eD could result in "2 successes, 1 threat" instead of just "2" but then I'd have to define how 2eP+1eD+1d20 is resolved or make that an invalid expression. Right now it lets you decide how to use the dice and I'm a little hesitant to enforce restrictions on the dice.

Hmmm. I currently show the faces on the EotE dice in the miniresult (shown on the listings/bbcode, normally you don't get faces on those) because the result value is as mentioned not enough. I guess if it summed things up the faces would not be necessary (would still be shown on the roll's page though).

Current:
4eC+1eD: -5 (Th, F/Th, F/F, F/Th) (F)

Options:
4eC+1eD: 5 failures, 3 threat (leave faces off since verbose enough)
4eC+1eD: 5 F, 3 Th (optionally keep the faces on this one?)
(something else?)

Seems like that would be a tuple of four values to keep track of: (S+Tr-F-D, A-Th, Tr, D)

Kinda liking the verbose result, skipping the value entirely if it is 0 except for the first one (so the most boring of results would be "0 successes").

Main problem is teaching the parser which operations are conditionally acceptable. Would it need to recognize anything other than XeY+XeY? I don't think so.

edit:

Forgot about force dice. Probably should disallow combining those with the rest, instead of making it a six-tuple, or else all eF rolls would have "0 successes, " needlessly.

Orokos fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 22, 2014

Orokos
Jul 10, 2013

Too easy~
Also, if anyone using OggDude's builder could help out, export and email me your XML files from that so that I have a nice sample to work with to build and test the online sheet. Thanks!

infidel@orokos.com

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Were I designing it, I would set it to only give out a "3 Success, 2 Threat, 1 Triumph" full result if all the dice rolled were EotE dice. If someone keys in "2eA+1eD+2dF+1d20" just report the faces as is and let the players sort them out.

I would like to request that EotE dice always displaying graphics of the faces is a feature that would stay around. It's a huge plus for me to see the dice faces with the roll.

When I get home from work and am no longer phone-posting, I'll email in a couple of my character sheets for you as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry for the double post, but radically different topic

A "dev diary" for Dangerous Covenants just got posted over on FFG's website.

The big reveal here is the 2 Signature Abilities for the Hired Gun career; Last One Standing and Unmatched Protection. Last One Standing lets you eliminate all minions in the current combat and Unmatched Protection halves incoming damage. It sounds pretty OP, but the article goes on to talk about limitations on each one. Looks like cool stuff. I really like these career supplements!

EDIT: Just found out from my FLGS that Suns of Fortune has arrived! I'll pick it up Friday and will proceed to shower the thread with delicious info.

EDIT2: Some guy on the FFG forums has SoF. Here's info on "Corellain Human"

"Corellian humans don't get the free ranks in two non-career skills. Instead they get one rank in Piloting (Planetary) or Piloting (Space) and can take either or both up to three ranks at character creation. Otherwise as baseline humans."

jivjov fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 23, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

That seems like a fair compromise, and fits the flavor. I think being a Corellian would be cool :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Selonians
2/3/2/1/3/1
11+B, 10+W, 80 XP
1 rank Coordination
remove 1 setback due to darkness
tail is a Brawl weapon (that uses Agility!) Damage +1, Critical 5, Disorient 2, Knockdown (only 1 Advantage to trigger Knockdown, but increase for higher Silhouettes as usual)

Drall
1/1/4/2/2/2
8+B,12+W, 90 XP
1 rank Knowledge (Education)
When using characteristic or skill for skilled assistance also adds a Boost die to pool

• Locked thread