Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Dish posted:

Anyway, I could go on all day about the Gamecube and Wii's architecture. There's lots of really clever, awesome stuff in there. But this isn't the thread for it. Maybe I should post something in YOSPOS about it... hm.

Please do. I wanna see what kinda cool stuff Nintendo's doing at the hardware level. Like, they're always praised for their games, but mostly slandered for their consoles, often by the same group of people who have no idea the work that went into both.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Live sporting events, especially the NFL, also draw huge crowds and lots of families and lots of groups in households watching, so it's always a good idea to advertise during them, whether you think there's crossover or not. When we're talking double digit millions watching every individual game, to ignore that is to just flat out be ignoring America itself. It's just loving dumb.

Nintendo are pretty much ignoring everybody who's not in Japan. We've known this for a while now. Even when Iwata said they're reconsidering how they approach making hardware, my first thought was that they'll do something that caters to Japan's "on the go" mindset and start focusing on handhelds, because that's what's working in Japan.

greatn posted:

Forbes also thought a satire article where Iwata said the problem was Nintendo fans weren't having enough children was true.

It is true. Nintendo makes kids games, and they make them really loving well. We need more 8-12 year olds buying the newest Zelda, not 30+ year olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nintendo are pretty much ignoring everybody who's not in Japan. We've known this for a while now. Even when Iwata said they're reconsidering how they approach making hardware, my first thought was that they'll do something that caters to Japan's "on the go" mindset and start focusing on handhelds, because that's what's working in Japan.

That's not what I'm getting:

Wall Street Journal posted:

Still, Mr. Iwata noted that Nintendo's sales in Japan were better than they were in the U.S. and Europe, and said the company needed a better way of keeping in touch with trends abroad.

"In Japan, I can be my own antenna, but abroad, that doesn't work," he said.
Let's hope those are no mere idle words.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Sounds like they might just cut NOA loose to do their own thing.

Which would not be a bad thing if NOA didn't have to answer to NOJ.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know you could download PSN stuff and put in on your PSP or Vita?

If I could do that with my Wii U and 3DS, I would love Nintendo forever.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Astro7x posted:

-Release an iOS/Android app with every Nintendo game ever on the NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube.

That will never happen. I could see Nintendo releasing a new handheld down the road that has access to a huge chunk of Nintendo's 1st Party backlog through N64 (unless they ended up doing it on the 3DS first), but it won't happen on anything else.

I also like the Netflix instant idea a few people have floated (monthly fee that gives you access to a library of older Nintendo Games, with option to purchase). I remember back when the Virtual Console was first announced for the Wii, I thought that's what the program was going to be like rather than what we have now.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Sounds like they might just cut NOA loose to do their own thing.

Which would not be a bad thing if NOA didn't have to answer to NOJ.

That might actually be one of the best things they could do at this point. It wouldn't solve all of their problems, but it would certainly help if NOA could deal with Western Developers on their own terms instead of finding that they have to back out of early deals at the last minute because someone in NOJ isn't keen to the idea. I can't count the number of times I've heard of someone at NOA getting some kind of deal or progress made with a Western Dev or Publisher only to have someone at NOJ nix the idea at the last minute.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It is true. Nintendo makes kids games, and they make them really loving well. We need more 8-12 year olds buying the newest Zelda, not 30+ year olds.

8-12 year olds don't have the disposable income to buy multiple games that 30+ year olds do. The latter is the audience that actually supports a console for the long haul once console sales start hitting saturation.

Of course, there have to actually be games available to buy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Handsome Ralph posted:

That might actually be one of the best things they could do at this point. It wouldn't solve all of their problems, but it would certainly help if NOA could deal with Western Developers on their own terms instead of finding that they have to back out of early deals at the last minute because someone in NOJ isn't keen to the idea. I can't count the number of times I've heard of someone at NOA getting some kind of deal or progress made with a Western Dev or Publisher only to have someone at NOJ nix the idea at the last minute.

Nintendo of America was responsible for all the early Mario marketing poo poo/merchandise/media(yes including the SMB Movie and the TV show), and it was all spun towards a western audience. Then when poo poo got big they were reigned in because holy poo poo stuff makes money. Roughly around the time of the end of the SNES and N64 was when things started to get bad.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That was what, thirty years ago? I think it's time to give them another chance.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Remember this is the company that was too afraid to re-release Earthbound for a gazillion years because they based it on outdated western stereotypes. This is the type of poo poo that would probably not happen if NOA was in charge of their own region.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

When Smash 4 time comes around they need to do a new version of the original Smash Bros commercial where people in Donkey Kong, Mario, Yoshi and Pikachu costumes fought.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Soul Glo posted:

8-12 year olds don't have the disposable income to buy multiple games that 30+ year olds do. The latter is the audience that actually supports a console for the long haul once console sales start hitting saturation.

How do you think you got games when you were a kid? By bugging your parents for them. Parents still buy their kids games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, kids can not buy things themselves but they are a prime market for sales because they can get their parents to buy them things and are more likely to care more about the shiny thing they want than "maybe I should consider if I really want this thing?"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nintendo of America was responsible for all the early Mario marketing poo poo/merchandise/media(yes including the SMB Movie and the TV show), and it was all spun towards a western audience. Then when poo poo got big they were reigned in because holy poo poo stuff makes money. Roughly around the time of the end of the SNES and N64 was when things started to get bad.

Same thing with Nintendo Power. NOA started putting out a fan newsletter that morphed into NP and if I'm remembering right, NOJ didn't even sanction the whole thing till they realized it was generating more word of mouth and fan loyalty. If NOJ had it their way, the magazine wouldn't have happened.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

greatn posted:

Forbes also thought a satire article where Iwata said the problem was Nintendo fans weren't having enough children was true.

Forbes has a large number of mostly independent writers. You can generally rely on Tassi and Erik Kain, not so much the rest.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Handsome Ralph posted:

Do you have any specifics? That sounds really interesting.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Giving NOA control would be the best thing, I know there are a few things NOA wishes they could do, but because they constantly need NCL approval nothing happens.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

As unintuitive as it sounds, games like those are a sign your console is healthy. The three most successful consoles ever - PS2, DS and Wii - had those games in droves because developers saw the console as a venture they can make money. Again, the WiiU can only wish it gets the shittiest of the poo poo in the quantity the others did.

It might have been healthy but unlike the PS1/2 and even the DS the Wii did not also get a good share of AA/AAA games. So while it had a large supply of games those games did not create the customer satisfaction that you got with the other three examples.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Cliff Racer posted:

It might have been healthy but unlike the PS1/2 and even the DS the Wii did not also get a good share of AA/AAA games. So while it had a large supply of games those games did not create the customer satisfaction that you got with the other three examples.

This, essentially. A flood of shovelware is only acceptable if you're also getting all of the good ports, too. Without them, you're going to have a bad customer experience. Look at what happened with the Atari 2600 and the first video game industry crash, for instead. Nintendo's first-party titles were enough to keep things from getting that dire, of course, but it was still a problem.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Pixeltendo posted:

Giving NOA control would be the best thing, I know there are a few things NOA wishes they could do, but because they constantly need NCL approval nothing happens.

Even better if the article by the anonymous games dev is any indication approval needs to go through a tedious back and forth with translators.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

How do you think you got games when you were a kid? By bugging your parents for them. Parents still buy their kids games.

Like most kids that I grew up with, I only got games at birthdays and Christmas. I got my PS4 at launch and have bought nine games for it already (e: including trading in a bunch of older poo poo that I bought with my own money).

This isn't just some anecdotal wankery, it's common sense. People who play games and who are old enough to have jobs have more money to throw at their consoles.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

greatn posted:

Do you have any specifics? That sounds really interesting.

I can't find the original article, but remember about six or seven years ago when there was a huge leak about Goldeneye getting a remake for XB360/XBLA that got canceled?

From what I remember, Nintendo had to approve of the remake in order for it to happen. NOA, Activision (the holders of the Bond license at the time), Microsoft and Rare, all came to some kind of a preliminary agreement, where Microsoft would be able to get the Goldeneye remake on 360's arcade, Nintendo would have the option to release Goldeneye for the Virtual Console, and Activision would get paid royalties.

In the end, despite the deal being quite close to completion (level screenshots had been leaked showing development had come a long way), the deal was cancelled at the last minute. Now you'll never get a definitive answer as to why (some people say it was money, others say Nintendo never agreed to it at all), and this verges on "my uncle who works for Nintendo territory", but the reason I heard from a friend who worked at Microsoft at the time it was cancelled was that someone at NOJ came in and killed the deal after NOA agreed to it. Apparently they refused to allow a game that was one of the biggest games for the N64 be used to help sell another companies product if they had anything to say about it. Despite the fact NOA agreed it was a good deal (I believe they were getting a royalty fee on top of the VC release), NOJ refused to budge, and it fell apart.

So instead we got Perfect Dark XBLA, which Microsoft owned the rights to entirely, unlike Goldeneye which had it's rights tied up by three (four counting Rare) parties. That's just one example, and there are others (Earthbound, Fire Emblem, etc) that show NOJ has a bad habit of telling NOA what American gamers want despite evidence to the contrary.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

I can't find the original article, but remember about six or seven years ago when there was a huge leak about Goldeneye getting a remake for XB360/XBLA that got canceled?

From what I remember, Nintendo had to approve of the remake in order for it to happen. NOA, Activision (the holders of the Bond license at the time), Microsoft and Rare, all came to some kind of a preliminary agreement, where Microsoft would be able to get the Goldeneye remake on 360's arcade, Nintendo would have the option to release Goldeneye for the Virtual Console, and Activision would get paid royalties.

In the end, despite the deal being quite close to completion (level screenshots had been leaked showing development had come a long way), the deal was cancelled at the last minute. Now you'll never get a definitive answer as to why (some people say it was money, others say Nintendo never agreed to it at all), and this verges on "my uncle who works for Nintendo territory", but the reason I heard from a friend who worked at Microsoft at the time it was cancelled was that someone at NOJ came in and killed the deal after NOA agreed to it. Apparently they refused to allow a game that was one of the biggest games for the N64 be used to help sell another companies product if they had anything to say about it. Despite the fact NOA agreed it was a good deal (I believe they were getting a royalty fee on top of the VC release), NOJ refused to budge, and it fell apart.

So instead we got Perfect Dark XBLA, which Microsoft owned the rights to entirely, unlike Goldeneye which had it's rights tied up by three (four counting Rare) parties. That's just one example, and there are others (Earthbound, Fire Emblem, etc) that show NOJ has a bad habit of telling NOA what American gamers want despite evidence to the contrary.

There was a Goldeneye remake for the Wii, 360 and PS3, though? Same game, different deal?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Soul Glo posted:

This isn't just some anecdotal wankery, it's common sense. People who play games and who are old enough to have jobs have more money to throw at their consoles.

I'm aware. What I was saying is that Nintendo makes games for kids, so they need more kids to be buying their games.

It's a losing battle trying to attract audiences who are old enough to buy things themselves, as the Xbone, PS4 and PC are all platforms that serve those audiences better. Nintendo should focus on kids because kids can't buy everything themselves, only what their parents will buy them, and hey, cheapest console on the market that focuses on making games for kids, why that does sound like the WiiU to me.

Ultimately it boils down to games, and the WiiU isn't getting any. Which sucks.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

Like most kids that I grew up with, I only got games at birthdays and Christmas. I got my PS4 at launch and have bought nine games for it already (e: including trading in a bunch of older poo poo that I bought with my own money).

Hasbro should market more toward their adult fan base because they have more disposable income.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nope. That one came out after the deal fell through and Activision decided to make something similar to try reign in money from the nostalgia that surrounded the original game.

Aside from sharing a name and a similar plot structure, that game was made from the ground up by Activision devs, whereas the XBLA remake was the original game but with updated graphics and such (similar to what they did with Perfect Dark XBLA).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm aware. What I was saying is that Nintendo makes games for kids, so they need more kids to be buying their games.

It's a losing battle trying to attract audiences who are old enough to buy things themselves, as the Xbone, PS4 and PC are all platforms that serve those audiences better. Nintendo should focus on kids because kids can't buy everything themselves, only what their parents will buy them, and hey, cheapest console on the market that focuses on making games for kids, why that does sound like the WiiU to me.

:shrug: I disagree. You can make games for kids and for other demographics, they aren't mutually exclusive. Also, I think it's pretty defeatist if Nintendo actually believes "Well, we can't beat those other guys selling games to the older hardcore crowd, so we might as well not try." The older people grew up on that company, Nintendo should totally still be going after them. Make some more Metroid Prime games, reboot Eternal Darkness, pay Kojima to bring out Metal Gear Solid 5, whatever. Just because Ford makes a decent pickup truck doesn't stop Dodge, Toyota and Chevrolet from doing the same thing. :iiaca:, you see.

quote:

Ultimately it boils down to games, and the WiiU isn't getting any. Which sucks.

This I agree with, though. I sold off my Wii U when there was nothing to play on it and nothing but X in the pipeline that I wanted, but I would have liked for that console to have had more games I could play on it. Probably would still have it if it did.

Level Slide posted:

Hasbro should market more toward their adult fan base because they have more disposable income.

What do you think all those lovely Michael Bay movies are for? :v:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
That's a completely new game though, it's not Goldeneye 64.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Soul Glo posted:

:shrug: I disagree. You can make games for kids and for other demographics, they aren't mutually exclusive. Also, I think it's pretty defeatist if Nintendo actually believes "Well, we can't beat those other guys selling games to the older hardcore crowd, so we might as well not try." The older people grew up on that company, Nintendo should totally still be going after them. Make some more Metroid Prime games, reboot Eternal Darkness, pay Kojima to bring out Metal Gear Solid 5, whatever. Just because Ford makes a decent pickup truck doesn't stop Dodge, Toyota and Chevrolet from doing the same thing. :iiaca:, you see.

Yeah, I can't think of a good reason not to target other demographics. By advertising on networks adults watch, you can get parents' eyes on your product and simultaneously hit people who might have some nostalgia for Nintendo products. Targeting children exclusively seems like a large misstep.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Level Slide posted:

Off topic a bit but they do this with higher end figures and charge more for them. So, make a really really really really good game and charge $100 for it!

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, kids can not buy things themselves but they are a prime market for sales because they can get their parents to buy them things and are more likely to care more about the shiny thing they want than "maybe I should consider if I really want this thing?"

Action Figure Man: The how to buy Action Figure Man episode.

*sob* Please Mommy I want it.
---

Reading the Iwata articles and Nintendo's fumbling's reminds me that My dad works as a General Manager for a Toshiba distribution warehouse in Slovakia and he was telling me the Japanese managers and directors (especially the older ones) have this odd sense of constant politeness to them where they can never seem to say no to anything. They always reply with "We will look in to it." or "We will get back to you on that". As if any negative inclination to the business is a taboo subject and everyone has to bury their heads in the sand at the sound of saying the truth that something may go wrong or not be successful.

I'm hoping not all Japanese businesses have this bizarre attitude towards problems but it could explain how cultures effect businesses.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Soul Glo posted:

This I agree with, though. I sold off my Wii U when there was nothing to play on it and nothing but X in the pipeline that I wanted, but I would have liked for that console to have had more games I could play on it. Probably would still have it if it did.

See, that's kinda what I'm talking about. There are plenty enough games for kids on the system right now, particularly since kids only get games sporadically rather than on their next paycheck, but for adults there's not much to gun for. Assassin's Creed 4 and Call of Duty Ghosts and...?

They really need to push the idea that system, as it is right now, with the releases it has right now, and most of what's coming down the pipeline, are aimed at kids, they need to market to kids and parents alike that this is the system to own if you're under 13.

Actually, Nintendo needs to market, period. This isn't like the 3DS where somebody could shout "POKEMON!" and have systems selling by the truckload, they actually need to put effort into reaching out and nabbing those kids ears and telling them how awesome the newest Mario is, or explaining to parents that they could watch TV without having to stop their kid from finishing just one more level. Commercials running nonstop on Nickelodeon, sponsor kids hockey, have some Mario toys in McDonalds Kids Meals, anything to get the word out that there is a new video game machine and it's non-violent, colourful and safe for kids.

Parents don't want to drop $500 on an Xbone so their kid can swear at people playing Call of Duty, but they might spend $300 on a WiiU that lets them play Mario together in the same room.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 19, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Flayer posted:

That's a completely new game though, it's not Goldeneye 64.

Oh, are you talking about the HD port, which was going to be the N64 game and was canceled?

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 19, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Nope. That one came out after the deal fell through and Activision decided to make something similar to try reign in money from the nostalgia that surrounded the original game.

Aside from sharing a name and a similar plot structure, that game was made from the ground up by Activision devs, whereas the XBLA remake was the original game but with updated graphics and such (similar to what they did with Perfect Dark XBLA).

Right. The whole thing was a clusterfuck -- Nintendo owns the publishing rights to the original GoldenEye 007, but Rare (and, by extension, Microsoft) owns the game code and design, and Activision owns the actual Bond license, so all three parties had to come together on an agreement. Microsoft was going to allow the release of GoldenEye on the Wii Virtual Console and give Nintendo a royalty for every XBLA sale (as mentioned above), and a dumptruck full of money had gotten Activision on board, but at some point the Microsoft / Nintendo agreement fell apart. So then Activision put a GoldenEye skin on Call of Duty and released it on the Wii (which still wasn't nearly as shameless as EA's GoldenEye: Rogue Agent).

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 19, 2014

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
The weird thing about the marketing failures is that the "Wii would like to play" ads were probably some of the best advertising they've ever done and at least pretty memorable for the era (the only other big thing that comes to mind is the Mac vs. PC ads). Did they change marketing staff entirely between 2006 and 2011?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Handsome Ralph posted:

How does putting Goldeneye on XBox Arcade do anything for Nintendo? That actually makes complete sense to me. I don't like it, but I understand the decision

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Astro7x posted:

How does putting Goldeneye on XBox Arcade do anything for Nintendo? That actually makes complete sense to me. I don't like it, but I understand the decision

Because Nintendo would get money from every XBLA sale, and the same deal would allow Nintendo to put Goldeneye on Wii Virtual Console, something they can't do without an agreement with Microsoft.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Astro7x posted:

Well at that point, Nintendo couldn't put Goldeneye on the VC either, so it was a lose-lose scenario if none of the rights holders could come to an agreement. So if the deal went through, Nintendo and Microsoft would have both gotten what they wanted (Goldeneye get's released on VC which many people had been asking for up until that point, and MS get's to release Goldeneye HD on XBLA).

NOA was all for it, but NOJ couldn't comprehend the idea and squashed it without room for argument. Literally everyone was gaining something they wanted from this deal, and because NOJ is super conservative and traditional about that kinda poo poo, the deal fell through.

EFB.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Advertising TVii is not a great idea but Nintendo avoiding advertising on network primetime and during live sports events has been a continuously stupid decision on their part. Even if their philosophy is "only advertise to children" there's no reason they couldn't advertise during all-ages network programming like American Idol that gets seen in millions and millions of homes every week.

Who the gently caress would advertise to children? They have no loving money. It's the parents.

I dunno, when my parents bought me games(my dad) it was because they saw the ads and thought they were cool.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

Who the gently caress would advertise to children? They have no loving money. It's the parents.

I dunno, when my parents bought me games(my dad) it was because they saw the ads and thought they were cool.

Really? Have you ever taken a marketing class? All you do is market to children, especially for video games. Same goes with soda, junk food and anything else whose marketing demographic will be consuming it. Are you trolling for fun at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMDPql6rweo

Advertising to children works. It's just when you have a product that is supposed to have wide appeal and you only advertise towards one demographic (children), you find that you're not getting the sales you desire.

• Locked thread