Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

DrVenkman posted:

I think it's less that the pilot was bad and more just that the production was hosed. There were major behind the scenes issues so I just think that Showtime cut their losses. They'd have to find a new showrunner for a start and it's easy to see why they'd rather just not bother. I get the feeling the pilot was finished out of contractual obligation but it was probably never going to get picked up.

Showtime itself had this to say about it at the TCAs:

quote:

"That show was conceived and written when Pope Benedict was still in charge of the Vatican." Afraid that the show would feel dated was part of the reason the pay cabler decided not to order it to series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Joramun posted:

Showtime itself had this to say about it at the TCAs:

That's hilarious. "We conceived this show while that last rear end in a top hat Pope was in charge. We didn't expect people would actually like this Pope. So now it just seems mean."

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Common Sense Media says this show Adventure Time is appropriate for kids, but I'm watching the first few episodes with my 6 year old and there's some questionable material... (Truth or dare, cupcake nudity and "sexy hot" lava). Does the content ever get any worse?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Common Sense Media says this show Adventure Time is appropriate for kids, but I'm watching the first few episodes with my 6 year old and there's some questionable material... (Truth or dare, cupcake nudity and "sexy hot" lava). Does the content ever get any worse?

Yeah. There's a lot of adult themes and references in Adventure Time, but a six year old shouldn't be able to pick up on them or interpret them the same way you do.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Adventure Time is totally fine for kids.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Bown posted:

Adventure Time is totally fine for kids.

I'm inclined to agree so far. I asked in the Adventure Time thread as well (I didn't realize there was one). Just trying to be fully informed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Go back and watch some episodes of Animaniacs from the '90s, then your head will really explode.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

raditts posted:

Go back and watch some episodes of Animaniacs from the '90s, then your head will really explode.

Hellooooooooo Nurse!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

raditts posted:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

She loves Animaniacs. I think its settled. She loves the classics, Doug, Animaniacs, Duck Tales, Chip N Dale, etc. Adventure time is one of the few modern shows she's showed interest in (along with Sofia the First).

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I have to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgbcQIT7BMc

(it's the episode of Rainbow that supposedly got banned)

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Wasn't that just something the cast made for a laugh and showed it at a holiday party? Or am I thinking of something else

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Maturity is different for each kid but Adventure Time is really more of an 8-12 year old show. It doesn't get any worse, per se, but if your kid isn't at the point where they have learned to not imitate what they hear on TV then you're going to have to deal with explaining terms like "sexy hot" and "lady pecs" when one of their teachers or playmates' parents inevitably gets offended. Plus it's a show where violence and lying solve almost every problem and there's frightening subject matter like The Lich or humans being extinct because they were all eaten by one of the main character's best friends, it's not just a stray pop culture reference or gag that goes over the kids' heads like in Animaniacs.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Christ, you're making me want to watch this now.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Cactus posted:

Christ, you're making me want to watch this now.

It's a post-apocalyptic children's show. It's highly addictive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It can get kind of maudlin though, like the episode about Simon and Marceline's past that was just one long metaphor for Alzheimer's.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

muscles like this? posted:

It can get kind of maudlin though, like the episode about Simon and Marceline's past that was just one long metaphor for Alzheimer's.

drat if that episode doesn't make me teary every single time. Simon and Marcy is a little less disheartening.

Adventure Time is amazing. I highly recommend it. (But there are some freaky parts, like the kissing clown nurses and the Lich).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Tupping Liberty posted:

drat if that episode doesn't make me teary every single time. Simon and Marcy is a little less disheartening.

It was the episode that precluded that, "I Remember You," that broke me. It doesn't work as well on its own, it trades a lot on the established biographies of Marceline and Ice King, but it's a heartbreaker either way.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
On the other hand, she's a rock and roll vampire and he's a pervy jack frost. Its a sweet little cartoon, but its no Toy Story 3.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for the input everyone. I've decided to let her watch it, though I'll be monitoring it when I can. As far as I can tell, none of the innuendo is any worse than anything in Animaniacs and the violence is just a few ticks beyond Chuck Jones territory.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Wasn't that just something the cast made for a laugh and showed it at a holiday party? Or am I thinking of something else

Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tape

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm going to start watching Always Sunny tonight for the first time; what's the general consensus on when I should know if its for me or not?

I tried the first season of The League and ended up disliking it enough to not return and I've heard their kind of similar. I'm hoping Always Sunny is less mean even if it's jokes are still dark/edgy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Sunny is more mean, but in a 'These people are god drat psychopaths' way rather than just a 'These people are kind of assholes' way. For the record I loving love Sunny but couldn't get past season 1 of The League either. As for when to stop watching, definitely at least make sure to watch a few episodes after Danny DeVito's character shows up since he becomes one of the main cast members and changes the group dynamic a bit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love The League and Sunny sucks.

I've never seen Sunny.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

VDay posted:

Sunny is more mean, but in a 'These people are god drat psychopaths' way rather than just a 'These people are kind of assholes' way. For the record I loving love Sunny but couldn't get past season 1 of The League either. As for when to stop watching, definitely at least make sure to watch a few episodes after Danny DeVito's character shows up since he becomes one of the main cast members and changes the group dynamic a bit.

Without watching it I wouldn't know if I could really agree but that difference in characterisation sounds right up my alley.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

VDay posted:

I agree and think you should stop a few episodes into season 2 when Devito's character becomes a part of the group.

And yes, Sunny is way more mean. I'm a fan of both.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 18, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
With the exception of Dennis, most of Sunny characters aren't trying to be jerks, they just don't know any better. Sometimes Charlie is really trying to be a nice guy, he just has no idea what the proper way to do that is.

But yeah, you'll really know if you're liking the show as you watch Season 2. Season 1 is really short, and if you like it, you'll probably love the show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CaptainHollywood posted:

I agree think you should stop a few episodes into season 2 when Devito's character becomes a part of the group.

Hundred Dollar Baby is a good stopping point if you're not feeling things. However, I'd recommend dipping your toe into a latter season. There are some slight tonal changes in seasons 3&4 that make the show a lot more accessible.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Irish Joe posted:

Hundred Dollar Baby is a good stopping point if you're not feeling things. However, I'd recommend dipping your toe into a latter season. There are some slight tonal changes in seasons 3&4 that make the show a lot more accessible.

This too because seasons 1 and 2 are arguably the worst seasons in the series.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
At the very least, watch CharDee MacDennis, The Game Of Kings and The D.E.N.N.I.S. System

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rewatching the first season of Hannibal and its amazing the show turned out good since it would have been so easy to be terrible.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Thanks for the input everyone. I've decided to let her watch it, though I'll be monitoring it when I can. As far as I can tell, none of the innuendo is any worse than anything in Animaniacs and the violence is just a few ticks beyond Chuck Jones territory.

It's not really even be beyond that, and Finn is usually just as oblivious to the innuendo as your kid will be. AT can get a little dark, but it's easy to gloss over that in most episodes. It just one of those shows that works on many levels.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ok, two seasons down and four more to go on Outrageous Fortune, and it's still great. Very laugh-out-loud funny, has that "one more episode... sleep be damned" quality.

Anyone that likes Shameless I can guarantee will like Outrageous Fortune. They both successfully walk the thin line between comedy and drama, not too much of one or not enough of the other, although Outrageous Fortune leans just a little more towards the comedy side of things than Shameless does, at least so far. It's a close call though. Plus with it being from New Zealand it has a really unique flavour, and I now am aware of the verb "to root".

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Cactus posted:

Ok, two seasons down and four more to go on Outrageous Fortune, and it's still great. Very laugh-out-loud funny, has that "one more episode... sleep be damned" quality.

Anyone that likes Shameless I can guarantee will like Outrageous Fortune. They both successfully walk the thin line between comedy and drama, not too much of one or not enough of the other, although Outrageous Fortune leans just a little more towards the comedy side of things than Shameless does, at least so far. It's a close call though. Plus with it being from New Zealand it has a really unique flavour, and I now am aware of the verb "to root".

I watched through this show a while back. I don't like it as much as US Shameless, but it does definitely share a lot of the same qualities. For Banshee fans: Anthony Starr is one of the show's main cast members. Check it out if you want to see him playing considerably different roles from Sheriff Hood (he plays twin brothers on this show).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CaptainHollywood posted:

This too because seasons 1 and 2 are arguably the worst seasons in the series.
Season 1, maaaaaybe since it's so short and doesn't have DeVito. The Underaged Drinking and Dead Guy episodes are amazing though. But season 2? There's maybe one episode in the bunch that isn't a classic (the last episode, and it's still a good one).

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Season 1, maaaaaybe since it's so short and doesn't have DeVito. The Underaged Drinking and Dead Guy episodes are amazing though. But season 2? There's maybe one episode in the bunch that isn't a classic (the last episode, and it's still a good one).

Your mother's dead...nah, she's not, but we're getting a divorce.

Anyway, somewhere around season 5ish, it starts going off the rails completely. Where most craziness was pretty self-contained early on, it went full balls-to-the-wall crazy in the later seasons.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Postal Parcel posted:

Anyway, somewhere around season 5ish, it starts going off the rails completely. Where most craziness was pretty self-contained early on, it went full balls-to-the-wall crazy in the later seasons.

This past season's finale was just gruesome.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Black Sails loving sucks.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Counter-point: Black Sails doesn't loving suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wow this entire Black Sails thing has really turned into a heated debate. I look forward to how you will resolve this issue.

Always Sunny talk: You'll love it. As previously said the first season is a bit slow and where some people think it's ridiculous now I think that only has improved the show. Unlike The League it stays pretty consistently funny after season 1 and beyond.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 19, 2014

• Locked thread