Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Draile posted:

I think my game is bugged. All the werewolves are hostile and each hit insta-kills a character. I can't even make it past the second room in the tent.

The werewolves are supposed to be hostile - they're not supposed to be able to do any damage to you if you don't attack them first, though.

What's your strenght score? The shadows drain strenght with their attack, they could theoretically kill you with it if they get you down to 0 STR.

verybad fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

verybad posted:

The werewolves are supposed to be hostile - they're not supposed to be able to do any damage to you if you don't attack them first, though.

What's your strenght score? The shadows drain strenght with their attack, they could theoretically kill you with it if they get you down to 0 STR.

Turns out this is a known and widespread bug on the iPad version. Werewolves insta-kill instead of being harmless until attacked.

This is insane. How did Beamdog miss a game-breaking bug--you can't leave the tent until the quest is over--that happens across an entire platform on the very first quest in the game?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
They're a poo poo company, that's how. Here's another ridiculous unfixed bug: you can't Slayer Change more than once.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

John McCain posted:

They're a poo poo company, that's how. Here's another ridiculous unfixed bug: you can't Slayer Change more than once.

I have only ever used slayer change to drop my reputation deliberately as an evil party.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Wingless posted:

I have only ever used slayer change to drop my reputation deliberately as an evil party.

Protection from level drain, imprisonment, and stun (among other things) is hugely useful. 4 base APR with 25 strength and a base weapon that does 1d8 crushing + 2 cold and hits as a +5 weapon for enchantment purposes means that you don't sacrifice huge amounts of damage in melee either.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Draile posted:

Turns out this is a known and widespread bug on the iPad version. Werewolves insta-kill instead of being harmless until attacked.

I had to start over because of this bug, and got around it the second time by rushing to Keldorn. His true sight dispels the werewolves.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Was getting a bit tired of all the samey wilderness is BG1 and gave Icewind Dale a shot. So far I'm having a lot of fun; building the party from the ground up is surprisingly addictive, and I even found myself editing the pre-gen biographies to setup a little story about how the whole group are buddies via circumstance :3:

First of all, it's loving gorgeous. Every little hamlet and shop I entered was so richly crafted compared to every other IE game I've played it's gonna be hard to go back. Graphically it's the Skyrim to BG1's Oblivion, especially when you consider the picturesque snowy tundras vs. generic grassy plains/forest.

I was also surprised at the dialogue as I remember most people saying it's pretty dry, but so far the little conversations you can have are far more robust than that of BG1. It's not quite PST or anything, but it's nice to have multiple responses that aren't just good/evil/wacky, and several people have even acknowledged that I'm a bard, which is a nice touch. I also thought it was cute that, if you keep talking to the townpeople about rumors, they'll keep piling on problems; the first guy mentions goblins and orcs, the second throws in wolves, the third adds on giants, etc etc.

And just to verify I didn't gently caress myself, here's my current party makeup:

Neutral good human bard with maxed INT and CHA, to identify things and act as party spokesperson respectively. One dot in crossbows (because gently caress it, who else will ever use crossbows?) and one dot in long swords, though I plan on keeping her out of melee range.

Lawful good human paladin, two dots in bows and large swords. I figure, why go straight fighter when I can have a meatshield that also heals and occasionally smites evil?

Chaotic good halfling fighter/thief, because BG1 has led me to believe straight thieves are made of paper and at least this guy can tank a little. Two dots in bows, two dots in small swords.

Chaotic neutral human cleric, dumped CHA and INT and maxed everything else, a dot in warhammers and missile weapons.

True neutral human druid with a dot in large swords (scimitars) and missile weapons. Not sure what to do with her yet but every time someone mentions IWD they say druids are OP so what the hell.

Neutral evil drow (elf really, but they have a drow portrait so I went with it) fighter/mage, dumped CHA and WIS and maxed everything else. Two points in bows and two in quarterstaffs, because you start with so many I figure someone should use them.

Everyone has maxed DEX and 16/18 CON depending on whether or not they're fighters. Are any of these huge mistakes or am I pretty much good to go? I considered a ranger but I figured the paladin, F/T and F/M are enough. I've only tried combat a little bit and got two-shot by like eight orcs coming at me at once in a cave, but I'm not sure if that's a byproduct of Level 1 D&D or me actually making bad decisions.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Wolfsheim posted:

[...]True neutral human druid with a dot in large swords (scimitars) and missile weapons. Not sure what to do with her yet but every time someone mentions IWD they say druids are OP so what the hell.

[...]

I've only tried combat a little bit and got two-shot by like eight orcs coming at me at once in a cave, but I'm not sure if that's a byproduct of Level 1 D&D or me actually making bad decisions.
This is potentially related although the mage will have some tricks too. IWD's encounter design is often centered on hordes of things so crowd control can be invaluable. At spell level 1 druids have entangle which can help manage the horde so you are only taking on a few at a time.

Mages have Sleep which can also help out with these early encounters.

If you don't have the encounters memorized scouting ahead with that fighter/thief will also be really useful to judge exactly what you're about to pull and decide whether you need those crowd control spells or can save them for another fight, since the opportune time and place for the AOE ones like entangle are at the edge of the fog of war right after or even during the pull.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I totally nerded out in IWD and recreated the party from the old Neves vs Eric Sunsword books I had as a kid. I was probably inspired by the default picture for the big bald guy looking just like Jorgo. Neves, Jorgo, the half-elf mage guy and the thief wandering the frozen north. Too bad I couldn't put in a kobold.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Has there been word on when or even if we'll be getting a BG2EE patch that addresses all the stupid bugs and potentially adds content?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

tirinal posted:

Has there been word on when or even if we'll be getting a BG2EE patch that addresses all the stupid bugs and potentially adds content?

Probably a long-rear end time. They seem to have only one team, and that team is now working on the Android port. It'll probably be months before BG2:EE gets another patch.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Draile posted:

This is insane. How did Beamdog miss a game-breaking bug--you can't leave the tent until the quest is over--that happens across an entire platform on the very first quest in the game?

You should have tried the PC version. The very first quest in the game was broken for most of the 2013. Also the quest in question actually got broken by a patch in the first place.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Zilkin posted:

You should have tried the PC version. The very first quest in the game was broken for most of the 2013. Also the quest in question actually got broken by a patch in the first place.

Wait what. I played through it and saw many a broken thing, what quest broke and when was the patch to break it?

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

kingcom posted:

Wait what. I played through it and saw many a broken thing, what quest broke and when was the patch to break it?

Inside the inn, right next to where you start, you find Firebead who wants a scroll of identify from the guy that runs around the courtyard. You couldn't get the scroll from him when you talked to the guy (pickpocket didn't work either) and the quest couldn't be completed. Not really a game breaker for something like 50 xp but it was an ill omen for things to come...

Rolling Scissors fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 20, 2014

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Rolling Scissors posted:

Inside the inn, right next to where you start, you find Firebead who wants a scroll of identify from the guy that runs around the courtyard. You couldn't get the scroll from (no, pickpocket didn't work) and the quest couldn't be completed. Not really a game breaker for something like 50 xp.
I had used a ferret familiar to pickpocket the scroll from Tethtoril, so at the very least he could be pickpocketed by a familiar.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That was kind of an amusing glitch. In the Underdark I happened to kill an Air Elemental by its portal. Then I freed that mage who starts the portal quest. We got the Air Elemental one, at which another Elemental had already popped out. So I killed it, and...another one spawned. Killed it. Another. Killed it. Another.

Finally I got the bright idea to speak to the mage, which got him to go off and start his thing with the portal. Meanwhile the Elementals were still coming. Mage eventually came back. I demanded all his stuff, he went hostile. So I ran away and let him fight the still infinite supply of Elementals until he died, then rushed in to grab his goodies. Tee hee.

He's really kind of a mean bugger to pick on in a straight fight, with a lot of Time Stops and Gates.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Was it really infinite elementals? I think I read something years back about those 3 portals spawning one elemental for every time you've saved your game or rested, something like that IIRC. Not sure if that's the case, but I've definitely fought 30+ at each portal before. If it was infinite, then yeah, you've got a glitch.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah it's not supposed to be infinite

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm also pretty sure they weren't supposed to keep coming even after he sealed the portal off, but there it was.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

On an unrelated note, I've never really bothered to mess around with Gate all that much, but it does a nice job on some annoying bits. The Mind Flayers in the Underdark pretty much drop dead if there's a Pit Fiend in the room.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is it expected to rest and quicksave after almost every encounter in BG 1 or am I just playing it wrong?

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
You can never quicksave too much. But resting every battle is excessive. Are you packing heal spells? Using crowd control and bottlenecks to limit incoming damage? Only pulling small bits of large groups?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Koskinator posted:

You can never quicksave too much. But resting every battle is excessive. Are you packing heal spells? Using crowd control and bottlenecks to limit incoming damage? Only pulling small bits of large groups?

Yes but I'm still in the early levels and I don't have that many spell slots available yet so when I encounter something that needs crowd control spells, I'm all out until I rest. I'm just curious if early level AD&D is meant to be this tedious.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Huh, a Death Spell tossed into the room instantly kills the Mother Brain at the end of the Mind Flayer stuff. Who knew?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DeathChicken posted:

Huh, a Death Spell tossed into the room instantly kills the Mother Brain at the end of the Mind Flayer stuff. Who knew?

Handy.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yes but I'm still in the early levels and I don't have that many spell slots available yet so when I encounter something that needs crowd control spells, I'm all out until I rest. I'm just curious if early level AD&D is meant to be this tedious.
The best strategy I've found for BG1 is to have an archer-heavy party. For example in my last playthrough I included Kivan, Ajantis, Minsc and Coran and had them all specialize in longbows. Especially early on, most enemies would die before they could close into the party, greatly reducing the need for crowd control spells (though Web spells were extremely effective) and the need to heal the party since enemies rarely got a chance to damage my party. As a result I rarely rested.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I have to admit, playing Icewind Dale after mucking about with BG1, it was pretty overwhelming the way I'd enter a room and be bum-rushed by a dozen enemies, but throwing out a web (or a tangle or whatever) and then just peppering everything with projectiles is a little too good compared to every other strategy.

Currently fighting through some kind of lizardfolk cave, dying quite a bit (mostly by blindly rushing ahead) and having a blast. About midway through the undead tomb in the Vale of Shadows I realized there was no reason for my bard to wear armor, since she stands at the back anyway, and basically realized I'd been denying myself a second arcane caster.

And speaking of bards, is there any reason to pickpocket? So far like one in ten people has an item at all, let alone anything worthwhile.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There's no need to rest that often, no. Use more longbows. Your mage should be ineffectually tossing rocks at dudes 90% of the time, waiting for the bad guys with names to use his spells on.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I have to admit, playing Icewind Dale after mucking about with BG1, it was pretty overwhelming the way I'd enter a room and be bum-rushed by a dozen enemies, but throwing out a web (or a tangle or whatever) and then just peppering everything with projectiles is a little too good compared to every other strategy.

Currently fighting through some kind of lizardfolk cave, dying quite a bit (mostly by blindly rushing ahead) and having a blast. About midway through the undead tomb in the Vale of Shadows I realized there was no reason for my bard to wear armor, since she stands at the back anyway, and basically realized I'd been denying myself a second arcane caster.

And speaking of bards, is there any reason to pickpocket? So far like one in ten people has an item at all, let alone anything worthwhile.

Apparently bards are amazing for their songs.

and yeah, IWD throws hordes at you, that's why you want poo poo like sleep. That spell is a real clincher.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There's no need to rest that often, no. Use more longbows. Your mage should be ineffectually tossing rocks at dudes 90% of the time, waiting for the bad guys with names to use his spells on.
A level 1 Mage with an 18 dex has almost as good a chance of hitting someone as a level 1 fighter (both have a THAC0 of 20). Mages quickly fall behind, but at early levels they aren't bad ranged combatants compared to other classes.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

So I just sucker-punched Saverok right in the temple, but it just gave me a lame cinematic and booted me to the menu. Do I get any closure? Maybe a cuddle?

Anyhow, should I backtrack and do Whoever's Beard before moving onto BG2?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Verr posted:

So I just sucker-punched Saverok right in the temple, but it just gave me a lame cinematic and booted me to the menu. Do I get any closure? Maybe a cuddle?

Anyhow, should I backtrack and do Whoever's Beard before moving onto BG2?
Your closure comes in another one and a half games.

Ulgoth's Beard has 2 side areas you can get to from it, but the main content from the BG1 expansion is Durlag's Tower which you should definitely check out.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Factor_VIII posted:

A level 1 Mage with an 18 dex has almost as good a chance of hitting someone as a level 1 fighter (both have a THAC0 of 20). Mages quickly fall behind, but at early levels they aren't bad ranged combatants compared to other classes.

Warriors will get -2 thac0, +4 damage and an extra attack per round thanks to their superior weapon options and proficiency.

edit:VVV You're ignoring the fact that warriors will be using composite longbows.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 20, 2014

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Warriors will get -2 thac0, +4 damage and an extra attack per round thanks to their superior weapon options and proficiency.
At level 1 the best they can have is Specialization, which will give them a -1 to hit, +2 to damage and and extra half attack. That's better than what a mage can have, but not by much.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Wolfsheim posted:

The mage in the tower has some choice stuff. As does pretty much any npc in HoW. As far as I remember most important npcs have some good loot. I know there's a ring of free action in kuldahar, I forget where. For the most part any pick pocket over 100 has a good chance of snagging them.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
In the original games weapon mastery was greatly weakened from BG to BG2. Which system do the enhanced editions use?

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Draile posted:

In the original games weapon mastery was greatly weakened from BG to BG2. Which system do the enhanced editions use?

BG2EE used to be like vanilla BG2 but it was fixed in version 1.2.2030:

quote:

#7076: Weapon Mastery (as well as High Mastery and Grand Mastery) now grants the correct (as advertised) bonuses to THAC0, Damage, and APR.

Full patch notes: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24852/bgii-ee-1-2-2030-11-20-2013

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I can't make up my mind between continuing with my BG1 Cavalier in BG2 or if I want to try something new.

My big hangup is that I think I ought to play a ranged class if I'm not playing my Paladin. However, The Internet says Archers aren't as good as they look on paper, and while I'd like to play a necromancer in theory, there doesn't seem to be a good reason to play one in BG2EE from either a story or mechanics perspective (except for Hexxat whose storyline I accidentally spoiled for myself while idly clicking around the Forgotten Realms wiki last night :argh:)

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

bathroom sounds posted:

I can't make up my mind between continuing with my BG1 Cavalier in BG2 or if I want to try something new.

My big hangup is that I think I ought to play a ranged class if I'm not playing my Paladin. However, The Internet says Archers aren't as good as they look on paper, and while I'd like to play a necromancer in theory, there doesn't seem to be a good reason to play one in BG2EE from either a story or mechanics perspective (except for Hexxat whose storyline I accidentally spoiled for myself while idly clicking around the Forgotten Realms wiki last night :argh:)

Internet lied, Archers are great. Necromancers are also fine, and while it's true there isn't much mechanical benefits to the class, at least you get 16 WIS for free in character creation so you have an easier time rolling a caster able to (ab)use Wish spells without having to invest in potions of insight. Hell, for funsies, you could try and make the best use out of your class specialty spells instead of just picking the generic "best" spells.

On another subject, I have a question about IWD bard songs: is there any point to using the first one you get (+1 hit/dmg, I think?) after you get the one that gives +1 to luck among other things? I was under the assumption that the luck stat gets added to basically every roll, including hit and damage rolls so uh, what the hey?

verybad fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

bathroom sounds posted:

The Archer is more than good enough to play through. Did you know that HLA apply to ranged attacks, too? There's nothing quite like turning on Smite and watching as he flips an entire army of enemies around the room like it's the Smith's fight in The Matrix.

It was years ago when I played an archer but it seemed a perfectly fine class choice to me.

Anyway nothing is more fun than Sorcerer in BG2. I just love playing as a Sorcerer.