Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Have you guys ever seen Ronan Wills' giant, chapter by chapter takedown of both Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear?

I'm absolutely no fan of Rothfuss, in terms of plot, characters or prose style, but this guy makes me look like the biggest fanboy imaginable.

http://ronanwills.wordpress.com/category/lets-read-tnotw/

http://ronanwills.wordpress.com/category/lets-read-twmf/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's a lot of words! It looks promising though - I found a cat :3:

In all seriousness having just done something like that for a movie on these very forums, I'm excited to see the depths of someone's hatred exposed via a point by point commentary. Whether you agree or not, it's like a journey through someone's psyche.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Have you guys ever seen Ronan Wills' giant, chapter by chapter takedown of both Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear?

I'm absolutely no fan of Rothfuss, in terms of plot, characters or prose style, but this guy makes me look like the biggest fanboy imaginable.

http://ronanwills.wordpress.com/category/lets-read-tnotw/

http://ronanwills.wordpress.com/category/lets-read-twmf/

Aahahah, the guy pretty much hit most of what i thought when i read the first book (i didn't get so insane that i read the 2nd).

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StoicRomance posted:

Probably when he goes back to get its flower that cures anything to cure whatever happened to Denna. I always imagined that as the what would happen after the story. He picks himself up and heads off to unfuck his biggest fuckup.

That's what Lanre did, right? After his wife died he went looking for the panacea flower, the C'tah fucks with him, he goes crazy, burns 6 cities to the ground and becomes Haliax.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

That's what Lanre did, right? After his wife died he went looking for the panacea flower, the C'tah fucks with him, he goes crazy, burns 6 cities to the ground and becomes Haliax.

That's my understanding. I also think Bast is too old and wise to be as nebbish as he acts. I think he will manipulate Kvothe to destroy that dickhead tree once and for all.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Streebs posted:

Looks like there will might be a TV show based on the Kingkiller Chronicles: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/07/patrick-rothfuss-name-of-the-wind-television-show

I like the books but I am not really excited to see a TV show based on them.

I realize this is mildly necromantic, but I am just catching up with the thread after months and months away and....

Boy that immature Denna and Falurian bullshit is going to work real well on the screen where you can't flip to the next page.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Habibi posted:

I realize this is mildly necromantic, but I am just catching up with the thread after months and months away and....

Boy that immature Denna and Falurian bullshit is going to work real well on the screen where you can't flip to the next page.

It's overwritten like nothing I have ever seen, but I think subsequent volumes will prove it to be the most important stuff he's written. In a few chapters we see:

- A demonstration of Alar so strong it can keep Kvothe sane against the wiles of a minor god

- His willingness to lie to said minor god about coming back someday, and the consequences that will likely come of that.

- The Taborlin level naming ability of Kvothes sleeping mind

- The lies of That lovely Tree that will likely have him alienate Denna for good

- How Kvothe got on the wrong side of some hard hitting Fae hit squad

- How the moon might factor into all this

And so on. Say what you will about the Mary Sue sex stuff, the chapters are extremely economical in terms of foreshadows per page. The place was a Fae sex den. If the floor was lava he'd probably have to spend a lot of time talking about lava.

I just wasn't so chuffed over those chapters. I was too busy tucking into the sumptuous lore feast.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

StoicRomance posted:

- The lies of That lovely Tree that will likely have him alienate Denna for good

I agree with everything you said,with one slight correction. The Cthaeh does not lie; it speaks the truth in the most harmful way possible.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

StoicRomance posted:

- His willingness to lie to said minor god about coming back someday, and the consequences that will likely come of that.

I'm not certain this is a lie—not only does he never internally contradict it, I'm pretty sure he worries at some point about having to go back, and writes it off as being far in the future.

StoicRomance posted:

Tree don't lie.

Sharma
Nov 4, 2012

I just started reading "The Name of the Wind". I love the way he writes about the silence of the town in the first couple pages, and goes into detail describing the various "layers" of silence. I'm hooked right away, this guy has a beautiful style of writing.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Sharma posted:

I just started reading "The Name of the Wind". I love the way he writes about the silence of the town in the first couple pages, and goes into detail describing the various "layers" of silence. I'm hooked right away, this guy has a beautiful style of writing.
Yeah, his style is excellent.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm halfway through the second book, and it seems that most of my criticisms have already been addressed in this thread. When he Gets out of the university and goes to assist the Maer, it was a super big breath of fresh air, because up until then, the plot of the entire series was:

1) Oh no, the new term is about to start and I don't have any money! And my tuition is going to be higher than ever!
2) That Ambrose sure is a jerk!
3) WHERE'S MY LUTE?!
4) Phew! I suddenly came into good fortune which is just enough to pay my tuition!
5) That Ambrose sure is a jerk!
6) MY LUTE'S GONE AGAIN!

And repeat.

OK, I finally finished the book, and I'm glad to see that it broke away from this formula (except for the "Fawn over Denna" part).

I agree with everyone that this is a "pretty good" story done by a fantastic writer. I've still been very entertained by it. Is there any rumor/thought as to when the third book will be done? Years from now, presumably?

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

He writes slow, he does a ton of international touring, he runs a charity, he is helping write a video game, and he just announced that his wife is pregnant with his second kid.

I'm settling in. :colbert:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

StoicRomance posted:

It's overwritten like nothing I have ever seen, but I think subsequent volumes will prove it to be the most important stuff he's written.

I am not sure if this is a joke or just sad.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

StoicRomance posted:

He writes slow, he does a ton of international touring, he runs a charity, he is helping write a video game, and he just announced that his wife is pregnant with his second kid.

Poop.

Are there any generally accepted theories as to what are behind the mysterious doors in The Archives? It sounds like the working title of the third book is something involving them, but are there any theories? Maybe that's where they keep any written record of the Chandarian?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

SgtScruffy posted:

Poop.

Are there any generally accepted theories as to what are behind the mysterious doors in The Archives? It sounds like the working title of the third book is something involving them, but are there any theories? Maybe that's where they keep any written record of the Chandarian?

http://kkc.wikia.com/wiki/Iax

Felurian mentions the guy who stole the moon was locked behind doors of stone. My guess is those doors are the doors in the Archives, and Kvothe through wacky adventures will accidently set him free.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StoicRomance posted:

think one of his parents is very sick too. all in all I think we're in for a long wait.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Habibi posted:

I am not sure if this is a joke or just sad.

Not "important" like Ulysses, just in terms of foreshadowing and lore communication. If you read the rest of the post (gasp) I outline a few things he writes about in those chapters I expect to be integral to the rest of the plot.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

StoicRomance posted:

Not "important" like Ulysses, just in terms of foreshadowing and lore communication. If you read the rest of the post (gasp) I outline a few things he writes about in those chapters I expect to be integral to the rest of the plot.

Oh, don't worry - I was responding to your post as a whole. :)

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
The funny thing about Kvothe is that he is described how I viewed myself from the ages of 15-20. I was so self assured and a lot of things came easily to me. I'd almost rather have been kicked out of college instead of what actually ended up happening. I let my hubris and ego get the better of me and went woman chasing, didn't keep up with my studies, and dropped out.

I ended up homeless and lost 30 pounds in the span of half a year. Ended up dating a call girl and was pretty much a mess. Can honestly say I've never called a woman a whore though, so Kvothe deffo beats me in being a total shithead in that department.

I recognize so many things in Rothfuss' story that mirror things that have happened in my own life, so for better or worse I enjoy the books. He has a way of describing camaraderie of youth and being completely reckless in a way I immediately identify with. He even explains hunger and being penniless so well. I don't know anything about his life but I wonder if Rothfuss went through any of these things, or if he just stole from other better authors.

He gets so much right, but why the hell did he have to make Kvothe 15? If he had just toned everything down a little bit he would have me completely. But he just misses the mark.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 17, 2014

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Nebula winner and Writing Excuses host Mary Robinnete Kowal posted her erotic Kvothe fanfic for Pat's Worldbuilders charity.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/The-Wind-Comes-Mary-Robinette-Kowal-Worldbuilders-2013.pdf

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BananaNutkins posted:

Nebula winner and Writing Excuses host Mary Robinnete Kowal posted her erotic Kvothe fanfic for Pat's Worldbuilders charity.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/The-Wind-Comes-Mary-Robinette-Kowal-Worldbuilders-2013.pdf
After the second book I'm full up on erotic Kvothe material but thanks for the heads up.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Are you waiting patiently for Doors of Stone, a book that was supposedly written 10+ years ago but apparently didn't include enough hot sex so it has to be substantially rewritten? Well I have bad news for you: according to Pat's recent AMA, he's planning to write nearly 200k words worth of other stories before finishing the third book.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I just read the first 2 books. Literally finished WMF 30 minutes ago. I checked to see when DoS would be out.

It's like dealing with GRRM all over again.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Are you waiting patiently for Doors of Stone, a book that was supposedly written 10+ years ago but apparently didn't include enough hot sex so it has to be substantially rewritten? Well I have bad news for you: according to Pat's recent AMA, he's planning to write nearly 200k words worth of other stories before finishing the third book.

This is the bane of readers everywhere when an author develops a moderate following or becomes internet famous, suddenly a host of other writing opportunities and PR gigs take precedence over finishing their novels.

Take Joe Abercrombie for example. In 6 years he's written a amazing complete trilogy plus three pretty long novels set in the same universe, and is on track to write 4 more in the next 5 years. Authors like GRRM and Rothfuss just get so much press and attention for what they've done that there's no major push for them to do something new.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The worst for me was Wheel of Time, when Jordan wrote a couple of fairly bad installments that failed to advance the plot much, and then decided that his next book would be New Spring. A responsible editor would have told him to bury any such bullshit and finish the series, but famous authors seem to escape all oversight fairly quickly.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pentyne posted:

This is the bane of readers everywhere when an author develops a moderate following or becomes internet famous, suddenly a host of other writing opportunities and PR gigs take precedence over finishing their novels.

Eh, delays usually don't bother me too much; an author can take as long as they want to write their books. Rothfuss specifically pisses me off because he's changed his story about the level of completeness of his series several times throughout the years and pulled the old "no you misunderstood me" bullshit excuse when called on it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Quote is not edit...

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The thing that I enjoy so much about Rothfuss' writing is how perfectly polished his prose is. Rothfuss basically spins straw into gold when he writes, turning a fairly mediocre story into this smoothly flowing work of loving art.

I'm perfectly content to let him spend as much time as he wants on each book because without all the polish on his writing, who really gives a poo poo about it?

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Khizan posted:

The thing that I enjoy so much about Rothfuss' writing is how perfectly polished his prose is. Rothfuss basically spins straw into gold when he writes, turning a fairly mediocre story into this smoothly flowing work of loving art.

Actually his prose is about as purple as it gets. He may shine in comparison to R.A. Salvatore and the like but he's a pretty terrible writer.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Quality of prose aside, a 200k total set of novels is something Sanderson writes on his poop breaks.

I'm going to have to do a reread of Rothfuss because I looked at the stuff about Auri on that reddit link and had no idea who the character was.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Is it s given that the Edema Ruh are basically a the Adem who were exiled for their love of song and pageantry?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The Walking Dad posted:

Is it s given that the Edema Ruh are basically a the Adem who were exiled for their love of song and pageantry?

Aren't the ethnic features too dissimilar? I can't really remember now.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I don't think that's true. I just think some of the Adem like music. I do think that Kvothe's mother was the Lackless girl who ran away though

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

Junk Science posted:

Actually his prose is about as purple as it gets. He may shine in comparison to R.A. Salvatore and the like but he's a pretty terrible writer.

As a STEM major who has passed 30 and still reads motherfucking fantasy novels, I'm just about the farthest from being qualified to quibble over literary terms there is. But, without using some words I haven't used since high school English class, I'll just say that the books are quite readable to my uncultured palate and kept me up some late nights. Then again, Tom Clancy and Dan Brown can do the same thing and I don't think anybody is going out of their way to praise those guys' technical prowess.

What I'm saying is that I like some bad bad things, and I like these books, so I guess I'm not saying much of anything. But this thread mostly consists of people giving their vote, so here's one more for the hat.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

The Gay Bean posted:

Then again, Tom Clancy and Dan Brown can do the same thing and I don't think anybody is going out of their way to praise those guys' technical prowess.

I couldn't put DaVinci Code down when I read it nor Rainbow Six or a couple other Clancy books. There is something to be said about writing somewhat entertaining action sequences, and those books definitely held my interest through them even though they're not the greatest and children won't be reading them in the Great Books program in schools.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Democratic Pirate posted:

Quality of prose aside, a 200k total set of novels is something Sanderson writes on his poop breaks.

I'm going to have to do a reread of Rothfuss because I looked at the stuff about Auri on that reddit link and had no idea who the character was.

What popped into my head there was someone barking at Rothfuss "I read Brandon Sanderson, the Writer of the Cosm, who could outwrite the five of you with his left hand, while taking a piss with his right."

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

A friend let me borrow both the books a little over a month ago. Read each one in a week. I will say the sex stuff that is so frequently complained about, does seem to stand out only because so little seems to happen in between. I still enjoyed the books and look forward to the third.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Which I imagine are quite long lasting these days, considering how big he appears to have gotten.

I'm getting annoyed with this trend of authors having such an issue finishing what they started.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Just finished Name.

I don't know how to say this, but I feel almost nervous going into Book 2. Kvothe has already said some of the sadder things that are going to happen to him and I'm dreading them coming up. Sure, he's a liar and most of this is his story and may not be true, but I like story-Kvothe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Don't worry, by the end of the second book you'll actively root for his misfortune.

• Locked thread