Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Covok posted:

Also, if I can vent for a moment, it can be hard to play this game if you're DM is treating the system like its 3.5 or PF. Gonna be dropping out of that game.

Yeah, if your GM is doing that, you're not really playing Dungeon World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Fenarisk posted:

How is this possible?

It mostly came from how he chooses to handle things. I won't bore you by going in too much detail, but he cares a bit too much about realism, has trouble with failing forward, doesn't really get the conversation thing and ends up pretty railroady, and is a generally antagonist GM. To clarify that last part, he's a nice enough guy, but his GMing style is pretty cutthroat. His love of traps lead to the old poking-the-ground-with-a-pole standby, for example.

The reason I said 3.5/PF is because, at moments, he reminded me of the type of GM who had to deal with a lot of power gamers over the years and is "afraid" of players as a result.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
It can be hard to break out of bad RPG habits, but at least if he's trying DW it's a step in the right direction.

You might send him the DW guide from the OP so that he's more likely to "get it".

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Elmo Oxygen posted:

It can be hard to break out of bad RPG habits, but at least if he's trying DW it's a step in the right direction.

You might send him the DW guide from the OP so that he's more likely to "get it".

Hopefully that will work better than our after session talk did. He thought my explanation was too vague and I couldn't think of a better way to word it. If I had know there was a guide, I would have probably linked that instead.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Send him the Apocalypse World GM section too. The AW lines things up in a much more efficient way, because Vince Baker knows when it's time to lay down the loving law. If your GM is GMing Dungeon World and he isn't following the First Session stuff, or using GM Moves, then he isn't being a bad GM. He just isn't playing Dungeon World by the rules. The GM Moves are, like all rules, guidelines, but they're very good guidelines.

Apocalypse World Page 108 and 109 posted:

THE MASTER OF CEREMONIES
That’s you, the MC, Apocalypse World’s GM.

There are a million ways to GM games; Apocalypse World calls for one way in particular. This chapter is it. Follow these as rules. The whole rest of the game is built upon this.

AGENDA

• Make Apocalypse World seem real.
• Make the players’ characters’ lives not boring.
• Play to find out what happens.

Everything you say, you should do it to accomplish these three, and no other. It’s not, for instance, your agenda to make the players lose, or to deny them what they want, or to punish them, or to control them, or to get them through your pre-planned storyline (DO NOT pre-plan a storyline, and I’m not loving around). It’s not your job to put their characters in double-binds or dead ends, or to yank the rug out from under their feet. Go chasing after any of those, you’ll wind up with a boring game that makes Apocalypse World seem contrived, and you’ll be pre-deciding what happens by yourself, not playing to find out.

Play to find out: there’s a certain discipline you need in order to MC Apocalypse World. You have to commit yourself to the game’s fiction’s own internal logic and causality, driven by the players’ characters. You have to open yourself to caring what happens, but when it comes time to say what happens, you have to set what you hope for aside.

The reward for MCing, for this kind of GMing, comes with the discipline. When you find something you genuinely care about — a question about what will happen that you genuinely want to find out — letting the game’s fiction decide it is uniquely satisfying.

ALWAYS SAY

• What the principles demand (as follow).
• What the rules demand.
• What your prep demands.
• What honesty demands.

Apocalypse World divvies the conversation up in a strict and pretty traditional way. The players’ job is to say what their characters say and undertake to do, first and exclusively; to say what their characters think, feel and remember, also exclusively; and to answer your questions about their characters’ lives and surroundings. Your job as MC is to say everything else: everything about the world, and what everyone in the whole damned world says and does except the players’ characters. Always be scrupulous, even generous, with the truth. The players depend on you to give them real information they can really use, about their characters’ surroundings, about what’s happening when and where. Same with the game’s rules: play with integrity and an open hand. The players are entitled to the full benefits of their moves, their rolls, their characters’ strengths and resources. Don’t chisel them, don’t weasel, don’t play gotcha. If you’re playing the game as the players’ adversary, your decision-making responsibilities and your rules-oversight constitute a conflict of interests. Play the game with the players, not against them.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I spent some time working on the Voidtouched, and there's a new draft of it up now!

The big change is that I reworked madness, turning it into warp instead. Changed the description a bit to (hopefully) help it make more sense in regards to the fiction. Also you still gain warp from Whispered Madness, but it is different from the madness you hold for that move. Cleaned up some other moves (and changed a couple entirely) as well.

I'm still trying to decide about the aberrations. I like the idea of a chaotic patron choosing one for you (what happens when you roll the d6), but if other people think it's a bad idea, I'll look at removing it.

As always, let me know what you think! I'm definitely much happier about the class now than I was.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much homebrewing (if any) is needed to convert DungeonWorld into something you could play in a forum? I was thinking of using Orokos.com (since it'll make it super easy to verify rolls,) and just have players choose their own results from what they're doing (since most of the time it's just "pick 2 of X choices") but I'm kind of curious about combat and the like. It might be really fun and cool. What do you guys think, can you drum up some examples of where it could, and couldn't work?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Turtlicious posted:

How much homebrewing (if any) is needed to convert DungeonWorld into something you could play in a forum? I was thinking of using Orokos.com (since it'll make it super easy to verify rolls,) and just have players choose their own results from what they're doing (since most of the time it's just "pick 2 of X choices") but I'm kind of curious about combat and the like. It might be really fun and cool. What do you guys think, can you drum up some examples of where it could, and couldn't work?

Needs two things:

1) "Aid another" can happen after the fact, when somebody rolls a 6 or a 9 and somebody else tries to bump it up. Coordination is an issue otherwise.

2) People can hit the dice roller if they think they're making a move, but the DM's free to walk it back. (Optionally, the roll then stands for the next thing they try to do.)

Other than that, it works pretty fine.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Is a character's load N+Strength or N+STR?

i.e. if a bard (load 9+STR) has 9 Strength, is his load 9 or 18?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Load and HP are the base value of the stat + whatever, not the modifier.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

protomexican posted:

Is a character's load N+Strength or N+STR?

i.e. if a bard (load 9+STR) has 9 Strength, is his load 9 or 18?

it's N+STR, the modifier, so 9.

I think pretty much the only times the pure stat is used is for Constitution on HP, and Charisma for some prices, and a few classes utilise the base stat in interesting ways.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Load and HP are the base value of the stat + whatever, not the modifier.

No, this is wrong. Load is +Str, not +Strength. HP is +Constitution.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oh really? Well I never really worry about item weight anyway because I personally hate keeping track of poo poo like encumbrance and gold and I just hand-wave everything.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Oh really? Well I never really worry about item weight anyway because I personally hate keeping track of poo poo like encumbrance and gold and I just hand-wave everything.

I actually like the encumberance stuff in DW, since the numbers you're dealing with are pretty low, and I love presenting players with wealth they just can't carry, making them choose between money and useful gear.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Turtlicious posted:

PbP is the only way I play (geographical reasons). It works, but it's a completely different animal. It's snacking on your hobby daily rather than gorging on it a few times a month.

Oh, and Invisible Castle is a good die roller site, too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yo backers, check your email. The first sample chapter of the War supplement just got mailed out.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yo backers, check your email. The first sample chapter of the War supplement just got mailed out.

Oh wow what's it like? Do you know when it's going to be available to non-backers?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

So I'm going to be running my first game of Dungeon World this month! :toot:

I'm going to be using the Lair of the Unknown adventure to ease myself into the system, and I've been reading over the DW guide in the OP. I was thinking, as far as class availability goes, of having the base classes from the book, plus Barbarian and a few third party classes (Arcane Duelist, Initiate, Mage, and Medic).

Anyone have any general advice for me? If anyone's run Lair of the Unknown, some advice for running that would also be appreciated.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

NuclearPotato posted:

I'm going to be using the Lair of the Unknown adventure to ease myself into the system, and I've been reading over the DW guide in the OP. I was thinking, as far as class availability goes, of having the base classes from the book, plus Barbarian and a few third party classes (Arcane Duelist, Initiate, Mage, and Medic).

Anyone have any general advice for me? If anyone's run Lair of the Unknown, some advice for running that would also be appreciated.
Just completely shelve Cleric and Wizard. Mage is way better than Wizard because Cast a Spell is way better than having a dumb spell list.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Just completely shelve Cleric and Wizard. Mage is way better than Wizard because Cast a Spell is way better than having a dumb spell list.

That does depend on who your players are- some will be much more comfortable with spell lists. If they don't have a history of D&D, going with Mage and Priest instead is probably good- also, grab the Improved Fighter and City Thief, and probably the improved Bard. I think Paladin, Ranger, and Druid are the only classes that haven't been properly overhauled yet.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I was thinking about the Wizard, and magic points, and ammo in Dungeon World. So here's a draft for some moves that replace spell memorization and forgetting with a Mana Pool.

Mana Reserves
You have a Mana pool with a maximum equal to your level+Int. When you spend uninterrupted time (an hour or so) in quiet focus to gather magical energy from around you to replenish your reserves, fill you Mana pool to it's maximum.

Cast a Spell
When you focus your magical energy and release it into a spell you know whose level is equal to or less than your remaining Mana, roll+Int. On a 10+, the spell is successfully cast and the spell does not drain your reserves. On a 7-9, the spell is cast, but choose one:

•You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot, The GM will tell you how.
•The spell disturbs the fabric of reality as it is cast—take -1 ongoing to cast a spell until the next time you replenish your reserves.
•The spell drains your reserves, you lose the spell level's worth of Mana from your Mana Pool.

I'm not really sure about the wording for the trigger on cast a spell, it feels a little clumsy and maybe ambiguous if you're new to RPGs.

I think once I'm happy with these moves, I'll modify the Wizard playbook to provide an alternate version.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug

NuclearPotato posted:

Make sure you and your players know what your agendas are! Personally, I've only ever been a DM for Dungeon World, but I've been a character in D&D 3rd ed. and World of Darkness games - and both of those play way differently from DW, both on the players' side and on the GM's side. If you haven't read through the really amazing GM's guide here, be sure to check it out. It's amazingly useful.

The big thing you should keep in mind is plan very little. If you've got some cool ideas for monsters, great - stat 'em up! If you've got some cool names or concepts, that's cool too. But don't take it past that stage. Drop all the half-baked stuff on your players and see what they make of it. One of your agendas is to play to find out what happens, not railroad them into a plot you had planned out from the start. You can exposit at them when your players Spout Lore or Discern Realities, or when it's appropriate to. Remember that you get to play all the NPCs, too! It's often best to give your players in-game info through an NPC, not just tell them about it ex machina.

Second, be sure to give your players agency. They'll probably do something completely unexpected about half an hour in. Great. It's exactly what you want to happen. Roll with it, and let their actions shape your world, just as your world shapes their actions. The world you build is a collaborative one, and it's generally better for it. My best sessions have been ones where I had only vague plans, or none at all, and let the players shine.

For example: my Artificer in the DW campaign I run likes to trap ghosts in flasks. Last session, she set them all off at once and blew a hole in the Planes. I didn't plan for this at all, but it's awesome as hell. So I told her, "You remember that hole you blew in the Planes? Yeah, it's not closing. And it's getting bigger. What do you do?" I'm hoping she (and the rest of the party) decide to go through the hole, since I have a boatload of cool setting ideas that take place on the other side, but I'm not going to force them into doing it. If they decide otherwise, I'll toss my ideas out and come up with new ones. "Slowly growing interplanar rip" is something with limitless possibility. :v:

And one thing you definitely should not do is: tell your players what's going to happen before it happens. This is Dungeon World, not a NaNoWriMo writer's chat. Don't ask your players what they'll think if X, Y, and Z happens in-game (you can do that here), but do ask them if there's anything you could do to improve the campaign, or your GMing style. Similarly, have your players ask you if there's anything they could be doing to be better players. This doesn't mean railroading them, or bitching about something a character does that you don't like, but it does mean making sure they're giving you awesome fiction to work with, thinking dangerously, marking XP on failures, and in general following their agendas the same way you do yours.

And if anybody's being That Guy, call them out on it - bad gaming is even worse than none.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

madadric posted:

I was thinking about the Wizard, and magic points, and ammo in Dungeon World.

I've been working on exactly this mechanic for the Infernal.

The Infernal posted:

Exalted - When you make camp, hold 3 Essence. You can hold a maximum of 3 Essence at a time.
Essence-powered - You can't use this move if you hold 0 Essence.
Committed - You must commit Essence to this move in order to use it. When you commit your Essence to a move, spend 1 Essence and lower the cap on your Essence by 1. When you release committed Essence, the move deactivates and you raise the cap on your Essence by 1.
There's also moves which cost Essence to use. So you've got a lot to work with - there's a spectrum from completely free moves to Essence-powered moves, moves which require you to spend Essence, Committed moves, moves which can only be used at a Place of Power. I'm really happy with it!

Edit: And of course you could have moves which risk your resource like that Cast A Spell move up there.

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 16, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bigup DJ posted:

Oh wow what's it like? Do you know when it's going to be available to non-backers?

I haven't had time to do much beyond skimming it yet. Basically the chapter is about armies.

An army is made up of units, and each unit is pretty much treated like a creature with morale instead of hp and fixed damage. They also have tags like fanatic, mobile, or ranged. You can also use large monsters (like dragons) as units.

There are rules for raising units from steadings or the general land. Or how to use constructs or undead to get around that.

Army management seems pretty simple; one in every four units needs to be able to provide support to the other three. Making food, carrying and repairing gear, that sort of thing.

The rest of the chapter is about actual battles, and they can either be off-screen, with the characters participating in the battle, and with the characters commanding the army from elsewhere.

There are also a few war-specific GM moves:

quote:

• Sew confusion and disorder
• Act on a larger scale
• Turn the tide
• Show side-effects of their actions

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Thanks for the general advice guys and gals; now I've got a specific question regarding monsters:

Once in a while, you'll see a letter of some sort to the left of the damage, like this:

quote:

Crushing vines (w[2d8]damage)

The rulebook doesn't actually explain what this means, so please tell me what's going on.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I have no idea where it says it, but damage notation:

"w" means roll all the dice listed and pick the lowest result.

"b" means roll all the dice listed and pick the highest result.

So in the above case, you roll 2d8, and you pick the lower d8 result to use.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The w and b stand for worst and best, respectively. It's on page 23.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 18, 2014

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Still working on the Infernal, comments are still appreciated. I've also begun work on the Fae - I've got 16 drives and a few move sketches written up so far. Comments on that would be good too.

Spincut posted:

I spent some time working on the Voidtouched, and there's a new draft of it up now!

The big change is that I reworked madness, turning it into warp instead. Changed the description a bit to (hopefully) help it make more sense in regards to the fiction. Also you still gain warp from Whispered Madness, but it is different from the madness you hold for that move. Cleaned up some other moves (and changed a couple entirely) as well.

I'm still trying to decide about the aberrations. I like the idea of a chaotic patron choosing one for you (what happens when you roll the d6), but if other people think it's a bad idea, I'll look at removing it.

As always, let me know what you think! I'm definitely much happier about the class now than I was.

Much better! I'd love to do a full commentary on this but I've been busy. Here's some comments:

Rather than providing preassembled combat aberrations, I really think you should work up a system for people to construct their own aberrations, like the Fighter's Signature Weapon. Part of the broader problem with this playbook is that you're offering a moderate amount of very specific, usually inconsistent options rather than a smaller amount of consistently structured, open-ended options which end up doing more.

I love the fact that you're focusing on the fiction over mechanics and dice tricks and so on, but your moves could use a little more mechanical backing. For instance, what if Nightmare-Bringer allowed you to Parley with someone while they were sleeping? You appear to them shrouded in veils with horrible insectoid limbs poking out from under your robes and tell them you'll be back tomorrow night unless they give you their first born son. There's your leverage!

In regards to both those things, I'd do this - turn your non-combat aberrations into advanced moves and turn your combat aberrations into a Signature Weapon-style build-a-monster move. The Lord of Stars and the Lifegiver could provide extra features for your turn-into-a-monster move and I think you'd be fine if you retained the Whisperer of Secrets' compelling voice move and got rid of the combat benefits. Consider including some info about what the cults get up to under each of the Patrons - paint it in broad strokes.

Here's a rewrite of the mechanics for We Are Legion: "...When you enter a civilised settlement for the first time, roll+Cha. On a 10+, the cult is well entrenched - some of its members occupy positions of power within the community. On a 7-9, your cult is lacking power but otherwise healthy." If you did that, you'd replace the second sentence of The Lord of Stars wigth this: "...When you roll a 7-9 on We Are Legion, treat it as a 10+..." Stuff like that is why you want some things to have a mechanical basis - mechanics are a useful shorthand for fictional elements and you can refer back to them. That's why they're there.

Whispered Madness should look something like this: "When you mutter strange curses in an alien tongue, pick someone within earshot and roll+Cha. On a 10+, their minds are broken and they go stark raving mad - pick 1. On a 7-9, pick 1, but it doesn't last long. • They go comatose and begin babbling inconherently. • They're consumed with rage and they attack everything around them indiscriminately. • They're terrified of everything" It would be cool if you included an advanced move which allowed you to delay the effects of the move, hold 1 and trigger it later on at your leisure. You could also have a move which allowed you to make those effects permanent if you had enough time with someone.

If you're going to do anything with Warp, please make it a 1-to-1 effect so it's easy to keep track of - 1 Warp means one insane compulsion or one mutation or something like that. In regards to Warp, there doesn't seem to be any coherent theme to the powers provided by Warped Personality. It's also unclear what kind of questions you can ask your Patron. The second option is too situational - just say you start with a mark which identifies you as a champion of your Patron or something. The biggest problem here and with the playbook more broadly is that there's not enough fictional justification. How exactly does your connection to your Patron allow you to scare people off? Consider winding the move back a bit and limiting it to communion with your Patron. Spend 1 Warp to ask your Patron what it would have you do and gain +1 Forward or Ongoing when carrying out its order. Spend 1 Warp to contact your Patron and it will let you know of something that's going to impede your progress in the near future. Maybe make the former a 7+ result and the latter a 10+ result - it tells you what it wants done and if you're lucky it might let you know why or what you're going to come up against.

I hope this helps!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So I finally got my group to play, and I have some stupid newbie questions. Or rather, I want to run what I'm doing by people to see if I'm crazy or not, since this'll be my first time playing Dungeon World let alone running it.

1) I'm basically aping this episode of Retsutalk : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX1c-YULHEA Like, not the content, obviously, but I was going to just ask a similar line of questions at the beginning after giving them a really vague locale. e.g. "You're in a cave/forgotten temple/MacDonald's, why are you there? [Follow up question to a different player bouncing off of the first answer]" And then just wing it.

I know it's said in the book, and it's been repeated in the thread, but I still want confirmation. Like, on the one hand, I'm really really happy about how little I have to prep since I never ended up using that stuff since the players did something else, but it's a little intimidating for the game to tell me I can do this.

I will 100% be fine with just a vague idea like it being a cave or swamp or whatever, a half a dozen cool encounter ideas in case they're relevant, and some monsters to shove in/use as a baseline for ones on the fly, yes?

2) I'm a big believer in not loving with things until you've tried them, but there's a lot of talk in the last couple pages about alternative playbooks. I was originally just going to do the basic ones from the book, plus the Dashing Hero because I am just in love with that class (Thank you so much, gnome7!). I'm hesitant to start messing with it until I get my hands dirty, what are people's opinions? Is it really worth tossing the Cleric and Wizard for the Priest and the Mage as well?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

So I finally got my group to play, and I have some stupid newbie questions. Or rather, I want to run what I'm doing by people to see if I'm crazy or not, since this'll be my first time playing Dungeon World let alone running it.

1) I'm basically aping this episode of Retsutalk : Like, not the content, obviously, but I was going to just ask a similar line of questions at the beginning after giving them a really vague locale. e.g. "You're in a cave/forgotten temple/MacDonald's, why are you there? [Follow up question to a different player bouncing off of the first answer]" And then just wing it.

I know it's said in the book, and it's been repeated in the thread, but I still want confirmation. Like, on the one hand, I'm really really happy about how little I have to prep since I never ended up using that stuff since the players did something else, but it's a little intimidating for the game to tell me I can do this.

I will 100% be fine with just a vague idea like it being a cave or swamp or whatever, a half a dozen cool encounter ideas in case they're relevant, and some monsters to shove in/use as a baseline for ones on the fly, yes?

2) I'm a big believer in not loving with things until you've tried them, but there's a lot of talk in the last couple pages about alternative playbooks. I was originally just going to do the basic ones from the book, plus the Dashing Hero because I am just in love with that class (Thank you so much, gnome7!). I'm hesitant to start messing with it until I get my hands dirty, what are people's opinions? Is it really worth tossing the Cleric and Wizard for the Priest and the Mage as well?

Yes! I haven't listened to that podcast, but really, questions are the most important part of the world-building process. Go ahead and ask questions. Use the player's bonds and background as springboards, they really influence the way the world turns out. Gladiators mean the world has arenas somewhere in it, somewhere in the past. The Mechanic implies a certain technology level. Paladins may or may not imply Orders.

Like, the Gladiator mentions that one of the other players bet against them, once. This can be a metaphorical bet, but in one one-shot, I had it so that the bet was literal. If so, who's running the betting parlors? Are the players in debt now? What are they going to have to get to pay off that bet?

A lot of the time I don't even go in with a location. I just start either empty handed or with a theme like "Ice". I think there really should be a codified "question phase" to hammer out the setting in *World games, which is what I'm doing with my January contest entry.

And yeah, go ahead and toss out the core classes. I don't think I've run a game with them once after my first one. Mage is great if a little unbalanced right now, I haven't used priest, all the Inverse World ones are great, as are, at least, the classes with a siren in the OP. Most of the other ones are pretty good too.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

The problem with a lot of the default playbooks is that they're fairly bland, and quite often just not all that fun to use, compared. Of them, the Druid is probably the best, and also bears the least resemblance to its D&D counterpart. The Fighter is a little bland on its own, but with Improved Fighter to patch it up and a bit of imagination, you can make plenty of fun stuff. It's almost as versatile as the Mage if you want any sort of physical powerhouse, especially with the multiclass moves.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Bigup DJ posted:

Much better! I'd love to do a full commentary on this but I've been busy. Here's some comments:

I hope this helps!

Thank you! It really does. This is my first time building a playbook, and any commentary helps. I think the hardest thing for me so far is trying to balance the mechanics and the fiction. Go too hard into mechanics and things don't make sense in terms of the fiction; go too hard into fiction and you're doing too much without consequence. I'll tinker with it some more and see if I can't fix it up.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Welp. I tried my hand at making a playbook.

Hero of the Wind and Sky [PDF]

For the rough idea of making Link into a playbook worked decently. I'm going to be going back and rewriting some sort of resource system like the Princess Playbook though. Using adventuring kits like I am now is just too hacky.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

SystemLogoff posted:

For the rough idea of making Link into a playbook worked decently. I'm going to be going back and rewriting some sort of resource system like the Princess Playbook though. Using adventuring kits like I am now is just too hacky.

Just a few things that stood out to me, I'm not an expert at making playbooks so I can't say too much.

Sword Beam needs a clearer requirement, because "Constitution - CON" is very confusing.
Spin Attack is ridiculously powerful. Even on a 7-9 you can deal a ton of damage really quickly and receive no retaliation in kind which makes it way stronger than Hack and Slash.

I noticed a few times you used Adventuring Gear/Kit, may want to be a bit more consistent with that.
What good is a Bug Net? No other moves relate to it.

Nymph Slingshot and Sprite Bow give you whole new equipment options to use, did you mean to do the same with the Pixie Boomerang? You may want to specify whether or not someone else can use your Temporary equipment. (Maybe that's okay, like how Link's bow got given away for the final battle in Wind Waker.)
For Resourceful, it should be to gain 1 or 2 Ammo, not 15 arrows. Dungeon World doesn't like to keep precise counts of ammo, just vague amounts.
Bombs should be Near only, not Far. Also 1 Weight instead of +1 Weight. Actually if you're throwing them in that instant, would the Weight matter?
Words Across Worlds is a great move, maybe make the wording less ambiguous. You understand their language, do they understand you?

Light Arrows is a 6-10 move that Requires another 6-10 move. It's a bit unusual for that reason alone.
For Light Arrows and Mastered Sword, you don't say what the "Holy" and "Blessed" tags do. Then again, I'm not sure you need to, if it's supposed to be flavorful like Messy and Forceful.
Item Finder should be a 2-5 move. Same with Fairy Compass (maybe make Linking Map require it?).
Silver Key seems a bit much for 3 uses, 2 seems more appropriate.

All in all, you really focused on making this a direct copy of Link which is fine for a rough draft. But from here it's time to put on some polish and step away from the source. Going through the Advanced Moves, it seems like you want a character that carries a lot of various useful gear, possibly from accidentally/deliberately breaking other things along the way. That clashes a bit with the starting four moves, three of which focus on the Hero's Magical Sword. But I actually really like that you're getting your mileage out of the Adventuring Gear. While it's a bit hacky, no other Playbook really emphasizes that so I think you're fine.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

SystemLogoff posted:

First off, you're focusing way too much on emulating stuff from Legend of Zelda. As it is, it's really obvious that the playbook's just a collection of LoZ mechanics and not the brave adventurer solving puzzles with their wits and gadgets that this should be.

Second, it just doesn't have a good base. Sure, the starting moves are things Link does, but those things alone don't help you feel like you're playing Link in something as fiction-focused as Dungeon World. It doesn't even touch noncombat stuff.

Third, there's having flavorful gear, and then there's having gear that's mechanically fiddly for no good reason. Your gear list is firmly in the latter. There's a lot of choices, but they aren't that interesting. Also, if you're going to have a bunch of advanced moves key off of uses of adventuring gear, you should give them some adventuring gear as part of their starting gear.

Fourth, and this is really just a repeat of the first point, the moves are just kind of dull in general. They do plenty of things mechanically, but fictionally they're dull as dishwater. A big part of this is that they don't get any advanced moves that aren't just modifying a basic move until level 6, and even then there's only two of them. They just don't get anything cool and unique to actually do.

I know all this sounds very negative, and honestly that's because it is. There's the idea of a good playbook here, of an adventurer brave and true circumventing problems with a sword and plenty of tricks. It's just not here. I'll probably write a post about how I'd make this concept later, but for now I'm just going to think on it and hope people come along and give better playbook creation advice than I did.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It's good to have the reviews. I'm planing on rewriting it anyway.
Thank you everyone.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
My Sorcerer is getting closer to release. I have two playbook versions that will come in the package, the Bright, and the Grim. The only real difference is move order and the drives, backgrounds, and bonds are different.

I'd love feedback, and also anyone posting Sorcerer art and a link so I could contact an artist, or just plug some artists I could commission for a cover.

These links will stay up until I'm ready to release it on DTRPG

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Handgun Phonics posted:

The problem with a lot of the default playbooks is that they're fairly bland, and quite often just not all that fun to use, compared. Of them, the Druid is probably the best, and also bears the least resemblance to its D&D counterpart. The Fighter is a little bland on its own, but with Improved Fighter to patch it up and a bit of imagination, you can make plenty of fun stuff. It's almost as versatile as the Mage if you want any sort of physical powerhouse, especially with the multiclass moves.
I've had the opposite opinion, as a DW newbie; most alternative playbooks are too complex for my liking. I couldn't even get through the Mage playbook foci without my eyes glazing over.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

PerniciousKnid posted:

I've had the opposite opinion, as a DW newbie; most alternative playbooks are too complex for my liking. I couldn't even get through the Mage playbook foci without my eyes glazing over.

To be honest, I did way better with The Witch for a generic spellcaster than I did with the Mage, if you want a non-Vancian generic replacement spellcaster.

madadric posted:

My Sorcerer is getting closer to release. I have two playbook versions that will come in the package, the Bright, and the Grim. The only real difference is move order and the drives, backgrounds, and bonds are different.

I'd love feedback, and also anyone posting Sorcerer art and a link so I could contact an artist, or just plug some artists I could commission for a cover.

These links will stay up until I'm ready to release it on DTRPG

:ssh: They both link to the Sorcerer Grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

The Mage version with the foci list is the most complex playbook I've seen to date- I've much preferred the second version, which is much closer to The Witch anyway. As a rule, I distrust any playbook with a required third page.