Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

surc posted:

Excellent news, thanks! I really want to enjoy this series because oh god the quality of the animation.

Conversely, episode 3 has a monster made of boobs. But it's not made of boobs for very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I think I liked last weeks episode better, but man did I laugh hard when he turned into a mech

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

The Glumslinger posted:

I think I liked last weeks episode better, but man did I laugh hard when he turned into a mech

Oh god, the mech. I can't believe we haven't really talked about the mech yet. Even when he's piloting a robot, Dandy's an awful shot.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

With the last episode, I'm getting the feeling that Each episode has been about a different universe's Space Dandy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh man, the expired space food being weaponized was the best thing and hey, Dandy finally got paid.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I thought it odd that he couldn't use his zappo laser gun for poo poo but once he transformed into the mecha he seemed at least semi-competent at piloting it.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I have to say - while the plot is a bit too aimless for my taste and some of the characters are plain unfunny (looking at you, robot), I can't help but admire it. Dandy himself makes me laugh pretty much all the time, which is a good sign! It really is Zap Brannigan, the Anime. The third episode feels like the best one so far, with an honorable mention for the bitter-sweet / incredibly funny noodle shop flashback in Ep.2. Also, going from Kill La Kill to this, I cannot believe how a weekly show can be THIS well-animated.

Favorite quote of the show?
"See? See how he's a cat?"
Never change, Space Dandy :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

1. It's an episodic series, there's not much of an overall plot.

2. You're wrong, QT owns.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Steve Jorbs posted:

I thought it odd that he couldn't use his zappo laser gun for poo poo but once he transformed into the mecha he seemed at least semi-competent at piloting it.

It isn't that he's a bad shot. He's posing while firing. Those quick cuts of him in various poses, with scantily clad women and everything? That was how he sees the world around him as he's shooting. It's less that he can't shoot, and more that he figures if he looks cool and pulls the trigger everything should work out. However, everything is automatically way cooler if you're doing it in a giant robot so he doesn't have to bother with posing as much.

I get the feeling that Dandy is basically always balanced on the knife's edge of hyper-competency and supreme idiocy. He just tends to lean way more towards the latter most of the time.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Space Dandy's brand of stupidity is a miracle of the Universe. :allears:

Or is it multiverse?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I kind of admire the animation, but the show itself is about as engaging as watching an Nvidia tech demo. The jokes consistently fall so flat it has to be something they're aiming for as a stylistic choice. I guess I raised an eyebrow at the boob monster, but everything else is just so amazingly predictable.

I feel like I'm raining on someone's parade here, so I'll stop posting grumpy impressions in the thread.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It isn't that he's a bad shot. He's posing while firing. Those quick cuts of him in various poses, with scantily clad women and everything? That was how he sees the world around him as he's shooting. It's less that he can't shoot, and more that he figures if he looks cool and pulls the trigger everything should work out.

This is the exact same thing I thought about this episode when he once again missed every shot, this shows is incredible and I love it more each episode.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Ok I rewatched episode 2, and then this week's episode back to back. I take back everything I said. This show is great.

I'm thinking there's gonna be some more serious stuff down the line as we figure out why the Gogol empire sees Dandy as such a threat, but for now it's a lot of fun.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Well, I most certainly did not expect to hear incidental music from Assault on Precinct 13 this week. One of the aliens that Dandy presents to Scarlet at the start of the episode also strongly reminded me of that egg dude from Berserk...

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I was just slightly confused by the fact that that the Deathgerian was identified (aboard the Gogol ship) by a picture in a magazine but yet was a "new" alien lifeform and worth a bounty. I suppose I should not expect any kind of internal consistency.

I agree that the storyline was pretty predictable -- all except for the fact that Dandy finally found a new alien and was rewarded. I would not have predicted that.

Is 99,000 Woolongs really enough for a night at Hooters Boobies? I hope my Subway™ card doesn't expire!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dan7el posted:

I was just slightly confused by the fact that that the Deathgerian was identified (aboard the Gogol ship) by a picture in a magazine but yet was a "new" alien lifeform and worth a bounty. I suppose I should not expect any kind of internal consistency.

I agree that the storyline was pretty predictable -- all except for the fact that Dandy finally found a new alien and was rewarded. I would not have predicted that.

Is 99,000 Woolongs really enough for a night at Hooters Boobies? I hope my Subway™ card doesn't expire!

It depends how rare the creature is. The creature can have been discovered before as long as they don't have too many on record.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Dan7el posted:

It's like how Mew is already in the pokedex but taking a picture of it is still worth 10,000 points.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dan7el posted:

Woolongs in Cowboy Bebop were basically yen, so if that standard holds for Space Dandy they got way underpaid.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dan7el posted:

Given its reputation, I assume no one managed to actually bring one in to register before.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
I've been downloading the Japanese sub off of iTunes and I'm surprised at how fast they go up. Like within a couple hours of the US broadcast.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

It feels like each episode has been better than the last. I honestly hope that this trend keeps up.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Well, here's the ep 4 commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7SmolCFuRE

On the subject of the US broadcast:

LICH KING DEMARCO @Clarknova1 posted:

#toonami fans- don't get used to is running the full open for Bleach again. That was actually a glitch! We ARE working on showing...

LICH KING DEMARCO @Clarknova1 posted:

...the full open and close for SPACE DANDY, however! Stay tuned!

livingfruitvirus fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 20, 2014

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Whoa, the EP3 preview gave away the one plot twist of the episode. I think I'll stop watching those.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

This show is highly gifable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fiend Computer posted:

It feels like each episode has been better than the last. I honestly hope that this trend keeps up.

I liked the last ep better, but that's mostly because I seem to judge this show based on how many faces Meow pulls per minute. His animation is the tops.

Scarlet's Bebop beatdown didn't hurt, either, of course.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
NSFW https://31.media.tumblr.com/703e1f8f0c881c1f64b9997ab528313e/tumblr_mzn4dt1Vh71qkhmjso1_r1_500.gif

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 25, 2014

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

nerdz posted:

Whoa, the EP3 preview gave away the one plot twist of the episode. I think I'll stop watching those.
I watched it again to be sure and I'm not seeing what was given away besides being chased by aliens and Dandy being a bad shot.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

I uh, I think I liked it better censored.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Why is it always the hot ones?

Command Ant posted:

You want him to watch Cardcaptor Sakura?

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Ep 3 was almost ruined by using "light-year" as a length of time (or was that just the dub?) but became the best so far after a short time.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Ep 3 was almost ruined by using "light-year" as a length of time (or was that just the dub?) but became the best so far after a short time.

As far as I know, until Zorak or somebody comes in and kicks me in the face for being stupid, you could actually do that. I forget the context of the scene (though I found it clunky too), but I would think because it's a measure of distance over time you could use it to tick off time (poorly) as well as track distance.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Sounded legit to me. If they were 10,000 light years away, it would have taken them at least 10,000 years to get the food to them.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Silentman0 posted:

Sounded legit to me. If they were 10,000 light years away, it would have taken them at least 10,000 years to get the food to them.

It works because they sent the order back 10,000 years through time so that the food would arrive on time.

But what if they sent it back even further so that the food arrived BEFORE they put in the order? :psyduck:

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

This episode was genuinely creepy at parts, and now I feel dumb for getting spooked at a space boobies anime. I think it's the music during the chase scene, it was pretty unsettling and gave me a similar feeling to parts of the 6th One Piece movie.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Jorbs posted:

I watched it again to be sure and I'm not seeing what was given away besides being chased by aliens and Dandy being a bad shot.

Oh, my bad It's just that the way the japanese next episode preview was edited it really looked like they played the transformation scene, so I started the episode already waiting for it.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Silentman0 posted:

You're right. That occurred to me soon after I posted the wrong interpretation.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Tenebrais posted:

Given its reputation, I assume no one managed to actually bring one in to register before.

Which is why it got them money but not wealthy.

By the way after an entirety of the Cowboy Bebop crew failing to catch bounties it was nice to see Space Dandy succeed so early.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Still veeery uneven show. Most of my enjoyment come from Dandy's mannerisms and facial expressions. QT needs to be sent to the scrap heap - explaining the jokes is the opposite of funny.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chefscientist posted:

Which is why it got them money but not wealthy.

By the way after an entirety of the Cowboy Bebop crew failing to catch bounties it was nice to see Space Dandy succeed so early.

They got paid from time to time, they just immediately pissed it all away again. Dandy will probably have a newly full point card and no more dough by the end of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
I'm clearly in for the long haul because it's so ... drat ... pretty ... :swoon:

But, so far, the writing has been kind of mediocre.

For example, the reveal was obvious enough that the Fleet should have been the gag without the reveal. Or, even better, with the transformation since it wouldn't have spoiled the reveal.

And, Dandy should have continued to be his normal self--posing with the gun and missing.

This show has some really great gag setups. It just seems to have trouble closing the deal.

I wish the Hataraku Maou-sama team writing team were involved. They really seem to have comedic timing down.

(Edit: spoilers)

buzmeg fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 20, 2014

• Locked thread