Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Magmarashi posted:

I am convinced that Forge 'Inner Circle' modders are really cleaver meta-trolls working on a grief game three levels above the rest of humanity

Hrm...I dunno where I fall in your classification here, so I'll not take offense.

Part of the problem is that a lot of modders are somewhat disillusioned with Mojang in general. There are days I honestly wonder what it'd take for Kickstarter backing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

KingLemming posted:

Hrm...I dunno where I fall in your classification here, so I'll not take offense.

Part of the problem is that a lot of modders are somewhat disillusioned with Mojang in general. There are days I honestly wonder what it'd take for Kickstarter backing.

You are clearly working the long con anti-troll to their meta-trolling. It's like noble family political intrigue but in Java.

Take it as you will, but I wouldn't really call you an 'inner circle' sort of Forge modder, and I am basing this entirely off of watching these people talk and interact in videos and out in the lands of their forums. They don't really give off the vibe that they consider you 'on their level' even though you are clearly well above.

I don't really follow how 'disillusioned with mojang' = 'making GBS threads all over their users with needless tedium' but this is a group that consists of people like Sengir so..

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 19, 2014

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

KingLemming posted:

Shut up and take my money?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KingLemming posted:

You don't make things stupidly complicated (IC2) or require stupid things for no reason (BC's power system, OpenBlocks Elevator requiring experience). Therefore, at least around here, you're golden. Especially since TE is pretty freaking awesome, well-balanced, and useful. Hell, I've got a SSP world where it's literally the only tech mod I have.

Thermal Expansion is probably one of the most highly regarded and universally respected mods in the modding community. I don't think I've EVER heard anyone say anything about disliking it. That respect kinda carries over to you. If you and your team announced a Kickstarter for a Minecraft-type game, I'd be willing to bet you'd have a LOT of people willing to give you money for it. I know I would be.

kerrhyphen
Jul 19, 2010

Disaster Ace

Is anyone able to successfully get Faldoncow's Big Reactors control program to work these days? It grabs the pastebin just fine, draws the display, then dies with a Computercraft "too long without yielding" error.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Is there a mod that lets you remove recipes? I'm running magicalcrops in 1.6.4 and want to pull some of it's seeds/crops but setting their ID to zero in the config does jack-poo poo.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

fondue posted:

Is there a mod that lets you remove recipes? I'm running magicalcrops in 1.6.4 and want to pull some of it's seeds/crops but setting their ID to zero in the config does jack-poo poo.

Yes, Minetweaker

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

KingLemming posted:

I think you have stated this before, but I can't remember.

Realistically, what would it take for you to make a better Minecraft? Both money wise, personal life (education finished?), how big of a team, and how much time?
Thinking pretty much Minecraft 1.6.4, without lovely performance and with a good modding API, equal to or surpassing Forge.

Is it even possible? And what would the odds of the average Modded-Minecraft-player even caring?

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

quote:

Is it even possible?
Why wouldn'it be? It probably couldn't have creepers or "The End" and anything related to it in it, though.

quote:

And what would the odds of the average Modded-Minecraft-player even caring?
Good question. Probably the rightest of questions :P

There is an attempt at re-implementing Minecraft in C++ here: http://minetest.net/
Didn't really like their tech-choices when I looked at it a while ago, and I don't know how far along they are now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gimpanse posted:

It probably couldn't have creepers or "The End" and anything related to it in it, though.
Could it have a ten minute long overly pretentious meta-text crawl when you kill the boss though?
(Also, this is a reminder to the entire thread that that's still in the game.)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Gimpanse posted:

Why wouldn'it be? It probably couldn't have creepers or "The End" and anything related to it in it, though.

Good. gently caress Creepers and gently caress The End.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Serifina posted:

Thermal Expansion is probably one of the most highly regarded and universally respected mods in the modding community. I don't think I've EVER heard anyone say anything about disliking it. That respect kinda carries over to you. If you and your team announced a Kickstarter for a Minecraft-type game, I'd be willing to bet you'd have a LOT of people willing to give you money for it. I know I would be.

I've seen some posts along the lines of calling TE boring in several identical arguments, or wishing it had more crazy junk like Industrialcraft. Which always puzzled me but never enough to register on the forums where this happens to find out more.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Does anyone know what the cause is for Achimedes ships to drop a servers TPS by 7 or 8 points? Besides it being a horribly lag fest mod?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Thank you!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How can I automate faucets with Tinkerer's Construct without other crazy industrial mods? I'm trying to make a bunch of glass blocks in Hexxit, so the resources available to me for automation are pretty much vanilla stuff. Note I haven't really played with redstone circuits before, although I understand the terminology with flip-flops and the like. I pretty much just want the faucets to be pouring as much as possible, since this is a single-purpose setup. I finally figured out the hoppers--I think. I'd see the stuff disappear into them, move around, and disappear somewhere on the way to the chest. I'd come back a 60 seconds later and they'd get past whatever constipation they had.

Hmm while I'm at it, is there anything within Hexxit that would help me feed in lava? I was just going to have a large reservoir and top it off with lava outside a lava sea in the Nether. I have a dimensional door that takes me there, but it's still tedious.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How can I automate faucets with Tinkerer's Construct without other crazy industrial mods? I'm trying to make a bunch of glass blocks in Hexxit, so the resources available to me for automation are pretty much vanilla stuff. Note I haven't really played with redstone circuits before, although I understand the terminology with flip-flops and the like. I pretty much just want the faucets to be pouring as much as possible, since this is a single-purpose setup. I finally figured out the hoppers--I think. I'd see the stuff disappear into them, move around, and disappear somewhere on the way to the chest. I'd come back a 60 seconds later and they'd get past whatever constipation they had.

Hmm while I'm at it, is there anything within Hexxit that would help me feed in lava? I was just going to have a large reservoir and top it off with lava outside a lava sea in the Nether. I have a dimensional door that takes me there, but it's still tedious.

Put a redstone clock ontop of the faucet and it will pulse it for you.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUw15TLn_cY

The first minute and a half is mDiyo (the guy who makes Tinker's) showing how to build a vanilla automated smeltery.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Growthcraft for 1.6.4 is out
It adds a new thing, you'll never expect it BEEKEEPING. Yes, MORE BEEEES. Make their honey into mead.

kerpow
Jan 13, 2006

This should work right? I have no idea what I'm doing.

e: no more table breaking

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

kerpow posted:

e: no more table breaking

Was the middle node the one that started activated? If so, it won't work as it can only form a linear path with no branching. If the path starts at the top-left node I think it should work.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Edminster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUw15TLn_cY

The first minute and a half is mDiyo (the guy who makes Tinker's) showing how to build a vanilla automated smeltery.

Thanks. It looks like I was activating things correctly, but I need a pulse extender to do blocks. His tutorial does ingots, which I guess pour fine in the limited time that the signal is sustained by the single extender he has. So I guess now I have to get into clever programmable extenders and stuff.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Rita Repulsa posted:

Growthcraft for 1.6.4 is out
It adds a new thing, you'll never expect it BEEKEEPING. Yes, MORE BEEEES. Make their honey into mead.

I guess I'm duty-bound to check this out now.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Walliard posted:

I guess I'm duty-bound to check this out now.

It's done really well and is easy to use. Totally worth it.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Thanks. It looks like I was activating things correctly, but I need a pulse extender to do blocks. His tutorial does ingots, which I guess pour fine in the limited time that the signal is sustained by the single extender he has. So I guess now I have to get into clever programmable extenders and stuff.

Actually, I asked. A single pulse also works for blocks of metal in the basins. (I also tested it, and it does work just fine.)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For Thermal Expansion what do the different colors mean for the configuration in the energy cells? I'm having weird energy fluctuations where one side of my energy grid just stops until I screw around with it and then it goes for a while and then stops again even though my energy cubes are full. Trying to figure out why.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Blue is input, Orange is output, Yellow is none.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Wait, does that mean we can finally assemble a battery bank directly between cells, without having to use cables between them?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

Wait, does that mean we can finally assemble a battery bank directly between cells, without having to use cables between them?

Yes. Energy cells will pass energy along as long as they are configured right. Basically you want them in a line, outputs to inputs. Bear in mind it can only receive or send from any given side.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Is there a way to have keepInventory true and mobGriefing false whenever a new world is made?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
Occasionally I travel the internet and seek out life in other worlds.

Whilst doing so, I ran into this tweet:

https://twitter.com/ScarecrowKrone/status/423156502233247744

I can't speak to Factorization, but the new MFR has been solid as a rock for us in NST. Is there some super-late version of Forge that screws MFR up?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mechaet posted:

Occasionally I travel the internet and seek out life in other worlds.

Whilst doing so, I ran into this tweet:

https://twitter.com/ScarecrowKrone/status/423156502233247744

I can't speak to Factorization, but the new MFR has been solid as a rock for us in NST. Is there some super-late version of Forge that screws MFR up?

Did anyone ever use Factorization for anything but Barrels?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

mechaet posted:

It's probably some other mod using an outdated version of the MFR API. Artifice had that problem for a few versions.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rutibex posted:

Did anyone ever use Factorization for anything but Barrels?
Factorization has done some cool stuff recently. Of course, because it's factorization, none of it is documented. You can generate steam at a comparable rate to full size hp railcraft boilers by consuming 4 bread per minute with 4x caliometric burners. Cake lasts longer and produces steam at the same rate. Yes, using food to generate steam. The same steam that can power MFR's steam generator or TE's dynamo or any other steam accepting device. Even gregtech's steam turbine works with it. The router is also a pretty cool way to transfer items between stacked furnaces or machines. It shuffles between inventories without any pipes needed.

It's also one of the only ways to double tinker's construct's ardite and cobalt ores. And overall, it's kind of cool how its ore multiplying process works. It's like tripling or slightly better than tripling? But it takes a somewhat complicated setup and due to the time it takes per ore it takes some planning or only using specific ores. It's still neat. Factorization is okay unless there's some big dark secret I don't know about it.

The solar equivalent, mirrors that hit a boiler and generate steam, is also not so bad but caliometric blows it away in cost efficiency. It just takes a bit more logistics to get it going. The mirrors take more materials.

Factorization and MFR are both rock solid as far as I know. Factorization is even going to be removing the wraith igniter soon. Which, while fun when you are glassing deserts or burning down forests, can also be a tps killer and griefing tool.

edit: MFR definitely had api issues with some mods earlier in 1.6.x.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 20, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Serifina posted:

Actually, I asked. A single pulse also works for blocks of metal in the basins. (I also tested it, and it does work just fine.)
...Was that you that posted in the YouTube thread? I can't get that to work with basins. I got an extender working and can clearly see activated red going to the faucet when it's active. When this starts, the faucet does indeed pour, but it stops well short of filling a basin, even though the signal is still being asserted. :(

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I like Factorization. It's a little obscure about what can be done with it, but its steam generation (solar, food), ore processing, barrels (though JABBA and MFR are better for this), and pocket crafting table are all really effective and interesting. It's a mod that's not afraid to do its own thing in the face of other mods that would seem to make it obsolete, and I think that's pretty cool.

Also yeah whoever tweeted that is using a dumb version of forge, because I've never had either FZ or MFR ever crash on my server.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Khorne posted:

It's also one of the only ways to double tinker's construct's ardite and cobalt ores.
Alongside Tinker's Construct itself.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

...Was that you that posted in the YouTube thread? I can't get that to work with basins. I got an extender working and can clearly see activated red going to the faucet when it's active. When this starts, the faucet does indeed pour, but it stops well short of filling a basin, even though the signal is still being asserted. :(

Indeed that was me. Are you duplicating his setup or using something like the Extra Utilities clock?

Disappointing Dollhouse
Dec 11, 2004
gorkagorkagorka

taiyoko posted:

So a friend of mine asked me about creating a Pixelmon-centric modpack, but was concerned about the lack of access to vanilla mobs (and more specifically, their drops).

If your friend can't live without NEI, here is a version of Pixelmon with tweaked class files. It works with NEI and a lot of other mods that it used to crash with. Some issues remain - tinker's construct inventory tabs only appear when you press 'o' is a good example. It also doesn't pay attention to the Forge biome dictionary, so pokemon won't spawn in any mod-added biome. You can also enable regular monster spawns in the .cfg, so don't worry about losing access to regular drops.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

kerpow posted:

Like the other guy said, the path is one-way and can't split. Other things of note for this particular theory: you have the symbols right next to eachother, they don't need to be. The beam can cross 1 empty space. You definitely have enough symbols. Just have the beam go one way then loop around to get to the other dot. Like a sortof J shape. You will probably have to put some inactive symbols in the way to make sure the beam doesn't cut any corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Serifina posted:

Indeed that was me. Are you duplicating his setup or using something like the Extra Utilities clock?

I wasn't using anything special, but I suppose I wasn't using his identical setup either. So that was you. The only thing I can really think to try is get into creative mode and slap it out as exact what he's doing as possible.

• Locked thread