Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

Some more footage from the upcoming season got posted in a little featurette. A bit of Tyrion's trial and the raid on the Wall with some other miscellaneous stuff mixed in.

http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?autoplay=true&vid=1362499

Seeing Brienne and Jaime sort of together in full armor almost makes me think like they'll have Brienne fill in for Ilyn as cripple-Jaime's sparring partner while Tyrion is imprisoned/awaiting trial. Maybe use it as a vehicle to squeeze in some exposition about how he feels about Joffrey technically having been his son and his own role in Tyrion's marriage. That way it might feel more natural for him to send her off with Oathkeeper after privygate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

NihilCredo posted:

You know how we occasionally joked that all the parents naming their daughters Dany or Arya would eventually be embarrassed by their namesakes becoming Fantasy Hitler and Fantasy Jack the Ripper?

Yeah, well, it could be worse. Some poor girl was apparently baptised Cersei :ughh:

fake edit: also ctrl-F "beijing" on that page for a bonus round

To be fair, the name has history from before ASOIAF. Though...not exactly good associations there, either.

Elias_Maluco posted:

And at least the shows gives her a reason to go into that goddam house. It never made much sense in the books.

In the books she went there because she'd exhausted all other potential sources of support.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

gently caress me, just finished adwd. I feel free...

Right, not sure if this is the place to hare my thoughts, if not gently caress you.

I don't fully get the Stannis love but he does seem to be an ok dude and is alive, that letter was bullshit.

I've heard a theory that the gold mines of House Lannister are all done but nothing in the book points to this.

I think that once her trial is done Cersi will no longer be a POV character.

Also where are the pointers to Aeron being a blackfyre?

Well that me done for now apart from I liked Dany's and Tyrion's chapters, gently caress the haters.

(sorry for all the swearing)

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

notaspy posted:

Also where are the pointers to Aeron being a blackfyre?

Here's a link to reddit (sorry) that hits all the high points that Aegon is a Blackfyre imposter. It's really thorough and quite convincing. Also, there might be spoilers if you haven't read the Dunk and Egg stories.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Short version: the main pieces that aren't symbolism are the Golden Company's support ("a dragon is still a dragon," bullshit), care taken to note that the Blackfyres are extinct in the male line (the theory goes on that Illyrio's wife was a Blackfyre descendant and "Aegon" is their son - Illyrio certainly seems very personally invested in him), and the holes in the substitute baby story.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

colonel_korn posted:

Some more footage from the upcoming season got posted in a little featurette. A bit of Tyrion's trial and the raid on the Wall with some other miscellaneous stuff mixed in.

http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?autoplay=true&vid=1362499

I see Stannis and Davos treating with Mark Gatiss. Not quite sure where they are but that's hopefully a scene to look foward to.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

In It For The Tank posted:

I see Stannis and Davos treating with Mark Gatiss. Not quite sure where they are but that's hopefully a scene to look foward to.

I wonder if Davos and Stannis will take us to Braavos before Arya ever arrives. The room they are in is unlike any we've seen yet plus there is a new sigil on the wall which I'm guessing represents the Iron Bank. Plus it would appear that they are visiting Gatiss rather than vice versa based off of how they are positioned with one another.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Braavos is pretty close to dragonstone too right? I guess it does kinda make sense :O

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The only problem with a side trip to Braavos is it takes the wind out of the sails of the climax of Season 3. "We've gotta fight the forces of darkness, nothing is more important! Except money. gently caress." They're probably gonna justify it by making Stannis poorer and weaker than he was in the books at the time, so that he has a need to seek out the aid of the Iron Bank before going to battle, but it's still more crap being piled on Stannis' defining moment in the series. I guess it was inevitable after the showrunners accelerated Team Dragonstone's story without considering that it would leave them with a season of nothing to do until the Battle at the Wall.

whalestory posted:

Braavos is pretty close to dragonstone too right? I guess it does kinda make sense :O

It's about ~650 miles away, but they have to sail past it to go North anyway so it's not such a stretch. The show has made much more egregious detours before.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I forget how much I ignore character descriptions while reading this series:

I do the same thing with Stephen King's character descriptions- once they get too goofy I just replace whatever crap he's describing with something that I decide is more realistic and sensible.

None of the characters ever had blue/purple/orange beards or hair when I read the books.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Perestroika posted:

Seeing Brienne and Jaime sort of together in full armor almost makes me think like they'll have Brienne fill in for Ilyn as cripple-Jaime's sparring partner while Tyrion is imprisoned/awaiting trial. Maybe use it as a vehicle to squeeze in some exposition about how he feels about Joffrey technically having been his son and his own role in Tyrion's marriage. That way it might feel more natural for him to send her off with Oathkeeper after privygate.

I hope you're correct. Both book and show Brienne and Jaime have great chemistry, and the more scenes they have together, the better.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I forget how much I ignore character descriptions while reading this series:

I do the same thing with Stephen King's character descriptions- once they get too goofy I just replace whatever crap he's describing with something that I decide is more realistic and sensible.

None of the characters ever had blue/purple/orange beards or hair when I read the books.

Yeah, same. I always forget stuff like Jorah missing half an ear.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Perestroika posted:

Almost think? There is literally no other option unless they remove the storyline completely.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
edit: nevermind.

In the shot of the throne room with Tywin sitting on the throne, who's the guy at the far back, on Tywin's left (our right) side? There's Mace and Margaery and Loras, but who could be the guy next to him?

pigdog fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 20, 2014

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I think that's just an extra. I don't think Margaery and Loras are part of the dais, they're just sitting nearby in the audience along with the rest of the nobility. I guess it might be the guy playing Lord Blackmont, who is the only other noble character in King's Landing who is confirmed to appear, but it doesn't look much like him at all.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

For all the complaints the show gets (even by me) of cutting stuff out, they still manage to pack in so much stuff as well. Rewatching Blackwater and it never dawned on me how they set up Cersei's frustration drinking/eating throughout the episode.

I doubt Lena Headey actually puts on weight later on but they'll still be able to connect it with the drinking.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

pigdog posted:

edit: nevermind.

In the shot of the throne room with Tywin sitting on the throne, who's the guy at the far back, on Tywin's left (our right) side? There's Mace and Margaery and Loras, but who could be the guy next to him?

Oh whoops read this wrong.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Is there a repost of that video on youtube or anything? It doesn't work for me here in Australia :(

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I've been thinking, I really wish the show creators used the character of Vargo Hoat. I find him extremely entertaining and would have loved to see a fat and muscular man gracefully gracefully dance around opponents. If only there were more (any?) English-speaking Sumo wrestlers with passable acting abilities.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

MustelaFuro posted:

I've been thinking, I really wish the show creators used the character of Vargo Hoat. I find him extremely entertaining and would have loved to see a fat and muscular man gracefully gracefully dance around opponents. If only there were more (any?) English-speaking Sumo wrestlers with passable acting abilities.

You're probably thinking of Strong Belwas.

It's ok though we're all somewhat upset that Belwas got cut, at first we thought it was a ruse cause he always lets them cut him once but now it looks like he might have eaten too many honeyed locusts. RIP.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You're probably thinking of Strong Belwas.

It's ok though we're all somewhat upset that Belwas got cut, at first we thought it was a ruse cause he always lets them cut him once but now it looks like he might have eaten too many honeyed locusts. RIP.

Now I wonder if they'll even put in the locusts scene.

Like...with no giant eunuch, who could possibly have the constitution to survive eating a whole mess of poisoned locusts?

But it's sort of important because it builds up intrigue and suspense about possible traitors in Dany's "entourage."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrBouvenstein posted:

Now I wonder if they'll even put in the locusts scene.

Like...with no giant eunuch, who could possibly have the constitution to survive eating a whole mess of poisoned locusts?

But it's sort of important because it builds up intrigue and suspense about possible traitors in Dany's "entourage."

Maybe a nameless extra?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They don't even have to survive the locusts. It can just be some guy who eats them and dies.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

webmeister posted:

Is there a repost of that video on youtube or anything? It doesn't work for me here in Australia :(

Yes.

Regy Rusty posted:

They don't even have to survive the locusts. It can just be some guy who eats them and dies.

RIP Show Barristan.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm still holding out hope he pops up in the next season or two as a slave pit fighter in Mereen. He'll impress Dany with his defecating on the defeated abilities. :unsmith:

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

In It For The Tank posted:

RIP Show Barristan.

But who would lead the coup against Hizhdar?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Daario. Everything Daario.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

HBO's hit series Game of Daario proceeds into its eleventh season.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Ballz posted:

I'm still holding out hope he pops up in the next season or two as a slave pit fighter in Mereen. He'll impress Dany with his defecating on the defeated abilities. :unsmith:

And this could be the origin of Dany's public pooping....That's good writing, Ballz!

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

HBO's hit series Game of Daario proceeds into its eleventh season.

Starring Neil Patrick Harris as the 8th Daario.

New theory to explain the new actor, Daario is a time lord.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Daario is Jaqen and therefore also Syrio.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
My non-reader brothers are getting antsy for Season 4 so we started a rewatch last night, right at the beginning. Had a lot of fun playing I Know What Happens To You -- "Dead, dead, tortured, dead, crippled, dead, maimed, dead, scarred, dead, dead, dead".

They also asked me three questions, all of which I were pleased at how goddamn insightful they were -- Where is Ice now, what happened to Benjen, and how did Lyanna die, exactly?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

webmeister posted:

YouTube Unblocker for Firefox
YouTube Unblocker for Chrome
YouTube Unblocker for Safari

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The SoIaF wiki suggests that Rickon is now the heir to Winterfell/ King of the North... did they say that Bran is passed over? I got the impression in the books that he knew he was on a one way trip to the far North, did he mention it?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Even before his trip he was crippled from the waist down, his inability to have children alone would probably disqualify him but the fact he can't get around without his giant would make him a laughingstock.

Besides, Davos was sent to retrieve Rickon and bring him to Stannis, so he's the only Stark poised to make a claim on the North.

e: This is assuming they're following the whole "a son comes before a daughter" rule, otherwise it should be Sansa. Given that no one (besides Littlefinger) knows where she is at the moment but Manderly and Davos know where Rickon is, so there`s that as well.

e2: VVV I meant it more like of all the Stark children, only Rickon is being sought as the heir to Winterfell in the present, but even without that there are good reasons for Bran to refuse the position, kind of like what Aemon did when he took the Black/refused the crown.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 20, 2014

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^ Yes but it would still make him the "rightful" heir and King. Of course, Rickon and any of Rickon's children would be his heirs.

Professor Shark posted:

The SoIaF wiki suggests that Rickon is now the heir to Winterfell/ King of the North... did they say that Bran is passed over? I got the impression in the books that he knew he was on a one way trip to the far North, did he mention it?
I would take that as "the only know-to-be-alive" heir by the North Loyalist since Lord Manderley is only aware of Rickon's recent trip to Skagos and is probably assuming the crippled older brother is dead.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Bran's not coming back South of the Wall you guys.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Narmi posted:

Even before his trip he was crippled from the waist down, his inability to have children alone would probably disqualify him .

His inability to have children won't disqualify him, he could still reign during his lifetime, afterwards the title will pass on to Rickon's heir. Or Sansa's if Rickon fails to produce a heir as well.

But yeah, Bran is almost certainly never coming back.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bran will return. He will use the power of his infernal magick to animate all the weirwoods into a new, more powerful body with which he will blast the lands of men and usher in a new age of eternal winter! :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Thanks, but I think you misunderstood - it was HBO.com that didn't work at all. I can access the video youtube perfectly fine.

Thanks!

• Locked thread