Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
You can thank (blame) me for the Android frog icon. I made that so long ago, I'm ashamed of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm dumb and can't figure out how to go to subforums, I can only find threads of the parent forums.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

horriblePencilist posted:

I'm dumb and can't figure out how to go to subforums, I can only find threads of the parent forums.

Click the arrow to the left of the parent forums.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Athletic Footjob posted:

Click the arrow to the left of the parent forums.

I guess my fat fingers missed the arrow first time. Thanks.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
What are the little 'A' icons on the thread tags?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Brain Curry posted:

What if tapping on a thread cancelled the refresh and opened the thread? If I'm clicking on something I probably don't care about the refresh. By the time I get back to my bookmarks or the forum, it will probably need to refresh again anyway.

That's one way to go. I'm also thinking about being more finicky about reordering during a refresh. There's nothing saying refreshing e.g. your bookmarked thread list means we need to re-sort the threads. Could just bump the unread count.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

What are the little 'A' icons on the thread tags?

Either "Ask" if you're in Ask/Tell, "Auction" if you're in SA Mart, or "a bug" if you're seeing them elsewhere.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Yep, it's ask threads. Thanks.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

is it possible to make the default home screen the bookmarks page?

awful 1.0 had that setting but I can't seem to find it on the new one.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

glassyalabolas posted:

is it possible to make the default home screen the bookmarks page?

awful 1.0 had that setting but I can't seem to find it on the new one.

It's on the list.

Are you in the habit of force quitting Awful? The other person who asked is.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

pokeyman posted:

It's on the list.

Are you in the habit of force quitting Awful? The other person who asked is.

I force quit to close Awful, among other apps, when I'm not going to use it for a while.

Thanks!!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You don't have to do that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You shouldn't do that.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Don't do that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I do plan on adding the iOS 7 background update stuff to Awful someday. When that happens, force quitting will do 100% more than it does now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Coq au Nandos posted:

Don't do that.

iOS 7 on anything below a 5 has severe memory issues. TurboScan and Scanner Pro even tell you to reset the device in order to clear out the memory if they continuously fail to capture imagery. Also, some games will stutter horrendously on those devices unless you clear out the memory.

I scoffed at people who closed apps in iOS 6, but at this stage with iOS 7.0, it's a real thing. I'm hoping they fix some of these issues in 7.1.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Ever since the update to make it look more ios7-y it runs like a turd on my ipad mini. Opening new threads or changing forums is mega slow and being able to scroll can take a while to work.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

I do plan on adding the iOS 7 background update stuff to Awful someday. When that happens, force quitting will do 100% more than it does now.

I've been meaning to start contributing to the project and I will probably start soon. I noticed that after the update, the app ignores user interaction while refreshing threads and such, which isn't a great experience. Was there a significant change between the versions that's responsible for this?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
On an iPad mini, it feels like the network request/rendering of a thread blocks the UI. I can't scroll through the thread list while a thread is loading. Thoughts?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

unpurposed posted:

I've been meaning to start contributing to the project and I will probably start soon. I noticed that after the update, the app ignores user interaction while refreshing threads and such, which isn't a great experience. Was there a significant change between the versions that's responsible for this?

Ethereal posted:

On an iPad mini, it feels like the network request/rendering of a thread blocks the UI. I can't scroll through the thread list while a thread is loading. Thoughts?

Our HTML parser changed to one that's slower than libxml2, and some common Core Data operations are slow. Both currently happen on the main thread. Off the top of my head, there's a couple obvious things that might offer significant gains:

* Add indexes on -[AwfulPost postID] and -[AwfulThread threadID] as those fetches happen constantly during scraping.
* Make the main thread's managed object context the child of a private managed object context.
* Scrape into a private managed object context that's a child of the main thread context. (Scraping happens in a -performBlock: on the managed object context, so this would also move all HTML scraping off the main thread.)
* Improve HTML parser and Selector performance.

Do a run with Instruments's Time Profiler and you'll see what I mean right quick. Hide system libraries and invert call stack, then it's clear as day what's slow.

The posts view does some stupid poo poo too. I'm fixing that up, hopefully will push that up this week.

edit: Thought of another slow part that sucks. Thread lists auto-refresh in -viewWillAppear if they haven't refreshed in awhile. This means stupidity like dismissing an Awful Browser modal causing a few seconds' freeze while your bookmarks are scraped.

And for more suckage, thread lists animate updates very awkwardly. Not sure why.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 21, 2014

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
So I just figured I'd mention this a second time, but as great as the app is, it's kind of annoying to have the thread I'm viewing refresh every time I reopen Awful after using another app or locking my phone. The refresh makes me lose my spot so I have to hunt through that page again to find it.

Is this an intentional feature that I'm missing the plus side to? I know that previous versions of the app didn't do this, or at least I never noticed that they did.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

spacetimecontinuu posted:

So I just figured I'd mention this a second time, but as great as the app is, it's kind of annoying to have the thread I'm viewing refresh every time I reopen Awful after using another app or locking my phone. The refresh makes me lose my spot so I have to hunt through that page again to find it.

Is this an intentional feature that I'm missing the plus side to? I know that previous versions of the app didn't do this, or at least I never noticed that they did.

What kind of phone are you using? That sounds like a memory issue more than something the app is deliberately doing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah iOS7 is more aggressive about dumping stuff out of memory while apps are backgrounded. They should show a greyed-out screenshot or something when this happens.

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
I'm using an iPhone 4S. The page remains animated and I can read from where I was while the app communicates with the server, but as soon as it has the new data it launches me up to the top of the page.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
When I use Awful on my ancient iPad 2 (running latest iOS though), the app seems aggressive about "marking read," even if I'm just returning from a link I visited in the in-app browser. Sometimes this will let me keep my place, but just stutter/lag as it communicates with the server and updates stuff I guess, or sometimes it dumps me at the top of whatever page I'm on, which is even more annoying. It also seems to reset themes, I thought the YOSPOS themes resetting themselves to greenpos was fixed in the latest version or whatever but I still get it all the time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

spacetimecontinuu posted:

Unintentional bug. Working on it for next version :)

POCKET CHOMP posted:

When I use Awful on my ancient iPad 2 (running latest iOS though), the app seems aggressive about "marking read," even if I'm just returning from a link I visited in the in-app browser. Sometimes this will let me keep my place, but just stutter/lag as it communicates with the server and updates stuff I guess, or sometimes it dumps me at the top of whatever page I'm on, which is even more annoying. It also seems to reset themes, I thought the YOSPOS themes resetting themselves to greenpos was fixed in the latest version or whatever but I still get it all the time.

This bug sucks, and I'm working on it for the next version.

godzilla hentai
Sep 6, 2010
Any chance you could add a checkbox to post with signatures in GBS and such?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

culdesac posted:

Any chance you could add a checkbox to post with signatures in GBS and such?

On the list!

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Unintentional bug. Working on it for next version :)

This bug sucks, and I'm working on it for the next version.

You're wonderful and I want you to know that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there a way to see the smilie list from this Awful app?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Just encountered a bug or two.

I cannot seem to cancel sending PMs without having to force quit the app. I need to either hit send or force quit.

Also, the app crashes when you try to view someone's profile. Not sure if this with anyone else.

Currently using iPad mini retina. Happens with iPhone 4 as well. Latest IOS.

Great product by the way. Been using it for a couple years and I love it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Is there a way to see the smilie list from this Awful app?

Not yet. It's on the list though.

Soulex posted:

Just encountered a bug or two.

I cannot seem to cancel sending PMs without having to force quit the app. I need to either hit send or force quit.

When this happens, how were you attempting to send a PM? By tapping a post author's username?

quote:

Also, the app crashes when you try to view someone's profile. Not sure if this with anyone else.

You're not the only one, so I imagine there's some crash logs to see. If so, it's on the list.

If any devs out there want access to Awful's Crashlytics then let me know. Would love some help there, even if it's just triage or finding a reproducible case.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Anything happening in regards to new beta testers yet, pokey? :)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Soulex posted:

When this happens, how were you attempting to send a PM? By tapping a post author's username?

I've just squashed this one.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

pokeyman posted:

Not yet. It's on the list though.

You're not the only one, so I imagine there's some crash logs to see. If so, it's on the list.

If any devs out there want access to Awful's Crashlytics then let me know. Would love some help there, even if it's just triage or finding a reproducible case.

Usually it doesn't matter how I get there but the end result is the same. cannot cancel sending a pm. It happens if I am replying or making a new one.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Question about a possible feature: Does Apple allow Safari-style scrolling in 3rd party apps? As in, I scroll down and the title bar and lower bar vanish, scroll up quickly, they reappear?

It'd be neat if the app did that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Snuffman posted:

Question about a possible feature: Does Apple allow Safari-style scrolling in 3rd party apps? As in, I scroll down and the title bar and lower bar vanish, scroll up quickly, they reappear?

I'm not sure which apis allow that, but a bunch of other apps do it already.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

101 posted:

Anything happening in regards to new beta testers yet, pokey? :)

You'll hear the call, don't worry.

Froist posted:

I've just squashed this one.

Thanks!

Snuffman posted:

Apple allows it but does not help you do it. I'ma take a whack at it this week I hope.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Okay, I have started having kind of a weird bug recently... After I post, I'll try to refresh my bookmarks list, and the list doesn't refresh. Like, it shows that I was the last person to post in a thread, but my unread counts don't update and my bookmarked threads don't reorganize themselves. I have to completely back out of the app and close it to get them to refresh again. I'm running the latest iOS on an iPhone 5.

Whining aside, I want you guys (pokeyman and developing crew) to know that I appreciate all the hard work that goes into the app!! You folks are stellar!

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Love the app, I do about 95% of my SA surfing with it, thanks for all of your hard work! This really isn't that big of a deal, but I just updated with the latest version in the app store and while using Dark Mode, it used to be black and now it's more dark gray. Is there anyway to switch it back to being black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

pseudonordic posted:

I quite like my teeny tiny system font (got my slider full left), but won't be heartbroken if we go back to controlling font-size in-app again. :)
My pre-whateverupdateIjustdid Awful let me go teenier and was cool because I have wizard eyes apparently.

• Locked thread