Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sets that include Rapture show up on the slots table six and a half times as often as ones that include The End, not factoring in the bizarre die rolls used to actually pick a set off the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Black August posted:

Is this with 1 player, or all 5? Because I recall a similar deal with the cave being a killer, and demanding a level up to something stupid like 60+

All five. I just put Auto-Battle up (playing PSP version of course) and have everyone go to town. Some tricky parts so far, but nothing too bad until the cave. Don't think I've actually faced the wall yet, which will obviously come down to levels.

Then again, I'm playing so many other games right now that there's no telling when I'll get back to it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Further FF6 Android trip report: nowhere in the game I've found that tells you what your Blitz inputs are. I've had to guess or Google them.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ilifinicus posted:

Further FF6 Android trip report: nowhere in the game I've found that tells you what your Blitz inputs are. I've had to guess or Google them.

Blitz inputs were always found on the ability screen. They're not there in this version?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

QuantaStarFire posted:

Blitz inputs were always found on the ability screen. They're not there in this version?
Nope, the screen only lists which ones, not their inputs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ilifinicus posted:

You're kidding me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Haha, how are you going to do that one blitz that was RLRLXY on the SNES? Stuff like aurabolt and pummel is easy to translate into a system where there's just a d-pad and input button, but a couple blitzes used multiple buttons.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ilifinicus posted:

Square had to "compensate" for improving Bushido.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So the inputs are new because of no face buttons, and they don't actually tell you what they are? It's like they made it worse on purpose or something.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
They're just inept. There's really no other way to say it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I can sort of guess what the inputs are based on the GBA game. Meteor Strike (Suplex) is Upper Right, Upper Left, Down, Up, while GBA version is R-shoulder, L-shoulder, Down, Up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hahahaha. God drat Square-Enix why do you hate effort.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Because idiots will buy FF6 anyway.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Resonance of Fate?

I should go back and finish that game. Vashyron was the best.

I still remember facing a giant mecha turtle recolour and having Vashyron finish it with akimbo pistols. In the victory screen, Vashyron strikes a cool pose, says a quip, exp rolls, etc...
Suddenly I notice the boss' corpse tumbling to the right like a tumbleweed. I kept watching it, amused, when suddenly it blows the gently caress up.
Vashryron still holds the pose, paying no attention to the fireworks behind him. The only thing the explosion did was make his hair flutter dramatically.

I was in such awe when this happened. I mean the game is definitely flawed, but I can't hate it because it instantly redeems itself with poo poo like that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Vashyron was an amazing character. "I think that qualifies as mad skills" and all his other quotes are burned into my mind. Just fantastic.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

crestfallen posted:

They're just inept. There's really no other way to say it.

I bet they won't splice the tiling for this game like they did for that meteor in FFV iOS!

Oh...

There are a lot of graphical artifacts in this port, such as the copy & paste seams on the Magitek armor you use in the beginning.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Goddrat, that's ugly. You'd think it requires more time and effort to make the game look that lovely than it does to just throw a SNES ROM with rudimentary touch controls up on the app store?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

FF8 Card Game question- So I arrived in dollet on disc 1 after I did the timber mission and I am trying to get the random and elemental rules abolished. I have spread open and then abolished random, but I can't get elemental to be abolished, it just abolishes open over and over again every time I reset. Is it just a extremely low chance and I should keep trying, is it a set chance and do I need to try all of this again or does talking to different NPCs possibly alter the chance?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Saw this on Neogaf, but these "Moogle Corner" bits or whatever the gently caress are hilarious. It's amazing how much effort was put into such a lazy product.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Samael posted:

FF8 Card Game question- So I arrived in dollet on disc 1 after I did the timber mission and I am trying to get the random and elemental rules abolished. I have spread open and then abolished random, but I can't get elemental to be abolished, it just abolishes open over and over again every time I reset. Is it just a extremely low chance and I should keep trying, is it a set chance and do I need to try all of this again or does talking to different NPCs possibly alter the chance?

You can just game the system pretty easily. The important question is whether or not the Queen of Cards is in Dollet right now. Either way, just go to the pub first and beat the owner there exactly once (you want to do this ASAP; don't mix rules yet though). Without Random, even with Elemental, this should be easy to do. He has Siren, but her left and bottom numbers suck and that's his only major card. Once you've done that, go back to Timber, grab their rules and then save in Dollet pub and do a hard reset.

If the Queen is in Dollet (she should be if only so as to get Kiros and thus Auto-Haste as early as possible), go to the back room of the pub and use the magazine stack that gives you 3 random items exactly twice then perform a soft reset immediately. Load the save at Dollet again and challenge someone other than the QoC once, accept their offer to play and mix rules, then immediately quit out. If you've done everything right, Elemental should be abolished on the spot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

They mean Vector the Crocodile, obviously.

:colbert:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The thing that really baffles me about this FF6 port is that the graphics on the original look fine on my 20" SDTV. Why is the holy hell did they feel the need to ""improve"" (all the quotation marks in the world wouldn't be enough) the graphics for a tiny little phone screen?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

You can just game the system pretty easily. The important question is whether or not the Queen of Cards is in Dollet right now. Either way, just go to the pub first and beat the owner there exactly once (you want to do this ASAP; don't mix rules yet though). Without Random, even with Elemental, this should be easy to do. He has Siren, but her left and bottom numbers suck and that's his only major card. Once you've done that, go back to Timber, grab their rules and then save in Dollet pub and do a hard reset.

If the Queen is in Dollet (she should be if only so as to get Kiros and thus Auto-Haste as early as possible), go to the back room of the pub and use the magazine stack that gives you 3 random items exactly twice then perform a soft reset immediately. Load the save at Dollet again and challenge someone other than the QoC once, accept their offer to play and mix rules, then immediately quit out. If you've done everything right, Elemental should be abolished on the spot.

There's a save point in dollet's pub? :stare: Also, yeah QoC is in dollet, got the minimog card back and siren card. Do you have to find the save point with move/find? I'm doing a low level run you see.

EDIT: Used the save point outside the beach and the trick worked. Holy poo poo how do people work this stuff out, thanks a lot dragonatrix!

Samael fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 19, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, equip Move-Find and go to the second floor. Even on LLG should be able to do it pretty easily, since you should have Seifer get card during the actual Dollet mission. Or from Elvoret or something, one of the two anyway.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

kirbysuperstar posted:

They mean Vector the Crocodile, obviously.

:colbert:

The only flying aquatic animal in FF6 is Doom Gaze, so obviously they mean Vector the Airship Vendor. :colbert:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cannot Find Server posted:

The thing that really baffles me about this FF6 port is that the graphics on the original look fine on my 20" SDTV. Why is the holy hell did they feel the need to ""improve"" (all the quotation marks in the world wouldn't be enough) the graphics for a tiny little phone screen?

Since it looks new, they can trick people into thinking it changes a lot. Seriously though, kinda have to wonder how well Square's doing, at least on the Japanese side. Final Fantasy 13 and its sequels is the only new thing they've done in a while, besides the Dragon Quest 3DS remakes and Bravely Default. I mean, are they more or less giving up on JRPGs that don't literally print money because of the name?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cannot Find Server posted:

Your 20" SDTV has a lovely resolution, especially compared to a phone display. There was going to have to be some sort of graphical adjustment, just... not what we got.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

neongrey posted:

Your 20" SDTV has a lovely resolution, especially compared to a phone display. There was going to have to be some sort of graphical adjustment, just... not what we got.

They didn't have to change anything. Chrono Trigger had the same graphics as the SNES version, and they released All the Bravest, a game that's a love letter to the sprite artwork of Final Fantasy VI, if not much of a game. If people are willing to pay a premium to see characters from Final Fantasy VII-XIII in VI's style, then I don't see why VI suddenly needs a makeover.

Also, if you thought they used a unique 3D model for each location...

This is not something they should have released.

Garbage.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I remember reading a FF13 post-mortem where someone talked about spending a huge chunk of development time modeling a single object that only showed up as a background element for less than a second. Maybe they were burned by effort after that.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

That loving Sned posted:

They didn't have to change anything. Chrono Trigger had the same graphics as the SNES version, and they released All the Bravest, a game that's a love letter to the sprite artwork of Final Fantasy VI, if not much of a game. If people are willing to pay a premium to see characters from Final Fantasy VII-XIII in VI's style, then I don't see why VI suddenly needs a makeover.

What stands out to me is that they re-did the character sprites with weird proportions. They all look like they either have Spondylosis or are performing Michael Jackson's anti-gravity lean.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sunning posted:

What stands out to me is that they re-did the character sprites with weird proportions. They all look like they either have Spondylosis or are performing Michael Jackson's anti-gravity lean.

'If we slouch, Toriyama will get us! If we slouch, Toriyama will get us!'

I mean look at what they did to Locke.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That game is painful to look at.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Every new screenshot is just another reason why Square desperately needs to go bankrupt and have its IPs sold off. Maybe the FF14 team can be kept together by some other company but every person whose name is found in the FF^ remake's credits should be barred from the gaming industry for life.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

This is not something they should have released.

Garbage.

Dat lava! And walls! And dat big curtain! And... yeah, I think you get the idea.

But drat do those 3D models for castles and homes clash with everything else, like those sprites clash with everything else... Who greenlighted this?!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Folt The Bolt posted:

Who greenlighted this?!

Takashi Tokita I believe.

It's pretty bad that I'm looking at RPG Maker VX and saying to myself, "I could make a better FFVI than that"

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Takashi Tokita I believe.

It's pretty bad that I'm looking at RPG Maker VX and saying to myself, "I could make a better FFVI than that"

I think the bad thing is that I'm looking at just about any RPG Maker game using the graphic resources that came with it, and they all look much better than this travesty! It's that bad.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I just noticed that Gau's sunglasses from the blind status don't even align with his eyes. In fact, they wouldn't align with anyone's eyes since they're all drawn from a different angle.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Every new screenshot is just another reason why Square desperately needs to go bankrupt

Never going to happen. XI was their best moneymaker, and XIV is better in every way. MMO fees will keep them afloat for quite some time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

That loving Sned posted:

Also, if you thought they used a unique 3D model for each location...

Wow, I had sort of been "impressed" with the little 3-D model of Figaro when I thought it meant they had made exact 3-D models of every location. But of COURSE they would just use Figaro's model for every castle. What was I thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Schwartzcough posted:

Wow, I had sort of been "impressed" with the little 3-D model of Figaro when I thought it meant they had made exact 3-D models of every location. But of COURSE they would just use Figaro's model for every castle. What was I thinking.

No guys, you got it wrong. They added a new quest in the remake; you travel back in time, fight some sand monsters, plant a tree in the middle of the desert and restore the forest in the present.