Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Crow Jane posted:

I think I might buy some cacti or succulents today. Any tips?

I'm awful with houseplants, so something that requires minimal effort seems right up my alley

DONT BUY THEM FROM IKEA AND DONT OVERWATER THEM

i bought a straight cylindrical one from ikea and it had grubs and it fuckin died in 3 months after i did all i could. rip guadalupe

if you keep cacti outside in the sun and there;s a heat wave and they're over a metre high you can water them every three days. if you keep em inside and they're little baby cacti water them like once a month and plant a succulent with the cactus so you can feel how limp the succulent is to tell you if you should water the thing

inside you probably shouldnt get cacti that grow tall and own drunk people. there are a bunch of cacti that grow in cute little thorny bulbs that only really own people if they try to get owned or are really clumsy

succulents are fucken easy as poo poo and there are so many of them. i fuckin love echevaria because they look like roses but you don't have to do poo poo for them. succulents basically grow everywhere and the beauty of them is that you can buy one and then wait until it's cool with your house then chop off a bit, let it callous over, then plant it in another pot and HOLY poo poo YOU GO A NEW PLANT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Fruity Gordo posted:

im fuckin dying. someone left the cake out in the rain is quite possibly the queerest sentence ever. we'll never have that sentence again

ooohhhhh noooooooooooo

Crow Jane posted:

I'm awful with houseplants, so something that requires minimal effort seems right up my alley

when i was a child me and my sister had a cactus each, i managed to somehow not water mine enough (it's a fuckin cactus how can you not water it enough), while my sister watered hers too much and it kind of exploded, except nobody noticed until the cactus goo on the wall behind it started to smell funny

plants are harder to keep alive than children or animals because they won't tell you when they're hungry, you have to be proactive about it, and cacti are even harder (for me) because they need looking after so rarely that you can't even build it into your daily routine

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
oh also in america inside in the wintertime i'm betting that the watering rules for cacti and succulents is NOOO/DONT BUY

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
i bought a cactus from ikea a few months ago and was really excited and posted about my new cactus lupe in auspol and now she's dead. :( she was dying and i watered and fertilised her bc i thought that was why she was dying but NO. IKEA GAVE HER GRUBS WHO ATE HER FROM THE INSIDE OUT RIP LUPE.

i blame ikea bc the other cacti who lived in pots next to her are still fine

gently caress you ikea

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
DONT WORRY VAGUEZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHS8hj4TdT8

:qq:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I was gonna grab some from the hardware/garden store, they sent me a giftcard for my birthday that I haven't used yet. They'll be indoor for now, though if they survive I might take them out on the balcony come springtime.

I hate being a plant murderer :(. I had a Wandering Jew at one apartment (his name was Schlomo) that got huge. Then I moved and he didn't like the light at my new place and died within a month, I felt awful. Ivy, ferns and spider plants have all died under my care. It's odd, because I grow my own herbs, tomatoes and hot peppers on the balcony in the summer, and they all do great.

Right now I have a couple of amaryllis going, and though I should probably stake them, they seem to be doing okay.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
When I was a kid my mom kept cacti including these jerks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalocereus_senilis. One night one of them fell over onto the floor and it was dark and I saw this lightish area on the carpet, thought it was a misplaced Barbie dress, picked it up and got a handful of spines.

TLDR: My tip is don't pick up the body of a cactus with your bare hands.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Crow Jane posted:

If you're forgetful you can buy one of those water feeder bubble things, though IMO they look kind of garish. Still, a cactus would only need a really small one and you wouldn't need to keep it filled all the time either so it may be worth it to you.

Maybe you could learn to take care of your plants better if you grew something that was more functional than decorative like a spice tray on a windowsill or something like that? Do you cook at all? Maybe getting some fresh produce or herbs out of the deal would help you to be more mindful and then you could develop the habits to take care of decorative ferns cacti .etc

E: Also there is some type of cactus that can get you crazy high but I think it takes years to cultivate enough to have a psychoactive experience. idk ymmv

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
if you get a cactus you can pretty much leave it out on a porch or whatever and ignore it and before long it will be a gigantic ball of death that you'll probably run into/trip over constantly

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
yeah one of my pals from nuevo-lf tried to grow a mescaline cactus back in the day but failed terribly

i would have tried but you can't get that poo poo here. rude

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

If you've got a sunny window you could try an orchid. They don't need much care, just some water once a month.
They drop all their flowers off every couple of months and people think they've died and throw them away. Just keep them in the window and water them occasionally and they'll grow a new stem.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
orchids are great. there's an orchid show near me every year and it's like skipping through a field of vulva it fuckin rules

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

It wouldn't be the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm

Fruity Gordo posted:

orchids are great. there's an orchid show near me every year and it's like skipping through a field of vulva it fuckin rules

Someone please change the thread title to Lady Chat: Skipping through a vulva field

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had an orchid once but my cat kept eating it. Orchids are my favourite flower.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I had an orchid a few years back that actually did okay until my cat knocked it over. I think cats and plants are natural enemies.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Crow Jane posted:

If you get some cacti, they'll do much better from neglect than lots of care. More likely to kill them by over-watering. They do prefer a sandy soil mix instead of the rich compost type that a lot of plants like. Otherwise, sun + mostly neglect = happy cacti.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

My house faces north/south, so I don't get a ton of direct sunlight indoors except at certain times of the day. Should I just accept fate and buy fake plants instead?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I'm not on campus right now but tomorrow I think I will take him to one world or tambers

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Both good, Tamber's isn't exactly romantic though, and I think they only do weekend brunch? Golden West does a good breakfast if Hampden isn't too far, and Donna's has awesome Bloody Marys

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Nah, just be extra careful you don't over-water in that case. They might not grow very quickly, but I have a north-south house in a place with little sun and have a bunch of cacti and succulents.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I bought the cat some cat grass. Did they eat it? No but they graze my roomies plants instead.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
if you have a south-facing house in the northern hemisphere you get best plant light! stick you light-needy plants right next to the windows and your sissy plants near the walls. you can put cacti anywhere unless ikea fills them up with worms. i have a bunch of cacti chilling in my room with a tiny bit of east-rising sunlight and some water when i think they need it and one of them flowered last year. i have some on the balcony thrusting up into the sky in the full north sun who i need to water every 5 days in summer to stop them wimping, and i have some succulents i don't touch and some i water evener other day. my fuckin herbs and chillies and jacaranda and poo poo get watered every day in this weather bc they are fuckin wimps

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 19, 2014

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Crow Jane posted:

Succulents >>> Cacti. gently caress needles. Plus iirc you can tell when to water them by just looking at them and seeing if they're not plump, rather than having to do it on a schedule. Cacti are harder to eyeball (two words I hate putting in the same sentence) on account of the loving needles

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Crow Jane posted:

Get aloe vera. Basically impossible to kill, just stick it somewhere sunny and water when you remember. It'll start spawning little aloe veras really quickly and you can throw those away or have more aloe vera or give them as gifts to burn-prone friends

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

You should get some Lithops, or living stones. They are awesome succulents and some of them look like rock brains and some look like weird rock testicles and some look like rock butts which are extra funny when they flower.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 19, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Jetsetlemming posted:

Succulents >>> Cacti. gently caress needles. Plus iirc you can tell when to water them by just looking at them and seeing if they're not plump, rather than having to do it on a schedule. Cacti are harder to eyeball (two words I hate putting in the same sentence) on account of the loving needles

true as gently caress. succulents look sad when they needs water, and f you cant tell theyre sad you can just play with a leaf. a firm leaf means happy slaggy :D , a flabby floppy leaf means sad, water me :( don't buy the ones who die when you touch them bc they are loser bitchy ones who make no friends

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

boom boom boom posted:

Get aloe vera. Basically impossible to kill, just stick it somewhere sunny and water when you remember. It'll start spawning little aloe veras really quickly and you can throw those away or have more aloe vera or give them as gifts to burn-prone friends

argh this also aloe vera rules if you sunbathe bc you dont need to buy that lovely gel otherwise, you just get someone to behead your [plant and rub plant jelly on you. and you can make tea out of it and syrup and if you make syrup you can miX it with water from the soda stream and poo poo BITCH YOU HAVE FIZZY ALOE poo poo

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Crow Jane posted:

I was gonna grab some from the hardware/garden store, they sent me a giftcard for my birthday that I haven't used yet. They'll be indoor for now, though if they survive I might take them out on the balcony come springtime.

I hate being a plant murderer :(. I had a Wandering Jew at one apartment (his name was Schlomo) that got huge. Then I moved and he didn't like the light at my new place and died within a month, I felt awful. Ivy, ferns and spider plants have all died under my care. It's odd, because I grow my own herbs, tomatoes and hot peppers on the balcony in the summer, and they all do great.

Right now I have a couple of amaryllis going, and though I should probably stake them, they seem to be doing okay.

ok i just reread this post and drat. you killed some wandering jew. that makes me feel AWESOME. i loving HATE wandering jew, it is evil as poo poo. it is fuckin hilarious to me that you tried to grow it though bc wandering jew is a loving horrible weed that destroys gardens

all those things you say you killed are weeds which feed on other plants, so that's why they died. they don't eat fertiliser and dirt, they eat other plants and suck minerals from rocks, that's where they get their nutrition. so you can't really grow a weed in a pot if it doesn't have another plant or some sandstone to chew on

so, basically, you didn't kill that poo poo, that poo poo deserved to die

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
I've been looking into getting a little potted clementine tree to keep in my home in spite of the fact that I know nothing about plant care. (And have not much interest in caring for plants unless they give me something in return.) The internet says they're hard to kill, so I guess I'll test that claim!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

for a moment i was very confused "wtf what's with the jew hate" then i realized you were talking about a plant
wow, awkward name for a pest plant

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Fruity Gordo posted:

ok i just reread this post and drat. you killed some wandering jew. that makes me feel AWESOME. i loving HATE wandering jew, it is evil as poo poo. it is fuckin hilarious to me that you tried to grow it though bc wandering jew is a loving horrible weed that destroys gardens

all those things you say you killed are weeds which feed on other plants, so that's why they died. they don't eat fertiliser and dirt, they eat other plants and suck minerals from rocks, that's where they get their nutrition. so you can't really grow a weed in a pot if it doesn't have another plant or some sandstone to chew on

Wha?

Spider plants aren't parasitic plants, they're just regular plants that reproduce in a really cool way. And "ivy" can mean several different things in the houseplant world (for instance if she managed to kill a Devil's Ivy, then WOW).

Weeds in general don't "eat" other plants or rocks necessarily, that's just the term for whatever plant you don't want growing in your garden/yard because it isn't the one you prefer. Some are a genuine pain in the rear end, some are cool but just growing in the wrong place.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Not all weeds are parasitic

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Kudzu can die though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I got a jade plant, two little succulents and an African violet. Might go back for some aloe, the only one they had wasn't looking so great. And those lithops are awesome, I have to find a place that sells them.

Also moved my Provence lavender in from outside, as it's still somehow alive despite months of cold. Figured it deserved a reward.

The hardware store I went to has a cooler full of old-fashioned soda, they had Faygo in glass bottles.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
oooh i didn't know any of that stuff. to me anything except mint (loving MINT GET OUTTA MY PARSLEY) but even mint sometimes was a weed to be murdered with extreme cutting and ripping prejudice, esp ivy and wandering jew and that stupid climbing plant with the heart-shaped leaves.

to me they are dickheads rivalling my old dog bc they would ruin our veggie garden more often than she would dig our poo poo up

it legit boggles my mind that they can grow without ruining things. now i wanna grow them to TAME THE gently caress OUT OF NATURE

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fruity Gordo posted:

I hate the wandering jew. It is a parasite that feeds off others and destroys their homelands. The wandering jew is evil, literally a parasite on the productive species.

You tell me it is a crime to kill the wandering jew, I tell you it is a crime to allow even one to live.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
AFRICAN VIOLETS loving RULE. YOU SIT THEM ON A WINDOWSILL AND THEY LOOK CHEERILY AT YOU AND THEN WHEN THY LOOK SLIGHTLY LESS CHEERY YOU GIVE THEM LIKE A TBS OF WATER AND THEYRE LIKE HELLLOOOOOOOOOOO

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

boom boom boom posted:

I hate the wandering jew. It is a parasite that feeds off others and destroys their homelands. The wandering jew is evil, literally a parasite on the productive species.

You tell me it is a crime to kill the wandering jew, I tell you it is a crime to allow even one to live.

legit i still havent come up with a solution

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

I got a jade plant, two little succulents and an African violet. Might go back for some aloe, the only one they had wasn't looking so great. And those lithops are awesome, I have to find a place that sells them.

Also moved my Provence lavender in from outside, as it's still somehow alive despite months of cold. Figured it deserved a reward.

The hardware store I went to has a cooler full of old-fashioned soda, they had Faygo in glass bottles.

I haven't dug up my vegetable garden because :effort:, but my kale is still there (I'm leaving it because the way I harvested the kale made adorable poof balls on the top of the stalk. There's also one basil still out there just holding the gently caress on. I'm not even moving it inside because I would have to dig it up and put it in a pot and also it is a miracle of nature and I'm not loving with that. It's like having frozen basil, except I don't have to take up freezer space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Kale likes the cold

Enfys fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 20, 2014

• Locked thread