Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
TEMS uses adjustable hydraulic shocks, not air; It was an option on the SC430 but not the LS430 which got the air struts :eng101:. I'm not even sure Toyota has an acronym for their air suspension.

edit: have a lovely car to go with this lovely post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Devyl posted:

They're probably headed to mud-fest.

I used to live in Okeechobee, Florida. It's your run-of-the-mill small town. The economy of the town is driven by it's close location to Lake Okeechobee; one of the largest fresh-water lakes in the United States. Professional fishing tournaments are held frequently in the lake. However, once a year during the summer a near-by ranch owner opens a portion of his field to be turned into quite possibly the largest privately-owned mud-pit in the state. I lived there when the first Mud-Fest began, and it was a huge deal. On one side, it brought in a good chunk of change to the local businesses. However, the dark side of this was having to deal with hundreds of rednecks in lifted Jeeps/Fords/Chevys who may or may not be on something as well as possibly drunk; driving those death-mobiles everywhere for three days. Another problem is the traffic it creates. The town is split into even quarters by the intersection of 70 & 441, and to get anywhere in the town, you'll end up on one of those roads for a minute. Suddenly a normal small town is having traffic jams of diesels and lifted bro trucks all coal rolling or whatever the gently caress it's called.

Here's a :nws: (half-naked women and typical bro douchebaggery) you-tube video of your typical mud-fest shennanigans: http://youtu.be/Cg-38Aip-Eg

Are hovercraft allowed? There were some pretty impressive feats of redneck engineering on display in that video, you'd think one of them would have the chops to fabricate one (though I guess you can just buy one?)

edit: jesus I have never seen so many confederate flags in a single place (thats not true I've been to a couple of ole miss football games)

If someone built a hovercraft they could fly this and just float around looking smug as gently caress

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 19, 2014

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Devyl posted:

Here's a :nws: (half-naked women and typical bro douchebaggery) you-tube video of your typical mud-fest shennanigans: http://youtu.be/Cg-38Aip-Eg

What I gather from this video is that 90% of mudfest is slowly driving around on what look like truck frames with pontoon boat platforms. Some of them look pretty well-engineered, but some look like backyard hack jobs. Then you just put as many people on it as you can and drive around the mud. So, it's basically a party cove on land.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

DropShadow posted:

What I gather from this video is that 90% of mudfest is slowly driving around on what look like truck frames with pontoon boat platforms. Some of them look pretty well-engineered, but some look like backyard hack jobs. Then you just put as many people on it as you can and drive around the mud. So, it's basically a party cove on land.

Used for deer huntin'.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

DropShadow posted:

Those are the mud enthusiast 'status symbol' equivalent to the Range Rover. There are various models made by a handful of fabricators and the more you option them out, the more mindbogglingly expensive they become. Here is another video, this time showing more of the trucks that were driven everywhere: (once again, :nws: ) http://youtu.be/iWFy4fQEC8E

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, I grew up in Idaho, and we went "mudding" all of the time in a similar environment, but it was just a bunch of (sometimes lifted, sometimes not) Rams, Dakotas, F150/250/350s (of varying decade or century), and sometimes beer. These videos are blowing my mind at how consecutively expensive and dull they must be.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like an amazingly boring and tedious pass-time. Also an extremely expensive and labour-intensive method of (maybe) seeing some titties.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
You'd have them narrated by William Shatner?

You. Heartless. Bastard!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kenny Rogers posted:

You'd have them narrated by William Shatner?

You. Heartless. Bastard!

That movie was actually pretty good :colbert:

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

anonumos posted:

Used for deer huntin'.

Deer love the mud, they hang out all the time in thigh deep mud just lookin for that sweet mud grass.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slavvy posted:

That looks like an amazingly boring and tedious pass-time. Also an extremely expensive and labour-intensive method of (maybe) seeing some titties.

The guys in the lifted pickups at least look like their having fun some of the time, but the pontoon boat things look boring as poo poo. Its just as easy to throw on some terrible music and get drunk in a field.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Devyl posted:

There are various models made by a handful of fabricators and the more you option them out, the more mindbogglingly expensive they become.

Got links to these builders? I'm intrigued. Plus, I just wasted 30 minutes watching these videos so I might as well learn something.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Slavvy posted:

You just described the entirety of the human condition.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DropShadow posted:

Got links to these builders? I'm intrigued. Plus, I just wasted 30 minutes watching these videos so I might as well learn something.

You really should think twice about continuing this line of thought. You know all those super scary hackjob death machine 4x4s I post lengthy diatribes about in this thread and the horrible failures thread?

Yeah, these are built by the same people. Some of them have learned from their mistakes, some haven't.

I don't think I've made my dislike for mudders all that unclear int he past, but yeah, they're pretty much the shallow end of the gene pool when it comes to offroad. You can safely assume that the suspension "design" will be somewhere between horrifying and abysmal and the component selection will be based entirely on what automobile was on blocks in front of the trailer park the day the "fabricator" decided to start work.

1. dead car/truck/whatever in the front yard
2. blazer frame! (some will substitute others, and/or terrifying amounts of lift, terrible suspension design, 2.5 or 5 ton rockwell axles out of an old military truck, and assorted extremely large tires.)
3. ???
4. profit? (this one's rather dubious.)

e: have a video! Note that a couple clutch dumps basically resulted in the whole suspension under that hackjob imploding. These are what is considered awesome high quality high dollar builds in the backyard retard mud truck community. Slamming on the throttle while looking out the window and sawing the wheel back and forth to go absolutely nowhere in a muddy pond is apparently exciting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHlS7OPkTkU

Oh, they're gud wit da englishes, too, "showers down on that skinny" apparently means "lots of throttle." I don't know how you shower down on it. "the path of his roost" is also valid English in those circles.

tl;dr: retards playing in the mud.

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 19, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I dunno that all looks like a lot of fun to me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Coupe-1-9-8v-Turbo-Diesel-/181066780373?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a286bced5

The gently caress?

Fiat Coupe Turbo...

...Diesel.

:psyduck: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I think that MudFest + Gathering of the Juggalos + an East Coast Burning Man being held same time/same place would be pretty entertaining, after the worst offenders from each group clashed and removed themselves from the gene pool (bullets or drugs, or both) the first year.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I'd drive it as long as the install is decent and the handling isn't too hosed from the weight.

Used to really fancy one if these as a daily....

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Does that have two air filters...?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm voting the modding party got lazy and left the original intake in place despite the fact that it's non-functional.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Das Volk posted:

Does that have two air filters...?
Where do you see two?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The left of the picture has the airbox, routed to the turbo, and the right of the picture shows the piping from the intercooler to the intake.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's got an intercooler.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Devyl posted:

They're probably headed to mud-fest.

I used to live in Okeechobee, Florida. It's your run-of-the-mill small town. The economy of the town is driven by it's close location to Lake Okeechobee; one of the largest fresh-water lakes in the United States. Professional fishing tournaments are held frequently in the lake. However, once a year during the summer a near-by ranch owner opens a portion of his field to be turned into quite possibly the largest privately-owned mud-pit in the state. I lived there when the first Mud-Fest began, and it was a huge deal. On one side, it brought in a good chunk of change to the local businesses. However, the dark side of this was having to deal with hundreds of rednecks in lifted Jeeps/Fords/Chevys who may or may not be on something as well as possibly drunk; driving those death-mobiles everywhere for three days. Another problem is the traffic it creates. The town is split into even quarters by the intersection of 70 & 441, and to get anywhere in the town, you'll end up on one of those roads for a minute. Suddenly a normal small town is having traffic jams of diesels and lifted bro trucks all coal rolling or whatever the gently caress it's called.

Please tell me they do not allow driving thoes god awful lifted pontoon boat thingys on the roads.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Preoptopus posted:

Please tell me they do not allow driving thoes god awful lifted pontoon boat thingys on the roads.

But he just said they do

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Devyl posted:

Those are the mud enthusiast 'status symbol' equivalent to the Range Rover. There are various models made by a handful of fabricators and the more you option them out, the more mindbogglingly expensive they become. Here is another video, this time showing more of the trucks that were driven everywhere: (once again, :nws: ) http://youtu.be/iWFy4fQEC8E

I find the proliferation of rap music at this event full of confederate flags hilarious.

Also, women in swimsuits aren't "half nude" unless you yourself work in a business owned by a bible-thumpin' confederate flag-wavin' patriot like the gentlemen of that rally.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I love the color, but everything else....what the gently caress.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 19, 2014

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Takes a lot of effort to make a Q7 uglier than the factory, but this guy managed it. And then crashed it, or is the bodykit supposed to meet the rest of the car at a jaunty angle?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

And then crashed it, or is the bodykit supposed to meet the rest of the car at a jaunty angle?

I guess it's a case of just because it looks like a snow plow doesn't mean it'll effectively function as one

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ironblock posted:

I was looking up C2s on eBay, when this one appeared. Things went from bad... to worse.

:wtc: Why would you intentionally reupholster your Corvette's interior in barf colored velour?

Good lord...there's nothing they didn't gently caress with/ruin.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

dissss posted:

I guess it's a case of just because it looks like a snow plow doesn't mean it'll effectively function as one

Unless he moved between photo 1 and photo 2 there's more to it than that, because it looks like his front wheels are angled in different directions. Even if that's not the case, the dent in the back bumper suggests an accident.

Also, what is up with so many people putting transformers logos on their cars? I find it even more retarded than truck nuts frankly. At least the truck nuts could be ironic.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I just snapped these pictures on my way home. I wish that bridge height sign would have read 13'

Notice that the tower has a crank on it, so that it can double it's height, I guess at rest stops.

Citycop fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 20, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This makes me think they put a huge magnet inside the car and activated it next to a repco type store.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

I'm going to guess either that this was a salvage or someone is very underwater on a loan.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
It's actually a clever anti-theft device.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

I bet if you sent a picture of this car to BMW they would unmodify it under the cover of darkness one night

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Citycop posted:

I just snapped these pictures on my way home. I wish that bridge height sign would have read 13'

Notice that the tower has a crank on it, so that it can double it's height, I guess at rest stops.

HAM operators are weird but when the Zombie Apocalypse happens it will be good to know one.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I thought Honda ads couldn't get any worse than the Michael Bolton ones, but I was wrong

(from Spotify)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citycop posted:

He's out for the January VHF QSO Party. Probably not its daily driver config, I bet he is coming down from a hilltop or something. Fun stuff!