Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

KilGrey posted:

Yeah, they've said they are all human. That's part of the reason Reynard is so disliked, side from being a bastard he's half wessen.

You remember which episode? Not arguing, just curious where it is cuz I totally missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

KilGrey posted:

It's more than just being racist though, Blutbad usually make meals out of Fuchbau. They have reason to be very wary.

I think you are mistaking fuchsbau and Bauerschwein here. While blutbaden and fuchsbau ain't close, I don't think it has ever been stated that blutbaden eats fuchbau. It's more that they are both canine wesen but different enough, to not like each other.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

hangedman1984 posted:

You remember which episode? Not arguing, just curious where it is cuz I totally missed that.

It might actually have been mentioned in an interview with the writers, as well as Grimms not actually woging when the wesen see them. But Juliette's reaction to her friend's abusive husband really should have made him think she was the Grimm, if that's the case. If I make up my own reason for how he knew she wasn't a grimm, I'd say it's because none of her fight moves are especially structured. She didn't whip out any kung-fu like we thought she was going to.

I know Renard's mom was hexenbiest and his father was human and I'm pretty sure that part was mentioned in the show somewhere. Maybe when he was explaining what he was to Nick? But, then again, Adeline's baby tested positive for royal blood, so I don't know if they are going to stick to the whole "all royals are human" thing.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Bored posted:

It might actually have been mentioned in an interview with the writers, as well as Grimms not actually woging when the wesen see them. But Juliette's reaction to her friend's abusive husband really should have made him think she was the Grimm, if that's the case. If I make up my own reason for how he knew she wasn't a grimm, I'd say it's because none of her fight moves are especially structured. She didn't whip out any kung-fu like we thought she was going to.

According to a person on another board, Juliette used several fairly advanced blocks and defensive moves from kickboxing.

As for meeting Rosalee's family, I loved that they knew Monroe was a Blutbad and at his request served him veggie food, but the older sister still flaunted her steak at him.

I mean, Monroe doesn't go Vegan out of a desire for a super-healthy lifestyle or because it's trendy, he does it so he won't be as tempted to run people down and eat them. So yeah, big sis, go taunt the dude who could rip your arm off and beat you to death with it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Honestly, I thought her sister was kind of a bitch, regardless of her feelings for Rosalee. My dad agreed.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

hangedman1984 posted:

I don't remember the episode number but I believe it was the episode where they find out what Renard is and how there is a different word for male hexenbiest than female. It was when a Nick was staying with Monroe and was a scene with Nick, Hank, Monroe and Rosalee sitting around the dinner table. I also recall Renards brother bringing it up to him once. That their father brought shame to the family by knocking up a wessen. Sorry I can't be more specific. :shobon:

Bored posted:

But Juliette's reaction to her friend's abusive husband really should have made him think she was the Grimm, if that's the case. If I make up my own reason for how he knew she wasn't a grimm, I'd say it's because none of her fight moves are especially structured. She didn't whip out any kung-fu like we thought she was going to.

To me, it was because he had to voge on purpose for her to see him. I don't think her not reacting is enough to make him think she's a Grimm because there are plenty of humans who know about wessen. Enough that they have a word for it. For all he knew, his wife had shown/told her before since they'd been friends for ten years or more. That and her lack of strength when fighting.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

PureRok posted:

Honestly, I thought her sister was kind of a bitch, regardless of her feelings for Rosalee. My dad agreed.

Yes she was. The steak flaunting was really mean.

KilGrey posted:

To me, it was because he had to voge on purpose for her to see him. I don't think her not reacting is enough to make him think she's a Grimm because there are plenty of humans who know about wessen. Enough that they have a word for it. For all he knew, his wife had shown/told her before since they'd been friends for ten years or more. That and her lack of strength when fighting.

I thought that might have been it too, but he was all woged out, I thought, when Nick saw him too.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Bored posted:

Yes she was. The steak flaunting was really mean.

And also really stupid. So you really want to taunt your sister's "recovering addict" boyfriend when you know he might flip out and kill you and your mom?

I will say that I liked that in terms of family drama it was more August: Fuchsbau County and less Guess Who's Coming to (eat you for) Dinner.

BTW, this episode really needs some kind of sequel/follow-up in terms of the manticore. For one, I kind of want to see Nick fight the thing himself, but mostly, do we all really believe that the American prison system can contain something like that if he really wants to get out? I mean, sure, plenty of Wesen are in prison (as shown by the turtle-people episode) but come on, holding a manticore, especially since the human prison system doesn't know what it's dealing with seems a bridge too far.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 19, 2014

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

johntfs posted:

And also really stupid. So you really want to taunt your sister's "recovering addict" boyfriend when you know he might flip out and kill you and your mom?

She confronted Monroe later in the episode, so she was clearly not afraif of him, also they must have known that Rosalee wouldn't be in a relationship with a crazy murderer, Blutbad or not.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

johntfs posted:

I feel like you are underestimating the Fuchsbaus; I'm guessing they are not that helpless that three of them would be in terrible danger. Plus, I don't think anyone was in danger, she was just loving with him to make him uncomfortable and there was never a chance he would flip out.

I thought that whole sequence was unusually humanizing of wessen. Oh, awkward Monroe :swoon:

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 19, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Delta-Wye posted:

I feel like you are underestimating the Fuchsbaus; I'm guessing they are not that helpless that three of them would be in terrible danger. Plus, I don't think anyone was in danger, she was just loving with him to make him uncomfortable and there was never a chance he would flip out.

I thought that whole sequence was unusually humanizing of wessen. Oh, awkward Monroe :swoon:

Oh, I agree that no one was in danger from Monroe. I just think the perception of danger/trouble might have been higher. Sort of like "Hey, this is Rosalee, the sister who was strung out on heroin the last time you saw her. Anyway, yes I'm coming to dinner and I'm bringing my boyfriend, who's a former child solder in a militia that liked to chop limbs off of people and burn them in barrels. He'd prefer to have a veggie meal because the smell of burning meat might trigger a flashback. See you at eight."

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Wait what? Are you thinking of the Lowen Games? I don't recall that they ever mentioned Monroe being militia at all, otherwise....(unless it was on one of the episodes I missed...)

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

What I thought was really interesting was when Juliette was reading the entry on manticores, when the Grimm came upon the army unit with manticores, "I quickly put away my blade to conceal my identity as a Grimm."

I'm not sure what that means, maybe they notice a Grimm when they have a killing intent? Thought I'd point it out.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I know the writers have said more than once that Nick doesn't woge or look like anything to the wessen when they realize he's a Grimm, but I really wish that he turned into this hideously, gross, ugly thing in their view. Then never have them show it to us, just let other wessen describe it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strabo4 posted:

What I thought was really interesting was when Juliette was reading the entry on manticores, when the Grimm came upon the army unit with manticores, "I quickly put away my blade to conceal my identity as a Grimm."

I'm not sure what that means, maybe they notice a Grimm when they have a killing intent? Thought I'd point it out.

I think they notice most people waving blades around. Probably the Grimm didn't want to attract attention, and unlike Nick had mastered the art of "not looking at wesen in a funny way" that usually gives them away.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Astrofig posted:

Wait what? Are you thinking of the Lowen Games? I don't recall that they ever mentioned Monroe being militia at all, otherwise....(unless it was on one of the episodes I missed...)

I think you missed the fact that a violent history for a normal-human was subbed in for "person eating werewolf" to give it a bit of a realistic spin.

johntfs posted:

Oh, I agree that no one was in danger from Monroe. I just think the perception of danger/trouble might have been higher. Sort of like "Hey, this is Rosalee, the sister who was strung out on heroin the last time you saw her. Anyway, yes I'm coming to dinner and I'm bringing my boyfriend, who's a former child solder in a militia that liked to chop limbs off of people and burn them in barrels. He'd prefer to have a veggie meal because the smell of burning meat might trigger a flashback. See you at eight."

I'm sure they were aware that Rosalee had turned her life around when she came back and dealt with her brother's death, which is a crazy amount of work. Hell, things were even actively antagonistic at first while everyone was ignoring the elephant in the room.

If you think the family history and the blutblod boyfriend are difficult issues to overcome though, wait until they hear about the Grimm bff. :ohdear:

EDIT: I've been contemplating the whole human royal vs. wesen issue, and I'm guessing that is where the royal/grimm alliance comes in; they cultivate a band of enforcers and use them to control the wesen population. It would explain why Renard is so big on the "Yeah, I've got a grimm on my side :smug:, wanna fight about it?" bit.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 20, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Oasx posted:

She confronted Monroe later in the episode, so she was clearly not afraif of him, also they must have known that Rosalee wouldn't be in a relationship with a crazy murderer, Blutbad or not.

I just had a mental image of a Pomeranian being all aggressive when dealing with threats that are larger than them. Maybe she's more of a Pomeranian and not a fox. The clever fox stories, in various fables, basically just have the fox being crafty and escaping danger that way. I wouldn't think they'd be as aggressive as she was being. But she's also probably smart enough to know how far she can push it...if her personality sort of follows the foxes in fairy tales.

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 20, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Tonight's episode:

3x12 – "The Wild Hunt"
Nick and Hank track a murderous wolf Wesen bent on finding worthy opponents, and Monroe finally pops the question.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Tonight's episode:

3x12 – "The Wild Hunt"
Nick and Hank track a murderous wolf Wesen bent on finding worthy opponents, and Monroe finally pops the question.

so much :3:

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Bahahahahahahaha.

That ending was great.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That's going to be the next thread title, obviously.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
No new Grimm until February 28? Oh &@$#! indeed.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
drat, I was hoping we'd get one more before the Olympics. This show never drops the ball with its cliffhangers. :argh:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
drat, Monroe can be scary if he gets angry! No wonder he tries so hard not to be!

Guh, no new ones until after the Olympics?! Nooo....

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I found myself unable to care about the case of the week. Rosalee and Monroe's plot was way more interesting.

Monroe's parents are jerks and holy poo poo that ending what the hell. Also, more fuel for my hypothesis that after they woge, wesen can simply tell Nick's a Grimm.

Why do we have to wait a month for another episode? :(

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't care how long this show goes on for, I will never get tired of wessen freaking out when they realize Nick is a Grimm.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

johntfs posted:

Absolutely, because if he did flip out then that would prove that she was right all along and Monroe was scum, thus proving Rosalee is scum for dating him, and therefore that the sister is the Good Daughter. I can absolutely believe someone would do something like that.

Some Numbers posted:

I found myself unable to care about the case of the week. Rosalee and Monroe's plot was way more interesting.

Me too. I almost feel like it'd be better if the whole show was just "awkward Wesen society drama/comedy" instead of a police procedural, but the drama would probably get too thick if they tried a one-hour show like that. Maybe a "Monroe & Rosalee" 22-minute spinoff?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Me too. I almost feel like it'd be better if the whole show was just "awkward Wesen society drama/comedy" instead of a police procedural, but the drama would probably get too thick if they tried a one-hour show like that. Maybe a "Monroe & Rosalee" 22-minute spinoff?

I feel like it's kind of moving in that direction. They spent way more time focusing on Monroe and Rosalee and big stuff happening abroad. The wesen of the week felt like a complete afterthought that they had to tack on because "monster police case of the week" is the premise that they have to follow.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Maybe it's just me, but I have little to no interest in everything going on abroad.

We're halfway through the season at this point and it's all just kind of happening. I have no idea what anyone wants outside of Adeline who just wants to be a Hexenbiest again.

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 25, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shrimpy posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I have little to no interest in everything going on abroad.

We're halfway through the season at this point and it's all just kind of happening. I have no idea what anyone wants outside of Adeline who just wants to be a Hexenbiest again.

Yeah, they're running a slow reveal on all that but I'd just like for Nick to sit down with Renard and play 20 questions. We've been given very little information about the global geopolitics of Wesen and royals and then just been dumped into their intrigues

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
I want Nick to meet another Grimm. With no woge, would they flip out? You're a Grimm?!?! There are obviously plenty of them out there, and it isn't a bloodline like Royals. Anyway, maybe season 7 will have that happen.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That was a great ending, i was ok with the wessen of the week being a side plot, because the two other storylines were really good. Personally i enjoy the royal/resistance part of the story.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think one reason why Rosalee's mother and sister weren't freaked out she was dating a Blutbad was because that would have diminished the impact of Monroe's parent's reactions.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

pentyne posted:

I don't care how long this show goes on for, I will never get tired of wessen freaking out when they realize Nick is a Grimm.

It keeps getting more and more over the top and personal too. Random person's reaction. Juliette's friend's reaction. Monroe's parents' reaction. There is much more they can escalate there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

JD Bucks 7 posted:

I want Nick to meet another Grimm. With no woge, would they flip out? You're a Grimm?!?! There are obviously plenty of them out there, and it isn't a bloodline like Royals. Anyway, maybe season 7 will have that happen.

He met his mom and couldn't tell she was a Grimm.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Some Numbers posted:

He met his mom and couldn't tell she was a Grimm.

And presumably he knew his aunt for much longer as an adult, and had no idea she was a Grimm.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

And presumably he knew his aunt for much longer as an adult, and had no idea she was a Grimm.

Didn't his Grimm-ness only come out as she was dying (last week or so of her terminal illness)? Or is my memory horribly mangling up the start of the series?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Well this is a fun show, I just recently started watching it. Holy crap I am annoyed as hell that Nick is seemingly finding it impossible to just tell Juliette about things, though. 2/3 through season 2 and it would just solve so many problems. It's not like she hasn't been though enough weird poo poo, she won't doubt all that much.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Fellwenner posted:

Well this is a fun show, I just recently started watching it. Holy crap I am annoyed as hell that Nick is seemingly finding it impossible to just tell Juliette about things, though. 2/3 through season 2 and it would just solve so many problems. It's not like she hasn't been though enough weird poo poo, she won't doubt all that much.

The writers realized that this was annoying as hell and took steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

devoir posted:

The writers realized that this was annoying as hell and took steps.

Thank god.

• Locked thread