Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That is spectacularly stupid and displays a fundamental ignorance of the fluff on the author's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Pretty sure he's laughing at the fact that it's only the asian looking people who get picked as potential Scars before any of the genetic modification actually takes place. Chill.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Fellblade posted:

This seems dumb, all Scars look 'asian' because the Khan looks asian.

In this specific case, a Terran-born SM recruit (pre-genetic-modded) was among those assigned to other legions that needed bulking up, and he was noting that most of the Terran recruits being assigned to the Scars were those who bore similar facial features.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Saith posted:

Pretty sure he's laughing at the fact that it's only the asian looking people who get picked as potential Scars before any of the genetic modification actually takes place. Chill.

But he's the only person who has ever said that's the case, so he's laughing at himself?

Edit: The author not the character.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fried Chicken posted:

checked and yeah it is khorne and slaanesh who hate each other. Still, the way it was hinted the scars would go to slaanesh was cool
Khorne and Tzeentch also hate each other, because gently caress magic and yay magic respectively.

It's Chaos, just roll with it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Arquinsiel posted:

Khorne and Tzeentch also hate each other, because gently caress magic and yay magic respectively.

It's Chaos, just roll with it.

Yeah, that's the one I always remember, so I assumed that Slaanesh and Nurgle hated each other because of the striving to perfection vs heading to entropy deal.

And guys while it may be that the fluff has the White Scars being "wing wong ching chong flied lice" stereotypes that doesn't mean that poo poo shouldn't be called out as being stupid. Because it is, and despite being the set fluff that doesn't mean it shouldn't be pulled back from. The fluff had the World Eaters being irrationally angry, led by a guy named Angry Man. Nobody complains that ADB called out that and downplayed elements while inserting new context to give them depth. While Wraight doesn't do that to the Scars (either due to lack of pull with the editors, not being on ADB's level, or wanting to do it over time) it comes across as him being unhappy with the fact he has to write scenes where the characters embrace calligraphy, poetry, Go, and sitting on cushions on the ground in wine and opium dens because of the fluff. He has Khan dislike Russ specifically because he doesn't like the Scars being written off as a bunch off simple barbaric caricatures like Russ plays up the wolves as. He has the Terran born guy roll his eyes at all the Asians getting shuffled off together. He lays down some plot threads with the emissary from Terra that could allow him to do more with it like how Abnett did with the Wolves in Prosperto Burns or the Ultramarines in Know No Fear and explore greater depth beyond the entry level stuff.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

And guys while it may be that the fluff has the White Scars being "wing wong ching chong flied lice" stereotypes that doesn't mean that poo poo shouldn't be called out as being stupid.

The point I'm making is that it's never even slightly been this so calling it out is moronic.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Does anyone know if some halfway decent Tau stories?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Aziraphale posted:

Fire Warrior is literally the only Tau-focused story, and it can be summed up with A Fire Warrior goes around killing things and slowly becomes a Khornate Berzerker. It's a bad video game tie-in that doesn't stick to canon at all.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
The sad thing is, I bought Fire Caste fairly recently hoping it would be a new BL author's (E: Peter Fehervari's) take on the Tau and was ... disappointed. It's not even really a Tau story despite the name, which was only a small part of the problem.

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 19, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fellblade posted:

The point I'm making is that it's never even slightly been this so calling it out is moronic.

Yeah the Scars were never a super fleshed out legion besides being "Genghis Khan in Space." Also Wraight pretty much ignores the existing little bits that the Khan and Russ were buddies and that the Khan was one of the most committed to the crusade though ambivalent about the new Imperium being formed, the crusade being basically exactly the same as what he did (unite the scattered tribes of Chogoris) except on a much larger scale.

I was personally pretty disappointed in the book. The writing was ok (in terms of not being a horrible pain to read) but not really good.

Serpentis posted:

The sad thing is, I bought Fire Caste fairly recently hoping it would be a new BL author's (E: Peter Fehervari's) take on the Tau and was ... disappointed. It's not even really a Tau story despite the name, which was only a small part of the problem.

I disagree, it's probably the best new 40k that's come out other than ADB/Abnett. It's clearly an early work by a new writer but overall the writing is still far better than the typical tripe.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Cream_Filling posted:

I disagree, it's probably the best new 40k that's come out other than ADB/Abnett. It's clearly an early work by a new writer but overall the writing is still far better than the typical tripe.

I admit that I've not read much of the new BL works, so I can't fairly compare and contrast with anything. I'm less ticked off that it's a new writer and thus his early work (which is a fair point) and more that the blurb really sold a premise that the book didn't deliver on, which I suppose influenced my view of the book as a whole. That, and there were a few points that even with what I've just said borne in mind, didn't work. I'm a bit leery of going into spoilers here, but in short, the ending was really rather a cliff-hangery climax, and it felt as if there was meant to be a really satisfying climax to the book-long thread about the Guard involved ... and it really wasn't satisfyingly delivered. To the point where I had to re-read the last few chapters to make sure I'd not missed anything, but perhaps that was me.

I seem to remember seeing an advert for another Tau book coming out fairly soon from the prospective of a fire warrior (might have been Path of the XXX after the Path of the Eldar books, can't remember) which I have some hopes for, though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Serpentis posted:

I admit that I've not read much of the new BL works, so I can't fairly compare and contrast with anything. I'm less ticked off that it's a new writer and thus his early work (which is a fair point) and more that the blurb really sold a premise that the book didn't deliver on, which I suppose influenced my view of the book as a whole. That, and there were a few points that even with what I've just said borne in mind, didn't work. I'm a bit leery of going into spoilers here, but in short, the ending was really rather a cliff-hangery climax, and it felt as if there was meant to be a really satisfying climax to the book-long thread about the Guard involved ... and it really wasn't satisfyingly delivered. To the point where I had to re-read the last few chapters to make sure I'd not missed anything, but perhaps that was me.

I seem to remember seeing an advert for another Tau book coming out fairly soon from the prospective of a fire warrior (might have been Path of the XXX after the Path of the Eldar books, can't remember) which I have some hopes for, though.

I don't think you understood the ending. It's a time loop/paradox.

Overall the writing quality was better than the standard for BL. The quality of BL writing has not really changed much, which is to say that it's still bad. Though maybe not quite as bad as back when people like CS Goto were still getting work since the current crop of writers at the very least seem like they speak english.

The Tau are boring anyway and I honestly don't think they could carry a whole book. Unless you love long strings of exposition made up almost entirely of awful made-up apostrophe words. Those Path of the Eldar books were also really bad and seem to support the BL's previous "no alien POVs" rule.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 19, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I picked up Helsreach last night and just finished it, it was pretty good. The bit about the Salamanders was good but it makes me sad Nick Kyme is their writer.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Aziraphale posted:

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Fire Warrior is literally the only Tau-focused story, and it can be summed up with A Fire Warrior goes around killing things and slowly becomes a Khornate Berzerker. It's a bad video game tie-in that doesn't stick to canon at all.
There is actually one more Shadowsun.
It's not a good book though, and it's dubious at best at sticking to the canon.
Wasn't it C.S. Goto who wrote the Fire Warrior one by the way?

E:

Cream_Filling posted:

since the current crop of writers at the very least seem like they speak english.
This reminds me, I read the Salamander omnibus by Nick Kyme a few months back. He kept using the word "staccato" in relation to gunfire, like "The steady staccato of bolter fire".
Now, staccato is a musical term for a note of shorter duration.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 20, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Groetgaffel posted:

This reminds me, I read the Salamander omnibus by Nick Kyme a few months back. He kept using the word "staccato" in relation to gunfire, like "The steady staccato of bolter fire".

Staccato is often used to refer to gunfire, or just short sounds.

See definition 2 from merriam-webster:

quote:

2 : abrupt, disjointed <staccato screams>
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/staccato

And, even more relevant, the note at the bottom of reference.com:

quote:

Note : The term staccato has been applied generally to things that occur in rapid bursts, such as gunfire.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/staccato

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Huh, did not know that.
Still, he use that word like eight or nine times out of ten times he's talking about bolter fire. Which I think is excessive.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Nick Kyme is a very bad writer. One of the worst prose stylists of an already pretty iffy lot. Also his characters and worldbuilding are both dumb as hell, as are his plots.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yeah, it is interesting how authors get hung up on certain words. I believe it is Abnett, but it could be ABD... in either case, one of them used the word "proffered" a few times in one of the novels I recently read; I remember its use since I grew up with a friend who had that as a surname. Good ol' GRRM also repeats certain words quite a bit as well!

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 20, 2014

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Abnett likes repeating words/phrases or gets fixated on certain grammar structures on a per-book basis. It's not a bad thing exactly, but it's easy to spot if you look for it.

Also, this is the kind of thing an editor is supposed to fix.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

There is actually one more Shadowsun.
It's not a good book though, and it's dubious at best at sticking to the canon.
Wasn't it C.S. Goto who wrote the Fire Warrior one by the way?

E:

Simon Spurrier wrote it.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Yeah, it is interesting how authors get hung up on certain words. I believe it is Abnett, but it could be ABD... in either case, one of them used the word "proffered" a few times in one of the novels I recently read; I remember its use since I grew up with a friend who had that as a surname. Good ol' GRRM also repeats certain words quite a bit as well!

Woah there, Wild Card. The one that stuck out the most for me was "viff", from the book about the IG flyers. Double-something.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
"Wet leopard growl."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Shroud posted:

Woah there, Wild Card. The one that stuck out the most for me was "viff", from the book about the IG flyers. Double-something.

"VIFF" is "Vector In Forward Flight" and it's an aeronautical term that's appropriate for the kind of maneuvers they were doing. He used the term a lot, but that's what the maneuver is called.

That aside, "wet leopard-snarl" and "practical/theoretical" were the big offenders I remember from Abnett.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The last BL book I read, Space Marine, likes the word "puissant" a lot.

I still don't know what to feel about that book. On one hand, it's got Space Marines eating the brains of a Titan crew in order to pilot an Emperor Titan, on the other hand it has their drill ship entering a Tyranid bio-ship through its anus (the book specifically says that) and the whole pain glove business.

I'm also miffed that Lexandro was the only one who survived, while Biff was the best of the three, with his thunks and all.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Schneider Heim posted:

The last BL book I read, Space Marine, likes the word "puissant" a lot.

I still don't know what to feel about that book. On one hand, it's got Space Marines eating the brains of a Titan crew in order to pilot an Emperor Titan, on the other hand it has their drill ship entering a Tyranid bio-ship through its anus (the book specifically says that) and the whole pain glove business.

I'm also miffed that Lexandro was the only one who survived, while Biff was the best of the three, with his thunks and all.

That was Watson's Space Marine. That was written in the glory days where 40k fluff was even weirder, and his later books showed without question that he was making subtext text and that Space Marines were incredibly, overwhelmingly, ridiculously, unimaginably, flamboyantly gay.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

VanSandman posted:

"Wet leopard growl."

Where's this from, especifically? Kinda recall something like it; maybe Traitor General?

Also, while we're at it, I never expected the thing stalking them to be a motherfucking tank.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Daeren posted:

That was Watson's Space Marine. That was written in the glory days where 40k fluff was even weirder, and his later books showed without question that he was making subtext text and that Space Marines were incredibly, overwhelmingly, ridiculously, unimaginably, flamboyantly gay.

'Dammit Ian! We said "in the GRIM darkness of the far future," "in the GRIM!"'

I gotta read Space Marine.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Nick Kyme is a very bad writer. One of the worst prose stylists of an already pretty iffy lot. Also his characters and worldbuilding are both dumb as hell, as are his plots.

I always found this weird because Kyme edits ADB's stuff. I think he knows what good prose, characterisation and stories should be but just can't manage to write it himself.

Daeren posted:

That it was Ian Watson was the best writer for GW. His stories were 'canon' before these other stories were canon. :colbert:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Azran posted:

Where's this from, especifically? Kinda recall something like it; maybe Traitor General?

The 'wet leopard growl' is from Prospero Burns, and it's apparently what the Space Wolves all do.

I actually don't mind Abnett's weird phrases since, like someone else mentioned, they are a book by book thing and tend to fit the aesthetic of the story.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Kegslayer posted:

I always found this weird because Kyme edits ADB's stuff. I think he knows what good prose, characterisation and stories should be but just can't manage to write it himself.

Judging by the eloquence of ADB's blog posts, I don't think he really needs that much editing, but you'd expect some of the skill/talent would rub off on Kyme eventually...

Then we got Vulkan Lives.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

VanSandman posted:

'Dammit Ian! We said "in the GRIM darkness of the far future," "in the GRIM!"'

I gotta read Space Marine.

Don't expect a great plot though, the book just ends. It's a character-driven story, but even Space Wolf had more of a character arc. Prose is definitely top-notch, though, unlike any other BL writer.

I gotta read Inquisition War next.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Yep Nick Kyme's 40k books are really bad, on the other hand, I found Honourkeeper to be pretty decent (especially being a warhammer fantasy book). Maybe the grim darknaess of the 41st millenium is not his thing.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Noctis Horrendae posted:

That is sort of neat considering how anathema the Tau find hand to hand fighting.

Angry Lobster posted:

Yep Nick Kyme's 40k books are really bad, on the other hand, I found Honourkeeper to be pretty decent (especially being a warhammer fantasy book). Maybe the grim darknaess of the 41st millenium is not his thing.

I already bought Vulkan Lives :( At least the book looks nice.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The 'wet leopard growl' is from Prospero Burns, and it's apparently what the Space Wolves all do.

I actually don't mind Abnett's weird phrases since, like someone else mentioned, they are a book by book thing and tend to fit the aesthetic of the story.

Wolves growling like big cats fits no aesthetic I know of :colbert:

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 20, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Aziraphale posted:

That is sort of neat considering how anathema the Tau find hand to hand fighting.
My main memories of that game are the scale being wrong and steps coming up to mid-chest on stairs, but also that when I first saw a Space Marine I was out of ammo and had to kill him with my knife. Which I did.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Arquinsiel posted:

My main memories of that game are the scale being wrong and steps coming up to mid-chest on stairs, but also that when I first saw a Space Marine I was out of ammo and had to kill him with my knife. Which I did.

However fire warrior is the only game, i have ever played where Bolters felt "right" (i.e. instagib everything not a space marine/your hero).

Even if the game was completely nonsensical.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I still love fire warrior because it's nuts.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Balance your humors.

Choler is rising.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

bunnyofdoom posted:

I still love fire warrior because it's nuts.

Fire Warrior is fantastic. I love the bit where he's grumbling about how it doesn't make any sense that he has to run around and collect three different key cards for a door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wish so hard for a proper 40k mass pvp mmo, or a better xcom ripoff, an rpg trader game, or a cool inquisitor rpg. The setting is so rich. You could make anything. The story is already written for you. Armored Core with Titans :getin:

How was Space Marine? Worth :tenbux: to mess around with?