Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I find it crazy that anyone is getting upset over it even if it is a Gundam movie adaptation. Even if it were Bayformers levels of bad and aimed entirely at the lowest common denominator (and with Tomino involved that's doubtful), so what? As long as it's successful it'll still end up with some dvds/blu-rays being released here along with new toys and models being on sale in America as opposed to online. And nobody will lose because they can simply skip seeing a movie they didn't want in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't think it's a movie because I don't think these kind of things have ever been announced with a special effects studio rather than producers or actual studios.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

tsob posted:

I find it crazy that anyone is getting upset over it even if it is a Gundam movie adaptation. Even if it were Bayformers levels of bad and aimed entirely at the lowest common denominator (and with Tomino involved that's doubtful), so what? As long as it's successful it'll still end up with some dvds/blu-rays being released here along with new toys and models being on sale in America as opposed to online. And nobody will lose because they can simply skip seeing a movie they didn't want in the first place.

Don't knock bayformer's too hard, especially in the context of "Hollywood adaptation of toy commercial". Check for the CD thread on the movies. I won't sign off wholesale on everything the OP brings up but it was made pretty obvious /something/ more was going on than first glance would cause you to expect. Especially relevant considering how Tomino used a toy commercial to tell a better story, with a deeper message, than you would have ever expected before it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I really hope it's a Gundam movie, because all I want in life is a live-action Ramba Ral played by John Goodman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Don't knock bayformer's too hard, especially in the context of "Hollywood adaptation of toy commercial". Check for the CD thread on the movies. I won't sign off wholesale on everything the OP brings up but it was made pretty obvious /something/ more was going on than first glance would cause you to expect. Especially relevant considering how Tomino used a toy commercial to tell a better story, with a deeper message, than you would have ever expected before it.

No, the OP in that thread and the thread in general are going above and beyond giving the movie benefit of the doubt. It's possible, and indeed trivial, to do that sort of thing for any sort of movie. SuperMechaGodzilla, one of the big posters in that thread, makes it his gimmick to do that to any movie he brings up. The OP of that thread is putting his full rear end into it but still.

That said, I doubt we're getting a Gundam LA movie anytime soon because movie studios don't like throwing money away on likely failures. Even a modest Gundam movie would need a huge budget.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 15, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

That said, I doubt we're getting a Gundam LA movie anytime soon because movie studios don't like throwing money away on likely failures. Even a modest Gundam movie would need a huge budget.

Pacific Rim did pretty well for a film about giant stompy robots. The market is willing to watch robots blow eachother up, it's just the story usually is loving idiotic. Pacific Rim's story was dumb in a good way.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

YouTuber posted:

Pacific Rim did pretty well for a film about giant stompy robots. The market is willing to watch robots blow each other up, it's just the story usually is loving idiotic. Pacific Rim's story was dumb in a good way.

And in some ways Pacific Rim is a low-ball estimate of giant stompy robots profitability, since its advertising campaign was an unfortunate casualty of the Legendary Pictures - Warner Bros breakup.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I for one hope a worthwhile Gundam movie is made in the next 10 years because Dozle Zabi is the role Mickey Rourke was born to play, and that fucker isn't getting any younger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Every role will be played by Johnny Depp. Every single one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I don't actually have anything against the Bayformers movies personally, they're just the commonly held bench-mark at the moment for bad adaptations hated by fans. In addition to the already mentioned new life it breathes in to a franchise for fans even if they don't like the movie I thought the first was a decent action flick, if a little cliche, and I'm actually kind of sad I lost my DVD of it a few years back. The second is one of the most forgettable movies I've ever seen alongside Blade III and the third had some cool action scenes even if the plot was a little out there (relative to the canon at least), Shia LeBeouf a little too whiny and Optimus a bit too bloodthirsty for most. There was some great action in there, and at least one moment of really great tension when it looked like Bumblebee was about to die. I won't be going to see the new one in the theater, but I'll probably get around to seeing it at some point and more than likely enjoy it to some degree if the past of the movie franchise is any indication.

The designs are a horrible clusterfuck though, I do have to agree with most fans on that. In the end I just kind of view the films as a cross between Transformers and Mellowlink, since the army normally plays a big part taking down other Transformers and I usually enjoy the action - 2 being the exception.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Except Johnny Ridden.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
In what universe do you cast anyone as Gihren who isn't Christopher Walken?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ImpAtom posted:

Every role will be played by Nic Cage. Every single one.
There we go, this would be awesome. Kamille!Cage :allears:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Now would Haro be voiced by Eddie Murphy or Chris Rock?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

BizarroAzrael posted:

Brad Swaile.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Chris Tucker. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not seeing Gilbert Gottfried here so every answer is clearly wrong.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Raku posted:

In what universe do you cast anyone as Gihren who isn't Christopher Walken?

But if Walken is Gihren, who will be played by Nicholas Cage?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not seeing Gilbert Gottfried here so every answer is clearly wrong.

He plays Katz.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Give me Danny McBride as Bright Noa or give me death.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Matthew McConaughey is Sleggar Law, the Blue Collar Comedy guys as the Black Tri-Stars

Nick Cage is M'Quve

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Crowetron posted:

Give me Danny McBride as Bright Noa or give me death.

Did you mean Ioan Gruffudd?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MonsieurChoc posted:

But if Walken is Gihren, who will be played by Nicholas Cage?

Yazan.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Directed by Robert Zemeckis

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Most important is who will Tom Cruise play - because Tom Cruise is in every adaptation of an Asian piece at the moment for some reason.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Tom Cruise as Ramba Ral.

Just kidding, everyone knows Idris Elba is the only man alive awesome enough to play Ramba Ral.

Tom Cruise as Scirocco.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Senerio posted:

Tom Cruise as Ramba Ral.

Just kidding, everyone knows Idris Elba is the only man alive awesome enough to play Ramba Ral.

Tom Cruise as Scirocco.

How about Nick Offerman as Ramba Ral

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Lessail posted:

How about Nick Offerman as Ramba Ral

I'd go for a time traveling Burt Reynolds.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

In other news, volume 7 of The Origin is now available for preorder.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Why's it got to be live-action Gundam? Everyone is clearly overlooking the possibility of live-action Brain Powerd Overman King Gainer.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Argas posted:

Why's it got to be live-action Gundam? Everyone is clearly overlooking the possibility of live-action Brain Powerd Overman King Gainer.

Live Action Ideon movie. :unsmigghh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Live-Action Garzey's Wing.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Endorph posted:

Live-Action Garzey's Wing.

The first major motion picture shot entirely via Vine.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

tsob posted:

Most important is who will Tom Cruise play - because Tom Cruise is in every adaptation of an Asian piece at the moment for some reason.

If we're going by Edge of Tomorrow, 51 year old Tom will be playing 15 year old wunderkind Amuro Ray.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It may well just be me, but when reading Ramba Ral's lines in The Origin: Volume Three all I could hear was Brian Blessed's magnificent voice.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Guys, guys, Gundam itself has already given us the answer of who would play Ramba Ral.

Ramba Ral will be played by Mr. Ral, because he exists in all realities, including ones contained in other realities.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Guys, guys, Gundam itself has already given us the answer of who would play Ramba Ral.

Ramba Ral will be played by Mr. Ral, because he exists in all realities, including ones contained in other realities.

All Gundam continuities end with Turn A. All begin with Ral.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Shia La Beouf as Kai babbling his way through the One Year War.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus Christ Japan, it's been 12 years. It's okay to move on.

(Iori Sei at #6.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus Christ Japan, it's been 12 years. It's okay to move on.

(Iori Sei at #6.)

Bitching. Was hoping that Build Fighters would keep getting the love.

• Locked thread