Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
SOLD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

YF-23 posted:

Νερό in Greek means water and would be latinised the same way, so this is obviously an Atlantis invader/alt-hist DLC for CK2/EU4/both.

Crusader Kings 2: Wrath of R'lyeh

Johan fhtagn ia! Ia!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

Armstrong is a comet destruction game. You play a space station out in the ort cloud. A large wave of comets is approaching the solar system. If they get through, all hell will break loose on Earth. It is up to you and a few other intrepid astronauts to stop certain apocalypse.

What if it's like other Paradox games but you play as the comet?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

Mind. Blown.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GrossMurpel posted:

You joke about this, but I would pay money for a CK2 DLC that allowed you to trigger events for characters and perform other "god actions" in observe mode. Sometimes, something really interesting is on the verge of happening and it just needs a little push to set everything in motion.

I know you can do this through the console now, but it'd be cooler if it was integrated into the game with a proper UI and stuff. :toot:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's not EU:Rome2 because it's CKII expanded to 753BC.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It may be grognardy as hell but I'd play a game based on just the internal politics of the Roman Empire at its height.

Keep the people happy while simultaneously building your influence in the Senate through any means necessary.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Rynoto posted:

It may be grognardy as hell but I'd play a game based on just the internal politics of the Roman Empire at its height.

Keep the people happy while simultaneously building your influence in the Senate through any means necessary.

So you mean Republic to maybe Emperor Domitian? I know Augustus used the Senate to shoulder the legislative load a bit, the last Emperor I can recall bothering with it is Claudius who was ranting about how you either vote yes or no for a law not circumvent it with bullshit parliamentary rules.

quote:

If you accept these proposals, Conscript Fathers, say so at once and simply, in accordance with your convictions. If you do not accept them, find alternatives, but do so here and now; or if you wish to take time for consideration, take it, provided you do not forget that you must be ready to pronounce your opinion whenever you may be summoned to meet. It ill befits the dignity of the Senate that the consul designate should repeat the phrases of the consuls word for word as his opinion, and that every one else should merely say 'I approve', and that then, after leaving, the assembly should announce 'We debated'.

Glad things have changed in 2000 years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O_GRkMZJn4 :allears: Shame that we've lost a bit of the eloquence in our rants.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Both games are Paradox Interactive-published pixel art roguelite platformers and they deal with themes like man dealing with his own mortality and the unyielding passage of time. Armstrong is set in space and Nero is set inside Nero Burning ROM's development team's headquarters.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

YF-23 posted:

Νερό in Greek means water and would be latinised the same way, so this is obviously an Atlantis invader/alt-hist DLC for CK2/EU4/both.

And clearly, it will be about best Atlantis.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
This is probably of pretty limited interest, but what the hell. I wanted to embrace my inner creepy nationalist and do a Norse conquest of paradise. I was less keen on playing through 500 years of CK2 to get a really weird Europe and convert it just for the Norseness; I like the layout as it is.

So, I made the world's laziest Norse mod.

It's the bog standard start and history*, only with a magically Norse Kalmar Union and the Livonian Order and Riga replaced by the equally theocratic Jomsvikings. I had no particularly good notions on titles and names for them, so they got to be very Swedish Latvians. The events, diplomacy and nordic history files on things that aren't religions are unaltered so being Norse is a bit dull at the moment, but having not touched the mod stuff before I'm pretty happy for an afternoon of mucking around. It should be possible to make interesting without too much work or getting very far away from being just the regular game with Norse for no reason in particular. I'll see how test games go tomorrow, I guess.

*Okay, fine, I also upped the tax base in the Norse bits. I'm rationalizing it as compensating for the diplomatic situation but, really, I'm just cheating because I want to stomp things.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just went through the Victoria 2 pop files and noticed that sometimes jews are not only listed as religion but also as specific culture (ashkenazi/sephardim).

What's up with that?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

YouTuber posted:

So you mean Republic to maybe Emperor Domitian? I know Augustus used the Senate to shoulder the legislative load a bit, the last Emperor I can recall bothering with it is Claudius who was ranting about how you either vote yes or no for a law not circumvent it with bullshit parliamentary rules.

When I first wrote that I was thinking more during the actual Empire times. The Senate had almost no formal political power, but plenty of influential power within the Byzantine branch. More or less taking CK2 to a more extreme type with little conquest and more internal rivalry between the aristocrats/politicians and the emperor.

Now, of course, I want a game that somehow captures the transition from Aristocratic Republic rule to Imperial/Absolute rule and the power struggles that happened.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Xerophyte posted:

This is probably of pretty limited interest, but what the hell. I wanted to embrace my inner creepy nationalist and do a Norse conquest of paradise. I was less keen on playing through 500 years of CK2 to get a really weird Europe and convert it just for the Norseness; I like the layout as it is.

So, I made the world's laziest Norse mod.

It's the bog standard start and history*, only with a magically Norse Kalmar Union and the Livonian Order and Riga replaced by the equally theocratic Jomsvikings. I had no particularly good notions on titles and names for them, so they got to be very Swedish Latvians. The events, diplomacy and nordic history files on things that aren't religions are unaltered so being Norse is a bit dull at the moment, but having not touched the mod stuff before I'm pretty happy for an afternoon of mucking around. It should be possible to make interesting without too much work or getting very far away from being just the regular game with Norse for no reason in particular. I'll see how test games go tomorrow, I guess.

*Okay, fine, I also upped the tax base in the Norse bits. I'm rationalizing it as compensating for the diplomatic situation but, really, I'm just cheating because I want to stomp things.

Europa Gooniversalis has norse scandinavia and iceland in as well if you're interested.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So I reinstalled Vicky 2 on a whim, and got the two expacs for it. Good times. Playing as the USA, doing the typical 1870s stuff like colonizing Africa and wrangling over who gets to build the Panama canal, when all of a sudden 150 communist brigades rise up in New York and Washington. Since that's like 5 times my current standing army, I guess we're the USSA now. So how do I keep these Jacobin rebels from popping up all over? I get that they want votin' and stuff, but I can't seem to reintroduce that to mollify them. So it's whack a mole all over again. Which I know is a Paradox tradition, but it still annoying.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Rebels don't have any technology so if you have a sufficiently advanced army, you can probably break their poo poo.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

sullat posted:

So I reinstalled Vicky 2 on a whim, and got the two expacs for it. Good times. Playing as the USA, doing the typical 1870s stuff like colonizing Africa and wrangling over who gets to build the Panama canal, when all of a sudden 150 communist brigades rise up in New York and Washington. Since that's like 5 times my current standing army, I guess we're the USSA now. So how do I keep these Jacobin rebels from popping up all over? I get that they want votin' and stuff, but I can't seem to reintroduce that to mollify them. So it's whack a mole all over again. Which I know is a Paradox tradition, but it still annoying.

There's some setting you change to make rebels disappear after spawning but Jacobins will revolt until you have some sort of democratic government again which you can't have under communism (lol). Or you could go down the route of my communist mega-germany and murder 80 million revolting civillians. Though by the 1930s some event glitched and allowed one of my houses to be electable while remaining communist so maybe find and fire that event.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 19, 2014

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Dibujante posted:

Europa Gooniversalis has norse scandinavia and iceland in as well if you're interested.

Yeah, I know, but Gooniversalis has a lot of stuff. I just wanted norse vanilla.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jeoh posted:

Rebels don't have any technology so if you have a sufficiently advanced army, you can probably break their poo poo.

I know they're not much of a threat, but it is annoying to deal with while trying to bring the people's revolution to the British.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I also just started playing as the USA in Vic2, but I keep getting Jacobin rebels after the Civil War, despite still having a fully-democratic government (with max political reforms, in fact). Any idea what it is they want? I'm playing with NNM, if that helps.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So in Victoria II how exactly do you make Austria work? I don't really want to form Germany and mainly plan to dick over the Ottomans as much as possible but my population has so many pops that aren't South German I'm not sure where to start

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Check if there are any lobbies that have have gotten really militant. Or see why your militancy is rising so much.

Or you can send the army in to crush the dissenting fucks. Its the 19th century, it's not like you dont have skeletons in your closet already :unsmigghh:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah, I know, but Gooniversalis has a lot of stuff. I just wanted norse vanilla.

You know you can just launch CK2 at an arbitrary date and hit 'convert', right? You don't actually have to play to the end-date to use the converter.

(Fun fact: I have played nearly 350 hours of CK2 without ever once seeing the 'out of time' screen.)

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

I know they're not much of a threat, but it is annoying to deal with while trying to bring the people's revolution to the British.

That's why you ensure that there's always a Revolutionary Guard stationed on DC to prevent any enemies of the people from toppling the legitimate government :ussr:.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Agean90 posted:

Check if there are any lobbies that have have gotten really militant. Or see why your militancy is rising so much.

Or you can send the army in to crush the dissenting fucks. Its the 19th century, it's not like you dont have skeletons in your closet already :unsmigghh:

Yeah I guess it's a militancy issue, I'll just have to figure out why they're so unhappy, and what exactly they propose I do about it.

It just feels weird to have mass republican revolutions in a country that already has all of the institutions they're clamoring for, I suppose.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Go in to the population screen for the whole country, then have it sort by militancy. Mouse over the militancy for a pop and it should give you a breakdown about whats affecting their militancy.

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 19, 2014

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Riso posted:

I just went through the Victoria 2 pop files and noticed that sometimes jews are not only listed as religion but also as specific culture (ashkenazi/sephardim).

What's up with that?

Ashkenazi jews are primarily found in central and Eastern Europe. They're by far the most numerous and culturally dominant nowadays. Sephardim lived in Iberia, and were mostly scattered to the wind after the Reconquista.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

TheBalor posted:

Ashkenazi jews are primarily found in central and Eastern Europe. They're by far the most numerous and culturally dominant nowadays. Sephardim lived in Iberia, and were mostly scattered to the wind after the Reconquista.

And the reason they're separate cultures instead of Germans/Italians/etc is because you need an appropriate pop to exist already for conversions to happen so because there are no Jewish Germans or Ashkenazi protestants Jews should stay Jewish.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

TheBalor posted:

They still exist, though, my brother's wife is a Sephardic Jew. Near as I can tell there's little distinction between an ethnically Sephardic person and an ethnically Spanish person, though I could be wrong there.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

How do I keep a country in my alliance in Darkest Hour? I'm trying to keep the CSA allied with my in my KR France game. At first I thought it was because they had cores on Mexico, so I banned the Mexicans from my alliance, but they still won't stay in, even after I start acceptalling them into my alliance. I've read somewhere that your allies will leave if they have poor relations with other members of the alliance, but they've got good relations (+160 and up) with everybody else in the alliance as well (except for me now because you lose 100 relations every time they leave, but they were leaving when we had +200 relations).

What else could it be? Is my belligerency too high (60-something)? Another ally has 90 something belligerency, is that the problem?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So I'm looking at returning to Victoria 2, and I'm trying to decide between PDM and NNM. In the past I've used NNM which has suited me fine, but there were a few little discrepancies that hurted ~my immersion~ and it hasn't been updated in quite a while. PDM on the other hand has seen more updates as well as having its own mini-mods which I could potentially use to tweak things, but I'm wary of its checkered past and the stupid things that've been added to it previously. Does anyone have experience with the latest versions of PDM?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Just play vanilla with Heart of Darkness.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Vanilla feels boring to me - the last time I played (when HoD was first released) it felt very static. Russia didn't expands southwards, the Ottoman Empire never became the sick man of Europe, nobody made inroads into Asia. The historical railroading of NNM and PDM can be extreme at times but I prefer that to the alternative.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Dunno if this was posted. Hint 3 about Project Nero:

Johan posted:

There are no provinces in this game.

:psyduck:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Cantorsdust posted:

Dunno if this was posted. Hint 3 about Project Nero:

:psyduck:

Well duh you silly goose, the fiddle contest only takes place in Rome itself, no need to model other provinces :rolleyes:.

Maybe Clausewitz really can't support more provinces and so Paradox has to scrap provinces all together? :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Calling it now: Paradox is switching to hexes

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Gary Grigsby and Paradox's World War: A Hearts of Iron hex game (4).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Universalis

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

reignonyourparade posted:

And the reason they're separate cultures instead of Germans/Italians/etc is because you need an appropriate pop to exist already for conversions to happen so because there are no Jewish Germans or Ashkenazi protestants Jews should stay Jewish.

The game has plenty of German, French, English, and whatever culture Jews; your reasoning makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Jewish jobs for Jewish workers

• Locked thread