Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a cheap/free scanner and OCR software package? I'd like to use my document feeder scanner to scan bills and whatnot, but I'm tired of 900meg pdfs.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bonus points if it's a double sided scanner. I would love to chain my scanner's output in to a crossfeed shredder :allears:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
OneNote can OCR images, but I don't know about automatically grabbing that from a scanner.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MMD3 posted:

Unfortunately keyboard still doesn't work, do a little reading and it sounds like I have to f with a bios setting...seriously? Tell me they don't expect the average user to mess with bios in order for their keyboard to work after a minor update.

While I agree that the process of upgrading to 8.1 is a lot more troublesome than it should be, it's really not a "minor update."

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Any recommendations for accessing extfs partitions from windows? Is write support reliable in any of the options out there?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'd follow Apple and not trust Windows for writing and only provision read-only access. Use ext2fsd and configure for read-only and perform writing in Ubuntu or whatever instead.

http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Quick, dumb question: Our IT department has changed the Windows Update settings so it's completely controlled by them (see attached) remotely. However, when I view the update history the only updates since September of last year are security definition updates for Microsoft Endpoint Protection. Is this normal or could there be a problem with my laptop not being updated? I'm running Window 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, build 7601).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Quick, dumb question: Our IT department has changed the Windows Update settings so it's completely controlled by them (see attached) remotely. However, when I view the update history the only updates since September of last year are security definition updates for Microsoft Endpoint Protection. Is this normal or could there be a problem with my laptop not being updated? I'm running Window 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, build 7601).

It appears that they are remiss in pushing out updates to your device, or that their update management software is misconfigured.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Window 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, build 7601).

Here's your first clue that things might not be as good as they should be.

With that kind of backwards thinking, it's entirely possible that they've got some WSUS configuration issues. Alternatively, they may only want to push specific packages. But making sure someone always checks what to push could be an easily overlooked job.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 22, 2014

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for an easy to use cloud-type system that will allow me to:
a) sync my class papers across computers
b) have a dedicated, private, storage dump for family photos that I can use to distribute to my parents/aunts&uncles/whoever after holidays or major events without them having to think.

From my research, it sounds like providers sync the content in shared folders across systems, so if I have a 5-10gig shared folder of family photos, it gets locally stored on everyone's computer: is that correct? If that's the case, forget it, I can't have my family bitching about me trying to share family events because they ran out of storage. And if that's the case, what's the most secure provider for personal small-use storage? Not that I'm worried about people stealing my crappy papers, but I've heard a lot of Dropbox, SpiderOak, & Copy, and I'm not sure which one would be the best to use.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm looking for an easy to use cloud-type system that will allow me to:
a) sync my class papers across computers
b) have a dedicated, private, storage dump for family photos that I can use to distribute to my parents/aunts&uncles/whoever after holidays or major events without them having to think.

From my research, it sounds like providers sync the content in shared folders across systems, so if I have a 5-10gig shared folder of family photos, it gets locally stored on everyone's computer: is that correct? If that's the case, forget it, I can't have my family bitching about me trying to share family events because they ran out of storage. And if that's the case, what's the most secure provider for personal small-use storage? Not that I'm worried about people stealing my crappy papers, but I've heard a lot of Dropbox, SpiderOak, & Copy, and I'm not sure which one would be the best to use.

Dropbox would be perfect, don't know about the others. You can generate links to photo albums that are folders in your Dropbox and send them to people who can view them in a nice photo viewer in their browser. Also they can't see your other files when you do this and they don't need to log in or download anything for it.

Edit: If I remember right they can even download the whole album as a zip file, too.

Ara fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 24, 2014

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
I have Vista on C: and Win 7 on H: (separate HD:s). I haven't used vista in years and would like to get rid of the old HD with vista on it. Problem is the master boot record is on C: which means that if I unplug it I can't boot into win 7... How do I solve this?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

MadlabsRobot posted:

I have Vista on C: and Win 7 on H: (separate HD:s). I haven't used vista in years and would like to get rid of the old HD with vista on it. Problem is the master boot record is on C: which means that if I unplug it I can't boot into win 7... How do I solve this?

Ah, that's exactly why we recommend unplugging all other drives when installing Windows 7.

I'm not actually sure, since I haven't run into the problem myself.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MadlabsRobot posted:

Pull the C: drive, boot to a Windows 7 disc and run Startup Repair. If you don't have a 7 disc, boot into Windows 7 and create a system repair disc (I think if you click start and type that in it will take you right to it)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Inspector_666 posted:

While I agree that the process of upgrading to 8.1 is a lot more troublesome than it should be, it's really not a "minor update."

that's true... it's a full service pack. I guess it just didn't feel like a lot was changed from an end-user perspective even though I'm sure there's a lot of compatibility work that was done behind the scenes. I haven't read the full release notes or anything.

When I typed that it was from my phone because my keyboard & mouse weren't working because of a seemingly innocuous patch, so I was a little frustrated.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Are there any system monitoring tools that have like a web interface or the ability to monitor remotely? I'd like to be able to check system temps, gpu temps, poo poo like that from anywhere.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trigonesoft.rsm seems like an option but I'm not sure what options there are.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 24, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ShaneB posted:

Are there any system monitoring tools that have like a web interface or the ability to monitor remotely? I'd like to be able to check system temps, gpu temps, poo poo like that from anywhere.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trigonesoft.rsm seems like an option but I'm not sure what options there are.

I think Speedfan allows this, though I've never tried it.

Weird thing: I had to stop using Speedfan because it was somehow interfering with how my Dell monitor works. The menus wouldn't work, and the display was very slow to turn on. I was pretty unhappy because I had just put together a new PC at considerable expense and did not look forward to having to pull out the credit card for a new monitor. Some desperate search engineing eventually turned up a tenuous connection between the behavior and Speedfan. Made no sense to me, but I removed the darn thing and the behavior disappeared.

In general, though, I've basically stopped worrying about temperatures so much because PC hardware is pretty good at handling what you throw at it if you're not overclocking and have a decent case setup.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

doctorfrog posted:

In general, though, I've basically stopped worrying about temperatures so much because PC hardware is pretty good at handling what you throw at it if you're not overclocking and have a decent case setup.

Yeah, this is kind of a specific scenario that pushes things pretty hard in my system. Also I overclock of course....

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

doctorfrog posted:

I think Speedfan allows this, though I've never tried it.

Weird thing: I had to stop using Speedfan because it was somehow interfering with how my Dell monitor works. The menus wouldn't work, and the display was very slow to turn on. I was pretty unhappy because I had just put together a new PC at considerable expense and did not look forward to having to pull out the credit card for a new monitor. Some desperate search engineing eventually turned up a tenuous connection between the behavior and Speedfan. Made no sense to me, but I removed the darn thing and the behavior disappeared.

I can't really tell for certain, but I also had my Dell U2311h become super slow to turn on and unresponsive to OSD buttons after using Speedfan for a while. Uninstalling it and unplugging the monitor for a while fixed it for me as well, so definitely something to keep in mind if you're using Ultrasharp monitors.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Microsoft's built in tool "resource monitor" (it's a button at the bottom of the performance tab of task manager) can measure/graph CPU temp and other stuff like ram, network, disk usage etc

It's designed to be used in a networked environment and if you have permissions set up correctly you can log in to the machine remotely and monitor it from another windows machine using resource monitor.

If it's anything like Microsoft's server administrator protocol it probably runs over HTTPS and there's probably a third party utility that supports it as well either for unix or android...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I have a support question that isn't large enough to warrant its own thread. I recently purchased a new USB wireless adapter to replace one that broke. It works fine but my PC recognizes the connection as "Wireless Network Connection 2." I tried renaming it to "1" but it forbids me because apparently the other network connection, the one used by the old USB adapter, still exists. How the hell do I delete it? Its not anywhere in the Network and Sharing Center in my Control Panel. I tried reinstalling the driver for my old adapter to see if I could disable it and that simply created a Wireless Network Connection 3!

This is using Windows 7 BTW.

beanofan69
Mar 26, 2005

by Ralp

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have a support question that isn't large enough to warrant its own thread. I recently purchased a new USB wireless adapter to replace one that broke. It works fine but my PC recognizes the connection as "Wireless Network Connection 2." I tried renaming it to "1" but it forbids me because apparently the other network connection, the one used by the old USB adapter, still exists. How the hell do I delete it? Its not anywhere in the Network and Sharing Center in my Control Panel. I tried reinstalling the driver for my old adapter to see if I could disable it and that simply created a Wireless Network Connection 3!

This is using Windows 7 BTW.

Perhaps this? http://blogs.technet.com/b/danstolt...-remove-it.aspx

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone know of some software that'll let me set the default sound device for individual software?

When I'm on Ventrilo playing games with friends I have voice chat play through my headphones and all other noise play through my speakers. I also like to listen to music, but they frequently request I turn it down to the point where I can't even hear it. I was hoping for something that'd let me tell Winamp / Chrome to play audio through my headset (for when I'm on voice chat) or my speakers easily (for when I'm not). I've got my speakers set as my Default Audio Device in Windows, and my headset as the Default Comm Device.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 26, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Ever since updating to 8.1 the onscreen keyboard appears at startup, I can't find a way to disable it from auto starting, any thoughts?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
nvm, sorted it

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 26, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sab669 posted:

Anyone know of some software that'll let me set the default sound device for individual software?
It does not exist, because that's not how poo poo works on Windows.

For Chrome, or any browser these days, you're poo poo out of luck. Winamp allows you to pick a playback device from its preferences panel. You could try installing an additional copy of Winamp in another folder with different settings and use that one exclusively dusing gaming, but I don't know for sure if that would work (it might use the most recent setting for both copies maybe). Installing another music player that allows you to set the playback device, like foobar or whatever, for use during gaming is going to be your most convenient workaround for that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Good enough for me. I'll just deal with local music only. Thanks.

edit; Good lord this looks like some sort of software a kid first learning winforms wrote. Oh well, if it works it works :)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 26, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Sab669 posted:

For what it's worth, I use a media player (J River Media Center) that can output to several cards at once, you just create them as different zones, no problem.

But it's spendy, and way more feature-rich than just this one use case calls for. There is probably other software that can just play to different outputs easily. (But obviously I don't know what they might be).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 26, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sab669 posted:

edit; Good lord this looks like some sort of software a kid first learning winforms wrote. Oh well, if it works it works :)
You can customize it out the Wazoo to look pretty if you like. Not for the faint hearted, though. Probably any other mediaplayer apart from WMP would work just as well, if it bothers you.

HalloKitty posted:

There is probably other software that can just play to different outputs easily.
I can't think of anything else, off the top of my head, but I've got to admit the last time I checked was maybe 5 years ago.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

Can anyone recommend a cheap/free scanner and OCR software package? I'd like to use my document feeder scanner to scan bills and whatnot, but I'm tired of 900meg pdfs.

Anybody know of a good Freeware (or cheap) tool that I can use to scan my docs into searchable PDFs?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So I am trying to set up my computer to output sound to multiple playback devices but not having much luck searching online for an answer. The situation is I have my pc speakers driven from an optical port out of my MoBo, I just ran an HDMI line through my wall so I can drive the TV in my living room and possibly play games through steam big picture mode etc, and I am running that out of my video card (it supports sound out HDMI). The issue I am running across is I can switch my sound output to either the optical or the TV speakers but not drive both simultaneously (I would like it for convenience so I can just switch the TV on and be ready to go without a switchover process).

Is there some function built in to windows that will allow me to do this?

Windows 7

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a copy of a homemade DVD that works on VLC 2.1.2 on my computer (Windows 8.1), but not on the same version of VLC on my wife's laptop (Windows 7). It played in WMP on her laptop. On my PS3, it would only play one random chapter; hitting either menu button just restarted that chapter. Neither the XBox 360 and Wii U would recognize the disc at all.

So, a couple questions. 1) Is there anything I can do to get this disc to play on the PS3? 2) If not, how can I make a copy of it that will work?

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Pull the C: drive, boot to a Windows 7 disc and run Startup Repair. If you don't have a 7 disc, boot into Windows 7 and create a system repair disc (I think if you click start and type that in it will take you right to it)

Thanks. Will this work if I put an win 7 msdnaa iso on a thumb drive and boot from that? And will this mess with my drive lettering? Yes, if I set the partition as active using windows disk management, unzip the iso onto a usb drive that has been made bootable and then run startup repair atleast twice. And it didn't even screw up my drive lettering...

MadlabsRobot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 29, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there a good freeish screen capture app? The people who run the CamStudio project have turned their installer into a spyware delivery vehicle that may or may not actually ever install CamStudio, and Camtasia is priced at crazy person levels.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm talking about this BTWhttp://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11130/restore-previous-versions-of-files-in-every-edition-of-windows-7/

Is there a way to have Windows still do its Restore Previous Versions backup thing but exclude certain folders from it? For example I don't want it to save old versions of my Sandboxie folder, it seems to me like its an all or nothing feature.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

Ever since updating to 8.1 the onscreen keyboard appears at startup, I can't find a way to disable it from auto starting, any thoughts?

still can't figure out how to get rid of the onscreen keyboard at startup, anybody have an idea?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Maneki Neko posted:

Is there a good freeish screen capture app? The people who run the CamStudio project have turned their installer into a spyware delivery vehicle that may or may not actually ever install CamStudio, and Camtasia is priced at crazy person levels.

Open Broadcaster Software can be used to save to a file. Might help

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

MMD3 posted:

still can't figure out how to get rid of the onscreen keyboard at startup, anybody have an idea?

You can't disable it from the Ease of Access page?

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Maneki Neko posted:

Just to record your screen? I've been using oCam at work a lot and have been content with it, and it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Maneki Neko posted:

Download 2.6 from sf.net, 2.7 seems to crash a lot.