Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Cheston posted:

These are very true!

Does AR/blood require a good blood focus? I have a 10.2 drop laying around (my rifle's 10.5).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Zhaan posted:

Does AR/blood require a good blood focus? I have a 10.2 drop laying around (my rifle's 10.5).

Blood ends up being more than half of overall damage, so yes, but it's probably not too big a loss if your drop has crit power.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Cheston posted:

Blood ends up being more than half of overall damage, so yes, but it's probably not too big a loss if your drop has crit power.

Yeah, for me its over two thirds. Your blood focus is more important than your AR.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I cannot believe there is a puzzle that involves being able to read sheet music. All know about music is that I enjoy listening to it. Even the wiki isn't helpful because it acts like you know how to read notes.

Unfair.com had a workable solution though. But good think I remembered something someone said a page or so back about statues.

And the game just scared the poo poo out of me by having my phone ring.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 19, 2014

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Finally got round to finishing Black Sun, Red Sand and getting insulted by a disembodied voice for five minutes :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh god the quest i got when i reached Illuminati level 2 nearly made me poop my pants.

Didn't realize because I bought the game through steam there was a bunch of items available for free in the shop. Now i have a kitty, a cool steam tshirt and hoodie, and some bonus items that speed up xp gain.

I also played around with assembly and glyphs. Figured I needed to do something with the piles of metal and stuff i had sitting in my bag.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 19, 2014

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
Can somebody post a good Blood/Ele build?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Just bought this and I'm currently downloading it. Which goon guild has the most active playerbase? Please say Illuminati, please say Illuminati..

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Just bought this and I'm currently downloading it. Which goon guild has the most active playerbase? Please say Illuminati, please say Illuminati..

No organized goon presence, just play Illuminati.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Mumble last I checked. The goon cabals pretty much died a month after launch.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
So there's no organized goon presence, just a couple of guys grouping up once in a while? Lame.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Noctis Horrendae posted:

So there's no organized goon presence, just a couple of guys grouping up once in a while? Lame.

Glad I didn't bite.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fuzz posted:

Glad I didn't bite.

It still is a fun, free singleplayer game. It's just the endgame content is dead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It still is a fun, free singleplayer game. It's just the endgame content is dead.

This. I had a blast with everything before the endgame content. But once you hit endgame it's just a tedious grind to get bigger numbers. The story bits are pretty good and you can tell Ragnar really thought out the world before leaving it in the hands of The rear end in a top hat. There isn't a real goon presence anymore because there hasn't been enough content to bring anyone back. The issues (except 8) are all fairly short but expand on the background going into Tokyo quite a bit.

Issue 8 was Funcoms attempt at giving us endgame players something to do. They introduced a system that adds some tweaks to abilities but they locked it behind a 15 minute wave defense. I personally thought it was garbage but still have my fingers crossed they add new scenarios thta are fun.

Don't disregard the game just because a large portion of the goons who played since launch hit the end game a year ago and got bored. There's enough new players who picked the game up in recent steam sales you guys could form a cabal of your own. Honestly I would say it would be a good idea seeing as the lumi cabal is over 500 people most of which stopped signing in three months after launch.

Edit: But that one guy is starfleet dental so he might care about the griefing aspects of TSW. There aren't any.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, definitely don't discount the game because of the lack of Goons. It's really, really fun as a single player game and group stuff is just an added bonus.

Last night, I had to use the in-game browser to decode letters with a Caeser Cipher, then translate hieroglyphs of rulers' names. There is nothing like this game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm rank 3, I think nearing the end of the Kingsmouth content, and I definitely need some help. I'm at the point where I'm poking around Priest Island and the airstrip, and the bigger mobs there are conning a friendly skull.

More importantly, I have only a faint idea of what I'm doing with the mechanics. Right now I'm solo (I know) pistols with an undoubtedly lovely build, and mostly I've been getting by on mission rewards and the blue guns I bought from the Venetians. I've barely touched the crafting-- few things at this level seem to have slots, and I wasn't sure if it was worth the hassle to deal with low-level gear and materials.

If anyone could give me suggestions on a build to drag my sorry butt toward, and the same for gear and such, I'd appreciate it. I'm just looking to level and solo, so I've been picking up DPS-looking stuff.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah, definitely don't discount the game because of the lack of Goons. It's really, really fun as a single player game and group stuff is just an added bonus.

Last night, I had to use the in-game browser to decode letters with a Caeser Cipher, then translate hieroglyphs of rulers' names. There is nothing like this game.

Absolutely. I haven't grouped with anyone yet, and I couldn't really care less. The story is great and it's quite fun as a single player game. I've only just started, but I had a quest where I was supposed to decipher Morse Code. There's some satisfaction to completing a quest without online guides, but there was no way that I was going to do that quest myself. It's actually really hard to break the mindset of just googling your way through quests, but if you actively try to figure them out yourself, it's immensely fun.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
Endgame is fine IMO. It's grindy as gently caress though but that's been the case in every MMO I've played. I finally got my last set (healing) 10.4.4'ed on Saturday and my dps set is halfway 10.5 and I'm beginning to find my interest in the game waning a bit. But it's still fun to do dungeons from time to time if you happen to find a good group.

edit: Just realized I've spent over 5500 bullions on custom gear. I have no life.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 20, 2014

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Why was that one goon recommending Illuminati? Am I missing out playing as the asians? (I've only gotten a little into zombietown)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mad Wack posted:

Why was that one goon recommending Illuminati? Am I missing out playing as the asians? (I've only gotten a little into zombietown)

The Illuminati handler is the generally accepted best handler. She has more personality than Sonnac and is just more fun (for me and others. Although Cheston and Raiser will stand by Dragon) than the Dragon handler.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Cool I'll give illuminati a spin thanks.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I started out using Blood Magic and I'm starting to get my rear end handed to me so I'm considering using Assault Rifles or Swords together with it since they seem to work well with Blood.

Where do I buy weapons or find the things to make a weapon?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
You can go back to your faction's weapon training room and get a QL0 of any weapon, or buy weapons from the Council of Venice vendors.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

The Illuminati handler is the generally accepted best handler. She has more personality than Sonnac and is just more fun (for me and others. Although Cheston and Raiser will stand by Dragon) than the Dragon handler.
I know I'm in the minority, but I genuinely like Sonnac's budget suave. I don't know why.

Len posted:

The story bits are pretty good and you can tell Ragnar really thought out the world before leaving it in the hands of The rear end in a top hat.
I was watching a documentary on ancient egypt last night and I learned that Akhenaten was an actual pharaoh, known as the Heretic Pharaoh because he rejected polytheism and worshipped only Aten, the sun disc. I'd assumed he was just someone they'd made up for the game but no, it turns out I was learning history without realising it. Well played Ragnar.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
That is a thing I like about the game. They generally do pull a lot of real-world history into the mix and put the Secret World spin on them for the investigation missions. It was like stealth edutainment.

Also apparently edutainment is a real word according to my spellchecker.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

... Where do I buy weapons or find the things to make a weapon?

In addition to what UrbanLabyrinth said, you can also buy cheap level appropriate weapons from the auction houses in London. One is at the post office across from the agartha entrance, the other is in the bank.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You also need at least one SP in at least one track of your chosen weapon to be able to use it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

You also need at least one SP in at least one track of your chosen weapon to be able to use it.

Huh? A QL0 shouldn't... or do you mean AP for its attacks? Because I was able to equip my assault rifle before getting a single ability or skill, but I couldn't shoot with it until I grabbed Safety Off, and I certainly can't use higher QL rifles.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Help, I can't stop training up poo poo I'm not going to use just to get outfits. :negative:

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

Kitfox88 posted:

Help, I can't stop training up poo poo I'm not going to use just to get outfits. :negative:

Don't worry. You'll eventually train everything.

And then get more AP and what not and you'll have to go through wave defense for things to spend it on.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

This is me a thousand times - I'm playing this for the first time but I can't help but play dress-up.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Pinely posted:

Admittedly, I've cheated several times. Morse code is involved at one point and I spent about a half an hour trying to learn morse code and just said gently caress it. I think everyone has a point where they're like "alright, I'm going to hit unfair.co or the wiki". I spent a ton of time on the cipher because that just sucked me right in and I didn't want to cheat, whereas my friend cheated on that bit but loved the morse code (apparently Boy Scouts learn morse code).

I couldn't jot down the beeps (if I remember correctly) fast enough for that one, so I actually downloaded Audacity and captured the in-game sound and looked at the waveform to figure out the dots and dashes. That is probably the most work I've ever done for video game points.

It's a shame about this game that it seems to be on life support now. It had great promise since it was so novel and different from WoW in terms of setting and visual style and the freeform character building, but at the same time not too different in the traditional core mechanics of PVE-based MMOs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mad Wack posted:

This is me a thousand times - I'm playing this for the first time but I can't help but play dress-up.

That's really one of the best things in the game. As far as I know I'm the only goon who has all the clothes from Pangaea. Part of the fun is trying to see what causes glitches.

Patience
Jul 1, 2006
Success on someone else's terms don't mean a fucking thing.

Bieeardo posted:

I'm rank 3, I think nearing the end of the Kingsmouth content, and I definitely need some help. I'm at the point where I'm poking around Priest Island and the airstrip, and the bigger mobs there are conning a friendly skull.

More importantly, I have only a faint idea of what I'm doing with the mechanics. Right now I'm solo (I know) pistols with an undoubtedly lovely build, and mostly I've been getting by on mission rewards and the blue guns I bought from the Venetians. I've barely touched the crafting-- few things at this level seem to have slots, and I wasn't sure if it was worth the hassle to deal with low-level gear and materials.

If anyone could give me suggestions on a build to drag my sorry butt toward, and the same for gear and such, I'd appreciate it. I'm just looking to level and solo, so I've been picking up DPS-looking stuff.

The airstrip has a number of differently ranked mobs clustered in a small area. Most are around 2-3, but there are some rank ten (SE corner, in a sort of paddock area) & Nightmare level mobs if you push out further.

I enjoyed crafting my way up, but you can always buy weapons and talismans from the Auction house or find blues in a level appropriate dungeon if you prefer. You end up progressing through talismans & weapons pretty quickly simply by leveling. Not sure what you mean by slots, glyphs?

You should probably pick up a second weapon at some point. If you do it early it adds to weapon synergy, and you can build some pretty interesting (and perhaps even useful) builds. Pistols are pretty good DPS on their own, but don't overlook some of the tree's survivability in the form of drone abilities. They can keep you healed up, which is pretty important when you solo. Mostly, find a build that works for you. You will end up buying many abilities that you may never use; possibly because it is as a means to progress or because you have the AP to burn towards that deck outfit.

Maybe look into Blade for survivability or Elementalism for DPS.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Len posted:

That's really one of the best things in the game. As far as I know I'm the only goon who has all the clothes from Pangaea. Part of the fun is trying to see what causes glitches.

I am too lazy to use my PAX to go through every store. It's like 100 million to buy everything, isn't it? I have like 118.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zhaan posted:

I am too lazy to use my PAX to go through every store. It's like 100 million to buy everything, isn't it? I have like 118.

I don't know I never did the math because it's ridiculous how much it costs.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
Well PAX isn't really a universally recognized currency, so naturally, the vendors are gonna try and gouge you. What are you gonna do, go to Wal-Mart or something?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I wish I could afford those fancy clothes but alas I am a poor Solomon Island townie with but a hat, an Innsmouth jacket, and a dream.

Also, this jacket owns. Achievements give some pretty great items!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zhaan posted:

You'd be running closer to maybe 20 mil, since I think each vendor in Ealdwic averages about three million for the whole catalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Patience posted:

The airstrip has a number of differently ranked mobs clustered in a small area. Most are around 2-3, but there are some rank ten (SE corner, in a sort of paddock area) & Nightmare level mobs if you push out further.

I enjoyed crafting my way up, but you can always buy weapons and talismans from the Auction house or find blues in a level appropriate dungeon if you prefer. You end up progressing through talismans & weapons pretty quickly simply by leveling. Not sure what you mean by slots, glyphs?

You should probably pick up a second weapon at some point. If you do it early it adds to weapon synergy, and you can build some pretty interesting (and perhaps even useful) builds. Pistols are pretty good DPS on their own, but don't overlook some of the tree's survivability in the form of drone abilities. They can keep you healed up, which is pretty important when you solo. Mostly, find a build that works for you. You will end up buying many abilities that you may never use; possibly because it is as a means to progress or because you have the AP to burn towards that deck outfit.

Maybe look into Blade for survivability or Elementalism for DPS.

Thanks for this. The 'con' system kept throwing me for a loop, since other games often use a skull shape beside a critter's name to signal 'not a chance' and TSW uses it as part of an in-level ranking system. I made it through the rest of the solo Kingsmouth content, I think, and now I'm muddling around near the beginning of the Savage Coast.

A build guide on the official forums pointed me toward blades, and that's really working out well for me. It's a lot quieter than Pistols, and having both a PBAOE builder and consumer early on is a huge benefit when dealing with those annoying swarms of zombies. Splash of pistols still helps too.

And sorry, nomenclature goof on my end. By 'slots' I meant 'glyphs'. Hadn't found a lot of stuff with space for glyphs, so I haven't really poked at the crafting system much.

• Locked thread