Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Bullock is reportedly Donal Logue. Amazing news for me and the other Terriers fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Heathen posted:

Maybe Marvel is letting things slide because

Marvel is owned by Disney now, Disney doesn't "let things slide" when it comes to IP rights.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

jscolon2.0 posted:

Bullock is reportedly Donal Logue. Amazing news for me and the other Terriers fan.

I like this, but this is no guarantee the show won't blow. He was on Sons of Anarchy. It does seem like a great role for him.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That is probably one of the best uses of Donal Logue I can think of.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

I don't know poo poo about the situation, but I guarantee you being nice has nothing to do with it

And yet Marvel was willing to give FOX an extension on the Daredevil franchise in exchange for Galactus and Silver Surfer.

Furthermore, I never said Marvel was being nice, I said they were letting it slide. If they have no immediate need for Namor why press the issue? Especially when there exists the possibility that they can get him back for nothing? Disney didn't buy back the rights to Daredevil, Punisher or Ghost Rider.

Lurdiak posted:

Marvel is owned by Disney now, Disney doesn't "let things slide" when it comes to IP rights.

I'm well aware Disney owns Marvel and they have all the money in the world, but they can't buy the rights back if the studio doesn't want to sell. See: Spider-Man. See: X-Men.

My point was perhaps Universal was following along the X Movie every Y Amount of Time formula, but then they were bought out by NBC who in turn was bought out by Comcast. It has nothing to do with corporate pleasantries or money, but rather movie rights changing hands twice in eight years has so far prevented them from finishing a movie.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Heathen posted:

I'm well aware Disney owns Marvel and they have all the money in the world, but they can't buy the rights back if the studio doesn't want to sell. See: Spider-Man. See: X-Men.

Actually Disney purposely sold extension rights to Sony for Spider-Man in exchange for some TV animation rights when Spider-Man 4 wasn't going to happen. Spider-Man doesn't have an "as long as you're making films deal". :flashfact:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Waterhaul posted:

Actually Disney purposely sold extension rights to Sony for Spider-Man in exchange for some TV animation rights when Spider-Man 4 wasn't going to happen. Spider-Man doesn't have an "as long as you're making films deal". :flashfact:

So is it a time limit then? I almost feel like they should have let the movie rights lapse and said gently caress it to the TV rights, which they have proceeded to do nothing but make an incredibly mediocre at best children's cartoon with. I highly doubt it makes them more money than rolling Spidey into the MCU would have.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

So is it a time limit then? I almost feel like they should have let the movie rights lapse and said gently caress it to the TV rights, which they have proceeded to do nothing but make an incredibly mediocre at best children's cartoon with. I highly doubt it makes them more money than rolling Spidey into the MCU would have.

While the movies may have clearly established Iron Man, Thor, and Cap as big names for people to go see in the films, I don't know if that has easily translated into television or animation so Spider-Man and X-Men may be more necessary to carry animation franchises.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Angry Walrus posted:

Somewhere, on the Disney lots, the sets and props for The Rocketeer still remain, waiting for the day they will once more be called upon to appear in front of the camera...

I loved that movie as a kid. :3:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

ToastyPotato posted:

I would presume there would be some form of time limit but I know that it was for at least 6 more films including Amazing and Amazing 2. I'm sure when they are up Disney/Marvel will accept the chunk of money Sony throw at them.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I am a little more than halfway through the first season of Arrow and it is almost disgusting how much it has outclassed every aspect of Agents of Shield so far. The writing is so much tighter that its gross. It manages to have mysteries that are gradually and continuously explored through each episode, as opposed to simply being referenced so that the show can hurry up and go no where with a mostly filler plot. It's new characters seem far more interesting than AoS ones, and it has already made liberal use of more actual comic characters than SHIELD has in as many episodes, even if some of them have been wasted. From what I hear though, there is no shortage of them in upcoming episodes for me.

It really kind of throws most of the defenses of AoS out the window. AoS is just a badly managed show. There really isn't anything to it. I hope they shake up the writing staff for season two. AoS did take a turn for the better in the last couple of eps, and maybe the "back nine" will be a huge improvement. We'll see.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Didn't want to being up comics chat in the TVIV Arrow thread, but does DA Spencer mean anything to anyone? Could it possible be this character who I had never heard of until someone in io9's comment section pointed it out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunter_(Kate_Spencer)#Fictional_character_biography

Also, how many non-JL teams have had more than one member appear on Arrow as of the most recent episode?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hi liter posted:

Didn't want to being up comics chat in the TVIV Arrow thread, but does DA Spencer mean anything to anyone? Could it possible be this character who I had never heard of until someone in io9's comment section pointed it out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunter_(Kate_Spencer)#Fictional_character_biography

Also, how many non-JL teams have had more than one member appear on Arrow as of the most recent episode?

The Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad have both had multiple members appear on Arrow. And the spoilered character certainly had that job in the comics, and is at about the level WB/DC seem to be happy letting the show play in, so it's pretty plausible.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

hi liter posted:

Remember though that the show does do homage names but then drastically reinterprets the character (namely Sin, Yao Fei, Ivo, Shado, Blood, Lyla, etc.)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I kind of appreciated the episode where they had the Royal Flush gang.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The show's also been pretty good at trying to do comics-esque costumes when they feel they can do so inside their aesthetic. Ollie's outfit, the Canary costume, Merlyn and the League of Assassin gear, Deathstroke, Deadshot, even China White and the Huntress are all pretty close to the comics, or would be recognisable takes by an artist.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Heathen posted:

And yet Marvel was willing to give FOX an extension on the Daredevil franchise in exchange for Galactus and Silver Surfer.

This is called "negotiation."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

hi liter posted:

With the Flash series I am so ready for the Rogue's Gallery :getin:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

For those still watching SHIELD (I think it's gotten a million times better, personally), J. August Richards' character is officially Deathlok, which is not what I expected but pretty rad.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Little Mac posted:

For those still watching SHIELD (I think it's gotten a million times better, personally), J. August Richards' character is officially Deathlok, which is not what I expected but pretty rad.

I am perfectly fine with this as long as he bitches to/at 'puter on a regular basis.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Little Mac posted:

For those still watching SHIELD (I think it's gotten a million times better, personally), J. August Richards' character is officially Deathlok,

wait sweet jeebus

I might start watching this again

at least for that episode

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 24, 2014

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
They better at least try to make him look a little bit like a robot zombie monster. I don't even remember much about the character, but I thought he was so cool looking when I was a kid, I turned an extra Robocop toy into Dethlok. Then a month later, Toy Biz came out with their figure.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sleepingbuddha posted:

They better at least try to make him look a little bit like a robot zombie monster. I don't even remember much about the character, but I thought he was so cool looking when I was a kid, I turned an extra Robocop toy into Dethlok. Then a month later, Toy Biz came out with their figure.

Mike got all hosed up in the explosion, losing a leg and getting his face all mangled and melted. He's not gonna be pretty when they've finished patching him together.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 24, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah if you were confusing that promo picture with how he'll look a Dethlok, that was from earlier in the season.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Mike got all hosed up in the explosion, losing a leg and getting his face all mangled and melted. He's not gonna be pretty when they've finished patching him together.

It's so hard to believe a superhero/sci fi show would actually go to the trouble of making something cool and inhuman look cool and inhuman. There's so many examples in the last 15 years of people putting an attractive 20-something in a black form-fitting athletic suit and saying they're a robot, alien or superhero.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Lurdiak posted:

It's so hard to believe a superhero/sci fi show would actually go to the trouble of making something cool and inhuman look cool and inhuman. There's so many examples in the last 15 years of people putting an attractive 20-something in a black form-fitting athletic suit and saying they're a robot, alien or superhero.

It's all marketing, all the time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
J. August Richards is relatively handsome, but I don't think he's model attractive, or twenty something for that matter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As someone said, Agents of Shield: Making lots of villains, no heroes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

twistedmentat posted:

As someone said, Agents of Shield: Making lots of villains, no heroes.

Dethlok was always kind of an anti-hero, right? Or am I thinking of Death's Head...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Medullah posted:

Dethlok was always kind of an anti-hero, right? Or am I thinking of Death's Head...

Deathlock is an anti-hero. I assume he will be programed to go against them, but he will fight it and join them. There is also a chance he will kill a member before he turns.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

Deathlock is an anti-hero. I assume he will be programed to go against them, but he will fight it and join them. There is also a chance he will kill a member before he turns.

Which ruins Deathlock's hook that the robot parts are the good personality and the human inside is homicidal and mostly evil.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

hi liter posted:

It's not really a spoiler since they've been in a few episodes already but yes they are that character.

Also the Slade moment in this weeks episode was such a great reveal.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SirDan3k posted:

Which ruins Deathlock's hook that the robot parts are the good personality and the human inside is homicidal and mostly evil.

Looking at the history most of Deathlock's human parts are good.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Waterhaul posted:

Also the Slade moment in this weeks episode was such a great reveal.

That outfit!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

Looking at the history most of Deathlock's human parts are good.

It'd been so long since anyone had touched Deathlock I had forgotten his non-x-force iterations. Guess they just weren't very memorable to me.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

LorneReams posted:

That outfit!

Indeed :allears:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

LorneReams posted:

That outfit!

Seriously. I was expecting it to be pretty bad after seeing his original costume in Season 1 but the managed to really nail it for the Arrow universe without it looking too cheap.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think the mask is pretty cheap, but the rest of the costume I can totally buy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love how thick and heavy it looks, like he's wearing an entire tac squad's worth of armor and gear. It's something that only a serum-enhanced supersoldier could wear and still move so quickly in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm guessing representations of Slade that we have seen in stuff like Arkham Origins and Injustice and in the comics and cartoons in general, I guess, are anatomically impossible? Well the head gear, I mean. Well I suppose normally it would be a mask and those never look the same in real life, but in Arkham origins, its actually a helmet looking thing. Here it looks a bit over sized, but I am wondering if that is because when video games give him a helmet, they essentially shrink his head so the helmet doesn't look big.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 25, 2014