Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Hang on... so really Steam has to be out of program files? I have steam in program filesx86 on my SSD. If it does have to be outside of program files, is there any chance this could be added to the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

El Grillo posted:

Hang on... so really Steam has to be out of program files? I have steam in program filesx86 on my SSD. If it does have to be outside of program files, is there any chance this could be added to the OP?

It doesn't HAVE to be. I have Skyrim in my program files because really, gently caress moving it, things work just fine. Sure, it's not optimal or the most stable, but it works well enough for me. IF you're doing a fresh install, obviously switch it out of there but really.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Apoplexy posted:

I already bought the game. I don't have the money to buy it again, though, even when it was cheap over the big sale last month.

It is literally impossible to play a legitimate, up to date, non-pirated, PC-compatible copy of Skyrim without Steam.

(Edited just in case someone decides to be pedantic by mentioning the console versions.)

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 19, 2014

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Moving Skyrim out of Program Files is a Mod Organizer thing. The more I read the thread, the more I kind of agree with that guy with the hate-on for all the love Mod Organizer gets in the thread. It is a great tool for advanced users, but too much for someone starting out.

Is it just me getting lucky, or is the Nexus actually working properly now? I was able to get the new version of Immersive Armors on the first try with no problem. Great work Hoth, if you still read this thread.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
No one should ever, ever install things into program files if using Win 7 or 8. It's a big no-no and Microsoft didn't really warn people all that well and mention that unlike previous OSes Program Files is specially protected.

I just moved my steam files to c:/Steam and that was that. I have the same set-up for GOG games and such. It has nothing to do with Mod Organizer, Steam, or Skyrim. It's something that changed in Win7 and 8.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

grrarg posted:

Moving Skyrim out of Program Files is a Mod Organizer thing.

Actually it's more a mod manager thing. NMM, Boss, and Bash all don't like that because they have to fight with UAC to get mods into place. It's good practice to install anything where you'll be directly adding to or changing the core files outside of Program Files and other UAC protected directories.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So I installed that fix and it's pretty boss but never had ENB before that; so had to install that as well. The memory fix thing appears to have made the game a lot more stable, and I guess ENBoost appears to have improved my framerate which is also a plus (I'm not actually using any of the graphics upgrades its all turned off).

I have a problem thought where interior waters will do this constant flicker back and forth, from normal looking to something that looks like the gamma was cranked up. No idea whats causing it, any ideas?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

grrarg posted:

Moving Skyrim out of Program Files is a Mod Organizer thing. The more I read the thread, the more I kind of agree with that guy with the hate-on for all the love Mod Organizer gets in the thread. It is a great tool for advanced users, but too much for someone starting out.

No, it should tell you never loving install poo poo in Program Files. Microsoft has hosed that up ever since Vista. I installed Steam in an outside directory, MO in an outside directory, and surprise! It loving works without issue.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Well, I moved my Steam directory out of Program Files and BOSS was now able to detect Skyrim, so that's something.
Didn't fix my problem with some of the texture packs not applying though, which is just really loving annoying now.
e: welp mod organizer isn't picking up links from nexus now either

As for mod organizer - I have to agree that although on the face of it it seems like a great tool, it can massively complicate poo poo.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea I pretty much have a "Not Program Files" directory that I place everything that isn't preinstalled with the OS or REALLY requires it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I have never had problems installing things to program files. Turn off UAC. Done.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Crow posted:

I have never had problems installing things to program files. Turn off UAC. Done.

Never follow this advice.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

I have a problem thought where interior waters will do this constant flicker back and forth, from normal looking to something that looks like the gamma was cranked up. No idea whats causing it, any ideas?

I had an issue at one time where the water pretty much everywhere looked like the texture was "doubling" and flickering as you described. Turns out it was a driver issue and clean uninstalling my drivers and reinstalling them fixed the problem.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Technogeek posted:

Slightly less bad advice: Set any shortcut to a program you've installed in Program Files to "Run as Administrator". You'll get a stupid prompt every time you want to run the thing, and Windows will put the stupid UAC shield over the icon for the program, but this should eliminate most of the bullshit caused by Program Files being protected.

Seriously though, just don't install games or other poo poo to Program Files.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Ernie Muppari posted:

Slightly less bad advice: Set any shortcut to a program you've installed in Program Files to "Run as Administrator". You'll get a stupid prompt every time you want to run the thing, and Windows will put the stupid UAC shield over the icon for the program, but this should eliminate most of the bullshit caused by Program Files being protected.

Still wouldn't recommend that for web browsers and the like, but that should be fine for most single-player games. (Although I'd still go with "install outside Program Files" just in case.)

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

El Grillo posted:

e: welp mod organizer isn't picking up links from nexus now either

I think this is because Nexus has been making GBS threads the bed for quite a while now.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Technogeek posted:

How come, malware? I turn UAC off when I first install my OS and I don't want to be clicking it a million times. But it wouldn't hurt to turn it on now. I always run my profile as administrator though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Technogeek posted:

Sure, if you're a child and don't know how to use a computer, or browse the internet.

Ularg posted:

How come, malware? I turn UAC off when I first install my OS and I don't want to be clicking it a million times. But it wouldn't hurt to turn it on now. I always run my profile as administrator though.

This is exactly why. But again, if you have any idea how a computer works and aren't a :tinfoil: sperg, it doesn't do anything. I can't even remember the last time I had a virus or malware. If you're going to get 'hacked' it's going to be through browser and website vulnerabilities which UAC is going to do nothing about. Besides the fact that it does pretty much nothing to stop malware anyway.

Lastly it's not going to stop the human brain from mindlessly paroting and click 'yes' to run it on applications they normally run or expect to run and not be infected, which is what WILL be infected if you are, so again, it does nothing.

It's a lovely security feature for your grandparents and other people that don't have a clue about computers or the internet.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 20, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Most American servers seem to be functional but everywhere else freaks out.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I had an issue at one time where the water pretty much everywhere looked like the texture was "doubling" and flickering as you described. Turns out it was a driver issue and clean uninstalling my drivers and reinstalling them fixed the problem.

I'm kind of getting this vibe as well which is irritating, I hate trying to find new drivers that aren't lovely (also nothing guaranteeing it's a driver issue, since it only showed up with ENB). It's also a slow process.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Crow posted:

This is exactly why. But again, if you have any idea how a computer works and aren't a :tinfoil: sperg, it doesn't do anything. I can't even remember the last time I had a virus or malware. If you're going to get 'hacked' it's going to be through browser and website vulnerabilities which UAC is going to do nothing about. Besides the fact that it does pretty much nothing to stop malware anyway.

That's the default setting, which is basically "try to automatically approve whenever it's probably something safe". It's nothing more than proof that there's always a balance between security and usability, and those default settings (which I always crank up to Vista-level because I'm not someone who goes into total freakout mode every time I get a UAC prompt) are probably a little too far on the side of the latter.

Regardless, you're still a moron if you turn off UAC. Go to this thread, then tell them you have a new Linux install and want to run everything as root. They'll call you an idiot, and you'll deserve it.

There is no difference between that and turning off UAC, only on Windows you're more likely to run into a virus-infected advertisement that's coded for your OS. Which you obviously never have to worry about on any reputable websites. Certainly not the very one you're posting on!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Ernie Muppari posted:

So I'm pretty terrible at this poo poo, and this in particular is news to me. Can I just shift steam and everything in it to a new directory outside of program files? Would it require reinstalling all that poo poo, or could I just verify game caches or whatever?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mr. Crow posted:

It's a lovely security feature for your grandparents and other people that don't have a clue about computers or the internet.

Ha, I've gotten calls from my grandmother to run over and fix her broken computer when she was only talking about UAC popping up.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

So I'm pretty terrible at this poo poo, and this in particular is news to me. Can I just shift steam and everything in it to a new directory outside of program files? Would it require reinstalling all that poo poo, or could I just verify game caches or whatever?

You should be pretty easily able to just cut and paste the Steam directory, but I'm just making a guess on that. I've heard the backup feature in Steam itself is pretty wonky. You'll have to go through anything non-steam related that links to steam in some way and relink them. Like directory paths for MO and such.

Right now on C:/ I have Program Files by itself with all of the basic and super important Windows things and then I have Games, Other Programs, and inside Games I have "Game Programs" for stuff like Fraps.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

You can put Steam somewhere else (though you would have to reinstall/re-download some things unless you're up for dealing with piles of broken shortcuts and references), but IIRC Steam is supposed to edit permissions for everything so that you don't have to worry about anything needing admin privileges to change anything in the Steam folder. "Install programs outside of Program Files" is really more of a guideline for the future, unless you're already planning to reinstall things then just remembering that any program that needs to modify stuff in Program Files is very likely to need to be "Run as Administrator" (even if your user account is the admin account) to work correctly should get you through a lot of "program X doesn't work" problems you might have in Windows.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Mad Archivist posted:

No, it should tell you never loving install poo poo in Program Files. Microsoft has hosed that up ever since Vista. I installed Steam in an outside directory, MO in an outside directory, and surprise! It loving works without issue.

I guess I'm the only person in the world who installs to Program Files(x86) and has had zero problems with Steam or any games in my Steam directory. For stuff that's not tied to Steam from unreliable third parties? Yeah, all that poo poo goes into folders from the C:\ root directory.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Steam Support has you covered.

Ernie Muppari posted:

You can put Steam somewhere else (though you would have to reinstall/re-download some things unless you're up for dealing with piles of broken shortcuts and references), but IIRC Steam is supposed to edit permissions for everything so that you don't have to worry about anything needing admin privileges to change anything in the Steam folder. "Install programs outside of Program Files" is really more of a guideline for the future, unless you're already planning to reinstall things then just remembering that any program that needs to modify stuff in Program Files is very likely to need to be "Run as Administrator" (even if your user account is the admin account) to work correctly should get you through a lot of "program X doesn't work" problems you might have in Windows.

That's only for stuff that Steam installs, doesn't really fly with user generated mods and mod managers.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

That's only for stuff that Steam installs, doesn't really fly with user generated mods and mod managers.

I'll take your word for it, it's been years since I had games on my C: drive so I'm just going by what I remember.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

grrarg posted:

As someone else mentioned the program files folder is a mod tool thing (for pretty much every game too). Trying to use skse/BOSS/tesedit/skyproc/nifscope/anything else that messes with stuff inside program files has a very high chance of loving up if you are in program files. What they do looks a lot like what malware does so windows tries to protect you. Depending on exactly what you do it might not come up or it might gently caress you continuously.

I understand MO seems super complicated starting out but modding without it doesn't avoid the complexity, it just shifts it to be harder to see and fix when you gently caress it up. The other mod managers have serious usability issues as well that you can't fix by educating yourself. Wrye bash is slow as gently caress and NMM has repeatedly had issues with files and whole installs being deleted for no reason. As soon as you want to go from bare bones mods to slightly complicated MO becomes amazing and everything else makes you want to die.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LtSmash posted:

As soon as you want to go from bare bones mods to slightly complicated MO becomes amazing and everything else makes you want to die.

:smithicide: My recent 12-hour FCOM install...

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So as an FYI, Hoth just pushed out a HUGE update to Immersive Armors. It's v7, and holy gently caress, just watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTZNu7c5_9s

So not only does it expand with even more awesome armors, it gets an MCM menu that lets you dynamically distribute the loving things throughout the game, which is FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE. If you want to see people wearing Alduin Scale armors, you can, but you can even just loving remove that poo poo from the game entirely simply by clicking a button. It's pretty loving awesome, to be honest.

Meanwhile, the guy behind ENB has apparently worked even crazier voodoo and seemingly has solved Skyrim's memory issues. How? I don't loving know, but this Reddit thread has the details. Basically, you either have to download one of the pre-compiled SKSE .dll from that link, or compile that poo poo yourself, and then create/edit the SKSE.ini file to get it to work. Read the thread, it explains everything.

The effect is that someone like me, who has Skyrim modded to hell and back should see very few, if any, CTDs/infinite loading screens due to memory limitations. That's supposedly what's going on there. I have tried it for about 15 minutes, and while Skyrim is normally really temperamental it seems to have been calmed. I can't confirm EVERYTHING of what's being claimed, but it hasn't made my system explode or anything, so that's good.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 20, 2014

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

King Vidiot posted:

I guess I'm the only person in the world who installs to Program Files(x86) and has had zero problems with Steam or any games in my Steam directory.

Nah, i've never had any issues either. Not really sure what all of these weirdos are talking about :confused:

I'm also really loving the whole "you're dumb if you turn off UAC because of ~reasons~, so what you wanna do is just circumvent UAC instead."

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 20, 2014

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Nah, i've never had any issues either. Not really sure what all of these weirdos are talking about :confused:

I'm also really loving the whole "you're dumb if you turn off UAC because of ~reasons~, so what you wanna do is just circumvent UAC instead."

It depends on what you're trying to do in program files. Running a steam game and what-not is fine but skyproc or other 3rd party programs will yell at you if you try to. It's Microsoft's way of cutting down on unauthorized programs running themselves from the program files folders.

Moving the install out of Program files means you move it away from the core files in program files into a separate folder that is maintained and made by the user itself. There is no circumventing going on. It's exactly what Microsoft wants people to do to combat viruses and malware and is fairly effective.

You can still install into the program files and turn off UAC but it's like leaving the front door to your house unlocked. There's always a good chance nothing will happen but if it does you'll want to make sure things are compartmentalized and locked away for security.

Someone in the tech threads can probably answer way more better (and accurate) than I can and it's really, really useful to know all these things. It can greatly increase security on your computer.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Having further tested the stability of Skyrim with the changed .dll I posted about... and holy poo poo it works! It really loving works! I'm not talking reduced crashing or anything, I'm talking ELIMINATED crashing. Period. No crashes. 200+ mods, not a single crash or infinite loading screen. This is madness!

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Gonkish posted:

Having further tested the stability of Skyrim with the changed .dll I posted about... and holy poo poo it works! It really loving works! I'm not talking reduced crashing or anything, I'm talking ELIMINATED crashing. Period. No crashes. 200+ mods, not a single crash or infinite loading screen. This is madness!

That sounds amazing. I'll have to try it later.

I've seen some people speculating that this might also allow for larger-scale battles. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Apparently some people have done crazy poo poo like install a pile o' NPC-adding mods and run them all together, with varying levels of success.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What does this fix mean for people with only a few mods?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Ularg posted:

What does this fix mean for people with only a few mods?

Very little though it won't hurt if you want to try it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Tzarnal posted:

Very little though it won't hurt if you want to try it.

This. Essentially it seems to remove the memory overhead that plagued Skyrim previously, meaning people with a shitload of mods -- especially memory-hungry things like texture mods -- can get away with it without having the game constantly poo poo itself due to hitting the memory limit.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

That CTD fix sounds incredible, that guy is a miracle worker. Are you finding it improves framerates too, as people in that reddit thread have suggested? Probably gonna go hogwild on uGrids on my next install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

I've seen some people speculating that this might also allow for larger-scale battles. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?
Yes and no. If your game crashes when it's trying to load a lot of actors, this could help prevent that.
But if you're having performance issues when a large number of actors are engaged in combat, then this is not going to help. Also the combat system and AI aren't really suited for large-scale engagements.

• Locked thread