Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I'd love to see the mole from Thunderbirds modded in. I mean just look at this drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guybro Dudeson
May 24, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Could you create an object that gives you 40% of your current pixels to cover the penalty, then immediately kills you? Possibly with a custom animation?

I was looking for a hook anywhere for beamUp, and came up empty handed. But this looks like a decent workaround for the time being. I'm pretty sure you could call back "reviveCost" in player.config to check anyone's custom settings too. Perhaps some kind of suicide booth?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

XboxPants posted:

Could you create an object that gives you 40% of your current pixels to cover the penalty, then immediately kills you? Possibly with a custom animation?

That won't math right.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Splizwarf posted:

That won't math right.

Oh right. What is it, ( (current pixels)/.6 ) - current pixels? Actually I'm not even sure what the current death penalty is.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Luminaflare posted:

I'd love to see the mole from Thunderbirds modded in. I mean just look at this drat thing.

I'd like to see everything from Thunderbirds modded in.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

It'd need to give you 2 thirds of your current pixels assuming the death penalty is 40%.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Luminaflare posted:

It'd need to give you 2 thirds of your current pixels assuming the death penalty is 40%.

Oh, right, I was thinking it could just replace your pixel count. It's probably easier to make it give you a pixel bonus.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The current penalty is 30%, so I think it'd need to be closer to 43% of your current pixels to be the same after death?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

The current penalty is 30%, so I think it'd need to be closer to 43% of your current pixels to be the same after death?

Would it not be possible to just get 30% of current, store that number, kill the player, give the stored number back?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

McCoy Pauley posted:

There's probably something basic I'm missing here, but I recently got access to Sector X, and with the guns I'm now finding, my energy needs are way in excess of what my Vanguard armor can provide me. How do I get access to the next tiers of armor for humans? From looking at a FAQ it seems like Seeker armor is next -- but I don't seem to be able to make the necessary bars for it or have the recipe itself in my Robotic Crafting station. What do I do to keep advancing through the armor tiers?

You have to craft tech upgrades for every tier after getting into X. Check your purple tier recipes at the robotic crafting table.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
If people want to warp back to their ship without penalty, why don't they just do it the way they already can? (Log out then back in)

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

WarpedNaba posted:

Say, would anyone be interested in some kind of command prompt AI voice thing as a mod? Like VOX from Half Life?

Woop woop rear end day. rear end day. rear end inspection day. All crew to medical for rear end inspection.
(That means yes)

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

XboxPants posted:

I can't find any way to call and alter your pixelcount via script, outside of the lines in player.config:
"reviveCost" : {
"absolute" : 1,
"percentile" : 30.0
And that's non-negotiable, in that items don't seem to be able to check or alter it.

If you know any way of handling it via script, feel free to lemme know~

The White Dragon posted:

I'm a big fan of circumvention methods. Can you classify it as a race and make all its flavor text "buttbutt" without adding it to the character creation screen? You could always just have them spawn as NPCs, who can indeed talk. You could probably even make a spawner just for them.
I was actually working out the logistics of this with Shoehead and in IRC; I decided to go with monster spawn because setting them as a race may cause other issues, but more importantly, would prevent you from getting them as a pet.

Right now, you can cut them to half health and then pokeball them, letting you have a pet buttbot :3:

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 18, 2014

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Desideratus posted:

Right now, you can cut them to half health and then pokeball them, letting you have a pet buttbot :3:

Now make them fire blood!

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Geokinesis posted:

Now make them fire blood!

I actually mulled over the idea of giving them a poop-spitting projectile, but decided to stay closer to the source material. Should I add an alternate version with this in there?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Luminaflare posted:

This reminds me of a mediocre Nintendo game I have a softspot for.

You could turn on hoverjets to fly, and turn into a jet to fly faster. If you switched to drive mode in the topdown shooter segments over a pit or lava, you died like the moron you were :downs:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Luminaflare posted:

Cool. Where is the mod where I can put it up my character's rear end?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

nexus

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Is there a mod to replace the teleporter animation with the one from star trek yet?

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

I started a new character last night, and I've ran into a pretty big problem. Whenever I try to go to the Gamma sector, I get stuck in light speed. It still plays the sound as if the ship was slowing down, but the whole stars flying by animation never stops and I never get to the planet. I've tried deleting my universe folder, and nothing seems to work. Anyone else have this problem before? I only have a few mods installed, and it doesn't look like any of them should be causing this problem...

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
MOD IDEA GO AHEAD AND STEAL:

Some meteor showers should be Giant Brain showers, to recreate the Brainspawn attacks from Futurama.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Some meteor showers should be Giant Brain showers, to recreate the Brainspawn attacks from Futurama.

And if anyone dies during the attack, we can yell 'Stop exploding you cowards!'

Really, everything from Futurama would be pretty cool.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~
So apparently they're looking for feedback about mods to incorporate into the actual game design in the upcoming patch:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1vjv31/the_next_patch_isnt_far_away_would_you_like_to/

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Someone say butts?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

JohnnyCanuck posted:

And when you use the Brain Extractor on them, they should instantly respawn upon death, without dropping anything.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
good poo poo yo

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

holy poo poo

quote:

Should be possible to have an abortion though. Not so cool exploring a prison, getting raped by an inmate, and then be forced to give birth to some human/floran deformity some time later.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ah yea, Starbound was severly lacking in the loving department.

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D
Just uploaded episode 2 of my Starbound inspired Space Opera thingy.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQNnQyOuSsw]

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

I like that even the person whose art the OP is all het up about doesn't want to be associated with that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm trying desperately not to believe that that degenerate is a redditor. Desperately.

Have we gotten confirmation as to whether the next patch will hold more than bug fixes?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

I don't want another goddamn meter to worry about!

Oh, also the rest of this is terrible, too.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

WarpedNaba posted:

Have we gotten confirmation as to whether the next patch will hold more than bug fixes?

From the newspost:

quote:

Additions:

New game modes! Permadeath and drop-everything-on-death modes.
Revolvers, pulse rifles, hand grenades, shivs, Floran needlers, Floran thorn hammer
Human guards now wear soldier uniforms
More decorative hats! Yay, hats!
More random encounters
Possibly more content, if it’s finished on time!

And then there was the aforelinked reddit post from Tiy about wanting to incorporate some more mods into the official game in this patch.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Rape Mod Guy posted:

Well that was, with other aspects the thought: to make the game somewhat harder. Life is hard. Surviving is hard. And to most people... finding a mate is not easy.

Ugh, larval Slab modder spotted!

That thread is a (gross) goldmine.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm not sure how much is the bad delivery last night that resulted in barfing at 4AM, and how much is people likely unronically asking what their options are after being prison raped in starbound, but definitely feeling ill here.

EDIT: vvv Having a happy family with an adorable skeleton baby is cool, but yes the obsession with :tvtropes: in colorful space hijinks land rubs me the wrong way in which more comical things like Bird Dongs do not. More so because of how invested some of those posters are on it being an option.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 20, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reproduction in Starbound is an interesting concept. Being able to breed my little pokemon creatures into horrible monsters by combining their parts via babies is great... but not if it involves prison rape or gratuitous unnecessary stuff. Maybe just have an egg sprite that hatches into baby monsters or ground-plants that grow into Florans something.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Desideratus posted:

Of note, I'm currently putting the finishing touches on my Exploration Enhanced mod, which makes a bunch of changes to various things. It probably won't be out tomorrow (I have social plans all evening), but Monday is a good bet. Please mention features that would be good to make exploration and stuff better; This is what I have on the schedule so far (Completed just means I have all assets done but untested, implemented means it's good to go)
  • Four craftable drones that follow you and shed light (Completed)
  • A handheld floodlight and a fusion lamp (Very bright lantern) (Completed)
  • A teleporter that takes you between points on a planet (requires coordinate input, very complex, game may be #REKT) (Implemented)
  • A backpack that provides the energy shield status effect; I have no idea what this is, but I'm adding it cause I'm intrigued~ (In progress; Code Complete)
  • Three concrete saw things, they're like drills but one-handed so you can hold, say, a drill and a flashlight; Tiers aegisalt, cerulium, and rubium. Currently the firing sound is too quiet, but :effort: (Implemented)
  • A hazmat suit that protects against poison (In progress; Code Complete)
  • A heatsuit that protects against lava (In progress; Code Complete)
  • Some sort of mining mech (May not be in the initial release) (In progress)
  • Additional biomes and planet modifiers (May not be in the initial release) (In progress)
  • The above will include a hive/bee minibiome, because you're drat right it will
  • A kickass hovercycle and/or a tron lightcycle (Will definitely not be in the initial release)

OH HEY, this thing is now out. You should probably get it, it's kinda cool. Of note, the HazMat and Heat Suits are not in this release, nor is the energy shield backpack (Didn't have art assets quite in time), but expect them within a couple days! The mining mech is also not in this release, but I didn't expect it to be. ENJOY~

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Desideratus posted:

OH HEY, this thing is now out. You should probably get it, it's kinda cool. Of note, the HazMat and Heat Suits are not in this release, nor is the energy shield backpack (Didn't have art assets quite in time), but expect them within a couple days! The mining mech is also not in this release, but I didn't expect it to be. ENJOY~

Please note these are not in because I got sick. Sorry duders

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

SO HEY. Cool tester person Tak pointed out a couple issues, one of which involved me setting monsters to never spawn in most biomes (Why I am so retard?) and some issues with recipes (I left commas in the pixel cost :saddowns: ). So uh, if you already DL'ed Exploration Enhanced you may wanna get the latest version, because holy poo poo I was aiming for a high score in loving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Clean up detail is ready.

• Locked thread