Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I love Philomena Cunk so much.

Someone here recommended The Returned once, ages ago probably but I only just now got bored enough to try it. Obsessed now, so thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'm really enjoying The Returned with one episode to go. It is so very, very French as well. So French.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

I'm really enjoying The Returned with one episode to go. It is so very, very French as well. So French.

So French. It's all Gallic shrugs of utter ennui, and people deciding to be sexy with the walking dead instead of ripping their heads off with chainsaws

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

Its just the same thing Ali g used to do, they are great though.
Im pretty sure the people being interviewed are in on the joke, so not quite the same, still a good bit though, great parody of stupid documentries.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Ponce de Le0n posted:

I haven't seen it in a while but i like how fast schofield and holly go from grinning ear-to-ear at a funny segment to doing their most earnest concerned faces at some woman who's son was eaten by bears or some incredibly, incredibly horrible thing.

Also it was insane seeing phillip hand his list of suspect internet nonces to cameron live, this morning is a weird show if you think about it.

This Morning is pretty great with Phil/Holly (or Dearnot/Holly this week) because it's such a relaxed atmosphere (in contrast to the husband/wife pairings) and it feels self-aware; even when you have crazy people on or whenever they bring on former Apprentice lady, it's not about giving them a platform, it's deliberately structured to neuter them. And then we go to Gino in the kitchen with something lewd.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Comfy Chairs posted:

Philomena Cunk's Moments of Wonder are some of the best things Brooker has done since tvgohome. They really make me wish Ricky Gervais would goad Karl Pilkington into doing a Horizon/Brian Cox-style show where he's just sat in a room interviewing scientists. Preferably monkey scientists.
I can see this becoming a recurring argument every week until Weekly Wipe ends, but I still don't get the Limmy and Moments of Wonder stuff. MoW is mocking a certain style of documentary, but it's the same joke/insight as last week. Limmy made some non-revelatory comments about energy suppliers then strung out a premise that wasn't funny (turn on all your appliances).

More Real Brooker Ranting (TM) please.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I can't speak for everyone else, but I mostly find it funny due to the sheer absurdity and how well acted those sketches are. Its things like Philomena starting an interview with "Alright then science man, who are you?" or Limmy's confused terror when wondering if Russel Brand is a secret Tory.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think this week's Moments of Wonder definitely got down the superficial form of that sort of documentary. It reminded me of the classic How to Report the News Bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHun58mz3vI

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
An article from the Guardian on filming of a second series of The Trip. I didn't even know they'd commissioned it.
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/jan/18/steve-coogan-rob-brydon-trip-to-italy

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Anyone watching this Three Musketeers show on BBC1 now? I don't think I need to spoiler the fact that it's hot garbage. Maybe worse than DaVinci's Demons.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Anyone watching this Three Musketeers show on BBC1 now? I don't think I need to spoiler the fact that it's hot garbage. Maybe worse than DaVinci's Demons.

Is it as BBC as Atlantis?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'd heard da Vinci's Demons was pretty good? Is it worth it for some Bear McCreary at least?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

WastedJoker posted:

I watched an episode of Atlantis, but I can't get past the fact that the Pythagoras guy looks exactly like Martin Gore.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'd heard da Vinci's Demons was pretty good? Is it worth it for some Bear McCreary at least?

I actually only watched it because I'd seen a YouTube video of Bear McCreary talking about writing the main theme as a mirror-image of itself. Turns out that video was more enjoyable than watching the show itself.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

It's sort of like Merlin with more sexy bits and Peter Capaldi doing a pantomime villain turn as Richelieu.

D'Artagnan and Aramis are both astonishingly handsome though, and the BBC is shamelessly pandering to its' audience by having them both be shirtless for large portions of the episode.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Complete trash but at least we don't have to watch it next week!

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I watched an episode of Atlantis, but I can't get past the fact that the Pythagoras guy looks exactly like Martin Gore.

It is basically the same as Merlin and Atlantis, but instead of magic there are more 'mature' themes apparently. Not as fun, but there are far worse things on TV. Mainly anything that doesn't have Peter Capaldi being a massive villain.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Pablo Bluth posted:

Limmy made some non-revelatory comments about energy suppliers then strung out a premise that wasn't funny (turn on all your appliances).

More Real Brooker Ranting (TM) please.

I view Limmy's whole schtick as a crazy conspiracy youtube video, starts off with something that sound reasonable then devolves into utter insanity. 'We shouldn't trust the police, because they're reptiles sent from MARS!'

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope you're all filling out the BBC TV consultation doohicky: https://consultations.external.bbc.co.uk/bbc/bbc_one_two_three_four

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I have become strangely drawn into Tough Young Teachers (or whatever it is) on BBC 3. The teachers themselves aren't tough and come across as being a bit poo poo, though the children are quite entertaining. It's like watching an extremely watered down version of season four of The Wire intercut with the teachers dribbling out some nonsense about wanting to make lessons fun and engaging, when we all know the most fun and engaging lessons appeared at the time to be quite oppressive.

I also like the Limmy bits. And the Cunk bits, but in that other show, not this one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

justcola posted:

I have become strangely drawn into Tough Young Teachers (or whatever it is) on BBC 3. The teachers themselves aren't tough and come across as being a bit poo poo, though the children are quite entertaining. It's like watching an extremely watered down version of season four of The Wire intercut with the teachers dribbling out some nonsense about wanting to make lessons fun and engaging, when we all know the most fun and engaging lessons appeared at the time to be quite oppressive.

I'm sure this wasn't the shows original intention but I'm basically watching it to see all of them crash and burn, which a couple of them are doing in spectacular fashion as early as the second episode.

Next weeks though (with the pupil/teacher bonding and the posh one going shooting) looks cringe worthy - hopefully he accidentally shoots a kid or something.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'm not liking the negative implications at play here when comparing things to Merlin or Atlantis :colbert:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm not liking the negative implications at play here when comparing things to Merlin or Atlantis :colbert:

We could compare stuff to dick cancer but that'd be watering our insults down.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

justcola posted:

I also like the Limmy bits. And the Cunk bits, but in that other show, not this one.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm sure this wasn't the shows original intention but I'm basically watching it to see all of them crash and burn, which a couple of them are doing in spectacular fashion as early as the second episode.

Next weeks though (with the pupil/teacher bonding and the posh one going shooting) looks cringe worthy - hopefully he accidentally shoots a kid or something.

I haven't watched it yet but I have a friend who's an NQT and says its quite accurate, but they also seem to have gotten less training than she did. I have a bad feeling that it's just a bunch of unbearable wimps to feed your schadenfreude and the public perception of teachers rather than the more realistic "it's often a thankless job and it occupies your whole life but there are a few moments that make it really worthwhile" which Educating Yorkshire touched on a little bit more.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think the whole point is that they're part of the drive to transfer people from business into teaching (because there are so many transferable skills), and are just dumped into a school to be trained on the job.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Szmitten posted:

I haven't watched it yet but I have a friend who's an NQT and says its quite accurate, but they also seem to have gotten less training than she did. I have a bad feeling that it's just a bunch of unbearable wimps to feed your schadenfreude and the public perception of teachers rather than the more realistic "it's often a thankless job and it occupies your whole life but there are a few moments that make it really worthwhile" which Educating Yorkshire touched on a little bit more.

My g/f is a Special Needs Coordinator/teacher for her school and, I kid you not, she starts working at the school at 7.30am, works through the whole day, then comes back home and works til 9/10pm, Monday to Thursday.

2 weeks of her summer break are also spent preparing for the new school year too.

It's a thankless job and I would dearly love to stab Gove in his stupid pob face.

As well as the BBC for basically doing to teaching what C4 has done for benefits.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Captain Mediocre posted:

Warning! BBC3 somehow produced something unshit. Just watched Uncle and loved it.

This. I enjoyed it quite a lot.

It had a pilot on C4 last year or so, but the guy who would've commissioned it for C4 moved to BBC Three and commissioned it for them instead. That might partially explain it?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

My g/f is a Special Needs Coordinator/teacher for her school and, I kid you not, she starts working at the school at 7.30am, works through the whole day, then comes back home and works til 9/10pm, Monday to Thursday.

2 weeks of her summer break are also spent preparing for the new school year too.

Yep, this sounds about right. Her New Years resolution was to stop working after 1pm on Sunday, and at least one of those was a dud already. It's constant.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Has there been any news on a second series of Utopia, I remember reading that there was going to be one but nothing since then?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its definitely going ahead, I remember an announcement a few months ago about some new cast members. Other than that, its just a matter of waiting for the promotion for it to start.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

goatface posted:

I think the whole point is that they're part of the drive to transfer people from business into teaching (because there are so many transferable skills), and are just dumped into a school to be trained on the job.

They're part of the drive to *direct* people towards teaching instead of business, not because there are many transferable skills but because the compensation for being a teacher, especially for the top graduates that Teach First is targeted at, pales in comparison with the compensation for going into business.
My ex did TF, she was paid somewhere in the low 20s for two years. I graduated a year before her and went straight into the city and pulled in double that. And I was home by 7pm each night. Granted, I hated it and quit after two years, but then again so did she.
The point is that without TF, she wouldn't have even thought about teaching as a career at all, especially with a 1st class Oxbridge STEM degree. If even a small percentage of the TF cohorts go on to become a career teacher, then it's done a great job.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So this teach first thing is just dropping 'top graduates' into teaching roles without much training? Sounds like almost as bad an idea as Gove's plan to turn squaddies into teachers.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

For those that enjoyed Uncle, the new episode is on tonight at 10.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Well, Corrie just killed off Hayley. It was about as well handled as you'd expect. She basically became a mouth piece for the serious issue they were tackling rather than a character making a decision, so her final episode compensated by focusing almost entirely on Roy instead.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Chris Packham spoke the words "We can bring you black cock, live, first thing in the morning, and what could be better than that!?" on Winterwatch.

I don't know, Chris. I don't know.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

:suicide:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
People suck :(

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah that giant loving image really gives us a surprising insight into the things idiots say on twitter...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah that giant loving image really gives us a surprising insight into the things idiots say on twitter...

Two images. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Why the gently caress is twitter a thing again?