Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Subtle Reebok, subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
One of the founders of an amazing local brewery (COOP Ale Works) skated with us on our contract ice tonight.

DO YOU WANT TO BE ON OUR HOCKEY TEAM AND PERHAPS SPONSOR US LOCAL BEER GOD? :shepface:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone, I have arrived, because I got invited to an actual beer league team for the spring season.

No beer sponsor though, not that it effects me because I don't drink but it would still be pretty awesome.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

D C posted:

Subtle Reebok, subtle.

Finally, a use for my scented wax.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
One of my teams got sponsored by the trashiest bar in the town the rink is in. They gave us $500 for jerseys and socks and now we get half off apps and a good beer special if we say we are on the team.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
That's awesome but I feel like $500 doesn't buy very many jerseys and socks

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bewbies posted:

One of the founders of an amazing local brewery (COOP Ale Works) skated with us on our contract ice tonight.

DO YOU WANT TO BE ON OUR HOCKEY TEAM AND PERHAPS SPONSOR US LOCAL BEER GOD? :shepface:

My first team out of LTP was sponsored by a local brewery. They bought our jerseys and like 2 growlers of beer over the course of the 2-3 years we played under that name.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

10 jerseys with 1 color logo + number for free is pretty good to me

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I feel pretty good about my play last night.

Read a few plays pretty well, I was a god drat pest for the D man (got him to turn it over more than a few times), and got a breakaway on a PK, which I hosed up by pushing the puck too far ahead. Since I screwed it up and couldn't take a shot, I said "gently caress it" and just held the puck on the boards while they tried to get it back out.

My biggest problems are of course my skating, and I really need to stop passing where I think people should be (because no one is there) and just hold on to the drat puck. I really need to work on receiving a pass from behind, too. I should just turn my lazy rear end around instead of thinking I'm Mr. wizard hockey man, come to think about it.

Also, I'm glad I got the fancy cup. A dman tried to clear the puck and it hit me in the crotch. I instinctively yelled "Ow my balls" even though it didn't hurt at all. Just a little tingle in the taint.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 17, 2014

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Doctor Butts posted:

Also, I'm glad I got the fancy cup. A dman tried to clear the puck and it hit me in the crotch. I instinctively yelled "Ow my balls" even though it didn't hurt at all. Just a little tingle in the taint.

I scored a goal the other night because a point shot hit me in the cup and dropped right at my feet in front of the net. I guess I'm glad everyone on my team has noodly shots, a real slapshot probably would have pinched a little.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

Finally, a use for my scented wax.

Yeah, but is your wax called Sex Wax with a slogan of "Put it on your stick and score,"? Mine is. :smug:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

sex wax is the dumbest most overpriced crap. i know you were joking, i just wanted to say that.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

i use the tape with a fire pattern because i light the net up

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Gio posted:

sex wax is the dumbest most overpriced crap. i know you were joking, i just wanted to say that.

It's like $2? :ohdear:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
So thanks to this thread and my renewed love of hockey from playing roller again I am currently looking into acquiring a pair of CCM Externos E60s (I think) from my cousin and taking a learn to skate followed by a Learn to Ice Hockey at a local rink for $115 and $150 respectively. On the upside I pretty much have all the gear I need short of shoulders and elbows (I hate elbows so much) on the down side stupid expensive hobbies and god dammit Ice Hockey League fees :(. Any Philly goons with experience Ice Works per chance?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Bradf0rd posted:

i dunno my mom has a bunch of candles she never uses so i asked her for a couple candles one day. been using half of one for like two years now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bradf0rd posted:

I went and looked it up because I was shocked it was being regarded as expensive and it's actually $1.29 at Sports Chalet.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i mean i guess im bitchin to bitch here but whatever poo poo is dumb just use a candle

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ya I don't even use any of it but the name itself makes me never want to use it

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Mr Zog's Sex Wax has been around for like 50 42 years. Why all the fuss?

I wound up buying it at my local hockey shop because I just don't get out to the candle store as much as I used to :rolleyes:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 18, 2014

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
My stick wax smells like grapes and I wouldn't change a thing

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
Holy gently caress I'm out of shape. 15 minutes into my first time back on the ice and my entire body was begging me to quit

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Cucktales Blogger posted:

Holy gently caress I'm out of shape. 15 minutes into my first time back on the ice and my entire body was begging me to quit

Wait until tomorrow ... or the second day after for that matter if it's been a really long time.

I recently did a coached clinic and gently caress did it rip me to pieces. My legs haven't been this sore in a long time and that's coming from someone who pays semi regularly as well as being an avid cyclist.

Also, I totally forgot how coaches have zero tolerance for dipshits who don't listen. Watching grown rear end dudes being made to skate laps is hilarious.

And gently caress line sprints and stp's (skate till you puke). I haven't been that exhausted in a long time.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My favorite practices growing up were the ones where the coach would bring a puke bucket onto the ice.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
A&R Stick Wax pucks or bust.

Zog's Sex Wax is too soft and sloppy.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
I usually re-tape my stick at home watching football or some cartoons
I bought some 6" unscented candles at ikea for $1 each
Been using one for about 3 years.
It's about 5.75" now.

Wax is wax

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Its always the people who don't listen who line up first for any given drill.

One of the clinics I like to go to has a coach who runs class like the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket, tearing into the recruits if they gently caress up in the slightest.

As soon as they skate away he's laughing up his sleeve. Its takes the new guys a few session to catch on that its all an act, but it makes people really try and do things right.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

Verman posted:

Wait until tomorrow ... or the second day after for that matter if it's been a really long time.

My body is pretty used to delay onset muscle soreness from lifting weights. What was really disconcerting was how long it was taking me to catch my breath, because I knew my cardio would suck but didn't realize just how bad it got.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

I wound up buying it at my local hockey shop because I just don't get out to the candle store as much as I used to :rolleyes:

You should bro. The new misty mountain watermelon by Yankee Candle is to die for.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
When I loft a biscuit smoothly into the net I prefer it to smell like fresh cookies but ymmv

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I did drop-in on Friday, which was the first time I was on the ice since the week before Christmas. I probably would have died on the ice if it weren't for the fact that they had entirely too many people show up. I'm pretty sure each side had about 10-12 people on the bench, and 6 total goalies. Skate for 2-3 minutes, sit for 6-7. Good times. At least my legs decided to work yesterday and today.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

10-12 on each bench? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It's a two-rink building, but they were running a HS tournament on the other rink, so instead of opening both for a double drop-in, everybody gets crammed into one rink.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

that is why public drop ins are dog poo poo

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They're shutting down culver ice rink. It was home to a few LA kings practices, a couple gold medalist figure skaters and a ton of learn to play adult and kid classes. It's pretty dilapidated but still saw plenty of activity and has that charm.

I've only played there a handful of times but still sad to see it go.

I'm going to skate at the Monday drop in at 1215 if anyone in so cal wants to join me. I think everyone local has my cell phone but if not send me a PM and let me know you're coming.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

I'm going to skate at the Monday drop in at 1215 if anyone in so cal wants to join me. I think everyone local has my cell phone but if not send me a PM and let me know you're coming.

Damnit, have a flight out of LAX at 2:30.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get TSA precheck, leave at 1:15, you'll be fine!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Are you guys using stick wax on composites?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Doctor Butts posted:

Yes because it keeps the tape dry and tacky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Yeah, why wouldn't you?