Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sunning posted:

I bet they won't splice the tiling for this game like they did for that meteor in FFV iOS!

Oh...

There are a lot of graphical artifacts in this port, such as the copy & paste seams on the Magitek armor you use in the beginning.

Thats it, they weren't even trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

That loving Sned posted:

They didn't have to change anything. Chrono Trigger had the same graphics as the SNES version, and they released All the Bravest, a game that's a love letter to the sprite artwork of Final Fantasy VI, if not much of a game. If people are willing to pay a premium to see characters from Final Fantasy VII-XIII in VI's style, then I don't see why VI suddenly needs a makeover.

Makeover, no, upscaling, yes. I don't know what the hell they did here.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

And other images of horror.

There's not a single thing in that image, that doesn't clash. Holy hell :psyduck:

For comparison:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, the background looks nice?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's not a single thing in that image, that doesn't clash. Holy hell :psyduck:

The battle background actually looks pretty good. The enemies don't really look that much better compared to the original, though. Didn't the FF5 mobile version have much better-looking monster designs? Because I haven't seen any monsters looking that good in the FF6 one yet.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I just saw someone mention this on twitter. Apparently there's also a game-breaking bug just before halfway through on some devices? Like the most popular devices there are? Here's a neogaf thread about it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754361

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I would like them to put out more original content on mobile/tablet devices. Harder to waste as much money on those projects.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Schwartzcough posted:

Wow, I had sort of been "impressed" with the little 3-D model of Figaro when I thought it meant they had made exact 3-D models of every location. But of COURSE they would just use Figaro's model for every castle. What was I thinking.

The original game used the same sprite for both Figaro and Doma Castle, too. They just had the shortsighted idea to make the Figaro model more accurate here, when the weird scale of the SNES sprite actually made it resemble Doma as well. Almost all the towns look the same, too, but again the 3D makes it more noticeable

That loving Sned posted:

I just noticed that Gau's sunglasses from the blind status don't even align with his eyes. In fact, they wouldn't align with anyone's eyes since they're all drawn from a different angle.

Gau's floating. I don't remember if the blind sunglasses move up and down along with characters who are floating.

Man, it's FF6 so I really want to like it, but they're not making it easy. I know FF5 on my iPhone looks pretty good and you don't really notice the sprite smoothing. The seams on the terrain in the Sealed Cave screenshot (not so much the lava) really bug me though.

And Locke's posture reminds me a lot of FF5 iOS Bartz. Almost as if they might have modified a pre-existing sprite

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Darksaber posted:

I just saw someone mention this on twitter. Apparently there's also a game-breaking bug just before halfway through on some devices? Like the most popular devices there are? Here's a neogaf thread about it:

quote:

On the flipside, this means that Final Fantasy 6 for Android is, technically speaking, the first ever version of the game where General Leo doesn't die.
Almost died laughing at this. Glass half full indeed!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
And what's most depressing about this is that SE won't stop. Why should they? I read somewhere that they make a poo poo ton of money off of phone games, since the market is much bigger for them than traditional handhelds/whatever.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Captain Mog posted:

And what's most depressing about this is that SE won't stop. Why should they? I read somewhere that they make a poo poo ton of money off of phone games, since the market is much bigger for them than traditional handhelds/whatever.

Up until this one though they weren't ever terrible ports. Even FFV with its graphical oddities was a decent port.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
FF5 looks about 100 times better because all the assets are original and stylistically consistent. FF6 is a weird mash of flat sprites, upscaled from original locations and monsters, new battle screens, and 3D towns. It's janky as poo poo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ohtsam posted:

Up until this one though they weren't ever terrible ports. Even FFV with its graphical oddities was a decent port.

And the crazy thing is that there are actual improvements to the gameplay. From what I've read, for Cyan's Bushido you now select the one you want him to use and he charges it in the background while everyone continues their turns. Blitzes are also simple enough to execute (or would be if the game actually told you how to do them). The way they changed the battle system where you can choose between all active players at once like in Chrono Trigger works great with a touch screen, skipping mashing Y to get a person's turn. It sounds like Autobattle works great with stuff like Blitzes and Rages.

But then you've got all these stylistic mismatches and game-breaking bugs and all sorts of weird poo poo that hurt it. It sounds like it's still a good game, but I still hate how lifeless the sprites look, I hate how they define a character's gender purely by whether they have angry or sad eyes, I hate that after the great work they did with enemy sprites in FF5 they phoned them in for FF6 (though the battle backgrounds look great).

I'll probably still pick it up when it's on sale because I'm an idiot like that, though.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Although the screen grabs that have been posted look like utter poo poo on a big screen, when you're playing the game on a relatively-small Android phone they look not as bad. Although the world map certainly does still look awful, whatever the screen size. I can't help but think that the original plan was to remake the entire overworld in 3D, but they ran out of time and so just banged those towns in instead.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
How did they manage to make their already dopey-looking sprites worse? Look at Locke's arm compared to Bartz'. Just look at it on its own! That is ridiculous.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I can't tell if Locke has breasts, a beer belly, or is pregnant. :psyduck:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Never going to happen. XI was their best moneymaker, and XIV is better in every way. MMO fees will keep them afloat for quite some time.

I don't know, XIV was an albatross hanging around their necks for what, a year and a half? Even with the current level of subscriber retention it's going to be a long time until it turns a profit, if it ever does.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'd say Square anticipates XIV to be a long-term investment. I mean, XI has been going on for a decade and is still going, so waiting a while to break even sounds like it's part of the plan to me.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

I'd say Square anticipates XIV to be a long-term investment. I mean, XI has been going on for a decade and is still going, so waiting a while to break even sounds like it's part of the plan to me.

Well, here's the thing, version 1.0 (justifiably) performed absurdly badly. They lost a ludicrous amount of money on it even before the all-hands-on-deck remake of the game took it offline for several months. That's why it's going to take so long to break even, they've got to dig themselves out of a pretty massive deficit. Under normal circumstances, sure, taking a while to break even's expected. They're going to be digging themselves out of the hole on XIV for several years, though.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I've been playing some FF 13-2, since the third part is coming out soon and I'd like to play at least some of 2 before I wind up getting 3. Is any of the DLC for FF13-2 worthwhile? I haven't gotten very far yet, anyway.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

HJE-Cobra posted:

I've been playing some FF 13-2, since the third part is coming out soon and I'd like to play at least some of 2 before I wind up getting 3. Is any of the DLC for FF13-2 worthwhile? I haven't gotten very far yet, anyway.

The Sazh DLC contains one of, if not the best minigame in Final Fantasy history.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HJE-Cobra posted:

The boss DLC is pretty great, everything else is costumes and mediocre weapons. There's an extra chapter where you can play as Lightning and unlock her as a monster after beating it. That DLC's pretty good too because it has a normal level up system and encourages you to try it out in many different ways and you can even lower your level to make it more of a challenge. Oh yes and the Sazh DLC contains, CHRONO BIND, the best FF mini-game in the history of FF.

Also here's an unboxing of the Collector's Edition of Lightning Returns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1fySZj5_Ww

WARNING: This video contains copious use of the word "awesome", awkward enthusiasm, and an art book & DLC outfit I really want, but will not spend 90 bucks for.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 20, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
One, Chronobind is EXACTLY as awesome as people have said it is. Get Sazh's DLC just for freaking Chronobind, it's fun as hell.

Two, I have reneged on preordering or getting Lightning Returns in any fashion because seriously, gently caress the FFXIII trilogy. If somebody does an LP of it, I'll probably watch it because Kung Fu Jesus' LP of FFXIII-2 restored my faith in LPs, but that's the extent of it.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The DLC has some broken monsters to recruit, some extremely difficult bosses to fight, and the "Requiem of the Goddess" one ties together XIII-2 and XIII-3 if you care about that. I'd recommend beating the game first, and if you really enjoy the battle system and you want more of a challenge, you can try some of the DLC bosses (Gilgamesh also has the best rendition of Battle on the Big Bridge from any final fantasy game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAZXVv7azKA).

Also get the White Mage costume for Serah, because her default costume is so, so bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zaphod42 posted:

Thats it, they weren't even trying.

No, you have to actually try in this case. Just cutting the sprites from a SNES ROM would have them line up correctly when you cut the screen in to 32x32 tiles to use in the remake. If 13 year old kids can do this on platforms like BYOND then it takes a special kind of stupid to gently caress up this consistently.

Darksaber posted:

"I paid $16 for this terrible eyesore piece of poo poo and it doesn't even WORK!" says the poster that can look at FF6's remake and think that effort went in to making sure it worked properly.

mp5 posted:

And Locke's posture reminds me a lot of FF5 iOS Bartz. Almost as if they might have modified a pre-existing sprite

They did. All of the remakes are using modified Final Fantasy Dimension sprites and Locke looks like he's based on Sol's sprite. I'm going to guess Leo used Aigis's sprite since both have an overcoat on and the remakes are as :effort: as possible.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ozza posted:

Although the screen grabs that have been posted look like utter poo poo on a big screen, when you're playing the game on a relatively-small Android phone they look not as bad.

I tried looking at them through my phone's browser, and they still look like poo poo.

One of the problems is that the background art and character sprites have both been quadrupled in size, but the characters have an awful smoothing filter and backgrounds have no filtering at all. This is still noticeable on a small screen, since it looks ever so slightly off when certain parts of the image appear to be higher resolution than other parts. For some reason, the only character that isn't filtered is the Moogle giving you hints.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

I tried looking at them through my phone's browser, and they still look like poo poo.

One of the problems is that the background art and character sprites have both been quadrupled in size, but the characters have an awful smoothing filter and backgrounds have no filtering at all. This is still noticeable on a small screen, since it looks ever so slightly off when certain parts of the image appear to be higher resolution than other parts. For some reason, the only character that isn't filtered is the Moogle giving you hints.

Hah. Notice I said 'not as bad'. Maybe it's the fact that there's some motion that they look slightly better when playing, too. The worst part is that there is no consistency to the whole thing. If it had been totally RPG Makerised it would at least hang together, but the way it is, with some redrawing, some filtering and some untouched backgrounds, is just so lazy. I'm certain the phrase "meh, that'll do" was said in many an office during development.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Systematic System posted:

The DLC has some broken monsters to recruit, some extremely difficult bosses to fight, and the "Requiem of the Goddess" one ties together XIII-2 and XIII-3 if you care about that. I'd recommend beating the game first, and if you really enjoy the battle system and you want more of a challenge, you can try some of the DLC bosses (Gilgamesh also has the best rendition of Battle on the Big Bridge from any final fantasy game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAZXVv7azKA).

Also get the White Mage costume for Serah, because her default costume is so, so bad.

So I should beat the game before doing the Lightning DLC, huh? And certainly before the extra bosses DLC. I am kinda interested in the Lightning DLC as lead-up to FF13-3. But that Sazh DLC sounds intriguing too, hm. I guess the Snow one is right out.

But I'm hardly into the game yet, I've only just gone through my first gate thing. Maybe I'll get some costumes, like Mass Effect outfits or something weird.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Serah's white mage outfit is probably the the only non-creepy one got her including her default outfit.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't recommend passing up on the SNow DLC, he's actually got a pretty fun boss fight and it even has another boss after him that caps off the Coliseum storyline, yes there is a storyline for the coliseum and it is amazing.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ozza posted:

Hah. Notice I said 'not as bad'. Maybe it's the fact that there's some motion that they look slightly better when playing, too. The worst part is that there is no consistency to the whole thing. If it had been totally RPG Makerised it would at least hang together, but the way it is, with some redrawing, some filtering and some untouched backgrounds, is just so lazy. I'm certain the phrase "meh, that'll do" was said in many an office during development.

It turns out that most of the screenshots have the background art and character sprites rendered at 480x360, similar to the PSP remakes of I, II, and IV, so I don't think they're reusing anything from the original SNES version. If they redrew the character art in the style of FFI/II (I'm not too fond of IV and After Years' character sprites), and used the same filter for everything, then it could be salvageable.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

HJE-Cobra posted:

So I should beat the game before doing the Lightning DLC, huh? And certainly before the extra bosses DLC. I am kinda interested in the Lightning DLC as lead-up to FF13-3. But that Sazh DLC sounds intriguing too, hm. I guess the Snow one is right out.

But I'm hardly into the game yet, I've only just gone through my first gate thing. Maybe I'll get some costumes, like Mass Effect outfits or something weird.

Sazh works any time, Snow is late-game, Lightning is post-game (as in, it starts with Lightning watching the ending cutscene). The extra bosses are all late/post-game as well.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Surprinsgly, the graphical glitches you guys have posted are not present in my FF6 on Android. Though my game runs at 1920x1080 so there's that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm so mad that FF6 on the Android is so lovely. I was really looking forward to replaying it but it's just so visually off-putting I can't imagine myself buying it for more than a couple of dollars.

EDIT:
That's even dumber than I expected. I'm with whoever said they should put the FFXIV team on more projects. Those guys seem to "get" fun.
VVVVVV

Levantine fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 20, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Not to mention that the game, you know, crashes a bit less then half way through no matter what.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dr Pepper posted:

Not to mention that the game, you know, crashes a bit less then half way through no matter what.

Truly, the only way to win the game is to not play it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm excited to see if this happens to me. I've just been to Zozo so getting there

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Tempo 119 posted:

Sazh works any time, Snow is late-game, Lightning is post-game (as in, it starts with Lightning watching the ending cutscene). The extra bosses are all late/post-game as well.

You can do Lightning earlier (in fact you can do it right at the beginning of the game), since that DLC works a little differently then everything else. If you do that, you get a COM monster which will trivialize the rest of the game. So if you like really easy games, and don't mind spoilers, feel free to do Lightning earlier.

protmind
Dec 25, 2007

Systematic System posted:

You can do Lightning earlier (in fact you can do it right at the beginning of the game), since that DLC works a little differently then everything else. If you do that, you get a COM monster which will trivialize the rest of the game. So if you like really easy games, and don't mind spoilers, feel free to do Lightning earlier.

Which Lightning DLC is this? There are two of them on the PSN store. I'm interested in going through XIII-2 quickly, solely for the purpose of getting myself ready for the batshit craziness of Lightning Returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I think I'll stick with the GBA version if I want FF6 on the go. How do you screw up a port of an old game that badly? I don't even......:psyboom: