Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I couldn't stand some of the American/English VAs so I played through most of the game with Polish voice and subtitles too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Konsek posted:

Big spoilers in this question: What are the conditions to kill Dethmold? Is it choosing the option to not save Triss like I imagine?

That scene is one of the best in any game ever made. Seriously, pinning him to the ground, then cutting off his balls and stuffing them down his mouth before slitting his throat. Too good. One more reason to always go Broche. Closely followed by killing Henselt. Other developers go on about making players feel emotion but drat they have never even come close to this game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still pretty loving skeevy how he turns out to be gay for apparently no other reason than to vilify him further.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Leb posted:

Well, except maybe Dandelion. And it isn't even exactly that he's a bad voice actor, but man did his Floridian accent sound wildly out of place in the northern kingdoms.

Well at least nothing in Witcher 2 is as bad as the voice acting for Dandelion in The Witcher 1.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought Saskia was actually the worst of the main cast, but I don't think any of them were bad. Guess I'm the only one that thought the voice work for the second game ranged from above average to great? I can't compare to the Polish voices obviously, since I don't speak the language.

SpRahl posted:

Well at least nothing in Witcher 2 is as bad as the voice acting for Dandelion in The Witcher 1.
That's honestly a big barrier to me going back and replaying TW1. I mean there's bad and then there's bad. That was House of the Dead level voice work, and not in a funny way.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

VodeAndreas posted:

I couldn't stand some of the American/English VAs so I played through most of the game with Polish voice and subtitles too.

Same here. I switched to the Polish voicepack in TW1 and never looked back. It makes playing the game a little like watching a foreign movie, but other than not being able to catch some of the background flavor dialogue when a bunch of NPCs are standing around chatting I think it is a much better experience.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well the voice work in TW1 was awful so I can't blame you on that one.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

poptart_fairy posted:

Still pretty loving skeevy how he turns out to be gay for apparently no other reason than to vilify him further.

I noticed that. They also made him super fussy/vain (and really emphasized it in that scene) and his boyfriend or maybe sex slave comes off as so loving creepy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Polish Roche doesn't sound like he's anything special. English Roche supremacy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Kimmalah posted:

I noticed that. They also made him super fussy/vain (and really emphasized it in that scene) and his boyfriend or maybe sex slave comes off as so loving creepy.

I'd be fine with him being gay if he also wasn't suddenly really fussy when everything else about him suggested he was an awkward nerd that gave no shits about his appearance. That was a bit weird. It's just too much of a convergence of stereotypes suddenly, and it kinda took me out of the narrative that otherwise handled its characters really well.

I mean I guess they were just kinda setting up a joke where all the Kaedwenis were wondering what horrible tortures he was doing in that warded off room, but it turned out he was just loving some dude. But it kinda got botched in the execution.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I'd be fine with him being gay if he also wasn't suddenly really fussy when everything else about him suggested he was an awkward nerd that gave no shits about his appearance. That was a bit weird. It's just too much of a convergence of stereotypes suddenly, and it kinda took me out of the narrative that otherwise handled its characters really well.

I mean I guess they were just kinda setting up a joke where all the Kaedwenis were wondering what horrible tortures he was doing in that warded off room, but it turned out he was just loving some dude. But it kinda got botched in the execution.

I didn't even really notice it. At this point gay culture is so ingrained in modern media that I just kinda went "oh I guess he's gay... gently caress YES ROCHE IS THE COOLEST!"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Demiurge4 posted:

I didn't even really notice it. At this point gay culture is so ingrained in modern media that I just kinda went "oh I guess he's gay... gently caress YES ROCHE IS THE COOLEST!"

I don't think there was any implication about his sexuality beforehand, which is the main reason I got thrown off. I'm not usually one to get :argh: about this stuff in videogames, but that particular example was insane.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Updated the second post so all of the mod links work. Also saw a couple things on the Nexus worth pointing out.

Vikings Item Rebalance is basically a less-drastic version of CEO. Seems to focus more on making everything useful instead of CEO's smoothed-out power curve.

Dark weapons without dark effects - This differs from the mod in the OP in that it maintains the health drain aspect of the dark mode swords.

Extreme Quality Flora increases the distance at which various trees and shrubberies are rendered. Has a pretty substantial hit to performance (trying to recreate that shot of the Aedernian camp murders my computer), but never fear, because there's also...

Infinite Grass Render Distance, which does the same but only for grass.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uv1VGfw7U4
haha go gently caress yourself zoltan

Maybe we can collect actual sex cards :unsmigghh:

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 19, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

poptart_fairy posted:

I don't think there was any implication about his sexuality beforehand,
This is going to sound awful, but...given how down he was on women all the time... Well, I don't know what it says about me that hilariously blatant and vocal misogyny made me think he might prefer men sexually, but there it is.

poptart_fairy posted:

which is the main reason I got thrown off. I'm not usually one to get :argh: about this stuff in videogames, but that particular example was insane.

Yeah I'm really hard to offend. In fact unlike common sentiments I've seen throughout the internet, I'd argue that TW2 actually is among the best games in terms of handling female characters. This particular instance did kind of jump out at me as weird though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah it kind of came off a little hamfisted like "Oh poo poo he's gay, better make him vain and prissy really quick!" But then again Dethmold is an arrogant bastard for the most part so maybe that was just because it was the first time we'd seen him in his room with a mirror.

poptart_fairy posted:

I don't think there was any implication about his sexuality beforehand, which is the main reason I got thrown off. I'm not usually one to get :argh: about this stuff in videogames, but that particular example was insane.

I think it was sort of implied in the scene where he speaks to Triss in Flotsam and says "You know nothing useful to me. And I don't want your graces - you don't tickle my fancy." when she offers him a favor for his help. Just the way he says it makes it sound like there's a deeper reason for it beyond just not liking Triss.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 19, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Don't most characters in these games speak down on women? :v:

Points taken, mind. It wasn't enough to stop me playing them through a couple times each!

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah I'm really hard to offend. In fact unlike common sentiments I've seen throughout the internet, I'd argue that TW2 actually is among the best games in terms of handling female characters. This particular instance did kind of jump out at me as weird though.

I wouldnt go that far, but I think Witcher 2 gets some really undeserved flak due to the uh infamy of its predecessor.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Points taken, mind. It wasn't enough to stop me playing them through a couple times each!

Well it just sounded sexual to me because he specifically mentions she has nothing useful to offer him and he's not interested in anything else she can offer (and "graces" would be a nice way of saying that).

Plus from what I've seen in the Witcher, there would have to be a drat good reason for a skeevy guy like Dethmold to say "Uh no I'm not interested in manipulating you for sexual favors."

(I'm really not sure what I need to spoilering at this point, if at all).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

poptart_fairy posted:

Not nearly as vehemently or frequently as Dethmold does, no.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The dumb polish motherfucker that decided that they should include sections that strip you of all the things that make the combat tactical and interesting should be burned at the stake like that sorceress.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The dumb polish motherfucker that decided that they should include sections that strip you of all the things that make the combat tactical and interesting should be burned at the stake like that sorceress.

I only remember this happening once?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It happens more than once and is awful every time.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It happens more than once and is awful every time.

It happens briefly about twice and then one really long rear end section I think.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

I only remember this happening once?

It happens at least twice in Roche's path (three times if you count non-combat stuff too), but there may be other stuff I haven't encountered yet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

It happens at least twice in Roche's path (three times if you count non-combat stuff too), but there may be other stuff I haven't encountered yet.

I was actually on what I assume is the last time it happens in roches path when you. Become a shade to dispel the battlefield and was getting very frustrated that I was forced to fight shield guys in groups without any tools but parry.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I was actually on what I assume is the last time it happens in roches path when you. Become a shade to dispel the battlefield and was getting very frustrated that I was forced to fight shield guys in groups without any tools but parry.

Yeah I actually forgot to count that one since Geralt was technically there, but you're right. I don't know if you've played beyond that point before, but if not there's more annoying stuff like that coming!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is there anything stopping me from dropping the difficulty to easy just to get past that poo poo. I can't even conceive of why they would make such an interesting and unique combat system and then force then periodically take all the interest and unique away so you can suffer under the tedium of holding e and parrying over and over and over.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Is there anything stopping me from dropping the difficulty to easy just to get past that poo poo. I can't even conceive of why they would make such an interesting and unique combat system and then force then periodically take all the interest and unique away so you can suffer under the tedium of holding e and parrying over and over and over.

Nothing that I know of unless you're going for a dark mode playthrough or if you have really strong principles about this sort of thing. As far as rewards go, I don't think it's any different (I'll admit it, I played on easy for a bit starting out until I got accustomed to the combat/controls).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Nothing that I know of unless you're going for a dark mode playthrough or if you have really strong principles about this sort of thing. As far as rewards go, I don't think it's any different (I'll admit it, I played on easy for a bit starting out until I got accustomed to the combat/controls).

Well thats a relif at least.

Considering the improvements made from witcher one to two I have faith that CDProjekt will realize how utterly unfun that mechanic was and make sure it never happens in witcher 3.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Well thats a relif at least.

Considering the improvements made from witcher one to two I have faith that CDProjekt will realize how utterly unfun that mechanic was and make sure it never happens in witcher 3.

You might want to double check because I don't usually pay much attention to stuff like how much XP I get exactly or anything, but I still got the usual quest rewards and stuff so I'm thinking it's the same.

I didn't really mind the sections with a different character, if (like you mentioned) they just gave you decent combat to work with. Not that I want an exact clone of Geralt's style, but maybe some different stuff unique to whatever character you're playing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Playing as a Sorceress might be kind of fun you wouldn't be able to take any hits but could completely wreck groups of enemies.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Gaius Marius posted:

Playing as a Sorceress might be kind of fun you wouldn't be able to take any hits but could completely wreck groups of enemies.

That would be kind of cool, but if it was anything like the Sorceresses from the book, you'd be literally unstoppable.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Is Geralt averse to using ranged weapons or is he just not skilled in them? I know you can throw knives and stuff but you never see him pick up a crossbow or use a bow for anything.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Leb posted:

That would be kind of cool, but if it was anything like the Sorceresses from the book, you'd be literally unstoppable.

I'd rather play a short section where you slaughter entire armies with your magic and laugh as petty mortals attempt to harm you. Than a section where you play as some dead guy who can't even roll.

Hell, I've never read the books but it could be a great opportunity to show just how superior the average magic user is compared to your average mook and show why they have the position they have in society despite almost every sorcerer I've met having some ulterior motive.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Lycus posted:

I agree. Just taking Witcher 2 into account, I think Triss's voice actress was noticably the worst of the main characters. A friend of mine played through the prologue at my house, and even he commented on it.
I found Dandelion to be the worst. His very heavy American accent is so jarring and out-of-place.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's easier than it seems, you just have to pull them one at a time. I'm pretty sure they go down quicker than in the regular game as well (maybe less hitpoints).

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 20, 2014

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gaius Marius posted:

I agree that it's jarring, but I get why the designers did it that way. At that point you're not really Geralt, you're Geralt inhabiting the spirits of dead participants of the battle and recreating the battle. So that means no witcher tricks because the ghosts you're in didn't know witcher tricks - you can only fight as they knew how to fight. At least you get your skills back for the boss fight because that would be truly unfun with a gimped Geralt!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Eddain posted:

Is Geralt averse to using ranged weapons or is he just not skilled in them? I know you can throw knives and stuff but you never see him pick up a crossbow or use a bow for anything.

When you can canonically dodge bolts, what's the point in firing back. Go stab the fucker.

More accurately, he's trained in light crossbows, but nothing more. Thing is he's rarely in situations where he'd need it. Outside of the games, he's mainly a monster hunter, and monsters don't tend to attack you from ranged areas. And even if they did, somebody from his group of friends could usually handle that problem better then he could with a crossbow. He's also not hurting for ranged attacks, as he usually carries grenades of a sort, bolas, can throw his sword, and has ranged signs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Helith posted:

I agree that it's jarring, but I get why the designers did it that way. At that point you're not really Geralt, you're Geralt inhabiting the spirits of dead participants of the battle and recreating the battle. So that means no witcher tricks because the ghosts you're in didn't know witcher tricks - you can only fight as they knew how to fight. At least you get your skills back for the boss fight because that would be truly unfun with a gimped Geralt!

The in story justification is fine but the sections themselves need a lot of work if they are included in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Gaius Marius posted:

The in story justification is fine but the sections themselves need a lot of work if they are included in the sequel.

It's especially problematic given that the combat was very clearly designed around Geralt's superior maneuverability and so when you suddenly and without warning dump the player into a difficult combat scenario in which the only way to break contact is to literally turn around (thereby exposing your back to your enemy and possibly as much as 200% backstab modifier)...

Yeah, that was a pretty lovely section of the game the first time through.

And actually, the Letho fight was pretty bullshit the first time through as well, as he seems to be a regular witcher like you, only he has infinite consumables, infinite stamina and can tank more damage than a Super Star Destroyer.

• Locked thread