Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
The new matchmaking system is utter poo poo, and I can't see myself playing much longer if they implement charging for skips.

I've just skipped through >100 opponents, a whole 4 varied people, none of whom have more points than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009
The whole matching with people higher than you thing sucks as a lower-level player. My highest 3-star is Hulk, yet i get matched with people in the 80+ range. Why can't matches be made based on a range around your average level? Sure, I might take out a much higher level opponent with some luck, but isn't the retaliation going to wipe that out anyway?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION

Shroud posted:

The whole matching with people higher than you thing sucks as a lower-level player. My highest 3-star is Hulk, yet i get matched with people in the 80+ range. Why can't matches be made based on a range around your average level? Sure, I might take out a much higher level opponent with some luck, but isn't the retaliation going to wipe that out anyway?

Yep, the only way to get higher than the average in points is to play when very few other people are playing, and skip retaliation if they're playing at the same time as you.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Shroud posted:

The higher level team would probably have more points than you if they're being active. If they retaliate, you'll still be earning more points from them than you lose.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yesterday was the doom cover for 44 days. Today was heroic token, which was... another doom cover!

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Lost to the 125 Ares team when he used Sunder and killed himself. Despite Ares being dead, his 2 turn yellow countdown appeared and went off killing Thor. :argh:

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Got my first Invisible Woman today, so now I can fight any and all takers in the PVE events :woop: IW kinda seems like she could be fun in the incredibly unlikely event that I get more covers on her, but I don't know if the power justifies the rareness.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
That's nice. I dropped 299 points overnight and I'm still in 5th place.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
When you level up characters you've used in an event after you've stopped playing for the day, will that character's level carry over for when other people attack you? Or do you have to get into another match before the level updates?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Wow, just read about the charging for PVP skips. If shields weren't the nail in the coffin for PVP events for me that certainly is.

On the upside I'm having more fun with the Hunt events than I have playing this game in a while. MPQ gets a lot more fun when you stop bothering with the PVP side.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I hope people drop me lower in The Hunt. I'd rather get 3 Ares covers instead of a lovely Punisher one.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

BGrifter posted:

Wow, just read about the charging for PVP skips. If shields weren't the nail in the coffin for PVP events for me that certainly is.

Every time they touch this game, I get less and less invested. It's a neat game despite everything, but the layers and layers of thinly-disguised IAP encouragement really suck the enjoyment out of it, and they seem to be trying to add more, not less. It seems like they want even established players who've dropped cash to have to continually buy currency to keep improving their roster - you are gonna have to continually sink HP and ISO into tournaments if you want to play in them now. The last couple heroes released and their nerf targets seem to be encouraging long-lasting matches where everyone takes a lot of damage, to encourage health pack usage, too.

If ever there was a game that would have been better off as a $20 or $40 retail purchase, this is it, especially when the big whales compete in the same tournaments as free players or reasonable spenders. I've put 40 bucks in -- I should not feel at anywhere near the disadvantage I do. If I'd sunk that into League of Legends or Marvel Heroes, I'd have a decent stable of viable heroes (which translates to 3-star, honestly, since I'm already running into limits with my mainly 2-star roster) and I'd have reached a level of investment where there is little difference between me and someone who'd spent hundreds.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, in a lot of ways I can't blame them. If I was developing a freemium game with a big-name license and I saw Candy Crush and Clash of Clans making enough money to run TV commercials regularly, I'd go after that too.

But the freemium games that succeed do so because they're generous enough to cheapskates to let them play too. Pay-for-an-advantage, not pay-to-win or pay-to-play. MPQ is still in the first category... for now. I don't know if people who weren't playing from the beginning can say that, though. I've gotten a full-skilled Ares and Hero Points in four figures from The Hunt so far, but I've had that advantage.

Hunt status: One guy (thereck) in my bracket has topped 80K. Two more in the 79s. I'm 8th at 76377. I don't really need the 80K red Punisher cover (mine is 2/3/5) but it's interesting how few will get there in this event.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

delfin posted:

Well, in a lot of ways I can't blame them. If I was developing a freemium game with a big-name license and I saw Candy Crush and Clash of Clans making enough money to run TV commercials regularly, I'd go after that too.

But the freemium games that succeed do so because they're generous enough to cheapskates to let them play too. Pay-for-an-advantage, not pay-to-win or pay-to-play. MPQ is still in the first category... for now. I don't know if people who weren't playing from the beginning can say that, though. I've gotten a full-skilled Ares and Hero Points in four figures from The Hunt so far, but I've had that advantage.

Hunt status: One guy (thereck) in my bracket has topped 80K. Two more in the 79s. I'm 8th at 76377. I don't really need the 80K red Punisher cover (mine is 2/3/5) but it's interesting how few will get there in this event.

I've been playing about 20 days according to the daily rewards. I feel at a disadvantage but not too unfairly. I got a Wolverine Patch, and have 4 Ares covers, I'd love to have more but I also feel I don't deserve more because I've been playing a fairly short time, and am rather impressed that I have ranked as well as I have to be honest. I feel like I can climb to the top playing free, if that is true or not I have no idea, but it at least gives the feeling, so they haven't hosed that up yet. I'm sure it was easier before but its not impossible right now.

The game is probably headed in a poor direction though.

Yes the changes likely will make it harder to get a top 10 slot, charging for skips is just going to make the gap wider then it already is, because people are going to hit a point and go gently caress this I got my 200 point reward that's all I want.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I just wish I could stay in a position to get more covers so I can finally get out of the level 50 and lower hump because maybe then I can actually rise a bit in things without getting throttled by practically everything.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Got the 700 Point Ares cover from the rewards. Last battle was pretty hairy on paper but I didn't actually take much damage in the end. It was the perfect score to get to 700 and I guess that made me gloss over the levels entirely. Max level Ares, Spider-Man, Something-Nasty-Think-It-Was-Thor. Oops. Anyway, got what I was after, and now I'm getting destroyed again. Typical tournament. Time to never get so invested in one again. Until the next time I do. :v:

Found out that max level Magneto Classic is nasty though. That Purple power was something along the lines of 13 swaps, 500+ damage for each. That'll teach me to check levels before jumping in. (no it won't)

Ares now at 3/1/4, hopefully I'll get a few more from the Hunt, but I'm guessing the covers will dry up for a bit after that. Saying that, I did get a Black Doom from a Standard Token earlier. And I get a Green Hulk from the daily reward tomorrow. Sure, my Hulk's already maxed on Green, but 25 Hero Points aren't too shabby.

Also if it's for fighting in a tournament that's got a while to run, am I right in thinking it'd be more economical to just shield for three hours rather than buy five health packs? Worked pretty well for me this time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tournament will either get me a black punisher (which I need more of) or three Aries (I just need a green and red for max) so I win either way despite missing a few days to visit family. Currently 1st in Alaska too, though we'll see how long that holds out. 500HP would be tasty, and I've had a couple of 3rd place finishes this week.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think I got this :c00l:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Played a bit over 60 days (got my Rag Green a few days back) and I'm 4/3/5 on my Ares, one cover away from maxing him. Had to toss out at least one green and one yellow since I'm going 4/4/5. Missed out on a red cover from one of the sub-events since I fell to top 400 by focusing on the PVP event instead, but got top 50 in the first sub-event to make up for that. Just need top 200 in the third sub-event and I'm done with Ares.

Have yet to max any 3* Heroes. Closest are Spider-man (3/3/3), Iron Man 40 (3/5/2 with one Yellow in my Rewards), Punisher (2/2/4 and will be 3/2/4 by end of the event) and Green Widow (2/3/4).

I have a 4* Invisible Woman, with 0/1/1 but that was only possible back when first place didn't get the cards in second place, meaning that I got those covers by failing to get into second place.

Black Widow Original and Spider-man help drastically reduce my need for Health Packs, so I've got like 90 stored. Either I heal with BWO during PVE / PVP events, or I drag my team to the 112 Ragnarok fight and use Spidey to heal the team up. Helps that Ragnarok is far less formidable now with the nerf. All I have to do is deny him red and green matches, and steal from him when he does get them.

I'm not too upset by the skipping charge, since a) they're apparently going to be very small and b) the devs have said that their upping the amount of ISO-8 you get from winning a PVP match. The double cost of shielding means I'll just aim for top 45 or something at best, not bother shielding and save myself the HP.

I just wish I had a 5/5/0 Hood. Having two characters stealing AP would be so fun.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

delfin posted:

A big part of their problem is that they made some mistakes early on (like letting people accrue ~100 health packs, giving people thousands of freemium currency, etc) that messed up the Candy Crush formula of leaving people jonesing to play more and pay to keep playing or just having that waiting to play that makes it that much more addictive. They seem like they're scrambling to find other ways to make it work and as such are just doing the old throw poo poo at the wall approach til something doesn't slide off. Now that people have those expectations of being able to play whenever they feel like for as long as they feel like it just pisses people off when things are taken away from them.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This game is fun but it is just so obnoxious about pushing you into IAP. No, I am not going to shield myself to avoid falling even lower than my awesome rank 167, thank you.

Yes, let me visit my friendly neighborhood spider-healer to get back some of my hp because I am starting and I only have one character worth a drat.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Perhaps I'm just terrible at that sort of game, but when I tried Candy Crush the other day I fairly quickly got to a point where it became blindingly obvious that they expected me to pay for boosters/additional lives so I could keep playing (as apart from sheer dumb luck, there was no way to complete levels otherwise any longer). Not being someone who's into mobile games in general, I actually found that almost offensive and promptly deleted it. :shobon:

I don't exactly love MPQ, but for the most part (outside of PVP which I'm not too keen on no matter what) you can at least have a moderately good time without paying a dime. Sure, it's still annoyingly easy to get hosed over by tile–related randomness, but so far I never felt I was one IAP away from turning that loss into a win, or anything like that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MMAgCh posted:

Perhaps I'm just terrible at that sort of game, but when I tried Candy Crush the other day I fairly quickly got to a point where it became blindingly obvious that they expected me to pay for boosters/additional lives so I could keep playing (as apart from sheer dumb luck, there was no way to complete levels otherwise any longer). Not being someone who's into mobile games in general, I actually found that almost offensive and promptly deleted it. :shobon:

I don't exactly love MPQ, but for the most part (outside of PVP which I'm not too keen on no matter what) you can at least have a moderately good time without paying a dime. Sure, it's still annoyingly easy to get hosed over by tile–related randomness, but so far I never felt I was one IAP away from turning that loss into a win, or anything like that.

IAP basically just lets you get more cover space, or med packs if you want to play more. I mean you can buy covers, which is expensive and random. You can also directly invest in a skill you already have to level it up, but again expensive, and probably not worth spending real money on, $10 for one skill level up on a character that can be nerfed is huge. If you are winning events constantly and basically getting "free" IAP then by all means level up a skill. I think the main issue they have is things other then cover slots are just too expensive. If you wanted to "fast track" a hero to max you'd need 3 covers one of each color, and then $100 worth of IAP for a 3 star. Most 2 Stars probably aren't worth leveling other then Thor and Wolverine, but they are cheaper. That said both are slated to be nerfed I believe.

The shield is about the only thing that might be worth spending real money on, but you get Coins for placing high enough for it to be worth it. I just don't see what they are making money off of other then cover slots. Most RNG character recruitment games make all their money of "continues" allowing the person to keep all damage they have done and fully heal their guys. Well that and people actually feeling it worthwile to pull from the RNG, I think needing multiple copies of the same thing is really the off putting part here.

I think people would spend more money on covers if you could "feed" covers you don't want to level a skill. Same rarity only, 2 of the same hero to level another skill, or 4 of another hero of the same rarity. Right now it feels like a waste of currency to buy a token, saving $10 worth is a better value, and even that is poo poo.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

Supposedly the game gives you impossible starting boards expecting you to buy/use a booster in order to complete it. After a certain amount of tries and you don't bite on that IAP the starting board miraculously clears itself with a simple move, moving you on the next level where the cycle repeats.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Karnegal posted:

Yesterday was the doom cover for 44 days. Today was heroic token, which was... another doom cover!

This was me today, except I got a Rag cover~

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Eddain posted:

Supposedly the game gives you impossible starting boards expecting you to buy/use a booster in order to complete it. After a certain amount of tries and you don't bite on that IAP the starting board miraculously clears itself with a simple move, moving you on the next level where the cycle repeats.
Despite how quick people are to claim that [insert "match three" game] is completely cheating, I wouldn't be particularly surprised to find this was true. I've also read that the makers of Candy Crush are making stupendous amounts of money this way, though, so clearly a lot of people don't mind/care.

I guess that also means MPQ isn't so bad as far as mobile F2P games go? I really have very little experience with them. :v:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MMAgCh posted:

Despite how quick people are to claim that [insert "match three" game] is completely cheating, I wouldn't be particularly surprised to find this was true. I've also read that the makers of Candy Crush are making stupendous amounts of money this way, though, so clearly a lot of people don't mind/care.

I guess that also means MPQ isn't so bad as far as mobile F2P games go? I really have very little experience with them. :v:

Most F2P games that are fair start out good and make money off basically one time purchases, and get $5-20 from a bunch of people who will never spend more money who want to support someone making a game that is free and fair. Then they do some sort of competitive event and notice some whale dumped over 1k. The people that have played awhile don't have to sink money into the game anymore unless they want a top 10 slot for whatever that item is. The game starts making less money, someone in marketing wants more money and tries to come up with ways to milk the people who have enough sense to realize that spending $1000 on a game is stupid. The game slowly dies and falls into obscurity.

I mean some games do well, Puzzle and Dragon seems to do well in that they give enough premium currency that if you spend it only during events you can end up with powerful enough monsters to do all the events, while still coming out with new stuff pretty constantly with enough rare things that someone -needs- the monster that is the best and will dump $1k into the game. I mean PAD is the number 1 grossing game in the Android store even though when I played it I always felt completely viable having spend nothing.

If you aren't going to spend anything you can't expect to compete with whales but you should be able to feel that you are progressing still and able to place well in rankings. I love the Brackets in MPQ I feel that with a bit of luck even a F2P person could nab first after playing long enough to get the right heroes in the first place.

Currently MPQ is still doing good in fairness, but the upcoming changes look like marketing might start to tank it. The "good" news is most games that get tanked often are still possible to play free if you don't stop and played before it tanked, it just becomes impossible without either spending several hundred or several years to catch up with the old school people.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION
The Hunt is over! Again!

Well, pretty sure I finished 2nd in savage, 3rd in the other one, and 3rd overall. Swimming in covers! Finished at around 80040 points, too. Now just to wait for their servers to crank out the rewards.

Looks like the new tournament has Ares, Loki, Ragnorok, Storms, and Thor as buffed heroes for the new PVP tournament. At least it's a bit of a change.

e: Yup, accurate, woo, i'm up 800hp. Or 975 after I sold all the punishers I don't need

iRend fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 20, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

These 10 day long events are the worst and I cant muster any enthusiasm for them towards the end.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Both of my last two goes at the 200s in Florida ended with them getting massive chains (just bad luck), and my go at a lower one ended just after deadline. I was in 2nd before I started that one, we'll see if I'm still in 2nd when it finally rolls in.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

These 10 day long events are the worst and I cant muster any enthusiasm for them towards the end.

Yes. I used to look forward to a new event. Now they show up and I just feel like I have a new job. I need to stop worrying about trying to collect everything, it's not worth it. Might be time for me to just move on altogether.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Overall finished in the top 120 for the total PvE event. I'm happy with getting the 3 Ares covers as it will give me a 2/3/1 Ares which is decent considering how new I am to the game.

I'm really annoyed at some of the hunt missions though. Not having all the heroes at this stage meant that there were a number of battles that I just couldn't do, and that meant that there was no way for me to finish better than 200 for 2/3 missions. I understand them wanting to provide end game battles for people with the level 200+ fights (which I could no way do with my current team) but why limit the level 100 fights that were actually at the challenge 'sweet spot' for me (i.e. hard to beat, but not impossible) by requiring certain heroes? I don't have Hawkeye modern or Punisher so that was like 2k worth of points that I just couldn't access in those missions.

Still enjoying this game a ton, and looking forward to boosting my team up with my saved up tokens and reward covers.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
The prize gap between the lovely Punisher black and Ares triple made me not even bother trying to get a high score. Having to jump 60 ranks just to get two Punisher covers instead of one is not worth it.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

what's with the reward levels on OBW in this new tourney? 46-75 gets 2 blue and a purple? why not 1/1/1?

BTW, I love that they're making a plethora of good 2 star covers the mid tier rewards in these things. Getting Cstorm to max was a godsend, and OBW is probably next on my list to get pumped.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was walking home and thought I'd check in where I was - discovered there was only 19 minutes left on the clock and I hadn't even started Florida!

That was pretty fun - working against a tight schedule seeing how much ISO I could suck out of the map before the event ended. I got four recruit tokens and ~4k ISO, hit the 60k Hero Points reward - and snagged a top 150 finish which was pretty cool.

SynthOrange posted:

I agree, although it's not so much the length that wears me down as the sheer amount of content that repeats. The Hunt is the worst - if it were just the three maps with ten days to finish it it would be fine, but the constant resetting of the maps and the sheer number of missions makes it a slog every other day to get the rewards and place.

Retromancer posted:

what's with the reward levels on OBW in this new tourney? 46-75 gets 2 blue and a purple? why not 1/1/1?
Either black is intended to be rarer than the other powers, or they're copy&pasting from their reward levels from before black was implemented. There's been several tourneys for her both before and after she had a black power that have had that, and I think it's only been given away as a single cover rather than part of a full suite.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 20, 2014

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Wooo top 2 in the hunt, now I finally have an invisible woman so when they rerun the hunt in 3 days I'll have access to three more missions.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
God drat, got bumped down a bracket and now my Ares is 1 green cover shy of complete :(

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Another couple top 50s and finished 3rd overall. Completed Punisher at 5/3/5.

Divine tournament prizes don't interest me, so just going to aim for 500 point prize and top 150.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

so what's the preferred build on Ares right now? 4/4/5?

also I'm super mad that I accidentally put a 4th yellow on my spider man. I've completely hosed up my build on him, but I've gotten 4 covers for him all in yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Retromancer posted:

so what's the preferred build on Ares right now? 4/4/5?

also I'm super mad that I accidentally put a 4th yellow on my spider man. I've completely hosed up my build on him, but I've gotten 4 covers for him all in yellow.

Yep. 4/4/5

Spiderman can be fine at 4/5/4. The key is 5 in blue. The sure purple is better than yellow, but it's not a big deal. Once you complete one, you'll drown in covers. I finished mine a couple weeks ago, and now my second spiderman is like 2/3/1 already.