Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

jackpot posted:

Lightroom 5 question; bear with me, I'll get to the point someday:
Can you try reopening LR using one of the catalog backups? Double click on the backup .lrcat file and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Pukestain Pal posted:

From what I am reading, the X-Pro 1 is supported in 4.1 and up.

"Supported" and "supported well enough so that images don't look like a watercolor painting" are two entirely different things. I'm considering jumping ship away from LR myself.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

Can you try reopening LR using one of the catalog backups? Double click on the backup .lrcat file and see what happens.
This should always be step 1 in case of LR trouble. If you're happy with the result, don't forget to copy the backup back to your working directory.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Helicity posted:

"Supported" and "supported well enough so that images don't look like a watercolor painting" are two entirely different things. I'm considering jumping ship away from LR myself.

Exactly. I'm at a work so I can't bring up any examples of my own work, but here's a comparison someone did using the two latest versions of Adobe Camera Raw and Capture One. Look at the detail in the leaves; in ACR it's smeary mush while in C1 it's fine.

To view @ 100%

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

That 70s Shirt posted:

Exactly. I'm at a work so I can't bring up any examples of my own work, but here's a comparison someone did using the two latest versions of Adobe Camera Raw and Capture One. Look at the detail in the leaves; in ACR it's smeary mush while in C1 it's fine.

To view @ 100%

sounds like C1 is the tool for you then.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Saint Fu posted:

evil_bunnY posted:

This should always be step 1 in case of LR trouble. If you're happy with the result, don't forget to copy the backup back to your working directory.
Thanks, this is great. Ok, I've opened up the backup and now at least LR isn't dying on me - when I had it recreate previews, suddenly things looked a lot better. But they don't have the latest processing I've done to them (that makes sense; I'm using a backup from before I'd finished). I have the sidecar files, how do I bring those in? If I right-click and go Metadata -> Read metadata from file, it gives me the option to

Read metadata from selected file?
This will overwrite the metadata in the lightroom catalog with metadata from the file. This operation is not undoable.

Besides undoable not being a word (they can't just say "this operation cannot be undone"?), this doesn't pull in what I know to be the latest processing. How do I get what's in those xmp files imported?

Goddamnit what a pain in the rear end. It's not a disaster - I'd already finished the wedding and given them their photos - but man, am I gonna make sure to let Lightroom make its backup more often next time.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Thanks, this is great. Ok, I've opened up the backup and now at least LR isn't dying on me - when I had it recreate previews, suddenly things looked a lot better. But they don't have the latest processing I've done to them (that makes sense; I'm using a backup from before I'd finished). I have the sidecar files, how do I bring those in? If I right-click and go Metadata -> Read metadata from file, it gives me the option to

Read metadata from selected file?
This will overwrite the metadata in the lightroom catalog with metadata from the file. This operation is not undoable.

Besides undoable not being a word (they can't just say "this operation cannot be undone"?), this doesn't pull in what I know to be the latest processing. How do I get what's in those xmp files imported?

Goddamnit what a pain in the rear end. It's not a disaster - I'd already finished the wedding and given them their photos - but man, am I gonna make sure to let Lightroom make its backup more often next time.
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, have you also tried rolling back the lrcat from time Machine? It might have more recent versions than your last LR backup.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

thetzar posted:

Out of curiosity, have you also tried rolling back the lrcat from time Machine? It might have more recent versions than your last LR backup.
I'm not using Time Machine. This is my work laptop, so work stuff is backed up on the server, and personal stuff I just copy over to an external drive occasionally.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I came across a shot that I thought would make for a nice first HDR attempt. Now obviously I'm a big, fat photography baby and I thought you'd just press Photoshops "HDR Pro" button and then magic happens and a nice picture comes out. This seems not to be the case.

Here's my original 7 shots:

This is what it looks like when I load them into HDR Pro (1) and the "best" I can get out of it(2). Also, the picture looks much different than the preview when I accept and load it into Photoshop? (3):

The grass on the right is pretty nice but everything else looks like crap. For comparison, I've laid one of the brighter exposures on top of the HDR Pro image and carelessly erased all but some of the grass and the bench. I think it's an improvement, but if I have to fix the whole picture manually, why bother with HDR Pro?

Should I bother with HDR Pro? I mean, some of the original images look better than this stuff.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Honestly, I like this better (with a little work) than anything you'll get with HDR with this series.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Entenzahn posted:

Should I bother with HDR Pro? I mean, some of the original images look better than this stuff.
Do you have Lightroom? If so, upload to photoshop as HDR pro, change to 16 bit mode, save file, go back to LR and play with the whites/highlights/shadows/blacks to get something nicer. It won't look so fake as the stuff PS spits out directly.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Entenzahn posted:

I came across a shot that I thought would make for a nice first HDR attempt. Now obviously I'm a big, fat photography baby and I thought you'd just press Photoshops "HDR Pro" button and then magic happens and a nice picture comes out. This seems not to be the case.

Heads up- if you decide to go down the HDR path (don't) you should definitely refrain from using it on thin branches like that, it always turns out looking like poo poo. Pretty much all trees, really. Pretty much everything, really. But get it out of your system, it's okay. (I did)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Yeah, I think everybody goes through that phase at some point. As long as you eventually realize it's hideous and don't make that your "thing" then I don't think it matters.

That would be a nice photo for some multiple exposure blending for sure, though.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Can blend modes be used to create HDR images?

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I don't have Lightroom. I got tired of mucking about in HDR Pro and went with a single exposure for this one.

That said, I still can't wrap my head around why it looked so poo poo. I thought the whole point of HDR was that you'de get a nicely exposed picture in a situation that would otherwise have too high of a dynamic range, ie too bright brights and too dark darks. I didn't expect this to turn into some grey sludge. Guess I still have a lot to learn.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

At least you recognised it for what it was.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Entenzahn posted:

I thought the whole point of HDR was that you'de get a nicely exposed picture in a situation that would otherwise have too high of a dynamic range, ie too bright brights and too dark darks.

That's what real HDR is, but not what those terrible auto-HDR poo poo clarity slider to 100 programs do. Unfortunately what has become "HDR photography" isn't actually HDR at all.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Yeah, you can blend exposures to get (surprise) a high dynamic range, but more often than not, what people put out with HDR programs is a neon shotgun blast of saturated color to the face. It doesn't help that Trey Ratcliff pioneered the HDR movement--his work is basically what everybody aspires to, albeit more competently executed than most.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That's what real HDR is, but not what those terrible auto-HDR poo poo clarity slider to 100 programs do. Unfortunately what has become "HDR photography" isn't actually HDR at all.

It's loving disgusting and I hate "HDR"

404notfound posted:

Yeah, you can blend exposures to get (surprise) a high dynamic range, but more often than not, what people put out with HDR programs is a neon shotgun blast of saturated color to the face. It doesn't help that Trey Ratcliff pioneered the HDR movement--his work is basically what everybody aspires to, albeit more competently executed than most.

Yuck. Most of his stuff is terrible. I wish the "HDR" crutch would just go away.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Ratliff is a great example of how social media is artificially inflating the value of mediocre to average photographers.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ratcliff is an extremely skilled SEO and marketing whore but he's a poo poo writer and a shittier photographer.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I'd still like to ask for some advice on getting real nonfakey HDR though. This is the current picture:

What I originally wanted to do with HDR Pro was to give more exposure to the foreground, and I still think the shot would benefit from a little more light in the bottom third. What would be the best way to go about that? Right now I'm thinking, open one of the brighter exposures in Photo RAW, copy over the settings from the darker picture, load it into Photoshop, paste it over and erase the stuff I don't want to brighten. Does this make sense or is there a better workflow?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Use adjustment layer masks on the image to selectively adjust parts lighter or darker for preference. Probably with curves.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Ratcliff is an extremely skilled SEO and marketing whore but he's a poo poo writer and a shittier photographer.

His compositions aren't terrible, but yeah - the colors are atrocious.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Just popped in to say if you're not using Lightroom's lens corrections to straighten your lines, you need to be. Jesus, this is awesome, I had no idea it was here until a few weeks ago. Shooting people against a brick wall can still an exercise in frustration (if you're up close and wide it can be a real mess), but everything else is fantastic.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Entenzahn posted:

I'd still like to ask for some advice on getting real nonfakey HDR though. This is the current picture:

What I originally wanted to do with HDR Pro was to give more exposure to the foreground, and I still think the shot would benefit from a little more light in the bottom third. What would be the best way to go about that? Right now I'm thinking, open one of the brighter exposures in Photo RAW, copy over the settings from the darker picture, load it into Photoshop, paste it over and erase the stuff I don't want to brighten. Does this make sense or is there a better workflow?

If you have access to Photoshop (or Jackpot might be describing a similar method for LR, I don't know that program as well), you could just put the foreground exposure you want on top of the background exposure you want and mask them out. Very roughly, like:

Assuming all you want is a properly exposed shot front to back.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 21, 2014

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

jackpot posted:

Just popped in to say if you're not using Lightroom's lens corrections to straighten your lines, you need to be. Jesus, this is awesome, I had no idea it was here until a few weeks ago. Shooting people against a brick wall can still an exercise in frustration (if you're up close and wide it can be a real mess), but everything else is fantastic.

... and if you *do* use a lot of wide-angle lenses, I can definitely suggest dXo Viewpoint 2. The mode I use most often is the 8-point perspective correction. Basically, you pick out two horizontal lines and two vertical lines, which should be square to one another, and it does its best to nudge the image around to eliminate perspective distortion without messing up faces. I've found it to give me a little more latitude than Lightroom's built-in correction, and usually ends up cropping less around the edges.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

bisticles posted:

... and if you *do* use a lot of wide-angle lenses, I can definitely suggest dXo Viewpoint 2. The mode I use most often is the 8-point perspective correction. Basically, you pick out two horizontal lines and two vertical lines, which should be square to one another, and it does its best to nudge the image around to eliminate perspective distortion without messing up faces. I've found it to give me a little more latitude than Lightroom's built-in correction, and usually ends up cropping less around the edges.
Oh god I must have this. I've been longing for this exact functionality for years.
e:

Saint Fu posted:

Is there an easier way to use the filter>distort>lens correction in PS? What I'm imagining is similar to the angle correction where you draw a straight line and it automatically rotates it to make the horizontal. What I want from the distortion correction (specifically that vertical and horizontal transform functions) is to be able to draw a straight line which I want to be the right vertical of the image, a line for the left vertical and lines for the top and bottom and for it to stretch/transform/rotate and crop to that size. I took some pictures of big apartment buildings in Hong Kong and I want to make all of the lines perfectly straight with square angles but I can't seem to find the right combination of vert and horizontal transform and angle adjustment.

Has anyone else shared my frustration on something like this?

e: Here's an example:
. I have the left and bottoms pretty much straight and square but the top and right aren't. If I fiddle with the angle or vert/hotiz transpose sliders, it fucks up the left or bottom.

Saint Fu posted:

A little tough with such a small source image but all I did was -40 on the vertical and -1.0 on rotate under the manual lens correction in Lightroom. Is that better?

e: I find the best way to go about it is to rotate first so that an imaginary line running horizontally along the center of the image is parallel to the ground. Then I futz with the vertical to get the verticals mostly parallel. Then if it isn't good, I try the horizontal which will probably mess up the rotation/vertical so I slowly keep repeating until it is good enough or I say gently caress it and give up.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

spf3million fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 21, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I just press the upright button, sometimes followed by some cursing.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

So the added in laser/neon/whatever lines in this photo have kind of piqued my interest for future shoots. I'm having a hard time on google trying to find other examples of this.

The effect itself doesn't seem that complicated but I could seem to replicate it in a way that I liked with my own photos. Anyone have any ideas?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

iSheep posted:

So the added in laser/neon/whatever lines in this photo have kind of piqued my interest for future shoots. I'm having a hard time on google trying to find other examples of this.

The effect itself doesn't seem that complicated but I could seem to replicate it in a way that I liked with my own photos. Anyone have any ideas?

needs more lens flare

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Pukestain Pal posted:

needs more lens flare

and clarity slider

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Reminds me of these things
http://www.hoyafilter.com/hoya/products/specialeffectsfilters/star8/

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ooooohh. That is neat.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

iSheep posted:

Ooooohh. That is neat.

something like that

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

iSheep posted:

Draw lines in new layer in Photoshop, blend mode = soft light, opacity 50%. Maybe other blend modes are better, play around with it.
I don't like it, but it could be done that way.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
EDIT: It seems to be some kind of hosed up instagram filter software that decided to crash it self, lock up Lightroom and forcing me to restart firefox. I do not have any patience so I most likely will never find out if it actually is any good. Sorry if I ruined the day for anyone else by providing the link.

Perfect Effect 8 is free for one day to download and a license for two computers.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/pe8offer/

I don't know if it is any good, but it is free until tomorrow 28th January.

erephus fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 27, 2014

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

iSheep posted:

I think a really good idea is for you to not recreate that lovely effect.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

iSheep posted:

Its just Lanz Flare (ya know, Rick Flares German Brother), deploy it at your own risk. (dont).

Musket fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

erephus posted:

EDIT: It seems to be some kind of hosed up instagram filter software that decided to crash it self, lock up Lightroom and forcing me to restart firefox. I do not have any patience so I most likely will never find out if it actually is any good. Sorry if I ruined the day for anyone else by providing the link.

Perfect Effect 8 is free for one day to download and a license for two computers.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/pe8offer/

I don't know if it is any good, but it is free until tomorrow 28th January.

is this broken or okay to try?

• Locked thread