Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
What's the Skeptoid guy podcast like? I know nothing about the guy other than the Wikipedia entry. Is he taking Joe to task about the crazy conspiracy stuff or are they jerking each other off about Libertarians, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
They argue a lot.

I like his podcast but find his fake radio guy voice grating and he's a little goofy. I didn't know that stuff about eBay that's pretty crazy.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
Joe seems like he's a lot better at justifying his reasoning for believing in conspiracy theories than somebody whose career revolves around talking about why that reasoning is misguided.

It's like the guy exists in a skeptic hug box where he has never actually had to interact with anybody who says "I believe this because *list of reasons*"

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Dunning's podcast is very (100%) scripted and he doesn't just "talk" and you can tell based on his appearance on TJRE. There were a few times when Joe would say something and Dunning would have nothing. That's not necessarily a criticism, because the words just don't flow well for some people. You can tell Dunning is more measured with his speech.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It felt to me like Rogan brought Dunning on to smack him down for putting Rogan on his list of pseudo-science celebrities... even though they agree about quite a bit (except the plausibility of conspiracy theories). I feel like Rogan does this a lot to people he feels are "silly bitches" and turns the episode into a quasi thearpy session working out their "issues." Another episode that I felt was like this was the one where he and Jamie Kilstein had that huge argument about whether rape can be funny or not.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
He concluded that Dunning just had to smoke a little weed and consume a pot brownie to chill out a bit. I cringed when they spent 40 minutes arguing about what Rogan's friend and previous guest, Dr Mark Gordon, had or hadn't said, and played a clip from that episode TWICE. Which didn't settle anything.

"1000mg of vitamin C"

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ZeroDays posted:

He concluded that Dunning just had to smoke a little weed and consume a pot brownie to chill out a bit. I cringed when they spent 40 minutes arguing about what Rogan's friend and previous guest, Dr Mark Gordon, had or hadn't said, and played a clip from that episode TWICE. Which didn't settle anything.

"1000mg of vitamin C"

Yeah... that's exactly what I mean. That argument was so ridiculous and off topic, and it felt like it was Rogan just trying to get him to admit that he was jumping to conclusions, and was wrong. Like Rogan was just mentally wearing him down. Awkward but highly entertaining in a morbid sort of way.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Yeah... that's exactly what I mean. That argument was so ridiculous and off topic, and it felt like it was Rogan just trying to get him to admit that he was jumping to conclusions, and was wrong. Like Rogan was just mentally wearing him down. Awkward but highly entertaining in a morbid sort of way.

It was weird and entertaining to listen to but I wouldn't ever recommend that episode to any of my friends.

It was nice to actually hear Joe say that he generally just thinks that conspiracy theories are fun things to speculate on, because it's hard powering through a lot of poo poo he says if you think he actually believes it in an earnest sort of way.

A Keg fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 18, 2014

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
I'm going to dig through this thread some but it is assumed that Stephen Molyneaux was an idiot right? Like I have literally listened to 300+ episodes and I literally couldn't stand that guy. I only listened to the first hour but just the numbers he was talking about just didn't seem like fact at all.

Edit:literally the loving page before. God he is an idiot. I don't know why I love the JRE so much. I'm so glad Redban is gone.

Edit2: The Steve Rinella podcast was amazing I thought.

Chocolate fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 19, 2014

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

Yeah, even though I have no interest in hunting, Steve Rinella is great to listen to, a really level-headed, chill guy. I think it was his December 2011 appearance that was my first ever JRE podcast.

Redban does appear from time to time. I don't mind him as much in small doses, but the podcast doesn't really lose anything by not having him present, whereas I used to think it would.

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011

ZeroDays posted:

Yeah, even though I have no interest in hunting, Steve Rinella is great to listen to, a really level-headed, chill guy. I think it was his December 2011 appearance that was my first ever JRE podcast.

Redban does appear from time to time. I don't mind him as much in small doses, but the podcast doesn't really lose anything by not having him present, whereas I used to think it would.

Yeah I agree. I am just glad with his diminished airtime. I love the podcast's with Bryan Callen, I can't remember who said it before but when they act like he is the smart one it's just loving hilarious.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The Neal Brennan podcast was pretty underwhelming.

Joe seemed quite argumentative over petty poo poo too.

The John Hackleman podcast is up now too, just grabbing it now.

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011

Pocket Billiards posted:

The Neal Brennan podcast was pretty underwhelming.

Joe seemed quite argumentative over petty poo poo too.

The John Hackleman podcast is up now too, just grabbing it now.

Steve Rinella was amazing, the last three have been a little iffy. I really wish I could say with certainty that Peter Schiff is a dumbass. Any suggestion's on a book I could read to get a good basis of knowledge in the kind of economics that Peter Schiff talks about? I mean I am just some rear end in a top hat who took a couple of econ classes and everything I have led to the man makes me think he is just an idiot. I really hope this is just a bad stretch that we can get out of.

Edit: listening to him talk about minimum wage and Walmart stirs up the proletariat in me.

Chocolate fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 23, 2014

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Man gently caress this schiff guy.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Evil Agita posted:

Man gently caress this schiff guy.

Yeah he's opening up with the same old Libertarian "the government is ruining the free market" spiel I've been hearing since Econ 101.

EDIT: Oh, so his job is in investments. So he doesn't do anything but play the stock market, no loving wonder he's a free market cultist. Everything that business does wrong is the government's fault and would never have happened in the free market gently caress me.

Joe should loving ask him about the East India Trading Company and see how that free market went about its business.

EDIT EDIT: Ha yeah, now Joe's actually tearing him up over BP, come on Joe, this is your time to be smart.

EDIT3: And now he's talking about how federal employees are overpaid and don't produce anything and he's an INVESTOR. He doesn't produce anything!

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 23, 2014

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
It's not his fault, the government is forcing him to do it.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
John Hackleman episode was really cool MMA chat wise

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011

willie_dee posted:

John Hackleman episode was really cool MMA chat wise

Yeah was pretty cool. Was interesting to see a trainer who was protective of his fighters like that. That podcast was one of the worst things a guy like Peter Schiff could do. He looked like an absolute fool. Some of the things Joe was saying didn't really hold up but him just jerking off about free market capitalism was so painful.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
The Schiff episode is something else. It's really grating on my nerves to agree with so many of his points when the ones I don't agree with make him seem like such a piece of poo poo.

It takes some gall for an investment banker to recommend someone getting a "real job" without even a hint of irony. He also has a terrible tendency to remove any sense of accountability from the private sector and paint everything but the government as purely reactionary forces that plagues most talking heads from the financial industry.

And I haven't even gotten to the part where he says that poors just shouldn't have families (I'm just assuming this one comes up to round out the "I fellate billionaires" trifecta).

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
So did Joe completely buy into Bitcoin because his twitter feed lately has been filled with stuff about it.

I will not listen to podcasts like Schiff or any other fringe expert because it just irritates me.

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
Holy poo poo the podcast with Cara Santa Maria is dumb. Here her rehash a bunch of buzz words and her cynic view was just so frustrating to listen to. People like her are the worst, some of these comedians act like they are so loving smart it's unbelievable.

-Atom- posted:

So did Joe completely buy into Bitcoin because his twitter feed lately has been filled with stuff about it.

I will not listen to podcasts like Schiff or any other fringe expert because it just irritates me.

I don't think he is 100% in but the idea of the collapse of the us economy is a very real thought to Joe. I think low key he is a doomsday prepper. That's why he has started to hunt and do a lot of stuff like that. Schiff was horrible. Cara Santa Maria was pretty dumb too.

Chocolate fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 29, 2014

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
Cara isn't actually a comedian, though. She used to be a neuroscientist until she realized that she stood to make more money/get more popular writing instead of being a lab monkey for some researchers with better degrees than her.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah are you retarded? What gave you the impression she was a comedian?

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
I like ow redban trolled joe during the tom segura episode. Redband talked about his theory of life, that he thinks we are all gods playing a game. Joe lambasted him pretty much saying it's crazy and why would redband limit himself. Except that Joe played this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEMnwI2G2U0

Alan watts talking about the same exact thing

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

Who was it that was calling Redban "Redband" at one point? It was amusing, as it wasn't someone trying to diss him or anything, just that they genuinely didn't know his real (stage) name.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Pretty sure that was Joey. I think Dice also called him Redman.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So is Redban off the show or something now? He hasn't been in the past few episodes, has he?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So is Redban off the show or something now? He hasn't been in the past few episodes, has he?

He is traveling the rurld

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
He is making his excape from dessquad.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
andstufflikethat

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Brian mentioned the origins of his nickname on one podcast before. It could have even been the Alison Rosen one he was a guest on. It was 'Redband' like the trailers, but that was already taken or he mistyped it or something.

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin

Cromulent posted:

andstufflikethat

"Whole entire rrrorld"

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
isnt it wrold?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Immortal Technique is up.

I think 'War Machine' is going to be on the podcast soon too, John Koppenhaver or whatever his name is.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I haven't listened to this podcast in months and months. Have there been any standout episodes lately?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Shane Smith/Eddie Huang was pretty good.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
:siren: new Joey Diaz episode :siren:

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

Cucktales Blogger posted:

:siren: new Joey Diaz episode :siren:

I was having the worst day today until I saw that. Another great episode

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

... and I'll be like word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Campbell McLaren podcast is pretty decent.

Lots of old school UFC talk. Campbell has a good sense of humour too.