Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

tehloki posted:

Surely there's a higher sev code for if someone on the team has accidentally literally terminated him, with like, a forklift, or whatever

Sev 5: Power struggle occupying every manager in company, they will rubber stamp ANYTHING right now. Do what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Varkk posted:

Reality: people will become dependent on the setup. Upgrade will never happen, when it all goes down in flames they will blame you.

I will be sure to do much CYA regarding end of life. There is at least a chance that the VPN will not be handled by Windows, but by an ASA set up by someone in head office.

The alternative option is to use a Windows 7 desktop and run everything off that so...

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
And another two laptops turn into one. One of them had been ripped out of its docking station breaking both the bottom cover and the base frame that the motherboard and palmrest/keyboard mounts to, the other one had clear black spots on the LCD where someone was jabbing their finger to point at something.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

evobatman posted:

And another two laptops turn into one. One of them had been ripped out of its docking station breaking both the bottom cover and the base frame that the motherboard and palmrest/keyboard mounts to, the other one had clear black spots on the LCD where someone was jabbing their finger to point at something.

You should get anthropologists into your office, clearly you've discovered a surviving neanderthal population.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Did you do this during a lightning storm, and when you got it to work, shout "It's alive! IT'S ALIVE! AHAHAHA!"?

Also, who will be the lucky recipient of the Frankenlaptop?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

tehloki posted:

Surely there's a higher sev code for if someone on the team has accidentally literally terminated him, with like, a forklift, or whatever

Forklift "accidents" are under Facilities' jurisdiction.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Zemyla posted:

Did you do this during a lightning storm, and when you got it to work, shout "It's alive! IT'S ALIVE! AHAHAHA!"?

Also, who will be the lucky recipient of the Frankenlaptop?

I have built tons of far worse creations than this, my own Dell Studio XPS 13 is on its fourth CPU taken from progressively more powerful Latitude E6400s that have been smashed by users, second set of RAM from an E6420 and third SSD. Its WWAN also comes from an E6420. It's so old by now, but I can't justify replacing it as long as it's working.

Frankenlaptop (E6430, now with display from E6420) will go onto the pile of functional laptops that we hand out to new employees. Turnover can be brutal in periods, so we often have practically brand new equipment that has been used for a few weeks and then handed in again. It's how I'm swimming in Apple gear that nobody cares about, have an Intel 335 SSD RAID in my E6430, and how I got my iPhone 5C (the only one in the company). The RAM from the smashed E6420 from today went into my E6410 Nvidia Hackbook Pro with Intel SSD.

So bottom line, work in Big Oil.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Speaking of laptops, while working with our manager of security she said she had a laptop that had been surrendered to security a while ago*; it might have been stolen and then retreived, she wasn't sure. I thought it was the laptop the one user in marketing had stolen from her car, but then I get handed this.

McAffee says it is 14 years out of date, it's running Windows 95 version 4, and came with a PCMCIA 10base2/10baseT NIC with dongle. Not sure what we're going to do with it, no one wants to recycle it because of the novelty/nostalgia factor.

*She later clarified "before I even started here as a security guard"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Those are fun to keep around just to show people how far we've come.

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008
Use it as a loaner for people you don't particularly like?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The CEO asked me to get hold music for our phone system. I went with Mood's little system (formerly Muzak) and found that it can be scheduled to play certain channels at certain times. So now it plays Adult Contemporary all day but between midnight and 3am it plays METAL! :black101:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lum posted:

I will be sure to do much CYA regarding end of life. There is at least a chance that the VPN will not be handled by Windows, but by an ASA set up by someone in head office.

The alternative option is to use a Windows 7 desktop and run everything off that so...

I feel so sorry for you. There is so little chance of this ending well - as soon as you implement it on rubbish-dump quality hardware and it sort of works you will be whisked away to work on something else and it will never be talked about again. Until it breaks, then it will be your project again.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

The CEO asked me to get hold music for our phone system. I went with Mood's little system (formerly Muzak) and found that it can be scheduled to play certain channels at certain times. So now it plays Adult Contemporary all day but between midnight and 3am it plays METAL! :black101:

Not that this is what happened to you, but it reminded me of something. Man do I hate when people just assume you'll take care of everything when there happens to be a computer involved.

I was working support for a conference, basically babysitting a projector and ensuring the sound went out to the speakers that the sound dude set up (before he disappeared). During a "trade show" type meet and greet where everyone was milling around, the president of my company quickly walks up to me and says, "Where is the music?"

"...the music?"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

odiv posted:

Not that this is what happened to you, but it reminded me of something. Man do I hate when people just assume you'll take care of everything when there happens to be a computer involved.

I was working support for a conference, basically babysitting a projector and ensuring the sound went out to the speakers that the sound dude set up (before he disappeared). During a "trade show" type meet and greet where everyone was milling around, the president of my company quickly walks up to me and says, "Where is the music?"

"...the music?"

People assume this about the guy running the AV stuff, too. A few times in college people at events would ask me when I was going to start playing "the music" while people milled around and I would tell them "I mean, I can plug in my phone, but you're probably not gonna like what comes out."

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Lum posted:

So our regional office is actually going to get some servers, currently it just has a couple of non-networked workstations.

I've been tasked with setting it all up, it'll be an AD domain, VPN access for all us home workers, the ticket system will be hosted there, as will our source control.

Sounds great, just a couple of caveats:

1) It's two hours to drive there, four hours to drive back
2) The servers I get to use are the PowerEdge 2950s (2) and 1950s (3) that were taken out of our old satellite office a few years back
3) They're licensed for 1x Win 2003 R2 Standard OEM, 2x Win 2003 R2 Enterprise OEM and 2x Win 2003 R2 64bit Standard OEM.
4) My budget is zero.
5) There are no backup devices.

Time to start drinking again.

What's the current best practice for naming a Win2003 domain, with a view to it later being borged by the rest of the company. I'm guessing at something like sitename.contoso.com?

Ummmmm literally install Linux on two of your servers and get a Google Apps domain for all of your users. Do source control on Confluence or something. Anything is cheaper in the long run than supporting that amalgamation of worst practice.

Are they planning on merging your storage and mail with the company DB? They should just get you set up there now and have you VPN into the main branch from your regional office

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ticket: Users lotus notes is locked up due to a large attachment.

Problem: User accidentally attached his 92gb C:\ drive. :cripes:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

People assume this about the guy running the AV stuff, too. A few times in college people at events would ask me when I was going to start playing "the music" while people milled around and I would tell them "I mean, I can plug in my phone, but you're probably not gonna like what comes out."

Even more so when I was a sound tech. "Sure I can play some background music while the DJs are setting up their poo poo, but I only have one CD in the drive rack for testing the PA and that's No Doubt - Rock Steady. Hope they get it set up before the uptempo songs are over :v:".

(I think one conference I was running got all Steely Dan all the time in the breaks)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Great Beer posted:

Problem: User accidentally attached his 92gb C:\ drive. :cripes:

Why would Lotus let you attach a whole drive Nah, it isn't even worth asking, the answer is just "It is Lotus."

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Roargasm posted:

Ummmmm literally install Linux on two of your servers
I, too, often think "your tiny department that doesn't have the budget to buy new Windows licenses or keep up infrastructure should install Linux, because that will make things simpler".

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a bunch of tickets came in.

Internet speeds are super slow. I ran a few speed tests, were getting 1.4mbit down and 1.2 mbit up average. Like i said before, we should be getting 10mbit up and down. One of the users sends a screenshot of a speed test to the CEO, all board members and CC's me on it. So i forward it off to the Sr. Tech and Account lead so neither of them are caught by surprise. I get an email from the Sr. Tech, asking how internet traffic is routed. I know he knows because he was complaining that its "stupid" that everything goes through the main office to me last week.

Turns out the Sr. Tech is responsible for the slow speeds. He decided to remove our existing AV(Trend) and deploy the new AV(Symantec) during the middle of the work day. He also didn't pre-download the installer for a internal network deployment, he set it up for an internet deployment and had every workstation in the company try and pull the download at the same time.

:cripes:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hope you have that all documented. Also gently caress the user for emailing the CEO and all board members. Remember who to point the finger to if any of them asks you WTF.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

GreenNight posted:

I hope you have that all documented. Also gently caress the user for emailing the CEO and all board members. Remember who to point the finger to if any of them asks you WTF.

Sr tech admitted it to me via email so it is documented. ISP is also partly to blame, there have been major issues with the connection since we switched to it over a month ago. Their tech support is dragging their feet and every time they try and fix something, they tend to make the situation worse. The Sr Tech doing a full software deployment via internet mid day compounded things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess this answers his question of "what the gently caress does edge server mean"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Great Beer posted:

Today I learn that in the year 2014, there are still people using Lotus Notes.

Then again we're still using BlackBerry, so I'm not one to talk.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

evol262 posted:

I, too, often think "your tiny department that doesn't have the budget to buy new Windows licenses or keep up infrastructure should install Linux, because that will make things simpler".

Usually it goes hand-in-hand with "your tiny department that doesn't have the budget, but has high-budget requirements".

For example: my Domain Controllers must be fully up-to-date per PCI-DSS, but are in fact running Windows NT because gently caress licensing costs. So, with a gun to my head, I set up SAMBA, along with all the time needed for learning, firefighting, et al because my payroll is effectively a "sunk cost".

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I give a short, five-step how-to document to a T1 tech in another department.

Tech comes back ten minutes later, says "it didn't work."

A very brief investigation reveals he completely ignored step #3. This step, just like the others, is very important.

Tech complains that the document is inadequate, raises hell, gets shut down hard.

I don't think he'll be with us long.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Today I learn that in the year 2014, there are still people using Lotus Notes.

Then again we're still using BlackBerry, so I'm not one to talk.

Oh it gets better. Half our office is still on version 6.5.4, release date March 2005.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Usually it goes hand-in-hand with "your tiny department that doesn't have the budget, but has high-budget requirements".

We have a client like that. They want everything, but don't want it to cost to set up or maintain. Client is a small operation PC wise, about 4 or 5 PCs in a very ad-hoc network.
The manager there called and asked us for a quote for a 'simple server' Basic file serving, backup and domain services stuff as well as sorting out the cabling in the building etc. My boss prepared a quote which came to around $10k. She asked if it could be cheaper, boss scaled back the scope to knock the price back, she wasn't happy as she still clung to the list of requirements. Later she called back saying she had a quote from someone else for $4k and challenged us to beat it. My boss and I had a chuckle and wished her well. She called back a few weeks later, still running the same old crap and wanting us to install some crappy old printer they were given.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lord Dudeguy posted:

For example: my Domain Controllers must be fully up-to-date per PCI-DSS, but are in fact running Windows NT because gently caress licensing costs. So, with a gun to my head, I set up SAMBA, along with all the time needed for learning, firefighting, et al because my payroll is effectively a "sunk cost".

While I agree with this in principle, it's better for an experienced Windows shop to just run 2003 on top of Hyper-V or KVM than to bother setting up a Samba DC (I hope you're running Samba4) and fight for budget for licenses in 18 months than even try to get Linux in hand with no in-house expertise. I'm a Linux developer/sysadmin, and I get the rationale, but "install Linux, duh" is just not a solution to "we're a Windows shop with definite business requirements and no budget".

I hope you've documented the reasons you'll fail a PCI audit to your superiors, because auditors are not morons, and they'll discover your Windows NT DCs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Great Beer posted:

Oh it gets better. Half our office is still on version 6.5.4, release date March 2005.

The place I left most recently was on Exchange 2003 (and still is), despite qualifying for free Office 365 licenses for every employee.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Dear chucklefuck if you copy + paste me an error log and it says "General network error" right in the goddamn error log don't try to stop me when I tell you there was a network error.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hihifellow posted:

Speaking of laptops, while working with our manager of security she said she had a laptop that had been surrendered to security a while ago*; it might have been stolen and then retreived, she wasn't sure. I thought it was the laptop the one user in marketing had stolen from her car, but then I get handed this.

McAffee says it is 14 years out of date, it's running Windows 95 version 4, and came with a PCMCIA 10base2/10baseT NIC with dongle. Not sure what we're going to do with it, no one wants to recycle it because of the novelty/nostalgia factor.

Put DOS games on it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

hihifellow posted:

Clearly you need to see what AOL has been up to these last 18 years. I hear you can use the "internet" to chat with people across the globe.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
FYI AOL still exists. I ran into a laptop with a working AOL client on it a couple months ago.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Entropic posted:

FYI AOL still exists. I ran into a laptop with a working AOL client on it a couple months ago.

I do tech support for a large ISP. You have NO IDEA how many people still use AOL. :suicide:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

you ate my cat posted:

I do tech support for a large ISP. You have NO IDEA how many people still use AOL. :suicide:

24 million?

EDIT: gently caress. 3 million. I was way off.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Beamed posted:

24 million?

EDIT: gently caress. 3 million. I was way off.

My VP was hiring a new administrative assistant, one of his criteria was to throw out any applications that had an AOL email address.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Gmail is still professional, right?

Edit:
Time to invest in a @reagan.com or @goatse.cx

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 21, 2014

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I legitimately almost didn't get a job because my boss was blocking *@gmail.com. In 2009. Sometimes I wonder how my life would be different if I had taken that sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

spankmeister posted:

Put DOS games on it.

OpenBSD is the obvious choice.

• Locked thread