Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are those some Windows mascots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

drasticactions posted:

I got Miracasting set up on my TV and Surface Pro 2, and it's pretty cool.

It's insanely fast, with very minimal lag. You can set up Windows to use the TV as a second monitor, so now I can put my music/video player on that, and keep working on my main screen. Play To is also pretty cool when it works.

What are you using for a Mira cast receiver?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

What are you using for a Mira cast receiver?

A Netgear Neo TV Max. It technically does not support Miracast, but it supports the last version of Intel WiDi, which is a superset of it. Netgear's implementation is pretty crap though: It works with the Surface Pro 2, but no other Miracast device I've tried. Some go to a black screen, others don't get discovered at all. They have been making updates to it though, so I might try them again sometime. In any case, The Surface Pro 2 works great.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Are those some Windows mascots?

Yeah, Ai and Yui Madobe (Madobe literally translates to "By the Window", because it's... you know... Windows. Yeah. :eng101:)

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 15, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus, there are more? The last one I remember was Nanami Madobe. Nana means...well...7. No prizes for guessing which version of Windows she represented...

Her voice actor's name? Mizuki Nana. More sevens :jeb:!

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
There's no RT thread, but alas:

What's this bullshit about "missing recovery media, please insert USB" on some of these models? I can't find an 8.1 recovery image ANYWHERE, only an 8. Is this going to work? Just need to reset my drat Surface RT

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Rent posted:

There's no RT thread, but alas:

What's this bullshit about "missing recovery media, please insert USB" on some of these models? I can't find an 8.1 recovery image ANYWHERE, only an 8. Is this going to work? Just need to reset my drat Surface RT

There isn't a 8.1 recovery image for the RT sadly. Have to go to 8 and then reupgrade.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
So after hemming and hawing between a T100 and a VivoTab Note 8 and not finding either ultimately acceptable, I jumped on a Venue 11 Pro with a mobile keyboard. Very interesting that I did, because after adding on some warranty and extra accessories, I went looking for a promo code. I did not find one, but attempting to put one on cut ~$214 off of $730 + tax in the final cart.

I hope the discount isn't because they left off the keyboard without telling me or something.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

I really really hate the idea of owning a tablet on top of my kindle, smartphone, laptop and desktop computer so I decided to pull the trigger on the Surface Pro 2 128GB (educational pricing) to replace my less-than-stellar Asus laptop. Hope this turns out alright. :ohdear:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
In case anyone has not seen nor checked up on the Awful Forum Reader for Windows 8, I just pushed out a pretty big update to it.

It's much much faster and let's you post. There's more in that thread, but I'm always looking for more feedback. So if you would like to help out, give it a try :).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

drasticactions posted:

In case anyone has not seen nor checked up on the Awful Forum Reader for Windows 8, I just pushed out a pretty big update to it.

It's much much faster and let's you post. There's more in that thread, but I'm always looking for more feedback. So if you would like to help out, give it a try :).

Progress! :science:

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

I really really hate the idea of owning a tablet on top of my kindle, smartphone, laptop and desktop computer so I decided to pull the trigger on the Surface Pro 2 128GB (educational pricing) to replace my less-than-stellar Asus laptop. Hope this turns out alright. :ohdear:

You know, once I bought my Surface Pro 1, I've been using it for everything. It's replaced my x301 Lenovo. And I don't bother using my desktop anymore. I do all my heavy-duty work like Word, Powerpoint, VisualStudio coding and Photoshop happily on the Surface.

edit: apparently I'm weird however. I'm entirely happy doing all my work on just one smallish screen. I prefer to use apps that are maximized. And I find VisualStudio too confusing when it shows its windows on two screens.

ljw1004 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 17, 2014

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ljw1004 posted:

You know, once I bought my Surface Pro 1, I've been using it for everything. It's replaced my x301 Lenovo. And I don't bother using my desktop anymore. I do all my heavy-duty work like Word, Powerpoint, VisualStudio coding and Photoshop happily on the Surface.

This is what I would love. I don't use my desktop to game anymore, and most tasks I'd like a lightweight, more portable tablet for I am ok using my N5 for.

I just wish the base had dual monitor outputs. :(

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

So after hemming and hawing between a T100 and a VivoTab Note 8 and not finding either ultimately acceptable, I jumped on a Venue 11 Pro with a mobile keyboard. Very interesting that I did, because after adding on some warranty and extra accessories, I went looking for a promo code. I did not find one, but attempting to put one on cut ~$214 off of $730 + tax in the final cart.

I hope the discount isn't because they left off the keyboard without telling me or something.

Are you going to get a pen? And if you'd say how the keyboard slots feel and look when you're using it as a tablet I would appreciate it!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

IuniusBrutus posted:

This is what I would love. I don't use my desktop to game anymore, and most tasks I'd like a lightweight, more portable tablet for I am ok using my N5 for.

I just wish the base had dual monitor outputs. :(

It sort of does, if you have fancy monitors that support displayport daisy chaining :)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Sri.Theo posted:

Are you going to get a pen? And if you'd say how the keyboard slots feel and look when you're using it as a tablet I would appreciate it!

I'm planning on it, but they weren't available yet at order time (something I'd noted a month ago, too). I'll definitely let you know how the keyboard is - compared to my ThinkPad T420, it's got a lot to live up to.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'd read that the T100 couldn't be charged on 3rd party chargers but it has charged just fine so far on the chargers that come with the Galaxy S4 and the new Motorola chargers.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

It sort of does, if you have fancy monitors that support displayport daisy chaining :)

holy poo poo this solves so many problems :awesome:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FordPRefectLL posted:

I'd read that the T100 couldn't be charged on 3rd party chargers but it has charged just fine so far on the chargers that come with the Galaxy S4 and the new Motorola chargers.

It charges just fine off of my external battery.

e: Why does it charge so slowly :argh:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

It charges just fine off of my external battery.

e: Why does it charge so slowly :argh:

There is a problem with the t100a, try this fix if docked leave the hinge open an inch otherwise don't dock it. When docked if you close the lid the screen turns on permanently I have found no fix after a month of trying various solutions. The best thing to do is just use it like a tablet.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
There are a few offers in Taiwan on the T100, i am very tempted but I have two questions:

1) Has anybody used it for programming at all? I am afraid eclipse/intellij will choke the little ram it has

2) What are the chances of a new model coming out soon? I am sure the day after i get it, t200 will show up with double the speed half the price and whatnot.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stick100 posted:

There is a problem with the t100a, try this fix if docked leave the hinge open an inch otherwise don't dock it. When docked if you close the lid the screen turns on permanently I have found no fix after a month of trying various solutions. The best thing to do is just use it like a tablet.

Nah, my screen shuts off just fine. It just charges pretty slowly overall; if I'm using it, I have a net loss of charge :v:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Nah, my screen shuts off just fine. It just charges pretty slowly overall; if I'm using it, I have a net loss of charge :v:

Did you update to the 220 bios?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FordPRefectLL posted:

Did you update to the 220 bios?

Yep. At least I can hit 100% charge reliably now.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Well, Dell got me the Venue 11 Pro is record time, but welp - they did indeed completely forget the accessories I ordered. No keyboard dock or whatnot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is it possible they may be arriving in separate shipments or somesuch?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ljw1004 posted:

edit: apparently I'm weird however. I'm entirely happy doing all my work on just one smallish screen. I prefer to use apps that are maximized. And I find VisualStudio too confusing when it shows its windows on two screens.

Same here. I pretty much only turn on my desktop if I want to play a game lately.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is it possible they may be arriving in separate shipments or somesuch?

Normally they would, but I only got the one tracking number.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Anyone know if these things can do 1080p 10bit .mkv video files?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Dr Tran posted:

Anyone know if these things can do 1080p 10bit .mkv video files?

Just found a 10-bit test clip, and the video players I tried can't play your weird anime codecs. (PressPlay & mobileHD) I haven't tried any desktop players

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just put VLC on your tablet. It doesn't have a Metro interface (yet) but it plays literally everything. I spent so long fretting over media players before just saying gently caress it and using the same drat thing I use on my desktop.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

loquacius posted:

Just put VLC on your tablet. It doesn't have a Metro interface (yet) but it plays literally everything. I spent so long fretting over media players before just saying gently caress it and using the same drat thing I use on my desktop.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema and the CCCP codec pack will also play 1080p 10-bit H.264 videos just fine on Bay Trail tablets.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

Let's not. MPC's above and beyond VLC.

I can play all the animu MKVs. 1080p Hi10P FLAC BD Rips at super duper mega fudge coated bitrates. Bay Trail is pretty damned impressive.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Edward IV posted:

Media Player Classic Home Cinema and the CCCP codec pack will also play 1080p 10-bit H.264 videos just fine on Bay Trail tablets.

Let's not. MPC's above and beyond VLC.

I can play all the animu MKVs. 1080p Hi10P FLAC BD Rips at super duper mega fudge coated bitrates. Bay Trail is pretty damned impressive.

Thanks guys. Hopefully one of these tablets goes on sale before my trip in February.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Aside from the temporary lack of keyboard dock, the Venue 11 Pro is pretty impressive. Google Chrome sure is near-unusably fussy on a HiDPI touch screen, though. Many of Chrome's touch hacks are mutually exclusive to its HiDPI hacks, so you can't do e.g. "imprecise tap filtering" and "non-fuzzy text" at the same time, and you can't do Metro mode at all on HiDPI displays.

Anyone tried FireFox Aurora? Like it?

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 20, 2014

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013
I've got an issue with my Dell Venue 8 Pro. It was running some more heavily demanding programs surprisingly well at first, but at one point it shat itself and blacked out. I'm not sure if it shut down completely, went into sleep mode, GPU/driver kicked the bucket temporarily or what. What concerns me is that it did it a second time on a different application that I had ran before with no problems for a while. Any idea as to what may be causing this, and what I can check for to try to narrow down what it is?

And as a side note, I'm attempting to play Baldur's Gate on this thing. Any clue as to how to change the controls so that I only need to tap once to move and select poo poo?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Factory Factory posted:

Aside from the temporary lack of keyboard dock, the Venue 11 Pro is pretty impressive. Google Chrome sure is near-unusably fussy on a HiDPI touch screen, though. Many of Chrome's touch hacks are mutually exclusive to its HiDPI hacks, so you can't do e.g. "imprecise tap filtering" and "non-fuzzy text" at the same time, and you can't do Metro mode at all on HiDPI displays.

Anyone tried FireFox Aurora? Like it?

Believe it or not IE11 MUI is still the king of touch tablet browsers. I even prefer it to how Chrome works on Android tablets. Excellent touch experience and fast too. Believe me, I normally hate IE and at first avoided it on my SP2 but at the moment there's no getting around it so...drink the kool-aid.

If you are worried about Adblock just install smart screen filters using Easylist which will get you 90% there.. Xmarks will sync bookmarks for all browsers across all platforms. Other addons, you are kinda SOL but that's going to be the case regardless, Modern UI sandbox mode restricts what other browsers can do too.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I really hate the direction they're taking Chrome on Windows 8. It seems like they're trying to supplant metro and replace it with ChromeOS rather than fix basic usability issues on touchscreen devices. Running the thing in desktop mode is actually less obtrusive than using Chrome's own window manager. If they did a straight 1:1 port of Android Chrome I'd probably use it, but IE11 really is the best browser on the platform at this point.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 21, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd even go so far as to say that IE 11 is pretty much on par with the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome, period. If you use IE 11 in metro modern tablet mode, it'll sync your open tabs between your devices. I actually started using IE 11 on my desktop too :unsmigghh:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
IE 11 doesn't allow you to use add-ons, which is a huge problem. Other than that, yeah, it's the best. I certainly wish the other browsers stepped their game up, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

IE 11 doesn't allow you to use add-ons, which is a huge problem. Other than that, yeah, it's the best. I certainly wish the other browsers stepped their game up, though.

Addons are severely restricted for all Modern UI browsers, Mozilla had a huge problem with this back in the day.

Don't expect Modern UI versions of Chrome or Firefox that work exactly like the desktop versions plus touch support - for the same reason you don't get that under, say, iOS. Welcome to the new world of gardens.

• Locked thread