Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

muike posted:

real talk i've never seen a pick worn that low

I treat picks the same way I treat those I love. I abuse them and wear them down until they are nothing but a nub of worthlessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I understand this

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Stravinsky posted:

I treat picks the same way I treat those I love. I abuse them and wear them down until they are nothing but a nub of worthlessness.

I've had the same pair of drumsticks since 1998 and they're pretty much the same way.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Stravinsky posted:

Same here, except I constantly lose them due to neglect and they wind up in the lint screen in my dryer.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

comes along bort posted:

Same here, except I constantly lose them due to neglect and they wind up in the lint screen in my dryer.

^^^^
I now call it the pick-catcher, unless they make enough noise in my washer for me to find them when I unload it.

Real Talk I just need a pick that's grippy so I won't drop it (Tortex) and thick enough to push through the string without flexing.
An Agreed pick is going to be a novelty because I am the kind of guy who puts plectrum tone on the same level as Eric Johnson being able to tell which brand of 9-volt is in his distortion pedal. I sincerely doubt that they stand up to the double blind study, but I am not SO certain that I am willing to rule it out.

Case in point: EVH and YJM have been able to get some crazy heavy riffs out of light strings and one guy uses super thin extra-light picks and the other uses Fender Heavies, or Super Heavies if those are a thing, and on record and in concert I'll be hosed if I can tell a difference. They both have (had?) huge tones and the articulation seemed to come more from the fingers and the signal chain.

But I am happy to try a new thing, if Agreed had input into the making of it.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 20, 2014

Unclean
Jun 28, 2002
Last September someone either broke into my house (doubtful) or my niece who was living with me stole my black Schecter Celloblaster A5X five string, serial #99021426 in case anyone ever comes across it. I really like oddball guitars, and that thing sounded amazing to me. I finally found a replacement, this one is the 27 fret superstrat shaped one instead of the Avenger/Revenger body style. I should have it here in about a week, can't wait!

I wanted that Celloblaster since I was in High School, but never could find one when I had the money to spare. Took twelve years of eBay bidding, forum posts, emails, to finally get one. And a year later it gets stolen. I hate gear thieves.

That Tool sticker is going to go first thing.

Unclean fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 20, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Stravinsky posted:

Got my picks in :cool:

This one is made out of green plastic so I can only figure that it has some NASA materials going into its production. Its made by fender I believe but it must be apart of their roadworn series as it has been made to look vintage and the writing is all faded.

This Dunlop wunderkind is truly amazing. Made with the highest grade materials sourced from deep within the Amazonian jungle nothing stops this guy. Notice how there is not even a hint of point anywhere on the pick allowing you to hold it however you like! Dunlop must know that I am a huge Big Black era Albini fan because these picks are built to split in two after a couple of uses so that you can have two points of attack! Truly forward thinking design.

If you really want to turn heads get this pick. Made with a mixture of nickel and copper it will lead to a truly unique sound as you slam this pick up and down those strings. Also good for helping decide which band member has to transport the drums, opening beers and paying a toll.

I hope to have some more to show off soon to you guys.

So many beautiful shirts :allears:

muike posted:

They remind me of the oval jazz picks that I thiiiink Dunlop makes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dr. Faustus posted:

An Agreed pick is going to be a novelty because I am the kind of guy who puts plectrum tone on the same level as Eric Johnson being able to tell which brand of 9-volt is in his distortion pedal. I sincerely doubt that they stand up to the double blind study, but I am not SO certain that I am willing to rule it out.

I would bet money all day on my ability to "blindly" a/b picks like v-picks vs your average cheap ones. This is impossible to test considering I'd have to have no feeling in my hands yet also be able to play guitar, but picks makes a very obvious difference in the attack and tone. It's not some corksniffer bs, honestly. I wish I had more v-picks laying around to send some of you guys. My first experience with them was genuinely mindblowing. And then I tried an unbuffed colossal and my body melted. It's not subtle at all.

e: forgot to mention how the bigger ones force you to naturally tighten up your right hand technique while keeping you from squeezing and choking your pick in order to use hard dynamics.

~passionate about plectrums~

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 20, 2014

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Kilometers Davis posted:

I would bet money all day on my ability to "blindly" a/b picks like v-picks vs your average cheap ones. This is impossible to test considering I'd have to have no feeling in my hands yet also be able to play guitar, but picks makes a very obvious difference in the attack and tone. It's not some corksniffer bs, honestly. I wish I had more v-picks laying around to send some of you guys. My first experience with them was genuinely mindblowing. And then I tried an unbuffed colossal and my body melted. It's not subtle at all.

e: forgot to mention how the bigger ones force you to naturally tighten up your right hand technique while keeping you from squeezing and choking your pick in order to use hard dynamics.

Once I get my bass back from the shop, I'll record some big/little pick comparisons.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Juaguocio posted:

Once I get my bass back from the shop, I'll record some big/little pick comparisons.

I really wanted there to be little to no difference because pick-chat is possibly the most nerdy thing ever, and also a pick changing tone seems kind of dubious but, after a quick googling I found this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jNbDF6ZNCM

Which does show there is a fairly big difference. I'm guessing a thicker / softer pick mutes some of the high-frequency harmonic overtones due to a larger / longer contact with the string, while a thin or super rigid pick doesn't - working a bit like a physical low-pass filter. :science:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

muike posted:

I'll try to find some of mine, the amount of pick dust under my strings between the pickups after practice or a gig is just hilarious, I wear them into dust in just a few sessions.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

You, the player, will notice because it's an ergonomic thing, but the audience won't really know the difference.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Managed to find a Squier John 5 Signature Telecaster on Craigslist for $150. These are made by the same factory that makes the Classic Vibe series, so it's a lot of guitar on the cheap. Great condition other than a few nicks on the back.

I'm not quite sure the previous owner knew what he was doing with it, though. The pickups were so high they were almost touching the strings and the headstock looked like he used it for basket weaving practice.

The thing wouldn't stay in tune until I undid that mess and put the strings on the tuners properly.

On the plus side, it came with a gig bag and he left a handful of Jazz III picks in the pocket. :woop:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Declan MacManus posted:

You, the player, will notice because it's an ergonomic thing, but the audience won't really know the difference.

Two extremes, colossal unbuffed vs thin fender, dunlop, etc on the same amp/guitar settings will sound different raw out of your speakers. I could be wrong and just crazy of course.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Two extremes, colossal unbuffed vs thin fender, dunlop, etc on the same amp/guitar settings will sound different raw out of your speakers. I could be wrong and just crazy of course.

You're not crazy. If all plucks were created equal then there would be no difference between fingerstyle and playing with a pick.

Plucking a string creates overtones, so if you play an A you get a 440hz vibration, but also an 880hz, 1660hz, 3320hz etc. But as the wavelength of each successive overtone is half as big, if you use something large and squishy like a finger or a fat pick to pluck you will mute those overtones, giving a "purer" note. Plus when you add a bit of distortion you're artificially adding overtones so theoretically you probably want to start with as pure of a fundamental as possible so that the "meat" of your note sits at that fundamental and not at one of the higher octaves - hence why a thick pick gives a more "meaty" sound than a thin or metallic pick that will be full of overtones.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Oh my god the only thing worse than caring a lot about picks is deciding to shitpost to make fun of caring a lot about picks, what is wrong with you

Here's five different picks that all cost a lot used really simply one after the other. Main different is in the transient, though some do (because of specific characteristics of the material density, coefficient of friction, and bevel) emphasize some frequencies a bit more when sounding a note. But the primary difference is always in the transient.

http://tindeck.com/listen/dmna

You can look at that with a wave shaper if you're skeptical. If picks didn't make a difference, you couldn't buy a thousand different kinds from Dunlop & friends. So the aim seems to be "EXPENSIVE picks are bad," to which I guess I'd respond "lol" or maybe more accurately "economies of scale."

I personally collect picks like some people collect STDs, I don't recommend doing that - people could and should probably find a few picks they really really like and stick with those. You don't need a tacklebox full of picks for any reason at all, unless you just happen to enjoy collecting them. They don't cost a lot, but that's not a good reason to be overflowing with 'em unless it's a thing you like. I like it. I think it's stupid to be a butt about what other people like, but whatever.

I would like to reemphasize this. You are flat out mistaken if your starting position is "I would expect there to be no difference using different picks, which very measurably change the acoustic response of the guitar, that is then translated through the simplest transducers still in common use to be the final tone." If that's your starting hypothesis you don't understand how the whole system works.

Declan MacManus posted:

Why in the world does this ever get said? Seriously, what is the point of saying this? Do you care more about what you like or what the audience likes? Why are you playing?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 20, 2014

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Agreed posted:

Oh my god the only thing worse than caring a lot about picks is deciding to shitpost to make fun of caring a lot about picks, what is wrong with you

I'm not shitposting. I'm being serious and I'm pretty sure muting overtones is why the tone changes. :(

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

RobattoJesus posted:

I'm not shitposting. I'm being serious and I'm pretty sure muting overtones is why the tone changes. :(

I wasn't referring to you, promise.

I just don't get why anyone at all here would decide it's a fun idea to take digs at other people for liking things. Why? What do you get out of trying to bring somebody else's enjoyment or happiness or whatever down?

Edit: Man, it has been a lovely loving year and an especially lovely loving weekend and I'm just not dealing well right now, I get that I'm probably taking some joking too personally, but it just feels so pointless to make fun of people just because they like something that you don't consider worthwhile. It's just adding one more stupid and needless bullshit thing when there's already a lot of stupid, needless bullshit that people have to deal with. Who comes here to enjoy the atmosphere of not-playful, just mean attacks? Has poo poo changed that much in the last couple of years in here, for real? Okay, dudes making fun of pick chat, I get that you think it's silly. Message received. Could you just not be rude about it, though? It isn't hurting you, it isn't hurting anybody, so why make a point of casually dismissing people who haven't done anything to you or anybody else and just let them like what they like? What is the big problem, I don't understand.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 20, 2014

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

We're about five pages beyond the point where a megathread could have been created about guitar picks. I really wish someone with more experience would do so.

At the risk of diverting from new gear discussion, and completely falling prey to plectrum chat, I will post my recent plecquistion for use with the bass guitar, for recordings where my dynamics just aren't coming out even enough.

Golden Gate is a company I was not even remotely aware of until I visited The Guitar Shoppe of Laguna Beach and when thumbing around (heh) through their drawers of different plectrums. I hadn't played bass with a plectrum in a lonnng time, having found that fingerstyle allowed me to play much more complex melodies without having to worry about the chunk of fighting lower strings. However, as I've said, dynamics really become a problem when playing on certain tracks, especially reggae tracks in which the bass is foregrounded. Now, I hate to say that I've dropped the standby of fingerstyle for the one genre that champions it almost exclusively, but I just got through a take using a completely different rig (P-bass, in exchange for the J, new roundwounds as opposed to dead ones, and the pick) but this one really came through for me when it came to holding the bottom end with a nice round tone to even out that infernal harmonic growl. More mastering ahead, but I think I'm getting toward that solution.

I plan to continue playing with my fingers whenever possible, even while adjusting my position on stage to be lower during peformances, solely for asthetic purposes. I would only ever bring out a pick for god awful power pop/punk covers.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Agreed posted:

I wasn't referring to you, promise.

I just don't get why anyone at all here would decide it's a fun idea to take digs at other people for liking things. Why? What do you get out of trying to bring somebody else's enjoyment or happiness or whatever down?

Hehe, ok thought you were referring to me because you didn't quote anyone and I was the nearest post.

Then again I don't think anyone who is posting unserious pick-posts is maliciously hating on picks, just having a bit of fun.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Edit: ^^^ I don't know, maybe, I can't really tell because it feels more personal than it was probably intended. I found out some horrible poo poo and my life loving sucks right now, my spine surgery didn't work but somehow even though I worked through so much loving pain when I was at Wampler because they told me I had to get more credits if I was going to be able to qualify for disability, BECAUSE of the year out of work that the spine surgery caused, now I still don't have enough credits to qualify for disability and now I can't even do the poo poo I was able to do back when I was already considered 100% disabled, because my spine surgery didn't loving work, god drat it.

I found this out yesterday. I'm not in the best state to get the piss taken out of me for no reason I can figure. Everything is just poo poo right now, I don't need more poo poo. I don't need more poo poo on top of everything. Please, for god's sake, just, please?

Jeff Goldblum posted:

We're about five pages beyond the point where a megathread could have been created about guitar picks. I really wish someone with more experience would do so.

I'll make one tomorrow to exorcise the demon of pick chat from this thread, but there is still absolutely no point in mocking people for enjoying themselves and their music with whatever tools they prefer. I do not remember the general atmosphere of the thread being like this.

Golden Gate picks are pretty much identical to Dawg picks, and they're both really good picks for bass. If you like that for occasions when you don't want to use your fingers, you might want to give a D'Andrea ProPlec 346 picks a try; it's not ultra thick but it's comfortably thick (1.5mm) and it's got a very nice shape, darker/warmer tone. A good celluloid pick that's priced the same as any other mass-produced pick, less than a buck each and one I use very often - along with their 351 shape (which is the same shape that Fender uses for their picks, a bunch of Dunlop picks use it, and it has become sort of the default "this is a regular guitar pick" shape over the years). The 351 is better for guitar than bass, imo, the sharper bevel wears more quickly on bass unless you're playing flatwounds or something.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 20, 2014

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Agreed posted:

... The latter is better for guitar than bass, imo, the sharper bevel wears more quickly on bass unless you're playing flatwounds or something.

I've noticed a lot of wear on the couple of Dunlop 351's I've got, I believe the Tortex and Gator Grips, both 1.5mm, and both probably worn out from the roundwounds. The Golden Gate is starting to show similar wear so I may take you up on the suggestion very soon. It's a drat shame, I almost want to grind down my picks regularly to keep the bevel fresh but its such a hassle.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Seriously though, just post a new thread about picks already. It's safe to say that enough stuff about picks gets posted in here to warrant it. There are 23 posts on this page alone and only two three relate to pictures of recent purchases.

PSA: You can get 5 feet of desoldering wick for $1+free shipping on eBay from at least one store that ships out of Hong Kong. I just bought 15 feet in preparation for some tech work where the pump slumps.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 20, 2014

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Handen posted:

Seriously though, just post a new thread about picks already. It's safe to say that enough stuff about picks gets posted in here to warrant it.

I agree, if only to get all the important stuff in a single OP because I feel like a need a kickass pick but I have no idea what to actually buy.

I don't want to go into a music shop and ask for a fat chunky pick because last time I did that they laughed at me because I live in Norway and "pikk" is the Norwegian word for penis. :(

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Agreed posted:

I dunno man, I thought it was pretty funny. Sometimes you gotta laugh at yourself, y'know.

Here's a thing I bought the other day. Not my own pic obviously, because my cell phone camera sucks. It glows blue.

Funny thing is I actually bought it mainly for the clean channel.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Had the Strat for almost half my life. Decided to do some trading this week and have two PRSs to round out the electrics.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

http://www.clarkamplification.com/lilbit.html

Just got this in a trade and did some recording with it this weekend. The guy I got it from put it in a bigger cab so he could use a 10" speaker. I think it took a fall during shipping because when I opened it up the 10" was completely loose from the amp and all the screws were stripped out and rolling around, but somehow it made the rest of the way without even damaging a tube. I have the 8" Weber in there now and all is well. $1300 for a champ replica seems kind of silly, but I traded a $500 import Reverend for it. It sounds good with my SG, but playing my Tele through it is magical.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Edit: Forget it. Sorry for the derail. I'll post some thread about picks or something later.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 20, 2014

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you'd been following the ugly guitars thread in GBS you'd know to ignore Dr Faustus. For real, that thread would have been really cool and funny without his input, it was funny for a bit when he had a 3 page meltdown, but then he made it unfunny again.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Nice! What kind of finish does the leftmost blue PRS have? It looks so uneven, but I guss it's just a bad photo. How come you bought both?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Agreed posted:

Chill. The joke was not lol, look at this dude care posting about guitar picks. I just thought it was funny to that we have two totally different attitudes towards them where I never ever think about picks and will use a quarter or something because I forgot/don't have one.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dr. Klas posted:

Nice! What kind of finish does the leftmost blue PRS have? It looks so uneven, but I guss it's just a bad photo. How come you bought both?

I have both because someone wanted my Tele that was only worth $300 new :3:

The first year Santana SEs came with a translucent finish.

I got the middle one to use at jam nights since it's already got a few kiss marks and enjoyed it enough that I traded the Tele even for the Santana.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

Chill. The joke was not lol, look at this dude care posting about guitar picks. I just thought it was funny to that we have two totally different attitudes towards them where I never ever think about picks and will use a quarter or something because I forgot/don't have one.

I used a quarter for a while back in the 80s when I was a kid solely because I read that Billy Gibbons used a Peso.
Being a kid, I couldn't afford the string bill.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I begged, borrowed, and stole borrowed more, now validate me, ML

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

loving ACES man!
Stamped, validated, no fee for parking. ;)

Dirt
May 26, 2003

That's a hell of a deal. I have been debating buying one all day haha

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dr. Klas posted:

Just seen it on the computer now and that it's the reflection from the decorative ceiling the living room. :3: My phone didn't show that reflection as well.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
Well I just picked up a 65 reissue Deluxe Reverb and realised over the past year I'd actually acquired a bunch of stuff. There's also been a lack of pictures in this thread for a while so here goes.

Fender 65 Reissue Deluxe Reverb

I was looking for something small so I wouldn't have to drag my Orange PPC212 to rehearsals/gigs and this popped up at a pretty good price. There will be a bit of tweaking to my effects to get the sounds I need but, wow, this has tone for days. I can't wait to try it out this week.

Strymon Lex & MI Effects Cross Over Drive

Sweet, sweet Leslie sounds from the Lex, replacing my Destination Rotation which is more like a single rotating speaker sim. The doppler effect on the horn is worth the price alone. I was also looking for something less mid-heavy than my OD808 and MI had just released a batch of their new FET based overdrives. Really great dynamic and flexible overdrive sounds.

Cry Baby Classic & Big Muff

I was looking for a True Bypass way so it wouldn't affect the sound of my Sunface when it was off. I don't use the way and fuzz together in the current set so I'll look into buffers when the time comes. I've never owned a Big Muff before which is something I had to rectify.

Gretch Lap Steel

This was a Christmas present from my awesome family. I've wanted a lap steel for the longest time and it's been really fun tuning it to C6 and figure out where all the voicings are.

Chuka Chuks

Percussive/shaker juggling balls. I saw a street performer use these in a blues set and they looked fun enough for me to pick up a set myself. Still learning to keep a steady beat while throwing them around but fun none-the-less. Yeah, the picture looks a bit phallic.

PICKS!!!

A gradually dwindling jam jar of 288 picks. Currently using yellow tortex for electric and Gibson medium for acoustic.

My peso pick. If it's good enough for Willy G, I'll give it a go too.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Agreed posted:

I'll post some thread about picks or something later.
Yes. I love your pick chat. If you think picks aren't a broad enough subject, you're wrong.

qball posted:

Fender 65 Reissue Deluxe Reverb
The only problem with the DRRI, is that you'll never need to buy another amp again (unless you want a second DRRI).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

RetardedRobots posted:

The only problem with the DRRI, is that you'll never need to buy another amp again (unless you want a second DRRI).

I've learn't never to say never.

This amp is confirming my power-amp distortion > pre-amp distortion theory. Unfortunately getting there with my 100 Plexi isn't always feasible.