Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Fish Biscuit posted:

I hope this isn't too much of a newbie question. I want to make Celestarium, But I don't want to make a shawl I want a big squishy throw. If I substitute the 1200 yards fingering weight for worsted how much yarn will I need to buy?

I can't answer your question and as far as I know there's no way to tell since you'll be using completely different yarn and a different needle size, but that shawl is AWESOME. Thank you for helping me discover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

left_unattended posted:

I can't answer your question and as far as I know there's no way to tell since you'll be using completely different yarn and a different needle size, but that shawl is AWESOME. Thank you for helping me discover it.

Thank you anyway, I will just buy lots and lots and lots because I hate running out in the middle of a project. I plan to make Southern Skies too so I think I can justify a big over purchase.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Ugh you guys I'm not even done with these Nazi socks yet, I can't start a new repetitive project god drat it... Also, has anyone seen this adorable Harry Potter themed knitting competition? http://www.ravelry.com/groups/hp-knitting-crochet-house-cup It's like the Ravelympics but better :3:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Fish Biscuit posted:

I hope this isn't too much of a newbie question. I want to make Celestarium, But I don't want to make a shawl I want a big squishy throw. If I substitute the 1200 yards fingering weight for worsted how much yarn will I need to buy?

Do a swatch (preferably in pattern, though that looks like stockinette-- easy!) and see what gauge you get. Compare it to the pattern's suggested gauge, and if you can find any finished measurements use those too. You'll come up with some ratios on the stitches per inch that you can use to figure out how much more yarn you'll need and how much bigger the throw will end up.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Fish Biscuit posted:

Knitty says this might be impossible to do with math. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/FEATsum05TBP.html I'll try anyway. Please someone correct me if I'm completely off base here.

The finished shawl has a 46 inch diameter, so its total area is pi*(23)^2 = 1661 square inches, so 1.3842 square inches per yard of yarn. That means their swatch at 16 square inches required 16*1.3842 = 22.15 yards of yarn.

Now to see what you will knit at, knit a 22 stitch by 28 row stockinette swatch in your worsted weight. Hopefully, this is square. Measure a side and divide by 4 to find the ratio between your gauge and their gauge. Then multiply by 46 to find the diameter of your eventual project.

If you're happy with this, frog your swatch and measure the yards. Be sure to de-kink the yarn first though. I do this by using an iron to shoot some steam on it. To find your total yardage, divide this by 22.15 and multiply by 1200.

So, after knitting your swatch, your two equations are 46*((swatch width)/4) for your afghan's diameter and 1200*((swatch yardage)/22.15) for the yardage needed. This is a rough estimate. If you're buying at a store, see if you can buy an extra skein or two and return them if you don't need them.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I did something similar, so I can weigh in!

I did a heliotaxis pi shawl in worsted weight yarn. The pattern calls for between 1400-1800 yards of lace weight. I ended up needing nearly double that (it took me about 3000 yards) in worsted weight on us size 10s, with a 240 yard ball left over.

From what I've seen of other people doing these, just over doubling the required length in lace weight seems to be pretty standard.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Thought I'd finally finished the Christmas presents for my partner's family. Turns out I need to re-knit one of the gloves. I don't think his sister has two left hands. :suicide:

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Pile of Kittens posted:

Ugh you guys I'm not even done with these Nazi socks yet, I can't start a new repetitive project god drat it... Also, has anyone seen this adorable Harry Potter themed knitting competition? http://www.ravelry.com/groups/hp-knitting-crochet-house-cup It's like the Ravelympics but better :3:

I took part in the House Cup when I first started knitting. It was fun. I thoroughly recommend it.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

left_unattended posted:

Thought I'd finally finished the Christmas presents for my partner's family. Turns out I need to re-knit one of the gloves. I don't think his sister has two left hands. :suicide:

I feel you there. I finished a left and a right fingerless mitt for a friend, then discovered one had two repeats below the thumb gusset and the other had three. :sigh:

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
You could always make two rights then add the bonus set in the emergency gift repository?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

jomiel posted:

Sure, can you send me your details? You don't seem to have PM.
jomielll at gmail dot com

Awesome! E-mail sent.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I am sending my Noro Silk Garden off to a friend in return for mystery stash gifts. In turn, I have scored some Mochi Plus in grateful grapes. It is awesomely purple and I could not be happier. I think I like it more than Noro because I am not allergic and also I don't have veggie matter all over me.

Are you able to search Ravelry by technique? I wanted to learn some yarnovers and magic loop in preparation to make my fish hat, but ... I haven't had much luck. And my friend told me to ignore Stitch 'n Bitch's chapter on yarnovers, so I figured I'd just find a pattern with yarnovers in it that's not too complex.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You're going to "learn" yarnovers in about 10 seconds. If you want to drill it in, any lace should have yarnovers (plus a bunch of other stuff, though).

You can use magic loop on anything circular, but you don't have to use it on anything -- there are always other options, so it doesn't make sense to write a pattern specifically for magic loop. Look for a hat or cowl or anything circular.

Bossy Bear
Apr 16, 2012

Pile of Kittens posted:

I LOVE the Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup. Turning in things you were going to knit anyway for imaginary internet points is more addictive than you think. :toot:

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Bossy Bear posted:

I LOVE the Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup. Turning in things you were going to knit anyway for imaginary internet points is more addictive than you think. :toot:

Plus it's fun go come up with ways they apply to the "homework".

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Is it possible to do magic loop on very large needles, like 10+? I would think it'd be difficult sliding the yarn back up the needle if there's a big difference in diameter between the cord and the needle.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yes, it works fine. The stitches still hold their shape, they don't all magically shrink down. The first couple might get pulled tighter a bit, but honestly that's a really, really good way to stop laddering, as the offending stitches all get pulled tighter.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Can anyone give me a run down on knitting machines? The big Japanese sewing machine companies don't seem to make them anymore.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Rainbow socks! Shibui Sock in Spectrum.

Also, just stabbed myself in the hand with a metal size 1 needle.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 18, 2014

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

^^^^ Is that a double decrease in that lace part? Is there a reason why it isn't centered?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Yup, 4 row lace pattern. Row 1 has 2 single decreases, row 3 has a double. The pattern runs up the side of your leg rather than the middle.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

left_unattended posted:

Yup, 4 row lace pattern. Row 1 has 2 single decreases, row 3 has a double. The pattern runs up the side of your leg rather than the middle.

I think Sodium Chloride was asking why it isn't a centered double decrease, not why the whole lace pattern isn't centered on the sock. I'm guessing the answer is because it's intended to look like the center column is twisting rather than vertical.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Ohhh. I'm a dumbass. The decrease is centred, it just doesn't look it because the lace is pulled together.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks for the answer. It was really bugging me!

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
So, I've been knitting.

Maile sweater

BABY tea leaves

Amaranth Headband

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
I made this hat over the weekend because I needed something quick for the baby, and, uh... he has a huge head. It went super fast so I'll just make another the next size up. I should know better by now than to trust the 3-6mo sizing to fit a massive baby head!

Oh well, at least he looks cute.

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

Does anyone here knit socks on those tiny 9" circular needles? I received one in the mail instead of some dpns I ordered and I'm wondering if they're worth trying out.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

They're interesting. Strange but interesting. The way I hold my needles makes me feel like I'm gonna break them because my hand rests so hard against the join, but some people love them.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Safari Disco Lion posted:

They're interesting. Strange but interesting. The way I hold my needles makes me feel like I'm gonna break them because my hand rests so hard against the join, but some people love them.

I personally don't like them, but wish I did. They are just sized wrong for my hands.

I finished a some stuff on my winter time off. 2 hats!

I sent this one to forums user Keyga as a Nail Polish thread secret santa thanks:

Slouchy Hat for a Stranger on the Internet by effika, on Flickr
(Public Ravelry project link for pattern/yarn info)

And this one is for me-- Butterfly Hat (public Ravelry project link for pattern/yarn info)

2-Layer Butterfly Hat by effika, on Flickr

As you can see, I did some modifications. I left the ribbing off, did a provisional cast-on, then knit the hat again, basically. It's toasty and doesn't push my glasses into my face, which the ribbing on my other hats tends to do.

Also Malabrigo Rio is extremely soft, well-behaved to knit with, and left no excess dye in the wash. I may be spending some of my tax return on enough of it to make a jacket. Sooo nice, and superwash, too.

jota23 posted:

BABY tea leaves

I love your yarn choices! What's the blue?

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
Madelintosh pashmina in Baroque Violet. It's a bit more purple than the photo, but not by much. It's a rather lovely color.

KObot
Mar 11, 2008
It's been entirely too cold here lately (this is Florida, who really expects freezing temperatures?) so I decided to knit up some muffs for my boyfriend and I because 'muff' is a funny word and I'm cursed with second glove/sock syndrome. It only took a couple hours and it's thrummed so it's super cozy and warm on the inside. The only thing I don't like about it is how much the yarn shed, like, so much. It is baby alpaca though so it's nice and soft (just like a muff should be)

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

effika posted:

And this one is for me-- Butterfly Hat (public Ravelry project link for pattern/yarn info)

As you can see, I did some modifications. I left the ribbing off, did a provisional cast-on, then knit the hat again, basically. It's toasty and doesn't push my glasses into my face, which the ribbing on my other hats tends to do.

Also Malabrigo Rio is extremely soft, well-behaved to knit with, and left no excess dye in the wash. I may be spending some of my tax return on enough of it to make a jacket. Sooo nice, and superwash, too.

Gorgeous! I might steal that 2-layer idea for the next hat I make. It gets too cold here not to have a lined hat sometimes.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Aergo posted:

Does anyone here knit socks on those tiny 9" circular needles? I received one in the mail instead of some dpns I ordered and I'm wondering if they're worth trying out.

I love mine and use them for socks all the time, but they're not for everyone. It feels awkward and uncomfortable for the first few rows, but once you have a bit of fabric knitted I find it gets a lot smoother.

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

Drei posted:

I love mine and use them for socks all the time, but they're not for everyone. It feels awkward and uncomfortable for the first few rows, but once you have a bit of fabric knitted I find it gets a lot smoother.

How do you use them for heels? Just toss half the stitches on a holder?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
No need, I just work back and forth with half the stitches and keep everything on the needles.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
9in circs? :aaa: Good lord, I have enough trouble knitting hats on the 16in ones.

I love the look of the butterfly stitch, but what's it like to knit? It looks kinda complex.

And seconding the love for Mal Rios too, that stuff is the bomb. I still have 2 skeins in Arco Iris to play with, but I just can't find the right pattern.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

left_unattended posted:

I love the look of the butterfly stitch, but what's it like to knit? It looks kinda complex.

Very simple- you slip some stiches with the yarn in front every other row, then catch all the floats later on one stich (the floats are never knitted, just suck behind a such). The floats are also very forgiving, tension-wise, but err on the side of slackness.

The first group was a bit fiddly but by the end I was doing it all-including catching the floats- in a darkened room without paying much attention as we caught up on TV.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Bossy Bear posted:

If you're into Harry-Potter-themed knitting, you might like these charm bracelets; they're called 'Care of Magical Creatures' bracelets... :)

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Apple Tree posted:

If you're into Harry-Potter-themed knitting, you might like these charm bracelets; they're called 'Care of Magical Creatures' bracelets... :)

Those are really sweet, and I love the idea of completing a task before you knit one too. This came up on a friend's Facebook page:

left_unattended's friend posted:

This sounds like a nice thing to do so here goes! The first ten people who comment on this status with "I'm in", will receive a surprise from me at some point in this calendar year - anything from a book, a ticket, a visit, something home grown or made, a postcard, absolutely any surprise! There will be no warning and it will happen when the mood comes over me and I find something that I believe would suit you and make you happy. ... Me thinks this should be optional: These ten people should make the same offer in their FB status and distribute their own joy. Simply copy this text onto your profile, (don't share) so we can form a web of connection and kindness. Let's do more nice and loving things for each other in 2014, without any reason other than to make each other smile and to show that we think of each other. Here's to a more enjoyable, more friendly and love filled year

and I thought it was really neat. I put it up on my page and have a few takers so far, so I'm thinking I might knit or craft them each something little. I love the idea of yarnbombing too, but I don't think there'd be many people in my city into that sort of thing, and without a car I have trouble with knitting groups anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

jomiel posted:

I bought the KP Caspian try it circular needle set and hate it. It's so different from my wood harmony DPN set that I bought a few years ago. The Caspian circular needle was so grippy and not as smooth as before, and the nickel needle was ridiculously slippery--though this is my first try at metal needles. The cables were not that flexible and I was annoyed when I used them.

Just chiming in to say that the needles arrived today and they made it safe and sound! Thank you very much! Were the stitch markers a gift from Knitpicks or you?

The Caspian needles are super pretty and they feel smoother than the bamboo needles I usually use, but I've never worked something on a circular needle before and now I need to find something to knit on it.

Also, I finally finished the heel flap of the cuff-down sock I'm working on and I have started turning the heel. I'm only two rows in so far and it's going OK but oh god what if I ruin the months of work spend knitting the leg of this sock with superfine yarn on size 1 needles like an idiot? :ohdear: