Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Burning Mustache posted:

NVidia drivers give you the option to stretch, letterbox or don't scale the picture at all, I would assume ATI has a similar function.

I'm not sure if it was getting a new video card, or the latest set of drivers, but those scaling options in the NVidia drivers were broken for YEARS, and only just got fixed recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure if it was getting a new video card, or the latest set of drivers, but those scaling options in the NVidia drivers were broken for YEARS, and only just got fixed recently.

Hmm, the only game I've ever used that option on was Jagged Alliance 2 I think and it's always worked fine there for me. No idea about 3d games.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's always worked flawlessly with both my desktop and laptop through 3 or 4 different sets of cards over the years.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sab669 posted:

I've got a 27" Asus that's a TN panel, my roommate sprung a little bit more for the 27" IPS and god drat am I jealous. It's a constant war between us upgrading our rigs.
I do often use my PC to watch shows in bed, though, so the better viewing angles would actually be really nice :saddowns:

I went to Fry's and Best Buy yesterday, hoping I could find some IPSes and some 120hz TNs (do they not make 120hz IPSes?) to look at side by side. Couldn't see a single 120hz monitor, though I did see a couple TVs and those look really nice, even if it's fake 120hz.

I saw plenty of IPSes though, but they weren't doing anything besides sitting at a Windows 8 desktop, so I can't say anything about the color besides that they were a bit different. I literally don't care about viewing angle, though, so... hm. Maybe I do want a 120hz or two instead? I still have to find a monitor playing a game to look at though, not a TV playing a game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

IPSes are slow by their very nature. If you're looking for a high quality panel that also does high frequencies, I'd look into VAs instead. Stuff like this.

edit: link fixed

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 12, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

macnbc posted:

It's always worked flawlessly with both my desktop and laptop through 3 or 4 different sets of cards over the years.

Yeah, it was hit and miss with different configurations, but it's been broken for a huge number of users for a while now, and Nvidia has never acknowledged the bug ever existed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

YourAverageJoe posted:

IPSes are slow by their very nature. If you're looking for a high quality panel that also does high frequencies, I'd look into VAs instead. Stuff like this.

Broken link, but I'll google about for VAs, thanks. :)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh, sorry about that. I fixed it, but here it is again.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Burning Mustache posted:

NVidia drivers give you the option to stretch, letterbox or don't scale the picture at all, I would assume ATI has a similar function.

Don't most monitors also let your decide between stretching the image or maintaining the correct aspect ratio? I know my ASUS VH236H I've had for a few years does.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

XenoCrab posted:

Don't most monitors also let your decide between stretching the image or maintaining the correct aspect ratio? I know my ASUS VH236H I've had for a few years does.

They should, yeah, my ancient BenQ does this too, but just in case you have a weird monitor that doesn't, you should be able to do it via your videocard drivers without need for any special third party software.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Burning Mustache posted:

.... but just in case you have a weird monitor that doesn't....

I just bought a new monitor a few months back, and I noticed when reading reviews a lot of manufacturers are holding back native scaling options for their more expensive monitors. Their cheaper models are running the same firmware and very similar hardware as the more expensive models, but they still disable the functionality as if it's some sort of premium feature. Some even have the options listed on the OSD, but it's greyed out, so they don't even try and hide it.

One of the main review sites I was looking at even made a point in most reviews to say something like "Once again scaling options are blocked on this model, you'll need to step up to this other more expensive model if you want them."

You're older BenQ likely has them because manufacturers hadn't yet realized they can nickel and dime people for the most basic of features.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Huh, that's pretty lovely, yeah.
I didn't know about that as I haven't kept up with monitor developments for a while but that's a bit of a farce :\

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Can someone give me some tips on streaming video? If I want to stream a game online, and also overlay with my webcam, what do I need to get started?

I've tried once or twice on twitch years ago, but I no longer remember.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can someone give me some tips on streaming video? If I want to stream a game online, and also overlay with my webcam, what do I need to get started?

I've tried once or twice on twitch years ago, but I no longer remember.

http://obsproject.com/ is pretty much the best software going now and is also the free option. It shouldn't be too hard to set up - put your Twitch key in your preferences, add a game source and a webcam source and you're ready to stream to, what, 3 people?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I used OBS. Only did one vid though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfYa6lHU5fo

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LLJKSiLk posted:

I used OBS. Only did one vid though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfYa6lHU5fo

How did you get that edge on the right there of the webcam?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Apparently my 27" ASUS VG278 is a TN panel as well. Though I suppose I shouldn't be surprised because of the noticible viewing angle. It doesn't bother me too much, not as much as the weird backlight bleeding does.

I'm a bit jealous though. Reviews on my monitor mention most 27" monitors support higher resolutions like x1440. Yet I'd be in a constant fight to have a machine that can run those resolutions as much as I'm having a fight to make use of the 120hz refresh rate. Core i7 920 overclocked at 3.2GHz and a single 660ti.

I spend more time trying to figure out how to tweak than I do actually tweaking or playing.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How did you get that edge on the right there of the webcam?

I used an overlay. I took a screenshot of the menu bar, and overlaid it in OBS over the webcam. I also have a green screen now, so I can actually remove the background or make it transparent if I need.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ularg posted:

Apparently my 27" ASUS VG278 is a TN panel as well. Though I suppose I shouldn't be surprised because of the noticible viewing angle. It doesn't bother me too much, not as much as the weird backlight bleeding does.

I'm a bit jealous though. Reviews on my monitor mention most 27" monitors support higher resolutions like x1440. Yet I'd be in a constant fight to have a machine that can run those resolutions as much as I'm having a fight to make use of the 120hz refresh rate. Core i7 920 overclocked at 3.2GHz and a single 660ti.

I spend more time trying to figure out how to tweak than I do actually tweaking or playing.

Even if you played games at 1080p on a 1440p monitor, it's still a worthwhile purchase in my opinion due to the resolution effectively giving you a multi-monitor experience on a single screen, which is really useful for multitasking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does anyone else find that the right stick (or both sticks?) on the wired 360 controller settles slightly off center? In MGR the camera slowly pans to the left sometimes when I let go, and I can see the stick isn't pointing exactly straight up. Anything I can do about this?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone else find that the right stick (or both sticks?) on the wired 360 controller settles slightly off center? In MGR the camera slowly pans to the left sometimes when I let go, and I can see the stick isn't pointing exactly straight up. Anything I can do about this?

Not much you can really do. This is just another part of the general poor build quality of 360 controllers. The reason the D-Pad is so bad too isn't entirely because of it's design; a big part of it is the controllers in general vary hugely in their build quality. I've had a few 360 pads with great D-Pads, and I didn't understand why people were saying they were so bad. Then I had to buy another controller and the D-Pad was abysmal. I've had a few with stick drift as well, and others with tight, perfectly centering sticks.

It's basically a crap shoot how well built the controller will be when you buy one.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Mine did it with the left stick. It's been like that since I bought it. Eventually I just went and got a xinput Logitech gamepad. Microsoft won't let you configure their controller at all. You can't even set a dead zone manually. gently caress them.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Really? I haven't found that to be the case for me. If you're getting drift, you should be able to calibrate the controller somewhat through Windows. It's not a very in depth utility, but if you go to the device settings page, which is buried under "Devices and Printers" in Windows 7, you can get a screen like this:

Then do some basic adjusting like setting the dead zone through the Settings menu. I've got a knockoff 360 which I had to tweak a little because it was drifting on me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
edit: never mind, found it

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 20, 2014

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any way to get Remember Me into borderless fullscreen mode? I tried a few apps and nothing worked.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nvm here you go.

http://grismar.net/shiftwindow/

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Really? I haven't found that to be the case for me. If you're getting drift, you should be able to calibrate the controller somewhat through Windows. It's not a very in depth utility, but if you go to the device settings page, which is buried under "Devices and Printers" in Windows 7, you can get a screen like this:

Then do some basic adjusting like setting the dead zone through the Settings menu. I've got a knockoff 360 which I had to tweak a little because it was drifting on me.

I calibrated that thing like five times before I gave up. The drift isn't ALWAYS there, that's the rub. It comes on just enough to be annoying.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

notZaar posted:

I calibrated that thing like five times before I gave up. The drift isn't ALWAYS there, that's the rub. It comes on just enough to be annoying.

Stick drift is a luck of the draw thing on 360 controllers in general. It happens when using them with the console itself, too. Sometimes you get a controller right out of the box with drift in one or both of the sticks, sometimes they develop overtime, and sometimes you luck out and never have the problem. It's dumb.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

It's usually just the stick not returning to the neutral position after wear and tear.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

hello internet posted:

It's usually just the stick not returning to the neutral position after wear and tear.

In my case it was literally like that out of the box, unfortunately. I got cheesed off at it yesterday and picked up an F310, so problem solved.

(Sadly that has its own problem in that the right stick doesn't snap back to neutral fast enough for MGR blade mode, but a control mode change fixes that ok anyway.)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 20, 2014

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ciaphas posted:

I've had this exact problem with Dishonored although it's not really noticeable in any other game.

Anyway. I am thinking of buying a new computer since a) console gaming just isn't as appealing to me as a few years ago and b) my two year old laptop struggles a little. I've been saving up for a few months and I've decided this will be my birthday treat this year.

Now I'm looking at these specs.

I'm thinking I'd put a 2tb drive in rather than 1 just so I can install all my steam games. Apart from that I'd need a new monitor although I'd be tempted to hook it up to my living room TV at least in the short term?

Hows' that look. It's a shade over $2000 dollars and I'd be buying half of it on credit but I've not had a proper gaming computer for near enough 5 years and I've been continually putting it off for months.

Budget is not really a massive concern so would I be worthwhile putting a second graphics card in, bearing in mind I might be using this on a 46 inch screen? The next option up is for 2 x AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB but that just sounds over the top to me? It would cost an extra 90 dollars for that upgrade.

The only other thing I'd consider upgrading is the processor which can be turned into a i7 4770K for about $130. Again if that sounds worth it I'd be tempted but I'm not just going to piss away money here. I'd just like to have a really solid computer that won't need upgraded for a few years.

Any thoughts?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

You could probably save ~$600 if you didn't buy a pre-built and built it yourself, and dropped the water cooling. Water cooling is mostly unnecessary unless you just want to be :pcgaming:, because you can pick up a few 120mm fans for your case and boom, done. However, if you're looking for more input (And more cries to just build it yourself, which you really should anyway because it's a lot of fun) you should post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525843

FAKE EDIT: Also Crossfiring/SLI is mostly more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth in my opinion, a lot of games don't have good support for it and it can become a headache. At any rate, the 780 is a v beefy card that should be able to handle that monitor.

VVV: I actually bought 16 gigs over 8 like a lot of people recommended, and honestly, RAM is at such a good price-point it doesn't make sense not to get 16 gigs. Any more than that though and I'd call you silly.

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 20, 2014

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Ramagamma posted:

I've had this exact problem with Dishonored although it's not really noticeable in any other game.

Anyway. I am thinking of buying a new computer since a) console gaming just isn't as appealing to me as a few years ago and b) my two year old laptop struggles a little. I've been saving up for a few months and I've decided this will be my birthday treat this year.

Now I'm looking at these specs.

I'm thinking I'd put a 2tb drive in rather than 1 just so I can install all my steam games. Apart from that I'd need a new monitor although I'd be tempted to hook it up to my living room TV at least in the short term?

Hows' that look. It's a shade over $2000 dollars and I'd be buying half of it on credit but I've not had a proper gaming computer for near enough 5 years and I've been continually putting it off for months.

Budget is not really a massive concern so would I be worthwhile putting a second graphics card in, bearing in mind I might be using this on a 46 inch screen? The next option up is for 2 x AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB but that just sounds over the top to me? It would cost an extra 90 dollars for that upgrade.

The only other thing I'd consider upgrading is the processor which can be turned into a i7 4770K for about $130. Again if that sounds worth it I'd be tempted but I'm not just going to piss away money here. I'd just like to have a really solid computer that won't need upgraded for a few years.

Any thoughts?

I'm not 100% on top of things with the latest PC hardware stuff but generally speaking;

You won't need either an i7 nor two graphics cards. Performance increase for games is marginal for the amount of money you'll spend on those. You likely won't need 16GB of RAM anytime soon either (8GB is absolutely fine for gaming at the moment) and you could probably save a couple of bucks on a non-1337 GAMING SNIPER mobo and invest those savings into a 250GB SSD, 120 can get very small very fast with a couple of modern games installed.

Take a look into the parts picking guide megathread in SH/SC, the regulars in that thread are incredibly awesome and will be able to give you much better feedback and suggestions.

E: Oh and yes, forget about the watercooling, it's absolutely pointless.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

But Not Tonight posted:

You could probably save ~$600 if you didn't buy a pre-built and built it yourself, and dropped the water cooling.

Pretty much this. Just to show that yes, it is that much cheaper I put your parts into PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EpSm (oops, forgot the 1TB disk but that should be <$100)

E: But yeah, also drop to an i5, drop the water cooling, drop to a non-:pcgaming: motherboard, upgrade to a bigger SSD, and it'll still be cheaper.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 20, 2014

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You'll want to post in this thread with more details after reading through the OP. At a glance, you could pick a cheaper motherboard that suits your needs, you're most likely buying RAM that's overpriced because gamer bling, your GPU may be overly powerful for your needs (Again, need more info), you could probably pick a cheaper case but that depends heavily on what you want from it, PSU doesn't look like a bad choice but that's not really an area I know much about.

You could save a lot of money with better component selection but that depends on what your needs are. A GTX 780 is overkill for a single 1920x1080 monitor, for instance. You have the right CPU/mobo combination for overclocking so if you don't plan to do any OC, you can slim your build there. An aftermarket CPU cooler is primarily useful for OCing and/or making it less noisy, etc. Basically, post in the PC building thread.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Also, don't get a gigabyte motherboard, and you don't need 16GB of RAM either if your main goal is to be playing video games. But like the guy above me said, check out that thread, make sure to read the OP, and then ask for some help. The guys in that thread are great.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Ramagamma posted:

Any thoughts?

I'd go for a 240GB SSD at least. Running a 120GB myself and the space goes away fast if I'm playing a couple games at once that benefits from being on an SSD. Use Steam Mover to move your games from HDD to SSD and back when you're done. Works fine with both Steam and Origin, should work fine with other download services and even disc-based games as well. A 2TB HDD is nice, especially if you collect media files.

Dual graphics cards is nice, but they're pretty much an "enthusiast only" thing. The size of your monitor doesn't matter much, only the resolution. The GPU you've chosen should be able to push pretty much everything at 1080p with all the pretties turned on without much problems.

The CPU should be plenty. Very few games will take advantage of the extra horsepower of the i7, so I don't see much point in going to it.

Why the watercooling? Stock air cooling is plenty and not very noisy, unless you want it even quieter than a whisper.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the responses guys.

Y'know what I think I'll look into building it myself. I mean I know it was cheaper but not 33% cheaper. That's insane. To be honest I only wanted water-cooling because it sounds rad although I did suspect it was somewhat pointless.

The RAM I always wonder about. You keep hearing "ram is cheap, buy more" and I'm not really technically minded enough to know whether it's worth it. The good thing is it's probably the only thing I feel 100% comfortable with upgrading after-market.

Building it looks like the most enticing option. Like I say I'm not overly bothered about saving money but I think it'd be fascinating to do the whole process myself. I've never built a computer fully before, needed some help from a friend with the last one 5 years or so ago mostly with the processor and getting windows running.

Also thanks to Arcsech for that PC part picker website, that looks like a fantastic resource for what I am trying to do.

I'm gonna stick to that image I posted as a template (I really like the case :P) but certainly will take on board the intel I'm getting here.

Cheers :)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Ramagamma posted:

Any thoughts?

I'm assuming your 46 inch screen shows 1080p, and that your desk setup is just one screen here, so keep that in mind:

Keep the i5, use stock cooling, check the PC Parts Picking thread (linked above) for a cheaper motherboard, skip the GeForce GTX 780 for a 760, get the EVGA Superclocked with ACX Cooling version if you want to splurge (and if it's still cheaper than the 780, I forget).

Cases are a matter of taste, and you didn't mention any specific features you want but that Corsair is butt-ugly. I suggest shopping around, maybe look for something a bit more understated.

Other than that, if you want a bigger hard drive, go for it, look for ones with the fewest platters, because those are faster. You can get drives at 1TB/platter for good prices now, and SSDs are getting cheaper and more efficient every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ramagamma posted:

The RAM I always wonder about. You keep hearing "ram is cheap, buy more" and I'm not really technically minded enough to know whether it's worth it. The good thing is it's probably the only thing I feel 100% comfortable with upgrading after-market.

In the case of RAM, there's only the slimmest of improvements in getting the expensive stuff. Manufacturers charge extra for features that make it more attractive but don't really add much value at all. Corsair makes some RAM that has LED lighting for instance, costs way more than the cheap stuff and doesn't improve performance much at all, but if that sort of bling is desired, go for it. In general, RAM with stuff like a bunch of heat fins and etc. really aren't necessary.

Biggest thing is to make sure the RAM works with whichever motherboard you end up going with. Generally speaking, it should work but there are exceptions here and there.

• Locked thread