Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

ShaneB posted:

If I still have a perfectly functional MX518, is there some mouse out there that's like... "better" in some way? Like higher precision, feels better in the hand, somehow more functional?

Not really, you could get a G400/G400s but if you're happy with what you've got you may as well keep it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Is the g500s prone to have loud coil whine? My g500s is doing this so much that I have wear headphones to not hear it. This was my RMA replacement to my g9x earlier this year so I might just get a Steelseries Rival at this point. I can't win when it comes to computer mice.

The laser resonates at a frequency that's within the range of human hearing, and it's not something that can be fixed on the device/firmware side, really. It's something I'm very aware of and will be fixing for future products.

codo27 posted:

That's pretty much it. I have a long standing disdain for Logitech because of this, the worst peripheral ever produced.

Wow. We shipped that gamepad in 1998. There are only about four people left in the company who were part of that project, and I'm the only one still in gaming. I was on the SWQA team at the time, but I moved into product management about 15 years ago. Hopefully I'm not still making horrible products.

Zigmidge posted:

You want a G700 and plug the wireless receiver in a usb 2.0 port (there are some funky interference issues when you plug it into a usb3.0 port).

To expand on this, the increased bandwidth that USB 3.0 delivers can cause interference to be generated by things like flash drives or external HDDs that is significant enough to interfere with the signal of wireless adapters that are inserted into adjacent ports. This white paper from Intel explains in more detail. In addition to using USB 2.0 ports, you can use extension cables or plug the receiver into ports farther away to mitigate these symptoms.

Goo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 17, 2014

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Anyone use the G600 MMO mouse? How is it?

Also compared to the Razor Naga, what would you prefer (ignoring price)?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
G600 is superior. Better button placement and far more comfortable. That said, comfort is an opinion, but the old Naga is tiny and really weirdly shaped. I know they redesigned it a bit and its supposedly better, but I dunno.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Horizontal Tree posted:

G600 is superior. Better button placement and far more comfortable. That said, comfort is an opinion, but the old Naga is tiny and really weirdly shaped. I know they redesigned it a bit and its supposedly better, but I dunno.

I currently have the Naga and I agree, it's not very comfortable. I notice the G600 has dish shaped button groups which is one of my biggest issues with the Naga (not knowing where my thumb is).

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I have the G600 on my gaming machine, and I like it well enough. It's not as comfortable as the G500 (which I use two of, one for workstation and one for laptop), and there's definitely a learning curve in terms of setting up and adapting to the 12 thumb buttons, but for playing games (MMOs) with a large number of skills and abilities, it's a godsend.

I haven't used the Naga, but between the experiences with Razer products (and mice specifically) among people I know, it would never be an option for me.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Naga has that option where you can hold a button down and then use the scrollwheel to adjust sensitivity on the fly that I really miss and wish the G600 had. The G600 is a nice mouse, but pretty chunky/heavy and terrible if you use a claw grip.

ShaneB posted:

If I still have a perfectly functional MX518, is there some mouse out there that's like... "better" in some way? Like higher precision, feels better in the hand, somehow more functional?
Not really, unless you want more buttons or wireless. The MX518 is pretty fuckin rock solid and I kinda regret giving mine away.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kiwid posted:

Anyone use the G600 MMO mouse? How is it?

Also compared to the Razor Naga, what would you prefer (ignoring price)?

I have both and even it breaks down like this for me:

Ergonomics: Razer Naga 2013. Easier to press the side keys and it's just slim enough to not make the middle of my palm sweat.

Drivers: G600. loving synapse crashes all the time and is horrible. Meanwhile the G600 had the profiles I made two years ago stored and I never need to install a driver to work.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Goo posted:

Wow. We shipped that gamepad in 1998. There are only about four people left in the company who were part of that project, and I'm the only one still in gaming. I was on the SWQA team at the time, but I moved into product management about 15 years ago. Hopefully I'm not still making horrible products.

Ok Mr. Logitech/rest of goons. G700 or Performance MX? Leaning towards the 700 for the extra buttons that my stupid hands will probably have trouble using accurately.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 19, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Ynglaur posted:

I'm currently using the G700, which I like a lot. The G700s is the newer version of the same mouse. My biggest gripe is that I have trouble reaching the thumb buttons: my thumb tends to sit well below them, and they depress directly in. The newer G602's thumb buttons depress slightly up, and sit slightly lower. If you're in the US, many Best Buy's have both on display so you can feel for yourself if either works for how you grip your mouse.
I also found out recently that Best Buy does price matching: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Payment-Pricing/Best-Buy-Low-Price-Guarantee/pcmcat297300050000.c?id=pcmcat297300050000

So hit up Amazon or Newegg before you go and you should be able to get their price at Best Buy. I've been avoiding Best Buy for a while but I'll probably do this when I have to replace my mouse or keyboard (4-5+ years on the keyboard so far, a Saitek Eclipse, 3+ years on the Razer Deathadder). Although the store I go to sticks all the "gaming" mice and keyboards in a weird corner with all the Xbox controllers and overpriced headsets now, it took me forever to find.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

What's the SA consensus on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279 (KB2908279) and whether or not to use it for all games in Win8.1 when you have a >200 dpi res mouse? The KB says that only certain games are affected by the input limit. Should I be bothering with it if I don't play those games? I have a G400S.

I'm using http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Mouse-Rate-Checker.shtml to check polling rate. I dunno maybe this should all go in the Win8 thread, but it seems like something mouse enthusiasts would be better qualified to answer. Thanks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm on 8.1. I've used a couple of different mice, and while I haven't played a wide array of games, I've had no issues.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 19, 2014

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Is anyone aware of a mouse or trackball for people with larger hands? I get repetitive stress problems from using any sort of pointing device if I don't wear a wrist brace and I believe it is due to my hands being larger than what the various peripherals are designed to accommodate.

I have tried out a fair amount of peripherals in search of something comfortable but to give an example I'll describe how my hand sits on my MX518. If I place my hand such that my palm is fully supported by the mouse my pointer finger hangs so far off of the front of the mouse it is but a couple of millimeters from touching my desk. All of my other fingers, save my thumb, touch the desk. It is not comfortable to click or use the scroll wheel without repositioning my hand.

The wrist brace I use allows me to rest my palm further back on the mouse, somewhat alleviating my problem. Still, I'd rather not have to wear it as having it on means compromising my ability to move the mouse.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Are there any mice on the market with a metal shell?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The corsair M60/M65 have an aluminum shell, I hear.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I went out and bought the G700s. Really displeased with how freely the wheel moves, and I don't like how I have to use the software to make BF4 think the extra buttons are actually keystrokes, I thought they would just work. I think I'm going to return it

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

codo27 posted:

I went out and bought the G700s. Really displeased with how freely the wheel moves, and I don't like how I have to use the software to make BF4 think the extra buttons are actually keystrokes, I thought they would just work. I think I'm going to return it

That's the games fault, not the mouse. Source games, among others, are able to detect those buttons as mouse buttons. Can't help you with the wheel though, Logitech never learned how to make a good clicky mouse wheel ever.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zigmidge posted:

That's the games fault, not the mouse. Source games, among others, are able to detect those buttons as mouse buttons. Can't help you with the wheel though, Logitech never learned how to make a good clicky mouse wheel ever.
I think he's probably talking about extra buttons past the first five, ie the G700's G6-G11. By default G6 & G7 are completely null, you must bind them to keyboard keys to work in any game.

The thing is that depending on which API a game is getting mouse input from, there are no buttons above 5. So logitech is IMO doing the right thing by sending out the mice with buttons set for 1-5 only and non-input functions like dpi, battery level, etc on the rest. Otherwise people would run into situations where one game would work and another would not -- this way at least it's a consistent "use setpoint to assign keyboard input".

On the mousewheel, I opened up my previous logitech mice to bend a little more tension into their ratchet mechanism. My 700 feels about the same as that, so I guess they've gotten a little better. Still not great if you like a wheel with a lot of ratcheting force to it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Klyith posted:

I think he's probably talking about extra buttons past the first five, ie the G700's G6-G11. By default G6 & G7 are completely null, you must bind them to keyboard keys to work in any game.

The thing is that depending on which API a game is getting mouse input from, there are no buttons above 5. So logitech is IMO doing the right thing by sending out the mice with buttons set for 1-5 only and non-input functions like dpi, battery level, etc on the rest. Otherwise people would run into situations where one game would work and another would not -- this way at least it's a consistent "use setpoint to assign keyboard input".

Yeah so was I but I'm probably mistaken nonetheless. I just went into a few games and HL2 and CS:GO both recognize G6 and G7 without any change while most others need simulated keypresses (I usually bind , . ; ' [ ]). I did have LGS running for all of those though and G8-11 still all need simulated keypresses regardless of the application.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There was no resistance at all on the wheel on the 700s, if you flicked it it would just keep going. For me personally, I like to have that feedback when I'm scrolling through weapons.

As far as the buttons, shame on me I guess for thinking in 2014 with a wide array of mice on the market with more than 5 buttons that a current game might recognize them off the hop. Not that BF4 is anything other than a big glitch anyway.

The local Best Buy & Future Shop aren't exactly bursting with different choices, so I just returned it instead of exchanging it on another. It seems Microsoft doesn't make a single mouse for the desktop anymore, everything is about the right size for an infant. I have the comfort mouse 6000, it fits my hand perfectly, but only 5 buttons, wired, and I dropped it the other night and when I went for a melee kill (bound to the wheel button) it just kept registering over and over, which kinda began this whole search. I just wish I could go back to my old original intellimouse explorer and cut the cord off of it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

There was no resistance at all on the wheel on the 700s, if you flicked it it would just keep going. For me personally, I like to have that feedback when I'm scrolling through weapons.

Haha click the button right under the mouse wheel and BE AMAZED.

Oh wait, you just returned it without even reading the package or instructions.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I would also laugh super loud if that guy had freewheel mode on the entire time without realizing it's toggleable with the press of a very obvious button right next to it. :roflolmao:

The wheel was my favorite part of the G500. I miss that metal/rubber dual action and tilt.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Man I thought about asking if he had switched to free-spin and thought, naaaaah couldn't be.

GISing some box images, the double-action mouse wheel is way less prominently called out than on the old g700. So he's not completely oblivious.

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah so was I but I'm probably mistaken nonetheless. I just went into a few games and HL2 and CS:GO both recognize G6 and G7 without any change while most others need simulated keypresses (I usually bind , . ; ' [ ]). I did have LGS running for all of those though and G8-11 still all need simulated keypresses regardless of the application.
Huh, I tried the same in the one source engine game I happen to have installed and got the exact opposite. G6 & G7 on a new default profile didn't do anything in the binding screen. The one difference is I didn't have LGS running (I like onboard profiles).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So, I am apparently finally going to have to make the swap from trackball mouse to a standard mouse, which is pretty significant since I have used trackballs for ~16 years. All new "gaming" trackballs are terrible and use your thumb for the ball which is possibly the worst design ever for something that needs precise movement, or they're those weird square things that I just don't see being comfortable.

Anyway, looking at a couple mice, those Zowie mice look pretty nice, basically I use a right-handed claw grip style and am looking for something that will be comfortable (I'm starting to develop some issues with my right hand) that will be good for gaming.

Looking at:

Zowie FK (is this available in the US yet?)
Razer DeathAdder

Are there any others I should check out? I'm leaning towards Zowie, only because I did buy a Razer deathadder at one point back around 2005 and it was possibly the worst mouse ever, but that has been so long ago that I'm sure razer has improved since then (and I'm more open to switching from a trackball.

Also, for a mousepad, should I base my decision on the type of mouse I get? LIke do certain pads work better with certain mice, or are there 2-3 pads that are generally considered the best for any type of optical mouse?

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

The 500s is on sale today http://amzn.com/B00CJD4HD2 along with a bunch of other logitech mice. Camelcamel says its the lowest its been.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Amazon to Canadians with their wallet out: "gently caress you!"

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Trickyrive posted:

The 500s is on sale today http://amzn.com/B00CJD4HD2 along with a bunch of other logitech mice. Camelcamel says its the lowest its been.

I still can't tell if I want this mouse or not, if I'm already a MX518 owner. I want that precision! Or something!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Klyith posted:

Man I thought about asking if he had switched to free-spin and thought, naaaaah couldn't be.

GISing some box images, the double-action mouse wheel is way less prominently called out than on the old g700. So he's not completely oblivious.

Even in the software, there was no indication as to what that button did. The wheel wasn't the only issue, and I really wanted something a little longer. I went off the board and ordered this Perixx thing off amazon, the reviews seem good. I'll let you know how it turns out

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MF_James posted:

I'm sure razer has improved since then (and I'm more open to switching from a trackball.

Only if your definition of improvement stretches to include 'getting worse'. I suggest you find somewhere to try some mice out so you can get a feel for the shape you want. Personally, as a deathadder owner I feel that the mouse is too low, and the hump is too far from the back of the mouse. (The shape has never changed, so if you didn't like it in 2005, you won't like it now.)

I would suggest looking at the logitech g400s and the Mionix Naos 3200 mice.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Trickyrive posted:

I ordered the G700S because I want all the buttons. I kind of want to sand off the hideous loving decals, though. I wish the normal G700 was on sale :(

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Trickyrive posted:

Welp placed an order for it. I am building a new PC, and this should work great.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Inspector_666 posted:

I ordered the G700S because I want all the buttons. I kind of want to sand off the hideous loving decals, though. I wish the normal G700 was on sale :(
They are paint, not decals. I am not a giant fan of them either but that's what was decided we would ship.

ShaneB posted:

I still can't tell if I want this mouse or not, if I'm already a MX518 owner. I want that precision! Or something!

The G500s will track very differently to your MX518 because the sensor architecture is totally different. If you like the MX518 and really really really need a new mouse, the G400s will feel more familiar. If your MX518 is still working well, I won't be sad if you stick with it.

codo27 posted:

Even in the software, there was no indication as to what that button did. The wheel wasn't the only issue, and I really wanted something a little longer. I went off the board and ordered this Perixx thing off amazon, the reviews seem good. I'll let you know how it turns out

Thanks for the feedback. The software doesn't detail what the button does because it is not programmable, but I can see where it would be useful to call its functionality out. I'll talk to the software team and see whether that's something we can work into a future release. As for the size, comfort is absolutely the most critical aspect of a mouse so getting something that fits your hand is absolutely the right way to go.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inspector_666 posted:

I wish the normal G700 was on sale :(
The normal g700 isn't even in production anymore.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Goo posted:

They are paint, not decals. I am not a giant fan of them either but that's what was decided we would ship.

I don't really care that much since nobody else will be looking at the thing and my hand will be covering it 99% of the time anyway. It just irks me for some reason.

Klyith posted:

The normal g700 isn't even in production anymore.

I figured, I just noticed Amazon still had them available.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

If the paint is anything like the G9/G9x, it'll rub off within the year anyway, at least that's been my experience.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Lord Bude posted:

Only if your definition of improvement stretches to include 'getting worse'. I suggest you find somewhere to try some mice out so you can get a feel for the shape you want. Personally, as a deathadder owner I feel that the mouse is too low, and the hump is too far from the back of the mouse. (The shape has never changed, so if you didn't like it in 2005, you won't like it now.)

I would suggest looking at the logitech g400s and the Mionix Naos 3200 mice.

Haha yeah the deathadder never felt quite right in my hand, guess I will NOT be looking at getting a newer one.

I think I'll try the G500s since it's on sale pretty cheap.

Anyone have any suggestions on mouse pads? I know literally nothing about them since I haven't used them in forever.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I like the innovera sorta oval shaped one with a wrist rest.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Goo posted:

The G500s will track very differently to your MX518 because the sensor architecture is totally different. If you like the MX518 and really really really need a new mouse, the G400s will feel more familiar. If your MX518 is still working well, I won't be sad if you stick with it.

I have no special allegiance to it, but I'm wondering if I am somehow missing out. Like moving from my old rubber dome keyboard to a mechanical one was pretty awesome, I don't want to somehow be using some adequate mouse when I could be using one that is obviously cooler.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

MF_James posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on mouse pads? I know literally nothing about them since I haven't used them in forever.

I'm using the medium sized Steelseries pad. I really like it and it doesn't seem to pick up gunk as much as other pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
So my venerable MX Revolution started double-clicking on me several months ago. I bought a cheap $10 Gigabyte 3-button mouse that's been getting the job done for me the past few months, but have been keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal on a higher quality mouse. Is the 500s deal what I've been waiting for? Is it as similar to the MX Revolution as it looks? That concave left side looks awful familiar. I'd prefer wired at this point, so that's an upside.