Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Falukorv posted:

edit: When i say "trout" i mean the European one, Salmo trutta, specifically the oceanic subspecies Salmo trutta trutta.
We call 'em brown trout over here. Small spinners are great for trout, especially bigger trout. Also, every trout eats worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Dik Hz posted:

We call 'em brown trout over here. Small spinners are great for trout, especially bigger trout. Also, every trout eats worms.

Yeah that's what i've gathered as well while looking around for info.

I actually have two Mepps spotted spinners in my bait box that i've never used before, supposed to work well on trout.

Brown trout huh? I say European because in my country we have basically one species of native trout, and then there are lakes that have imported trouts which are all species originally from North America.

It seems that Brown trout is the most common english name for it, which i wouldn't have guessed as the oceanic subspecies/morph is normally silver-colored, looks like a small atlantic salmon but with more black spots. Over here we do have two other subspecies of brown trout who actually are brown, who live in freshwater rivers and lakes.

For a long time i thought our native freshwater and saltwater trouts were different species, because of the difference in color and size and also each subspecies are named differently in Swedish (probably true for some English-speaking regions too).

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 12, 2013

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I almost lost a yellow perch the other day because my line is so junky; it broke at a random part a couple feet from the end just as I was pulling the fish out of the water. Someone posted a line recommendation in this thread a while back, but I can't find it. I had it sitting in my amazon shopping cart for ages so I wouldn't forget, but apparently that thing empties after a while. Or my wife emptied it.

Anyone have any recommendations for line for a freshwater spinning rod? I've read that light line makes it easier to detect bites, so I'd prefer to go that route.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

I almost lost a yellow perch the other day because my line is so junky; it broke at a random part a couple feet from the end just as I was pulling the fish out of the water. Someone posted a line recommendation in this thread a while back, but I can't find it. I had it sitting in my amazon shopping cart for ages so I wouldn't forget, but apparently that thing empties after a while. Or my wife emptied it.

Anyone have any recommendations for line for a freshwater spinning rod? I've read that light line makes it easier to detect bites, so I'd prefer to go that route.

There are many types of line and it's really not possible to give the best recommendation without knowing the how big the fish you are catching are and what kind of structure you are fishing around.

If you aren't fishing heavy grass or lily pads or anywhere with rocks, 10 lb braided line is wonderful. Much more sensitive than monofilament or fluorocarbon. 10 lb is super thin diameter so casting distance is awesome. The caveat is you have to have a reel that lays line decently. If your line doesn't lay evenly it can create problems, the line can pull on the coils beneath it and give you pretty ugly knots. Suffix 832 is my preferred braid because it's strong as hell and tough. Haven't had any break offs from abrasion. It is a little thicker than other 10lb braid but it's still thin enough for great casting. If this is your first time using braid make sure to keep an eye on your line and spool, it's easy for a loop to form and end up causing a disaster. If you catch the knots early you can almost always just pull tightly and they'll pop free.

Get some fluorocarbon leader and use a crazy alberto knot to connect it to the main line (braid). Braid is solid and sticks out to fish underwater, fluorocarbon transmits most light right through it and is harder for them to see so we use it for the last 3 feet before the bait or lure. I fish saltwater and my quarry is usually toothy and tough so I bump my leader up almost double the strength of my main line.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
If your equipment is older or has plastic gears, that braid can wreck poo poo due to the fact that it does not stretch at all.

Huge incoming tide in a few hours ( huge for the gulf) negative low to a +3, my rear end is heading to the oyster beds in a few :v:

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 16, 2013

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

My hunch about that big tide was apparently right.

It was nice and calm, a little windy but not too bad.

Paddled out to the oyster beds. In the span of about an hour, I caught 3 out of slot reds ( short) just easing along the oyster beds, doubled back and stuck my pole in on the leeward side of one of next to relatively deep water. Didn't get too many pics since it is a PITA to operate a camera phone on the water.

Not ten minutes after everything settled down, BAM 22" trout. He nicked up my leader, so I retied, and 2 casts later caught a 19 incher, followed shortly afterwards by a 18 incher. I regret keeping that 22" because I caught one about 24 that had to go back( Florida regulations state you can only keep one over 20"). I cut it short after nearly dropping one of the fish in my fish bag back into the water and headed in.

They were NOT messing around on that incoming tide. I haven't seen a bite that good in ages. I caught all of those in under an hour.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

What type of bag is your fishing laying in? Is that some type of cooler/insluated bag? By the way I am super jealous you get to fish the tides, I have at least another year before I get a chance to move back to a coast line.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

It's a soft cooler with little inserts you can place freezer packs or ice in, about 4 feet long and zips up. It's made out of that circus tent material(vinyl coated fabric).

http://www.tackledirect.com/boone-j...CFeJF7AodpVIA3g

They are marketed as a bait bag for offshore guys, but it works like a charm on my kayak.

Lunch was awesome today

old bay 1/2 cornmeal and flour 1/8" olive oil

Dinner wasn't too bad last night either :)

Broiled with lemon and scallions.

When it's this fresh, you pretty much don't need the seasoning

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 17, 2013

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Does that bag keep your fish cold for a good while on the water? I am trying to find a replacement for a cooler with a ton of extra weight in ice for my kayak.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Rythe posted:

Does that bag keep your fish cold for a good while on the water? I am trying to find a replacement for a cooler with a ton of extra weight in ice for my kayak.

I haven't used it yet in the middle of the summer in FL, but it does the job in the 80 degrees F range.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I went a long time in life without knowing this was a thing:

Storm drain fishing

Another

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I'm heading up to Lake of the Woods this Thursday, I can't wait :).

They have 12" of ice up there right now, and I'm hearing some great reports from the past week or so. Hopefully the fish continue to be aggressive and I will be able to share a few pictures next week. It will feel great to get out on the ice again, there's something special about ice fishing...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

me your dad posted:

I went a long time in life without knowing this was a thing:

Storm drain fishing

Another
This kid is like, the by-your-bootstraps redneck who can't get out of the suburbs, yet makes due.

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.
Not a lot of winter time posts here. Since ice fishing is the worst poo poo ever does anyone else tie flies? Feel like this is the time to be restocking your core supply and playing with some new ideas.

Been playing around with different variations on double bunnies for bull trout and some articulated streamers for pike and bulls.

Getting a little better at the streamers, this guy will need the legs trimmed and I still need a lot of practice on packing in the deer hair.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I've been tying flies every night, and I'll be building a few rods too. I'm restocking my boxes with nymphs and streamers, and making a ton of chernobyl ants for a friend who's headed to New Zealand. I'm also determined to get some more practice in and tie nicer dries too.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Been a little while since I've been able to hit the water, but Santa brought me a 7'11" 13 Fishing Omen Black and I've gotta try it out soon! Threw my Lews Tourny Pro on it and it seems really balanced. Tried a few practice casts in the backyard and the tip loads real nice for flipping jigs and such which is perfect for Guntersville.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 25, 2013

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I used to fish a lot as a kid, but I haven't been proper fishing in probably 15 years. Looking to possibly get back into it and wanted to see what you guys thought of Emmrod rods? I searched this thread and SA in general, and didn't see it mentioned once, which I thought was surprising. Seems like it would be a nice rod to keep in your car, take backpacking, or use kayak fishing. Has anyone used them? Any thoughts?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
It looks neat but I'd have a hard time convincing myself to pay that much for a smaller, weirder rod. I wonder how it casts?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

It looks neat but I'd have a hard time convincing myself to pay that much for a smaller, weirder rod. I wonder how it casts?

If they cast well and had good sensitivity I'd have no issue paying that much. Those would be awesome for Kayak fishing.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

Not a lot of winter time posts here. Since ice fishing is the worst poo poo ever does anyone else tie flies? Feel like this is the time to be restocking your core supply and playing with some new ideas.

Uhhh, Ice fishing is the best. My lake of the woods trip went well, no pictures to share unfortunately, but we caught ~150 fish in two days, which is pretty good. Nothing huge, but we did lose a few big ones under the ice. I also caught my first eelpout!

I fished last Friday-Tuesday everyday in south eastern MN for panfish on the river. Did pretty well, also got to try out the future father in laws new underwater camera, which was really cool.

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007
I'm leaving for the Big Island of Hawaii on Saturday, we have a 3/4 day charter one day so 6 hours, 4 or 5 of us + the knowledgeable captain. Anything I catch on this trip will probably be the biggest fish I've ever caught. Perhaps I shall post photos.
Then the next evening I'll be cooking what we catch. Suggestions? I'm hoping that we'll have tuna of some kind and/or mahi mahi.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have only just started fishing, and moved to somewhere where you can actually catch a decent fish, Albany, WA. Salmon season is about to start, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or stuff I should know, or what gear to buy. I have a smaller 7ft rod which is fine for smaller stuff in the river, but figure I will need to buy a rod that can handle a heavier fish, along with the appropriate line, for grabbing decent sized salmon from the beach.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Disco Dickdog posted:

I'm leaving for the Big Island of Hawaii on Saturday, we have a 3/4 day charter one day so 6 hours, 4 or 5 of us + the knowledgeable captain. Anything I catch on this trip will probably be the biggest fish I've ever caught. Perhaps I shall post photos.
Then the next evening I'll be cooking what we catch. Suggestions? I'm hoping that we'll have tuna of some kind and/or mahi mahi.

My friend did a charter fishing trip like that and he caught like a 7 foot marlin that was 200+ pounds. He's a BIG dude(played O-line in college until he got hurt) and he said it was the most grueling thing he's ever experienced. Almost a 2 hour fight if I remember right. Hopefully you hook into something like that, but be ready for a fight!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Took my 7'11" 13 Fishing Omen Black out for a spin and the rod performed great both flipping a jig and regular casting of a Spro Aruku Shad. It absolutely launches the Aruku. There was one issue however and I'm not sure if it's the rod or the line.

I put 20lb Spiderwire Stealth "Glow-Vis" braid which just came out earlier this year, on my reel. It worked like a champ and I was quickly sold on it since it had good strength and was a lot easier for me to see against the water than PowerPro. I believe I made a post in this thread commenting on it. Lately it's been in the mid-twenties and enough to ice up on the reel, so it's not the greatest conditions but not the worst I've fished in. My first time out with the new setup everything worked as expected but I didn't catch anything.

The next day however, about three casts into the day my line snapped at the first guide on the rod mid cast. I was able to grab the floating line and get my lure back at least. I stripped some line off the reel and retied thinking it was just a weak spot. The immediate cast afterwards it did the same exact thing but this time snapped more towards the middle of the rod. Unfortunately on that cast I lost the lure completely. I ended up stripping even more line off, put on a beat up rat-l-trap that weighed less than the Aruku and it cast repeatedly without problem so I went about my day. After probably 15 casts I had a strike so I went to set the hook and the line snapped around 3ft from the knot. That's when I just packed it up and went to my crappie rig for rest of the day, haha.

I just bought a spool of FC Sniper fluorocarbon line which a friend has used in the same conditions without issue so I'll give that a try next week and hopefully the braid was the issue and not a line guide on the new rod cutting into the line on casts or something like that.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Took my 7'11" 13 Fishing Omen Black out for a spin and the rod performed great both flipping a jig and regular casting of a Spro Aruku Shad. It absolutely launches the Aruku. There was one issue however and I'm not sure if it's the rod or the line.

I put 20lb Spiderwire Stealth "Glow-Vis" braid which just came out earlier this year, on my reel. It worked like a champ and I was quickly sold on it since it had good strength and was a lot easier for me to see against the water than PowerPro. I believe I made a post in this thread commenting on it. Lately it's been in the mid-twenties and enough to ice up on the reel, so it's not the greatest conditions but not the worst I've fished in. My first time out with the new setup everything worked as expected but I didn't catch anything.

The next day however, about three casts into the day my line snapped at the first guide on the rod mid cast. I was able to grab the floating line and get my lure back at least. I stripped some line off the reel and retied thinking it was just a weak spot. The immediate cast afterwards it did the same exact thing but this time snapped more towards the middle of the rod. Unfortunately on that cast I lost the lure completely. I ended up stripping even more line off, put on a beat up rat-l-trap that weighed less than the Aruku and it cast repeatedly without problem so I went about my day. After probably 15 casts I had a strike so I went to set the hook and the line snapped around 3ft from the knot. That's when I just packed it up and went to my crappie rig for rest of the day, haha.

I just bought a spool of FC Sniper fluorocarbon line which a friend has used in the same conditions without issue so I'll give that a try next week and hopefully the braid was the issue and not a line guide on the new rod cutting into the line on casts or something like that.

Hmmm, that's definitely an interesting problem. I do know that braided line isn't recommended for ICE fishing when it's below freezing because it will freeze up, but I'm not sure if that compromises the strength of the line or if it's just an inconvenience.

I would maybe take a length of the braid if you have some and rub it through each guide on the rod, tightly. See if there IS a guide that's cutting it. It's possible that when the line freezes it gets brittle or something I suppose, but I've never heard of that happening.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

DoctaFun posted:

Hmmm, that's definitely an interesting problem. I do know that braided line isn't recommended for ICE fishing when it's below freezing because it will freeze up, but I'm not sure if that compromises the strength of the line or if it's just an inconvenience.

I would maybe take a length of the braid if you have some and rub it through each guide on the rod, tightly. See if there IS a guide that's cutting it. It's possible that when the line freezes it gets brittle or something I suppose, but I've never heard of that happening.

Thanks! For some reason doing that never occurred to me. I just did a visual examination of the guides and they all seemed to be in good shape. When I get home tonight I'll give that a try since I still have a quarter of a spool of that braid left to play with.

Last year I was fishing using the same reel with PowerPro on it in similar conditions and it seemed to be just fine. Maybe whatever they do with that UV coating on the Glow-vis makes it more susceptible to the cold/ice, I'm not really sure. Strange, regardless!

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
An easier and probably more effective way of checking the guides is to simply run a cotton ball through them. The cotton should go through completely smoothly and not get caught at all.

Oddly enough I had a mysterious braid breakoff yesterday myself. Using 10 lb ghost color power pro tied via crazy alberto knot to 30 lb Ohero Flourocarbon leader. I cast it plenty of times, no issues. Waded over to a new spot and checked the knot, still in perfect shape, not slipping at all. I hookup on a couple ladyfish and launch my favorite bucktail back out. On the drop I get a nice hit and set the hook only to feel slack. Bummer. I retrieved my line and it looks like it broke within a few feet or yards of the knot, but not AT the knot. When it breaks at the alberto (when I'm pulling a snag) the braid comes back with a curly tip due to the many wraps. Last night it came back perfectly straight. I would thought it broke closer to the rod but I did retrieve most of my cast's worth of braid back.

One of my favorite jigs, an owner bullet weight style weedless (like a texas rig but the weight is built into the hook just beneath the eye, broke in half in a small ladyfishes mouth.

I hate when my gear fails, if I had a nice snook or red on I woulda been really pissed. And now I have lost some confidence in both pieces of gear.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks for the responses!

I did both: running a line through the guides for a bit and then followed up with some cotton balls and the guides all checked out okay so I'm guessing the line just does not agree with the cold water (water temps were ~40-41, air temp was lower than 27) which is disappointing but not as disappointing as if it was the brand new rod!

Funny enough I was kind of leaning towards getting a duckett micro magic rod before ending up with the omen black and the salesman told me that when you fish cold weather the micro guides on the duckett will ice up really fast and slice through line left and right. Then that whole episode with the line happens on my second trip out.. terrible feeling!

tesilential posted:

I hate when my gear fails, if I had a nice snook or red on I woulda been really pissed. And now I have lost some confidence in both pieces of gear.

Ugh, yeah no kidding. I'm definitely going to hesitate before throwing any of my nicer lures on the new rod for a couple of trips since I don't believe it's going to warm up here anytime soon and there's always going to be that nagging feeling. That jig breaking is something else, I suppose a silver lining is that you had hopefully caught enough fish to wear it out at least!

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.
I'm going to pull the trigger on a Sage Pike rod as soon as it's available to me, and a spare spool for the line that comes with it. But I have a question for anyone who chases Esox on the fly.

The line that comes with it is an F/I line, head sinks at 1.5ips. I might pick up another spool for either a full floating OR a sinking line. I can't decide which though. While not ideal I feel as though I could fish frogs, mice and poppers with an intermediate line providing I don't pause my strips excessively, but a faster sinking line could be beneficial for baitfish patterns. I'm fishing from the shore most of the time so I'd lean towards a floating line if it would be advisable.

My question basically boils down to, are there considerations I'm missing here and IF I were to pick up a sinking line, which would be recommended? Rio outbound short 3.0 ips seems like the best choice. Floating would be the Rio Pike floating line as sort of a no brainer as it was designed with casting large pike flies in mind.

I'd be open to anything from Rio, Airflo and Scientific Angler (in that order with an extreme preference for Rio)

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey a fishing thread!

Can any of you guys recommend me a good forum where they specifcially discuss good fishing spots for your area? In my case, off shore saltwater fishing in South Florida.

Any suggestions?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Gozinbulx posted:

Hey a fishing thread!

Can any of you guys recommend me a good forum where they specifcially discuss good fishing spots for your area? In my case, off shore saltwater fishing in South Florida.

Any suggestions?

Not sure about that area, but I wouldn't count on it. I live in Minnesota and the lakes near Minneapolis get hit really hard in the winter during ice fishing season. If you know of a good spot you keep it to yourself, if I were to post that I caught a limit of 12" crappies on a metro area lake and gave a pretty good description of the lake and spot, I guarantee at least 40 people(potentially A LOT more) would be in that spot the very next day. Too many people are out there trying to find that type of information. Of course it could be a different story in Florida, but something tells me that when people find a hot bite they aren't interested in sharing that bite with a lot of other people.

That said, some of the forums are quite helpful for discussing fishing tips, techniques and what to look for when trying to find certain species, so I take full advantage of that.

I got out ice fishing last weekend about an hour north of my house and we did pretty well. I bet I caught between 30-40 fish total for the day, and brought home 7 sunfish to eat. Caught a couple crappies but most were small, I was fishing with a big group, most of which were not familiar with fishing, so I spent a lot of time setting everyone up, drilling holes, etc. Still fun though :).

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I found an interesting tip about fishing one of the so called "finger channels" in Biscayne bay. I'm going to try to hit it up this weekend. Hopefully I don't run aground.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
So I'm heading to Cabo San Lucas for a little bachelor party in May with some seasoned veteran fishermen as well as a couple of us newbies who have no idea how to fish.

Anyone have any recommendations for chartering a small boat to take us out either deep-sea or shallow water fishing for a day or two? Any good experiences with particular boats/companies?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Spudalicious posted:

So I'm heading to Cabo San Lucas for a little bachelor party in May with some seasoned veteran fishermen as well as a couple of us newbies who have no idea how to fish.

Anyone have any recommendations for chartering a small boat to take us out either deep-sea or shallow water fishing for a day or two? Any good experiences with particular boats/companies?

I don't have any experience in Cabo, but my advice would be threefold:

-Don't just book the cheapest charter you can find because you or your friends are cheapskates. You really get what you pay for when it comes to fishing guides/charters, and trust me, you don't want to find yourself in a precarious situation because you wanted to save $50 a piece. I went on a cheap charter out of key west once and it was pretty janky, I wish I would have spent an extra $40 or something for one of the nicer boats.

-Find a forum or something where you can find reviews of different charters, not sure if one exists for that area, but I'm sure there's a site out there somewhere.

-Actually call these places and just ask some questions, make sure the captain or deckhand or whoever you talk to sounds friendly.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
Are there any Maryland people that would be willing to show me the ropes? I haven't been fishing since I was a kid, and I wouldn't really call what I did back then fishing in the same sense that most of you are talking about it. I've been doing a lot of reading the past couple weeks, and it seems like all of this is highly regional.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Anyone got any wading shoe/sandal suggestions? I dont want a wading boots just something decent and cheap for creeks. I've had ones like this before, but they end up holding a ton of water and getting little creek rocks and sediment in them.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Nothing I have used in my years of fishing and kayaking really work all that well to keep crap out of your shoes other then a nice set of waders. I have a cheap set of 2 mm neoprene waders and I can use them in the summer time without dying too much to the heat.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Waders and an old worn out pair of hiking boots works wonders.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I finally bought a fish finder.

This badboy: http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=7655#.UuqFGPldWvs

Hopefully I can find some actual fish in Biscayne Bay.

Anyone from the area? Any experiences with near-shore fishing I guess it would be called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Managed to get out for about 5 hours on Saturday with a good friend of mine to find some panfish. We ended up catching probably 120+ sunfish, with a few rock bass and crappies mixed in. It was crazy, we drilled one hole in the ice in the general area we wanted to fish and there was a whole bunch of fish on the flasher. Setup shop there and we caught fish constantly. I don't think I went more than 3 minutes without catching a fish then entire day. Ended up keeping my limit of sunfish, which I'm going to eat tomorrow night.

I can't get enough ice fishing this year, I wish I could get out more...