Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AAA DOLFAN posted:

This can't be true, can it?

I'd believe it.

I remember when one of our safeties got recruited to Hawaii. Our coach comes into practice with Hawaii's roster chart and it had him listed as 6'2 200 pounds. All the seniors died laughing because that safety was only 5'10 175 on a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

AAA DOLFAN posted:

This can't be true, can it?

It started off at 5'11":

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=208198610

I think its mentioned somewhere in this broadcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPBA5Y3t2ag

*sigh*

What a team - Marshawn, Desean, Alex Mack, Brian De La Puente, Jahvid Best on Offense.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Shadowhand00 posted:

What a team - Marshawn, Desean, Alex Mack, Brian De La Puente, Jahvid Best on Offense.

Nice offseason thread: build a team with current NFL players who played at your college.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

OperaMouse posted:

Nice offseason thread: build a team with current NFL players who played at your college.

Ugh gently caress I don't want to have the Patriots without Brady.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

OperaMouse posted:

Mine would basically be the Buccaneers. I guess I split time between ASU and Rutgers so I'd get a pretty decent Vontaze Burfict as well.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Mine would be pretty terrible. Kevin Kolb's braindead corpse throwing to Donnie Avery all day e'ry day while Case Keenum watches on the sideline

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OperaMouse posted:

Is there any current NFL player that attended the University of Minnesota at Morris? My team would be pretty much one guy who's only job was to deliver the concession notice.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Russell Wilson could sit back for 10 seconds behind his line of Joe Thomas/Zeitler/Frederick/Urbik. I guess Wagner would be RT since Carimi was a bust.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Russell Wilson would actually be handing the ball off to Andre Brown and letting Hauschka kick all the extra points and field goals :colbert:

just kidding its Philip Rivers throwing bombs to Jericho Cotchery and TJ Graham

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 20, 2014

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Colt McCoy handing the ball off to Jamaal Charles every down. Phil Dawson scores all the points, and our defense gives up none.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All of the senior bowl weigh-in results if anyone is interested:

http://draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Weigh-In.php

edit: Garoppolo only has 9" hands as long as we're looking for the new Tiny Hands
edit2: And Borland only has a 73⅜ wingspan. Not sure an ILB with t-rex arms is going to really excite teams

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 20, 2014

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Holy moley I knew Daniel McCullers is gigantic, not at all surprised he's the biggest on the chart.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Uh... Tannehill and some Lineman. Christine Michaels and Von Miller, Red Bryant is still playing. Does Canadian Football count?

Oh! Forgot Martellus and Michael.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 20, 2014

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
For Cal (not my original post)

Offense:
QB - Aaron Rodgers (GB)
RB - Marshawn Lynch (Seattle)
RB - Shane Vereen (NE)
FB - Will Ta'ufo'ou (Jacksonville)
WR - Keenan Allen (SD)
WR - DeSean Jackson (Philadelphia)
TE - Craig Stevens (Tennessee)
OT - Mitchell Schwartz (Cleveland)
G - Brian De La Puente (New Orleans)
C - Alex Mack (Cleveland)
G - Brian Schwenke (Tennessee)
OT - Mike Gibson (Arizona)
K -
LS - Nick Sundberg (Washington)
KR - Jeremy Ross (Detroit)

Defense:

DE - Cameron Jordan (New Orleans)
DT - Tyson Alualu (Jacksonville)
DT - Brandon Mebane (Seattle)
DE -
LB - Mychal Kendricks (Philadelphia)
LB - Mike Mohammed (Houston)
LB - Desmond Bishop (Minnesota)
S - Thomas DeCoud (Atlanta)
S - Matt Giordano (St. Louis)
CB - Steve Williams (San Diego)
CB - Chris Conte (Chicago)
P - Bryan Anger (Jacksonville)
ST - Lorenzo Alexander (Arizona)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Holy moley I knew Daniel McCullers is gigantic, not at all surprised he's the biggest on the chart.

Not translating to practice so far tho

quote:

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 33m
Daniel McCullers/DT/Tennessee looks awful in drills. Slow and sluggish.

Michael Schottey ‏@Schottey 9m
Daniel McCullers is too big to play so weak. Got pushed around at UT and getting pushed around here

Kyle Casey ‏@kylecasey094 7m
Daniel McCullers has let Gabe Ikard take him out of the play multiple times. McCullers doesn't even look like he's trying.

Kyle Casey ‏@kylecasey094 11m
Not a good look for McCullers RT @JeffRisdon: Ikard getting work at RG & just walled off McCullers

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Man how does Shaquelle Evans catch anything?

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Intruder posted:

Man how does Shaquelle Evans catch anything?

He uses his 3/8" hand-spikes to pierce football.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone have a good list of people to follow for the senior bowl?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Chase Daniel throws a billion TDs to Jeremy Maclin. Same as it ever was. A rad defensive line of, like, Aldon Smith - Justin Smith - Sheldon Richardson - Ziggy Hood. The rest of the defense is probably kind of lovely outside of William Moore.

e: that line is way cooler if I can cheat and replace Ziggy Hood with Kony Ealy

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shadowhand00 posted:

https://twitter.com/knoxbardeen/lists/senior-bowl-2014

quote:

@Schottey
Quote of the day: "Let's roll, yo"--Ted Thompson to his scouts. I'm dead serious, that happened. It was glorious.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 20, 2014

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

OperaMouse posted:

Offense:
WR Steve Johnson (s), TE Jacob Tamme, OG Larry Warford (s), OG/OT Garry Williams (IR/s) WR Randall Cobb :swoon:, FB John Conner (s), RB Alfonso Smith

Defense:
DT Corey Peters (s), DT Ricky Lumpkin, LB Wesley Woodyard (s), LB Danny Trevathan (s), SS Winston Guy

ST:
P Tim Masthay (s)

That is... a lot closer to a full team than I was expecting. Did not realize there were seven starters (plus one starter on IR) in the NFL who were UK alumni.

Azhais posted:

Is there any current NFL player that attended the University of Minnesota at Morris? My team would be pretty much one guy who's only job was to deliver the concession notice.

I figured there had to at least be some player ever, but there's not. Weird.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Zypher posted:

Colt McCoy handing the ball off to Jamaal Charles every down. Phil Dawson scores all the points, and our defense gives up none.

You wouldn't take Justin Tucker over Phil? I mean I loves me some Phil but currently...

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

OperaMouse posted:

At least our WR core is nice: Danny Amendola, Wes Welker, and Michael Crabtree (who apparently isn't top 20)

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Azhais posted:

All of the senior bowl weigh-in results if anyone is interested:

http://draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Weigh-In.php

edit: Garoppolo only has 9" hands as long as we're looking for the new Tiny Hands
edit2: And Borland only has a 73⅜ wingspan. Not sure an ILB with t-rex arms is going to really excite teams

quote:

Shaquelle Evans, UCLA
Height: 6-0¾
Weight: 210
Arm: 31⅞
Hand: ⅜
W-Span: 76¾
I know it's a typo but I laughed anyway.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Basil Hayden posted:

I know it's a typo but I laughed anyway.

I'm gonna need someone to photoshop those baby hands.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

No Safe Word posted:

You wouldn't take Justin Tucker over Phil? I mean I loves me some Phil but currently...

You're right. Too much playoffs on the brain.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Shadowhand00 posted:

I recommend @danebrugler, @joshnorris, @mockingthedraft, and @nfldraftscout but somebody else might have something more comprehensive.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Apparently despite his trex arms Borland is impressing on the field. Interception in 7v7 drills already

edit: And vindication for you Boyd haters

quote:

Packers scout "based on what I'm seeing Tahj Boyd is not draftable"

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 20, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

OperaMouse posted:

Jim Kleinsasser and Chris Kuper and then a bunch of dudes in the 1920s

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
Clay Harbor and David Arkin. Go Bears?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
FSU has too many to work out, just know that we have Darnell Dockett and Anquan Boldin.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So much for that QB depth if this is a common thought

quote:

@NEPD_Loyko

According to one NFL GM none of the QBs here are franchise players and only 1-2 have draftable grades

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Azhais posted:

So much for that QB depth if this is a common thought
Nobody here thought Morris, Fales or Thomas were franchise-caliber QBs. Also bear in mind GMs will have different grades on everyone.

I didn't expect Boyd to be anything more than a 3rd-5th rd pick at best so I'm going to assume that Carr and Garropolo are the two QBs that GM is interested in.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Tweets were saying Fales was the best of the lot today

edit: apparently early. The after practice reports are coming in and saying Fales was awful and Carr stole the show

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

PrinceRandom posted:

Uh... Tannehill and some Lineman. Christine Michaels and Von Miller, Red Bryant is still playing. Does Canadian Football count?

Oh! Forgot Martellus and Michael.
I know they're not drafted yet but put Manziel at QB and switch Tannehill back to slot WR with Evans out wide. We have a ton of DL in the league with Damontre Moore, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Johnny Jolly on top of who you named. Also we have Shane Lechler and Fat Randy on special teams. Pretty much nobody of note in the secondary outside of practice squaddies though, unless Toney Hurd catches on as a UDFA somewhere.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 21, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I didn't expect Boyd to be anything more than a 3rd-5th rd pick at best so I'm going to assume that Carr and Garropolo are the two QBs that GM is interested in.

I know nothing about Garropolo other than watching him in the Shrine game and I still sort of want to draft him. I'd be a terrible scout, which isn't news, but I am curious to see what happens with him.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Azhais posted:

Tweets were saying Fales was the best of the lot today

edit: apparently early. The after practice reports are coming in and saying Fales was awful and Carr stole the show

The guys I follow seemed to react as a consensus that Carr was the best of the group by far, Garoppolo was mixed and did some good and bad things, Logan Thomas did surprisingly well, and Fales/Morris were real bad.

Sounds like Cyril Richardson had a nightmare of a day, came in overweight during the measurements and was getting beaten like a drum in practice.

e: The worst part about Garoppolo is constantly having to double-check that I spelled his name right. 3rd rounder at best imo

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Elotana posted:

I know they're not drafted yet but put Manziel at QB and switch Tannehill back to slot WR with Evans out wide. We have a ton of DL in the league with Damontre Moore, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Johnny Jolly on top of who you named. Also we have Shane Lechler and Fat Randy on special teams. Pretty much nobody of note in the secondary outside of practice squaddies though, unless Toney Hurd catches on as a UDFA somewhere.

It's really sad that Jeff Fuller never caught on anywhere.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Intruder posted:

Mine would be pretty terrible. Kevin Kolb's braindead corpse throwing to Donnie Avery all day e'ry day while Case Keenum watches on the sideline

It seriously breaks my heart that Jackie Battle hasn't been able to stick with a team, but at least he's still active!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Long-form Senior Bowl practice reports from CBS:

Dane Brugler posted:

1. DT Aaron Donald was an unstoppable force on Monday. Like his play all season, the Pitt defensive tackle was extremely quick in drills and was relentless from snap to whistle. His burst and anticipation off the snap and active energy to fight through and around blocks make him tough for any blocker to handle. Donald repeatedly victimized Baylor OG Cyril Richardson at practice, winning with leverage, hustle and fluidity that Richardson has likely never seen before on the football field. Donald's skill-set is ideal for one-on-one drills so he should shine, but the NFL team that drafts him will get a really good football player.

2. I feel for the wide receivers on the North team due to the inconsistency from all three quarterbacks on the roster. Miami QB Stephen Morris, Virginia Tech QB Logan Thomas and Clemson QB Tajh Boyd were all inconsistent on day one, which was almost expected after the up-and-down senior seasons of all three. Boyd in particular struggled with accuracy and his ball placement is a strong concern. Thomas threw a few pretty passes that hit receivers between the numbers, but other fastballs hit the ground or sailed over his intended target. The good news for this group? The only place to go from here is up.

3. Speaking of the wide receivers, I really like the group on the North team. The South squad might have the only senior wideout who ends up being drafted in the top-50 picks (Jordan Matthews), but the mid-round talent at receiver on the North is above average. Wisconsin WR Jared Abbrederis, Wyoming WR Robert Herron and Oregon WR Josh Huff all looked good on Monday before, after and during the catch. All three have a legitimate chance to be drafted in the top-100 and Monday reminded everyone why.

4. Ohio State OT Jack Mewhort lined up at right tackle and did an excellent job sinking his butt, digging his cleats in the ground and stonewalling rushers. He lined up across from North Carolina DE Kareem Martin (and his long 34 3/8” arms) several times and Mewhort did an excellent job combating hand moves and riding him past the pocket. The former Buckeye is built well for the right tackle position at 6-6 and 306 pounds and has shown consistent improvement from his underclassmen days.

5. Miami OT Seantrel Henderson continues to be a mystery. He flashed on Monday with his strong, heavy hands to punch and control rushers. But his snap anticipation and balance were up-and-down throughout drills. It's been said time and time again, but if a NFL coaching staff can get Henderson to play focused and ambitious, they'll land themselves a very good player. He is a player to watch this week to see how he responds to the instructions of the Falcons' coaching staff.

6. Linenwood CB Pierre Desir and Nebraska CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste are both tall, long defensive backs who have the athleticism to turn and run with receivers downfield. They both did a nice job in press-man to get physical at the line of scrimmage and then ride the receiver through the route, although both got away with a little too much holding. Neither are elite when controlling their start/stop momentum, but neither are allergic to contact either. And with several teams who utilize press-man techniques on defense looking for the next Richard Sherman, both Desir and Jean-Baptiste are players to watch this week.

7. As I mentioned in my Senior Bowl preview, Northern Illinois S Jimmie Ward is the top safety prospect in Mobile this week in my opinion and he played like it on Monday. He overcame a few poor angles early and put together a good practice, showing off his foot quickness and aggressive instincts. A Mobile-native, Ward could make a case to be the top defensive back overall this week.

8. Louisiana Tech DT Justin Ellis picked up right where he left off last week at the Shrine Game, using his quickness and snap anticipation to surge past blockers before they were in a stance. He is a quick thinker and reacts well to what the blocker wants to do, either attacking with pure momentum or using a spin or sidestep move to get past him. Ellis, who weighed nine pounds lighter from the Shrine Game weigh-ins, has helped himself as much as anyone the past two weeks and shouldn't last long on the draft's third day.

9. Clemson OT Brandon Thomas played left tackle in college, but he projects better at guard where he can operate in a smaller space and that showed in practice on Monday. He measured in at 34 3/8” arms and will use that length to engage and bury defenders – just ask fellow ACC prospect DE James Gayle out of Virginia Tech who Thomas dominated a few times. But the former Clemson blocker also struggled in space during drills, bringing up questions on whether or not he should stay on the edges.

10. Yes, he plays on the South squad and this is a North practice review, but I feel compelled to mention North Dakota State OL Billy Turner. He lined up at guard and tackle during practice and showed off his quick feet, upper body strength and mean punch to handle rushers. If Turner can learn to consistently sink his hips and not bend so much at the waist, I truly believe there are several Pro Bowls in his future.

Rob Rang posted:

1. Of the South's quarterbacks, Fresno State's Derek Carr unquestionably possesses the best arm. The ball explodes out of his hand and caught a few of his new teammates by surprise with how quickly it got to them. Carr showed good anticipation, often delivering passes before his receivers turned back to look for the ball.

2. Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo continued the positive momentum he'd gained from the East-West Shrine Game with an impressive initial practice. While he does not possess Carr's howitzer, Garoppolo has a very quick set-up and release and frequently threw led his receivers away from defenders, showing better ball-placement than Carr on several of his throws.

3. On the defensive side of the ball, Oklahoma cornerback Aaron Colvin demonsrated good speed and fluidity in coverage, as well as excellent leaping ability and timing to knock away passes.

4. Tennessee right tackle Ju'Wuan James hasn't received a lot of fanfare but he is a smooth athlete at 6-foot-6, 315 pounds. He was beaten on occasion but plays with terrific knee bend and got to the second level during scrimmages.

5. As impressive James was, arguably the most impressive offensive lineman of the day was North Dakota State's Billy Turner, who possesses a very similar build at 6-foot-5, 316 pounds. Unlike James, Turner struggles a bit with leverage, bending at the waist rather than the knees but he has strong hands and is a good athlete who projects as a quality NFL starter with a little refinement. His upside could push Turner into the top 100 picks, if he isn't there already.

6. Given his 6-foot-2, 243-pound frame, perhaps it isn't surprising that Auburn's Dee Ford was the most explosive of the South's pass-rushers but he certainly showed the burst to catch the attention of every scout in the stands. Ford is stronger than his size indicates and carried over the strong senior campaign that helped his Tigers qualify for the national championship game into Monday's practice.

7. While Ford played well, his former Auburn teammate, Chris Davis, struggled a bit fielding punts early in the practice. Davis has a tendency to allow the ball to hit his chest plate, which results in some double-clutching. Oklahoma's Jalen Saunders also struggled in this area. The former Sooners' star also dropped a couple of passes.

8. San Jose State quarterback David Fales is more of a gamer than a practice-guy but his lack of ideal arm-strength, unfortunately, stood out in comparison to Carr and, to a lesser-extent, Garoppolo. Fales telegraphed some throws (including a short pass over the middle that was intercepted by LSU linebacker Lamin Barrow) and his passes to the perimeter had too much air under them.

9. Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton didn't have the most impressive weigh-in but he showed off his athleticism with a terrific spin move to beat Arkansas center Travis Swanson (who was playing guard) during one-on-one drills late in practice.

10. Of the linebackers, I was most impressed with BYU's Kyle Van Noy, who frequently is lauded for his ability at the line of scrimmage but showed off his fluidity and instincts in coverage by closing quickly to bat away multliple passes.

Not a lot of huge names in the Senior Bowl this year since there are so many underclassmen declaring, but there you go.

• Locked thread