Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fuligin posted:

That color scheme is gorgeous, though. Does it come from the mod?
I think it's from the SWMH portion of the collaboration, which is also where the detailed map itself comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hmm. It seems the demonspawn event trigger picks the first available, suitable child in your lineage. I'm thinking this, because I just got the chain start event....for my dead 1-year-old (he was an Imbecile, okay? It was for the good of the Empire)

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Hmm. It seems the demonspawn event trigger picks the first available, suitable child in your lineage. I'm thinking this, because I just got the chain start event....for my dead 1-year-old (he was an Imbecile, okay? It was for the good of the Empire)

Did Satan bring him back to life? :stare:

I was laughing at the post earlier with someone having an Attractive AND Ugly courtier, and I thought the game would never generate a character like that for me until today

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Something about being contentedly ambitious seems very Irish.

Also I got the demonspawn event again, this time as the Emir of Jerusalem. This game is really trying to get me to play as the antichrist I guess.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
Is the Merry Men event supposed to be a one time only thing or can it fire multiple times? I've had the archery competition happen 3 times in a few months and it's led to 3 Robin marrying Maid Marion events. My court is getting crowded here.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
It's normally supposed to happen just once, but I've seen it repeat until a ruler's death a lot. Look on the bright side, you have unlanded, loyal courtiers with fantastic martial skills. You can steamroll pretty much anyone with a few armies led by Robins.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
How can I remove a guy's Broken Spirit debuff? I've seen it before, I had a count or duke who had the Peasant Leader trait but no Broken Spirit. I thought it was by making them into a Duke, but I tried that and it didn't work. I'd very much like that Ambitiously Content Irishman leading some of my armies but the -10 Martial is killing me.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

hellsjudge posted:

How can I remove a guy's Broken Spirit debuff? I've seen it before, I had a count or duke who had the Peasant Leader trait but no Broken Spirit. I thought it was by making them into a Duke, but I tried that and it didn't work. I'd very much like that Ambitiously Content Irishman leading some of my armies but the -10 Martial is killing me.

I think they lose it if you banish them, but you won't be able to get them back obviously. There's no obvious way to do it, and if there is a way I can't imagine it's intended.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

hellsjudge posted:

The whole reason they added the debuff was so that you wouldn't be able to get a constant stream of 20+ martial generals to lead your armies.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

jpmeyer posted:

The whole reason they added the debuff was so that you wouldn't be able to get a constant stream of 20+ martial generals to lead your armies.

Yeah, we can't have anything good come out of constant rebellions.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
I just checked my prison, I had a peasant leader in there but his Broken Spirit debuff fell off. His Martial score isn't impressive, though, so there's no point keeping him around.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
One thing it might be: peasant revolts also have extra courtiers, and sometimes you can capture them in battle. They, too, have the peasant revolt trait, and I have a feeling they don't get the broken spirit modifier on defeat.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Torrannor posted:

The obvious piece you are missing is that dukes and above generate tech points that they have to spend to increase techs in their capital. If you are only a count you will not notice this, but at any higher rank you will get tech points dependent on your ability scores (martial + learning for military techs, stewardship + learning for economic techs, diplomacy + learning for cultural techs).

They what? I've put like a weeks worth of hours into this game and I didn't know that. Time to stab people merely for being dumb.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

:getin:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

10k light infantry? oh AI :allears:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It's still 21k to 15k without the light infantry factored in!

How'd you pull that off?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

The importance of terrain can never be overstated. Fight on high ground and make your opponent cross a body of body of water (rivers, straits, major rivers, etc) to get to you. I had capable commanders of martial ~16-19 on every flank but none of them had notable traits/commander traits, except for my cruel, brave, patient son whose day job is actually being a detached priest; he was put in the centre. I imagine it could have gone worse for the enemy but my creme of the crop commanders were unavailable at the time.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

TaurusTorus posted:

Yeah, we can't have anything good come out of constant rebellions.

I have a feeling the religious revolt bonus will get a massive nerf shortly. It makes it possible to prop up giant empires and those seem to be public enemy number one these days. Having one pop up in somewhere like Cyprus is basically five years of +30.

CapnAndy posted:

How'd you pull that off?

Empty/no leader flanks and terrain bonuses are serious business now. Park on a mountain across a river and watch the AI march to their doom.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
for foreigner revolts , let them take a few (or even just one) territory , beat their army to uselessness bu not 100% and you get a free +50 bonus for a really long time. They really need to change it, make the bonus diminish overtime or something.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Lumius posted:

for foreigner revolts , let them take a few (or even just one) territory , beat their army to uselessness bu not 100% and you get a free +50 bonus for a really long time. They really need to change it, make the bonus diminish overtime or something.

Yeah, those religious and liberation revolts are incredibly useful especially early on. It's a bit like depressed trait. It's supposed to be bad, but it's one of the best things that can happen to a ruler.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

rvm posted:

Yeah, those religious and liberation revolts are incredibly useful especially early on. It's a bit like depressed trait. It's supposed to be bad, but it's one of the best things that can happen to a ruler.

Don't let it run too long though especially early on when you're trying to reform a religion if you're Pagan. Each successful siege takes one point off your MA.

On the other hand, I had a fun time with one rebellion that took like 6 holdings and then ended up dwindling down to 1.5k rebels then they ran around while the warscore actually went up for me since they couldn't siege anything, it kinda petered out and then they surrendered without one battle fought.

e: important news, I just confirmed the AI WILL form a serene republic, you just gotta get the right guy to finally do it. I'm on Ironman so I couldn't switch over and make the kingdom for him so :toot: COME HERE YOU SWEET TAX DOLLARS

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 20, 2014

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

My friends and I are planning a CK2 multiplayer game, we all use ruler designer- I'd really like to play as an iberian jewish ruler. We're thinking 1066 might be better than 867 for this. Could I last alright as Navarra? Umayyad would just have me losing within a decade. For 1066 I was thinking going emirate of Seville or something. Tips, help, anything to keep me from becoming a burning corpse within a generation? :v:

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
Going back to my post from earlier, finally finished with 7 Robin and Marion couples in my court before it stopped activating. The strange thing is none of them had kids before they died.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Mailer posted:

Empty/no leader flanks and terrain bonuses are serious business now.

That reminds me, by the time of the first crusade some upstart with fantastic martial initiated a fully-fledged peasant's crusade against me, a currently crusading catholic, for reasons :shrug:. He started with a vertible doomstack of 30K. After shaking my :arghfist: at paradox for a while I went after it with my full muster of 8K men. I was bracing for defeat but when the battle began the enemy completely lacked a flank (they were a wash of untrained rabble I guess) and against my professional army the peasants collapsed so spectacularly I didn't take a screenshot because I thought it was partly scripted that way for historical accuracy.

rvm
May 6, 2013

HenessyHero posted:

That reminds me, by the time of the first crusade some upstart with fantastic martial initiated a fully-fledged peasant's crusade against me, a currently crusading catholic, for reasons :shrug:. He started with a vertible doomstack of 30K. After shaking my :arghfist: at paradox for a while I went after it with my full muster of 8K men. I was bracing for defeat but when the battle began the enemy completely lacked a flank (they were a wash of untrained rabble I guess) and against my professional army the peasants collapsed so spectacularly I didn't take a screenshot because I thought it was partly scripted that way for historical accuracy.

Wait before you get decent teched-up cultural retinue with proper leaders. It's pretty insane. Clean victory against famed Mongolian horse archers while being outnumbered 2 to 1 and crossing a river.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

HenessyHero posted:

The importance of terrain can never be overstated. Fight on high ground and make your opponent cross a body of body of water (rivers, straits, major rivers, etc) to get to you. I had capable commanders of martial ~16-19 on every flank but none of them had notable traits/commander traits, except for my cruel, brave, patient son whose day job is actually being a detached priest; he was put in the centre. I imagine it could have gone worse for the enemy but my creme of the crop commanders were unavailable at the time.

I've had similar occur in my war for the conquest of Scotland. The Scottish King technically had a larger army than me, but I parked my smaller force in Ulster whilst he had to cross the sea. It was narrow, but with the bonuses/handicaps playing out as they did, the day was mine.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Astro Nut posted:

I've had similar occur in my war for the conquest of Scotland. The Scottish King technically had a larger army than me, but I parked my smaller force in Ulster whilst he had to cross the sea. It was narrow, but with the bonuses/handicaps playing out as they did, the day was mine.

Hey, that's how I took Scotland! Ulster defence buddies!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Man can't a king kill himself in peace? due to my king's favorite genius content brother gaining a bad case of possessed by satan and some cocks up with stab-advancing my sisters and daughters, I kept getting civil wars in Sweden wars to replace him.

My plan was - as the king was depressed that he takes over Zeeland and that other place so they're under Norse rule, reform Norse Paganism then commit suicide out of combination of guilt feelings and sacrificing oneself to the gods, but the wars keep getting in my way.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

dogstile posted:

Hey, that's how I took Scotland! Ulster defence buddies!

Ulster is how Ireland wins at Britain :hf:

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
For how long have there been hidden generals in armies? Like, I raise my levies, combine them all, and all the automatically assigned generals from all the separate parts stay in the army. I lost a fantastic heir because he died in battle when he wasn't assigned to any of the three positions.

Also, the year is after 1220 or something in my multiplayer game, I've reformed the Norse religion, and it won't let me call Great Holy Wars for the reason that "the era of pagan great holy wars has not begun" or something like that. Isn't that supposed to begin at 1100?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

pwnyXpress posted:

For how long have there been hidden generals in armies? Like, I raise my levies, combine them all, and all the automatically assigned generals from all the separate parts stay in the army. I lost a fantastic heir because he died in battle when he wasn't assigned to any of the three positions.

He was leading a sub-unit on that flank. This game really needs a toggle for rulers and children to allow you to prevent them from ever fighting.

pwnyXpress posted:

Also, the year is after 1220 or something in my multiplayer game, I've reformed the Norse religion, and it won't let me call Great Holy Wars for the reason that "the era of pagan great holy wars has not begun" or something like that. Isn't that supposed to begin at 1100?

Pagans need to have both Crusades and Jihads enabled before they can use their own crusade mechanic.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I don't have a screenshot of it, but my greek muslim trade republic beat an aztec 130k man doomstack with 26k cataphract retinues, due to having a 22, a 23, and a 18 martial person, all with Holy Warrior, as well as the 23 having Cavalry Leader.

Making them chase me over a river, I lost only 3000ish men, compared to them losing over a hundred thousand. Then again, Aztec doomstacks are mostly light infantry, so it's not too huge.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Are there any sort of general guidelines for building retinues? Right now I'm just rolling with 4 cultural retinues as Burgundy, they're the heavy cavalry ones.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MrBling posted:

Are there any sort of general guidelines for building retinues? Right now I'm just rolling with 4 cultural retinues as Burgundy, they're the heavy cavalry ones.
Horse archers uber alles, heavy cav when you can get it, heavy infantry when you can't, back them up with sizable amounts of archers for assaults.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Horse archers uber alles, heavy cav when you can get it, heavy infantry when you can't, back them up with sizable amounts of archers for assaults.

Unless you're England. Then use the Longbowman Retinue by itself so you can use the volley battle tactic. Watch your retinue Heinz Guderian pretty much any force you come up against.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

It's also worth it to back up heavy cav with archers, because they are absolutely terrible at sieging - they will take little to no casualties, but the assault speed is just dreadful. Horse archers do it all and never fail :argh:

Omnicarus posted:

Unless you're England. Then use the Longbowman Retinue by itself so you can use the volley battle tactic. Watch your retinue Heinz Guderian pretty much any force you come up against.

500 perma-archers for 500 retinue points? yes please.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

CapnAndy posted:

Absolutely. If you're in the Byzantine culture group, the Horse Archer/Heavy Cavalry retinue rules all. If you've got decent generals, 10,000 of them will absolutely destroy any army you will possibly face short of the Mongol/Aztec doomstacks, on any terrain.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
For retinues I'd actually recommend this:

When you can get either Horse Archers/Longbowmen/Cataphracts, always do those

Otherwise, I generally build them at a 1:1 ratio of skirmish:defensive, this lets you complete sieges quickly, and if you know how to properly pick terrain (i.e. rivers, mountains, hills) you can easily decimate attacking armies. The other major benefit of this is that you get 1000:1400 manpower:retinue cap, so this balances out force calculations for factions.

You can also change retinues based on playstyle, if you just go solid cavalry you can sit them at a border and then blitz across an enemy's territory destroying vassal levies as soon as they're raised. It's also important to consider terrain; if you're based around the alps or the Caucasus and you don't want to expand aggressively, either the cultural pikemen or normal defensive interspersed with skirmish groups are great. On the other hand, cataphracts and knights are pretty drat effective on the wide open areas in other places.

There's also a point where if you're blobbing (you own a massive empire and want the whole map to be one colour) you can use the high-value retinues very effectively; a stack of 25k cataphracts or knights will generally decimate nearly anything in game (besides mongol/timurid doomstacks), or if you manage to get english culture (or really expand wales) you can use 10k longbowmen to instasiege.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MrBling posted:

The above advice is good, but keep in mind that the unit types used in your cultural retinues will get significant boosts from having generals of that culture, as they'll have special culture-specific tactics that enhance that unit type's performance. Generals of other cultures will boost the same kinds of units used in their cultural retinues, which means that archers will be a lot better if you can scare up an English commander for them, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

In my current game I've had three cadaver synods and it's only 934. What the hell is going on in the Vatican?

• Locked thread