Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So Colossotron was super simple and now I am dying just about every time I play. I'm on the Japan-type continent, and have no idea how to keep my segments alive. Should I concentrate on farming more of the in app currency until I can upgrade armor on all the colors, or what?

Those freaking massive numbers of tanks just end me each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Get Survivalcraft instead. It's great.

Or The Blockheads which is also great.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

SquadronROE posted:

So Colossotron was super simple and now I am dying just about every time I play. I'm on the Japan-type continent, and have no idea how to keep my segments alive. Should I concentrate on farming more of the in app currency until I can upgrade armor on all the colors, or what?

Grind or pay to skip grinding. Collossatron was fun for 5 worlds and then it became a really bad game.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Did Sonic really not have game saves on Genesis, or was I just too dumb to find it as a kid?

Playing through on iOS, I still have the first few worlds of the games memorized, but beyond that I'm so reliant on saves that I'm amazed anyone ever beat them honestly on Genesis.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Did Sonic really not have game saves on Genesis, or was I just too dumb to find it as a kid?
It didn't have saves until...Sonic 3 I think.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It didn't have saves until...Sonic 3 I think.

This is correct.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
When I use the Facebook app on iOS it will suggest apps or games sometimes. More often than not the game advertised is using a BLATANT screenshot of another game, today it was another one of those "collect cards and duel" games using a screen shot of God of War. No ambiguity, no "well it COULD be artistically similar", it was Kratos staring at a Medusa.

Is it that insignificant in the long run that small companies are trying to use established brands to piggy back or do the companies just don't know ? Just curious to this. It isn't like its some back alley knock off shop, it's on Facebook.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

It isn't like its some back alley knock off shop, it's on Facebook.

Uh, well,

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of which, the Candy Crush Saga devs registered claim to the word "candy" as it pertains to video games and clothing and are now asking developers of other games with "Candy" in the title to remove their games from the app store :allears:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Urdnot Fire posted:

Speaking of which, the Candy Crush Saga devs registered claim to the word "candy" as it pertains to video games and clothing and are now asking developers of other games with "Candy" in the title to remove their games from the app store :allears:

I suspect Apple may take their side.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Well what ? Only thing I can assume it is "lost" in the shuffle of so much information. Facebook isn't exactly low profile is what I am getting at. If I were going to blatantly plagiarize something I would advertise it on a major social media outlet.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Well what ? Only thing I can assume it is "lost" in the shuffle of so much information. Facebook isn't exactly low profile is what I am getting at. If I were going to blatantly plagiarize something I would advertise it on a major social media outlet.

Have you seen other Facebook ads lately? They're the most bottom-of-the-barrel dogshit imaginable. Blatantly false advertising is the order of the day.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

The rear end Stooge posted:

Have you seen other Facebook ads lately? They're the most bottom-of-the-barrel dogshit imaginable. Blatantly false advertising is the order of the day.

Valid point. I'm not sure if I am just naive or just choose to not believe that people are that stupid. Especially with that recent case where Apple had to pay back money to parents because "they didn't know what their kids were buying", I'm just curious to see how much Apple cracks down more on this stuff.

From my limited knowledge, any company with enough start up money can get a game on the marketplace. Make it as much of a blatant rip off of a popular game, load it with IAP and anime girls/animal creatures and profit. Make as much money as they can before drawing too much attention then just disappear.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

Specialize. Oh wait. Dammit, Japan is before you get the ability to select your pod colour isnt it? Still, specialize. Just place yellow sniper pods and purple healing pods and only armor up those two. If it's your first time around, snipers will massacre everything around you. It's not necessary to have a super tier sniper either. In fact, it may be detrimental. I've found that long chains of 2s and 1s are way more effective because of their rate of fire. I build them just under the amount needed and just shuffle in pods as needed.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Valid point. I'm not sure if I am just naive or just choose to not believe that people are that stupid. Especially with that recent case where Apple had to pay back money to parents because "they didn't know what their kids were buying", I'm just curious to see how much Apple cracks down more on this stuff.

With Apple's system, parents through they were authorizing a single specific purchase, not all purchases for the next 15 minutes.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Urdnot Fire posted:

This is dumb. Also, does anyone have that article from before that talked about how Candy Crush was designed to be a form of digital crack?

Edit: Because I want to tag people on facebook who keep sending me candy crush invites with these articles to tell them to stop playing the drat thing.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 20, 2014

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Starbound Anarkist is cool, thanks. Solid $2 game to play in short bursts and I'm loving all the ships that totally aren't from Star Wars. It does suck though that two out of three powerups reset all your upgrades. That part seems kind of lazy.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Royal Scrub posted:

Starbound Anarkist is cool, thanks. Solid $2 game to play in short bursts and I'm loving all the ships that totally aren't from Star Wars. It does suck though that two out of three powerups reset all your upgrades. That part seems kind of lazy.

ACTUALLY (and this is necessary to get at least 1 achievement) the game defaults to "easy upgrade mode" which can be changed in the options. The REAL way it's supposed to work, which happens once you turn off easy mode, is that thrusters, weapons, and shields get upgraded (and color-changed) separately by their respective pickups -- so you can have a level 5 green shield, level 2 red thrusters, and a level 10 laser, or whatever. This makes things more difficult since a single pickup won't upgrade all 3 of your systems at once anymore, but allows you to specialize and end up with more powerful configurations. Really strange that they don't tell you about this anywhere, because as far as I'm concerned it's the "real" way to play the game.

Also if you're frustrated with your upgrades getting reset, it's worth noticing how upgrades of the color you already have get pulled toward you, and upgrades of a different color are slightly repelled -- so, usually, if an upgrade is rushing towards you from off-screen it's one you probably want, and if it's just sort of floating in space you might wanna avoid it. There's a Magnet item for your ship you can unlock that increases the strength of both the attraction and the repulsion.

Edit: there's also an item that makes upgrades count for 2 points in their respective category instead of just 1, making it a lot less devastating to pick up a different color when you have a system already maxed out-- you can usually get back up to speed really quickly

Edit edit:

I want to show off my ship!

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 20, 2014

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Yeah I'm changing that setting now. It does seem like the real way it should work, that's why I initially called it lazy.

Nice ship :cheers:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I have had pretty much no luck searching for this game. What gives?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Sad lions posted:

I have had pretty much no luck searching for this game. What gives?

It's actually called "Starborn Anarkist." Try searching Appshopper.com next time you run into trouble, it's a bit more flexible in terms of how close you have to be to the actual title of the app for it to show up.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Are people really having that much trouble with Colossatron? I've prestiged 3 times now and I've had a couple of trouble on my third time through but it hasn't been to hard going. They switch up weapons every day so if you just save up and buy railguns or the ones you like on certain days it because really easy, but even if you don't I can't see it being too much trouble. Just save your gems until the end and use 'em to get you through the very last level.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The rear end Stooge posted:

It's actually called "Starborn Anarkist." Try searching Appshopper.com next time you run into trouble, it's a bit more flexible in terms of how close you have to be to the actual title of the app for it to show up.

Here is the link
http://appshopper.com/games/starborn-anarkist

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Solkanar512 posted:

With Apple's system, parents through they were authorizing a single specific purchase, not all purchases for the next 15 minutes.

Wasn't it also a big problem that the iTunes password prompt didn't mention that it was about to authorise a purchase?

ihatepants posted:

This is dumb. Also, does anyone have that article from before that talked about how Candy Crush was designed to be a form of digital crack?

I'd also be interested in reading this if anyone has a link?

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Bardbarian runs like poo poo on my iPhone 4S :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

webmeister posted:

I'd also be interested in reading this if anyone has a link?

There's lots of them:
http://business.time.com/2013/11/15/candy-crush-saga-the-science-behind-our-addiction/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerdooley/2013/11/19/candy-crush-lessons/
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/candy-crush-saga-millions-stop-crushing-candy-facebook/story?id=19314358

King has something like 400+ employees including economists and psychologists to figure out how to maximize playing with people's brains to siphon more cash out of them. It's both ingenious and gross as hell.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

silly posted:

Bardbarian runs like poo poo on my iPhone 4S :(

Weird, what version of iOS are you on? 4s user here and I haven't noticed ANY issues, let alone it "running like poo poo" -- sunk some time into it, too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

There's lots of them:
http://business.time.com/2013/11/15/candy-crush-saga-the-science-behind-our-addiction/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerdooley/2013/11/19/candy-crush-lessons/
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/candy-crush-saga-millions-stop-crushing-candy-facebook/story?id=19314358

King has something like 400+ employees including economists and psychologists to figure out how to maximize playing with people's brains to siphon more cash out of them. It's both ingenious and gross as hell.

Ok, so I'm never going to download that game. Wow.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Why not? It's psychologically engineered so that you love it! :science:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

The Royal Scrub posted:

Why not? It's psychologically engineered so that you love it! :science:
I played it until it started wanting me to spam my Facebook friends/started asking for money. I evaded their traps!

I've heard Valve employs a few psychologists to make their games more fun/make people buy hats as well.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Costume Quest is really fun. I do not regret purchasing this game.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Marketing as a field of study was invented by a psychologist.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."

goferchan posted:

Weird, what version of iOS are you on? 4s user here and I haven't noticed ANY issues, let alone it "running like poo poo" -- sunk some time into it, too.

The latest iOS7 build I think. The framerate chugs super hard to the point where it's unplayable.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Zigmidge posted:

Marketing as a field of study was invented by a psychologist.
Yep. This guy. A first rate oval office.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Psychology isn't secret brainhacker magic, if you are conscious of a manipulation it has surprisingly little effect.

Knowing marketing is marketing reduces it to nothing more than an annoyance. I would even argue that most whales aren't some kind of spending frenzy prone game addicts as much as they're conscious of the idea that wasting money is less annoying to them than wasting time.

Saying that, unless you really like puzzle games there isn't a whole lot there. The new night mode adds a pegglesque owl which powers up on matches but still revolves mostly on hitting a choco bomb or the like to really high score.

Has anyone who's played barbarian speak to its similarity to nimble quest? The game looks fun but one of the things I got tired of with nq was the need to repeat the earliest levels. Arcadier games like Slayin' tend to be the same way, the earliest levels aren't so much a challenge as a necessary time sink in order to take a run at the game.

Also has anyone checked out Lost Yeti? It looks kinda fun.

CatelynIsAZombie fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 21, 2014

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Waited until getting Keldorn and his true sight ability worked on getting through the circus tent bug in BG2EE.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Bardbarian was well worth the 99c entry fee. I bought the coin doubler (99c) and am still having decent fun with it.

I haven't beaten it yet, but there does seem to be an end of sorts right around the 6-7 hour mark. This isn't a knock against the game.

The most important flaw in the game is that it starts to get really buggy and will freeze itself once you're pretty far into it. This is something that's going to need an update to fix, so hold off on buying it until then.

Bardbarian isn't an infinite-runner/grinder. The main mode has one stage and three spots where enemies come from and you defend your town crystal thing against waves of dudes with your man-train of ninjas and wizards. Once you beat wave 20 it seems like the only things left are survival mode and potentially something that unlocks after you beat that mode.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

theblackw0lf posted:

Waited until getting Keldorn and his true sight ability worked on getting through the circus tent bug in BG2EE.

I bet that gets patched pretty quickly.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Could be an issue for these folks. Hope they have good lawyers:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Thanks for the recommendations, think I'm going to download SurvivalCraft. I have a few more questions: the port of the original Tomb Raider - worth bothering with? Reviews are split on whether the controls are manageable or an insurmountable issue. Myst and Riven, never played them, worth a go now? Secret of Monkey Island, same question. Also the Baldur's Gate ports - I love 2 (although I'm not sure I've ever completed it), overall are they worth it on iOS or would I be better off just reinstalling them on a pc?

• Locked thread