Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Frozen any less trite and/or lame than Tangled? Does it have any songs with liberal use of the word "mumsie" in it?

Man what the gently caress is the deal with the internet's obsession with Tangled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bown posted:

Is Frozen any less trite and/or lame than Tangled? Does it have any songs with liberal use of the word "mumsie" in it?

Man what the gently caress is the deal with the internet's obsession with Tangled

I thought we already had the last mumsie with Rainn Wilson.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

Like My Little Pony, Tangled and Frozen are aimed at little girls and are therefore generally nicer, mellower and easier to digest than boy-focused movies like Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon and Wrecking It Ralph.

Edit: I guess I should also say that while they're aimed at little girls, they don't pander to little girls like the Tinkerbell movies, so adult men can publicly admit to liking them without the stigma normally attached to girl things (fairies/ponies/lots of pink).

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 20, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bown posted:

Frozen loving rules, it's a princess movie about how princess movies are terrible role models for children. Prince Charming is the bad guy and everyone aside from the main character is aware of how hosed up it is to propose to somebody after meeting them once at a ball, it's like Disney is finally going "yeah, our old movies are classics and all but they were made back in the 40s, things are different now"

The pacing's a little weird and the music is less Broadway and more pop-ish but other than that there isn't a bad thing you could say about Frozen that wouldn't apply to a bunch of other Disney cartoons. They even managed to make that punchable-looking snowman into a decent character with some good lines.

quote:

It's a movie whose main antagonist is a manipulative, controlling mother and whose protagonist is a lifelong shut-in. It's basically E/N The Motion Picture: How I Severed A Toxic Relationship With My Crazy Parent

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It also has amazing animation and some of the best companion animals in the Disney-verse.

Probably why they did Tangled Ever After.

The songs are completely forgettable, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

I like it. I already liked most of the cast before I saw the show but it's got a decent start. Keith David, Piz from Veronica Mars, The Finder from Bones/The Finder, and the dumb/hot brother from Suburgatory.

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone say they liked Piz from Veronica Mars.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Midnight City posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3rLvzfizU

"I don't need my rights protected because they shouldn't have to be!". It's painfully dumb even at the time it took place, double so now that we've seen what voting rights not being protected leads to (VRA last year).
Well, she is a Republican...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kaizoku posted:

I thought we already had the last mumsie with Rainn Wilson.

Speaking of Rainn Wilson, I was on IMDB today and was surprised to see that he was 48 years old.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Frozen loving rules, it's a princess movie about how princess movies are terrible role models for children. Prince Charming is the bad guy and everyone aside from the main character is aware of how hosed up it is to propose to somebody after meeting them once at a ball, it's like Disney is finally going "yeah, our old movies are classics and all but they were made back in the 40s, things are different now"

The pacing's a little weird and the music is less Broadway and more pop-ish but other than that there isn't a bad thing you could say about Frozen that wouldn't apply to a bunch of other Disney cartoons. They even managed to make that punchable-looking snowman into a decent character with some good lines.

It's a movie whose main antagonist is a manipulative, controlling mother and whose protagonist is a lifelong shut-in. It's basically E/N The Motion Picture: How I Severed A Toxic Relationship With My Crazy Parent

All that is true, and Frozen is very front-loaded, but I've really come around on it. When I saw it in the theater I straight up kinda didn't like it, but it grew on me after another watch on saturday. But both movies are great for disrupting the standard Disney villain/princess model.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'd have to watch it again, but I think those two movies would make an awesome trilogy with Enchanted, which examines and celebrates the appeal of the traditional "princess" movie, just before the other two movies tear down its more questionable traditions.

EDIT: Also, Amy Adams. If you want to understand the definition of emotional whiplash, watch American Hustle right after watching Enchanted.

drat, now I wanna watch Enchanted.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 20, 2014

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

3 weeks into House of Lies' third season and no thread.

Sometimes the forums is able to perfectly mirror what reality should be.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Midnight City posted:

House of Lies Live should just be the whole show.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Midnight City posted:

Why would there be a thread for House of Pies in a tv forum? :confused:

Question: who is creepier, the character Tooms from The X-Files or the actor who played him, Doug Hutchison? I'm leaning towards the latter.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Midnight City posted:

That show got renewed? Twice!?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
gently caress yeah the instructor for the class I'm taking (writing episodic television) decided to e-mail us a recommended show list. I am so :dance: after reading it:

quote:

CURRENT

Game of Thrones
True Detective
The Americans
Sherlock
Elementary
The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Justified
Longmire
Downton Abbey
True Blood
Orphan Black
Castle
Sleepy Hollow
The Blacklist
Arrow
House of Cards

CLASSIC/CULT

LOST
Deadwood
The Shield
Battlestar Galactica
Firefly
The West Wing
The Wire
The Sopranos

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Sober posted:

gently caress yeah the instructor for the class I'm taking (writing episodic television) decided to e-mail us a recommended show list. I am so :dance: after reading it:

Is this instructor ignoring everything older then fifteen years on purpose or is their taste in television that narrow?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The instructor did say episodic television, which while done before, wasn't really a thing until about the 1990s. It is a little weird that shows like Oz, Homicide, or even NYPD Blue aren't on that list, but it doesn't surprise me too much.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 20, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

You could erase the majority of that list and have a better program of study.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

You gotta have counterexamples to illustrate what not to do.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

PriorMarcus posted:

Probably. Studying drama tv in the 1950s-1960s would be far more interesting than modern television.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

CPFortest posted:

The instructor did say episodic television, which while done before, wasn't really a thing until about the 1990s. It is a little weird that shows like Oz, Homicide, or even NYPD Blue aren't on that list, but it doesn't surprise me too much.

Well episodic television has been around a lot longer than that. And most of those shows on the list seem more serialized then episodic. It would be really difficult to start watching a random episode of Game of Thrones versus something like House or a lot of comedies.

And I agree about the list as well. How can anyone include Firefly or BSG in the same list as the Wire and West Wing unless it was to show rights and wrongs.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Scandal is not on the list so it is automatically invalid

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Trast posted:

Well episodic television has been around a lot longer than that. And most of those shows on the list seem more serialized then episodic. It would be really difficult to start watching a random episode of Game of Thrones versus something like House or a lot of comedies.

And I agree about the list as well. How can anyone include Firefly or BSG in the same list as the Wire and West Wing unless it was to show rights and wrongs.

CPFortest posted:

Probably. Studying drama tv in the 1950s-1960s would be far more interesting than modern television.

Older television got away with things writers wouldn't be able to now. And I'm not talking just about the bad stuff like sexism or racism. Look at some of the cool stuff the Twilight Zone did.

Crap, reply is not edit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sober posted:

How is Law and Order not on a list of recommended viewing in a class about writing episodic television? That class sounds terrible.

:doink:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sober posted:

As much as I'm a fan of many of those shows, that looks like a really poor list full of filler and redundancy. It seems like they're trying to cover all the major fanbases rather than come up with a solid list that showcases the best approaches to episodic writing.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How is Law and Order not on a list of recommended viewing in a class about writing episodic television? That class sounds terrible.

:doink:

Law and Order would be a good one yeah. But not SVU unless you want to learn how to make main characters horrible people and how to ignore Munch. :smith:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Is this a community college course?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Irish Joe posted:

You gotta have counterexamples to illustrate what not to do.

I'm assuming that's why Walking Dead is on the list.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe they're intentionally choosing more recent stuff because it's more relatable to the students, easier to track down, and something they've probably already been exposed to? Something new probably works better if you're focusing on actually teaching first and foremost instead of making :pcgaming:THE GREAT SERIAL TELEVISION CANON:pcgaming:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

scary ghost dog posted:

Is this a community college course?
University, continuing education (at my alma mater). The syllabus is not like the list, we do have to do things that involve the production side of things and there are plenty of even simple exercises in re-writing stories in the form of: cop procedural, soap opera, etc.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Maybe they're intentionally choosing more recent stuff because it's more relatable to the students, easier to track down, and something they've probably already been exposed to? Something new probably works better if you're focusing on actually teaching first and foremost instead of making :pcgaming:THE GREAT SERIAL TELEVISION CANON:pcgaming:

I might buy that if some of the shows listed weren't in their first season which means no box sets. On demand makes things easier but the HBO series would require HBO subscriptions or a purchase usually. House of Cards requires netflix but that probably helps availability more than hinders.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
All this begs the question: If you're teaching a course on writing or appreciating episodic television, what would be on your syllabus?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

DivisionPost posted:

All this begs the question: If you're teaching a course on writing or appreciating episodic television, what would be on your syllabus?

A full page of a fabricated curriculum vitae with some tiny print at the bottom with an invalid email address and a link to netflix

When do I get my tenure?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

They lend themselves to being watched out of order, though, compared to novellistic shows like Mad Men, The Wire, etc., but there are some insane choices in that list.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

Twilight Zone and Homicide. The End.

That way you get the best anthology and best procedural.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Twin Peaks, Adam West's Batman, Adventure Time, LOST and the original Star Trek.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Why is everybody still typing Lost in all caps as if it's some kind of acronym and not just a dumb marketing gimmick

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Joramun posted:

Why is everybody still typing Lost in all caps as if it's some kind of acronym and not just a dumb marketing gimmick

It's fun.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

scary ghost dog posted:

Twin Peaks, Adam West's Batman, Adventure Time, LOST and the original Star Trek.

I'd limit twin peaks to the first season, unless you wanted to use it as the "This is how to start a show and NOT END IT" example. Actually, arguably, LOST falls under that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'm assuming that's why Walking Dead is on the list.

And Game of Thrones.

• Locked thread