Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'd agree. Diesel has its place, but that place isn't in cars that are supposed to be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piss boner
May 17, 2003

dissss posted:

I'd agree. Diesel has its place, but that place isn't in cars that are supposed to be fun.

I'd disagree: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10_TDI

stump
Jan 19, 2006

dissss posted:

While it may be true (I don't agree, personally) that a fun car shouldn't be diesel, that does not mean that a diesel can't be fun. It'd be a poo poo if all fun cars were diesels, but even worse if economy couldn't be had a in fun cars.

With Ford trying seemingly making great waves in the US hot hatch market they may be trying to differentiate themselves and instead compete against the Golf GTD instead. They may also be trying to change peoples opinion of diesel to something that can be fun, something which the MKIV Golf GTTDI, BMW e46 330d, Mondeo TDCI etc did in europe, Skoda VRS did in europe. Although saying that these cars (with the exception of he Skoda) had petrol brothers to be compared to (usually relatively favourably), it does seem like a ballsy move to forgo petrol altogether.

On the subject, my Chevrolet (Daewoo) Lacetti Wagon work hack has both reignited my interest in petrol engines, and made me wish this car didn't have one.

It's cheap, it's roomy, and seems bombproof. The interior design and plastics are hilariously bad, but the seats are super comfy. It even handles acceptably, although the tyres are poo poo... 4th gear 60 mph one wheel peels shouldn't be possible, even in the wet. Luckily it's now getting fitted with Nokian M+S tyres, and going to 195/65/15 profile from 195/55/15 will give a bit more ground clearance, and hopefully that'll solve it's bad behaviour on low traction surfaces. The only downside is the 1.6 110hp engine, which is dog slow below 4000rpm. It was kinda fun for the first wee while, but on my typical 200 mile wet cross country drive it gets pretty frustrating. Stick in a 90hp diesel and it would be an nice motoring appliance. It'll eek out 40 mpg (UK) on a good day, but i've seen 25 mpg out of a tank with some fast windy A roads and single track mixed in. Saying that, it's meant to be a car for old people going to the shops, so performance and economy aren't really a thing for the target market.

stump fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 20, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Audi LMP1 cars are only diesel for two reasons: 1. Rampant rules loophole which makes diesels unbeatable 2. Marketing VAG's TDI expertise.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

dissss posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJK3z4E6slc

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

stump posted:

While it may be true (I don't agree, personally) that a fun car shouldn't be diesel, that does not mean that a diesel can't be fun. It'd be a poo poo if all fun cars were diesels, but even worse if economy couldn't be had a in fun cars.

Eh, I've often never driven a petrol car and thought 'drat I wish this had a diesel engine' whereas I have often thought the inverse while in diesel cars (note cars, for big 4wds and vans and such it definitely makes sense).

Then again I think the Holden Viva/Daewoo Lacetti ranks as one of the worst vehicles of the past ten years so I guess we have different perspectives.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Meh, the Lacetti is decent second hand for the money... we paid £1500 for an '05 with 30k on it. It doesn't hold a candle to a focus, but you can't get a focus in that condition for that money. If it was my money I'd have bought an early e46 320d, but for a company hack it does the job. The only real letdown for me is the engine.

We had a '04 Renault Megane diesel estate before, which was much nicer in many ways, but that was horribly fragile, 50% of the electronics, most of the suspension and the air con unit were all hosed at 80,000 miles. The engine was good, but it didn't handle any better than the Lacetti in my opinion, and the ride quality was worse. The air con unit was an engine out job to replace so we scraped it and bought the Lasheddy.

Mind bogglingly, some of my colleagues who are used to driving diesels, and don't understand a car won't blow up if you tickle the redline complain the Lacetti is slower than our 110hp 2.5 TD Ford Ranger because the power delivery is so high in the rev range, and they are afraid to properly wring its neck.

It's hard to compare petrols and diesels equally , but I'd take a slightly slower diesel over a petrol any day because I prefer the power band for day to day driving.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

I've driven the B8 A4 wagon with both the 2.0 TDI and 2.7 TDI and neither was un-fun at any time. Those were both with the Speed 8 CVT, which is decidedly less fun than a ~~proper transmission~~

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
They still make station wagons with the seat that faces out the back? That poo poo was nuts :keke:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

JakeP posted:

They still make station wagons with the seat that faces out the back? That poo poo was nuts :keke:

The jump seats are an option on at least new E class wagons. You can get them on the Tesla Model S, too...

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Audi LMP1 cars are only diesel for two reasons: 1. Rampant rules loophole which makes diesels unbeatable 2. Marketing VAG's TDI expertise.

This statement discredits diesels as being fun...how?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My dad had a blue S4 Avant, that thing was pretty fun. Of course he only leased so he never had cars that long. Right now he has a 2011 A4 Avant Prestige. I may be getting a used version of the same vehicle (not prestige though), if so I'll be sure to post pictures.

edit: picking this up tomorrow! Has just under 35K miles on it.

http://pictures.dealer.com/a/audiminneapolisaoa/1721/e06cbc124751a2561ec9c4e069a0b029x.jpg

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 24, 2014

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oh my god

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-mercedes-benz-e63-amg-s-model-4matic-wagon-test-review

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

If only I had the money... I'll just have to live with my 300hp V70R..

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Somewhere near where I live somebody owns an E63 wagon from a couple of years ago. Mostly I've only caught it in glimpses once in a while. It's basically my unicorn.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I saw a beige 2013 E63 AMG 4-matic wagon pop up in the last 3 months. It had 6,000 miles and was selling for about $65k (USD) in Florida. That would have been a great purchase. :getin:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Crosspost from my thread.

This brings the things I've hauled since fall list to:

subaru transmission
subaru 6 cylinder motor
three fullsize exhausts (header back)
21 bankers boxes of paperwork
15 gravel tries
christmas tree
misc wheels + tires around the yard

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Does anybody want an e30 touring?

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312731

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

GramCracker posted:

I saw a beige 2013 E63 AMG 4-matic wagon pop up in the last 3 months. It had 6,000 miles and was selling for about $65k (USD) in Florida. That would have been a great purchase. :getin:

Wow, that's an insane discount

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Audi RS4 Avant Nogaro selection introduced, celebrates the original Avant RS2 model

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They really should not have posed it next to the original car. I dig the colour inserts in the seats/door-cards, although most people will probably think it's an homage to the STI.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

This has to be the first wagon I have not been physically repulsed by.. We'll never see it. :sigh:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Were the tourings ever available with the 2.5?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

blk posted:

I'm sure its not a difficult swap in the e30.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

blk posted:

Yep. Could be had with as a 316i right up to the 325i.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They really should not have posed it next to the original car. I dig the colour inserts in the seats/door-cards, although most people will probably think it's an homage to the STI.

I agree, the original is just a much cleaner design. It looks purposeful next to all the frilly accents on the new one.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Crosspost from post your car thread, here's my 2011 Audi A4 Avant, bought a couple weeks ago as a CPO with 35K miles. Also my greyhound Abby is in the back.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Can I just pop in to say that I really want a 95 Roadmaster wagon to throw a turbo GenIII in?

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core
I've got a 95 with 65k on it. Make an offer.

It shuts off for no apparent reason while you drive. So that sucks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Guess I should update with some not so terrible pics here as well

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Took some pictures, with my 10 year old DSLR, of the daily driver while on a trip to Port Townsend.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Oxphocker posted:

If only I had the money... I'll just have to live with my 300hp V70R..
I enjoy mine, 303 HP (K&N lol).

splangtastic
Oct 16, 2003
My new (to me) 2008 Mazdaspeed 3. A few mods and just a hair shy of 300whp. I love it

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510

splangtastic posted:

My new (to me) 2008 Mazdaspeed 3. A few mods and just a hair shy of 300whp. I love it

Not a Wagon. Nice ride tho.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I bought another wagon, meaning wagon count is up to 3 (2.5 since the Subaru got rolled)! Its a 96 Saturn SW2, 5 speed, 217K and is white. Not at all worth taking a picture of.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Let's swap an Ecotec into it.

I've always wanted to noodle around on one of those and work on them for the experience, but I could never bring myself to buy and own one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DJ Commie posted:

I bought another wagon, meaning wagon count is up to 3 (2.5 since the Subaru got rolled)! Its a 96 Saturn SW2, 5 speed, 217K and is white. Not at all worth taking a picture of.

How much oil does it burn? That's the only thing that sucked about my Saturn SL2. Otherwise I liked it quite a bit.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Larrymer posted:

How much oil does it burn? That's the only thing that sucked about my Saturn SL2. Otherwise I liked it quite a bit.

I don't know yet, I'm on the second tank of gas. I accidentally put in 5W-20 oil when I changed it earlier this month, so I expect it to vaporize it in short order.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Let's swap an Ecotec into it.

I've always wanted to noodle around on one of those and work on them for the experience, but I could never bring myself to buy and own one.

Its simultaneously really well and really badly engineered. Some things surprise me, but some just boggle my mind how they could be so stupid to do something a certain way. See: 18mm bolts/nuts.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

SPORK08 posted:

I've got a 95 with 65k on it. Make an offer.

It shuts off for no apparent reason while you drive. So that sucks.

Hang onto it, new job is pending and I may want to do exactly that in a few months :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SyHopeful posted:

Can I just pop in to say that I really want a 95 Roadmaster wagon to throw a turbo GenIII in?

No buy my '94 with 230k miles. I'm gonna put it up for sale in a month, or two, now that I'm possibly getting a Hornet Wagon.

Pictures to come, once it's here.

• Locked thread