Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Night Danger Moose posted:

How the hell do I get my 2-year-old cat to stop chewing on things? She's gone through 2 headphone cords, a mouse cord, my tablet cord, a speaker cord, and almost my keyboard cord. I've tried two types of cat-be-gone spray on them to no avail. This is getting expensive.
Deterrent + alternatives; try bitter apple spray and also giving her other stuff to gently caress with nearby. Also, put your poo poo away if you can, or you may want to look into those plastic spiral cable wraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Night Danger Moose posted:

How the hell do I get my 2-year-old cat to stop chewing on things? She's gone through 2 headphone cords, a mouse cord, my tablet cord, a speaker cord, and almost my keyboard cord. I've tried two types of cat-be-gone spray on them, including bitter apple, to no avail. This is getting expensive.

Have you tried Tobasco?

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

Rodent Mortician posted:

However, I assumed she was a kitten, but the vet said she had her adult teeth and estimated she was probably closer to a year old. But she's so little, she only weighs 3 pounds! Is it possible he's wrong?

She's sooo sweet. I just rehomed a silver blue tabby girl who was quite tiny - some cats just are.

An ex of mine had a very mini girl who lived to be about 1000 years old but she was very dinky and kitten looking. She only looked about 5 months old max.

Some of them also seem to have a growth spurt fairly late on, say just over 1 year.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just want to post that our cats LOVE foil. We found this out by covering an area of the bathroom wall with foil. This area of the wall gets scratched by our girl cat whenever we lock her in for a feeding... we have a very shy cat who it's hard to get to eat, so he's the one we don't lock in for a feeding. we lock the cats up because the other 2 eat the shy cat's food.

Anyway, so we put foil on the wall and door where the cats scratch, and they scratched the EVERLOVING poo poo out of the foil. Good times.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Hey cat goons, I need some advice regarding kittens.

Yesterday afternoon I brought two 13 weeks old kittens to my home. Never had cats before that and I've been doing a bit of reading for the past few months, but actually having live cats running around is pretty different.

So currently both kittens are hiding and sleeping in the crevices under my sofa. I've kept their food in view and the litter about a meter away, plus random cardboard boxes around. I've noticed they have been eating just fine but not peeing/pooping... until now, almost 30 hours later. And instead of the litter box they (or maybe just one?) picked an empty cardboard box to do his business in. I cleaned up the mess and threw out the box and decided to put the litter box at that spot.

Anything else I can do to get them to use the litter box?

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

duckfarts posted:

Deterrent + alternatives; try bitter apple spray and also giving her other stuff to gently caress with nearby. Also, put your poo poo away if you can, or you may want to look into those plastic spiral cable wraps.

Be careful with alternatives. Don't give anything resembling prey. We gave my kitty fun mouse toys and he chewed them, ate them, and then $2,000 and a removed section of intestine later...

He's still an rear end in a top hat and chews my cords. I put them all away at night and when we're not home.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
Can anyone recommend a good e-collar for an adult cat?

Lilly has a abrasion on her neck that has been going through the process of: scab over -> gets itchy -> scab gets scratched off -> wound stays raw/bloody for the next few days -> scabs over -> rinse and repeat. She's already been to the vet to make sure it's not infected and they gave us a surgical sock to cover the wound, but the issue is that the sock doesn't actually cover the area at all, and for the sock to cover the wound it'd have to reach up over her head to cover her ears.

I just want to get the cut healed as quickly as possible because this whole process has been going on for 2 weeks now.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

drat Bananas posted:

Does anyone have experience with rehoming an elderly cat to a stranger?

Long story short, when my mom died I had to rehome her two cats who did not get along. One cat is now in a happy home 700 miles away, the other is in a temporary home. I just learned how temporary - kitty needs to be out by the end of the month. That's two weeks! I'm freaking out because I cannot take her - my dog is aggressive to small furry things and my husband is allergic to cats. We might be able to put her in our guest room for a week or so, but not permanently. When I was originally trying to rehome her, none of my friends or family could take her. I'm scared that I'm going to have to resort to strangers over the internet off Petfinder or Craigslist... how can I trust people I've never met with the kitty that's been my baby since I was, like, 12.

She is 14, declawed, and not good with other cats or dogs. Do people ever look for senior pets to be their one-and-only pet? Or is it going to have to be "tough love" and she might need to go to a home with other animals? We are in DFW if by some miracle anyone in this thread is looking for exactly that. She's a great cat; gorgeous, snuggly, non-destructive, uses the box like a champ.

I just don't know where to start. :ohdear:

Bumping for new page because of no replies. I've got a freaked out pretty-little-kitty hiding under my guest bed right now. I'm going to start looking into creating a Petfinder page tomorrow, but any tips would be greatly appreciated. I.e. if I should say that she comes with all of her supplies, should I bother with typing her backstory, how to weed out the crazies or how to conduct home visits, etc.

As an aside, I gave her to the temporary home with "Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul" food, and she came back to me with bags of Whiskas and Friskies :catstare: I bought a bag of Authority to ease her transition away from corn-topia.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I'm told it's wise to charge a small rehoming fee to weed out crazies, and it may deter someone picking her up on a whim. Good luck with finding a place for her. Could you ask if a local shelter might put pictures of her up too? As if you were a foster home? I don't know how that generally works.

Floppy Dingo
Jan 11, 2012

I've made so much money from Goku's Pants
I have a somewhat random question: One of our cats today randomly started freaking out on our other cats. This never before has been a problem, but out of the blue today -every other cat- sends him into freakout mode. Full on snarling yowling angry cat.

He's an un-neutered male (our others are neutered/spayed) so I don't know if it's just because he needs to get fixed or what. He's fine around us, not hurt, doesn't seem sick, just...really really pissed at our other cats.

Any clues as to what this is? Or do you think it might just be that he needs to get snipped?

Edit: I should note, he doesn't attack them, he runs away but he makes one hell of a racket if they get close. I'm cleaning one of the litter boxes to take to the room we have him in now so he has a clean, fresh litter box and his own food and water until we can call the vet tomorrow.

Floppy Dingo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 20, 2014

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
A sudden personality change could be a medical issue. You should take him to the vet to get him checked out (and fixed).

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Hey, so I'm allergic to cats and would never own one, but I don't hate the little guys. My roommate's girlfriend keeps getting cats and apparently is one of the worst animal owners out there that isn't outright hitting the animal. She had one cat die on her before I moved in, the next one disappeared, and this is the 3rd one in I guess a year or less. It's a nice kitten. There's just one big problem really:

The cat has an infected eye.

This wouldn't be too bad of a problem with a normal owner, but you see, she isn't a normal owner. This cat gets left to run around the top side of the house with no litter box, and for a week or two there, no food or water bowl, and they relied on leaving the glass door cracked while it's 30F degrees outside so that the cat doesn't have to poo poo and piss in the house. (which thankfully for a kitten, she's smart, she's only poo poo in the house once and that's because she really had no choice since no doors were open) keep in mind, my roommate and his GF live in essentially another house attached to the house. In their portion of the house, there is a litter box etc! WTF does she keep putting the kitten she just got a few weeks ago into the portion of the house that doesn't help the kitty?! Until she put the food bowl up there I had to feed the drat cat some of my food so it wouldn't starve. Anyways, kind of went off topic there.

The cat has an infected eye, and has had it for I don't know, like a month or however long roomy's GF has had the cat. She initially did have some drops that I guess she got from the prior owner. I don't know if she applied them like she was supposed so, I'm assuming not. This is a girl that throws fastfood trash out of her truck window IN THE DRIVEWAY OF THE HOUSE. Anyways, the drops are apparently gone and have been a good week or two, but the cat's eye still looks like poo poo. I asked her if she's taking the cat to the vet and I think the cat theoretically would have went last week if she wasn't full of poo poo / actually gave a poo poo. This cat's obviously not getting drops anytime soon I think.

I just want to know the cheapest way possible I can help this cat not become a cyclops. I can't take the cat to the vet, I don't have the resources or the time. If I could buy effective drops OTC I would be willing to spend like $10 or $20 or whatever. Maybe some home remedies? It can't be that complicated, I GIS'd infected cat eye and they are all the same looking pretty much and all said use drops.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
You answered your own question:

ayekappy posted:

It can't be that complicated, I GIS'd infected cat eye and they are all the same looking pretty much and all said use drops.

The cat needs veterinary attention and proper medication, and a proper owner too! I'm sorry that you've had to deal with this and your roommates girlfriend is awful sounding. The only thing I can suggest is to get some eye wipes from a pet store, but these won't do anything for an infection. I don't really know any home remedies that work for pets, but I also don't know any home remedies that work for humans either, so take that as you like.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Hmm. So I guess there are no real good OTC eyedrops or cheap online vet stores that will sell them? I think at this point I'll use neosporin until I can get some drops without paying a vet bill. Apparently neosporin is fine to just dab right in the eye.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Please do not use Neosporin on the eye, or any iteration of Neosporin. They are for skin use, not eye.

Please do not use any OTC medication, even if it says for eyes, on the eye. This is not meant to be mean. This kitten needs medicated eye drops/ointment, and depending on what's going on, OTC drops could actually cause loss of the eye.

Basically, "infected eye" in a kitten runs from a mild viral infection that can pass, to bacterial infection, to damage of the outer layer of the eye, to penetrating eye trauma or foreign object in the eye. Not knowing which this is means that you could do far more damage sooner if you try to do anything.

Edit: so to answer the question, the only effective medications are those prescribed by vets. OTC eye meds run from ineffective at best to directly harmful.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

HelloSailorSign posted:

Please do not use Neosporin on the eye, or any iteration of Neosporin. They are for skin use, not eye.

Please do not use any OTC medication, even if it says for eyes, on the eye. This is not meant to be mean. This kitten needs medicated eye drops/ointment, and depending on what's going on, OTC drops could actually cause loss of the eye.

Basically, "infected eye" in a kitten runs from a mild viral infection that can pass, to bacterial infection, to damage of the outer layer of the eye, to penetrating eye trauma or foreign object in the eye. Not knowing which this is means that you could do far more damage sooner if you try to do anything.

Edit: so to answer the question, the only effective medications are those prescribed by vets. OTC eye meds run from ineffective at best to directly harmful.

I read myriad sources citing that topical application of the so-called AAA is effective for both cats and humans with minimal side effects and maximum effectiveness and is only to be avoided if extra active ingredients such as pain relievers were added to the solution. Is that not right at all? What horror stories can you produce to dissuade me from at least trying something to save this kitty's left eye?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ayekappy posted:

I read myriad sources citing that topical application of the so-called AAA is effective for both cats and humans with minimal side effects and maximum effectiveness and is only to be avoided if extra active ingredients such as pain relievers were added to the solution. Is that not right at all? What horror stories can you produce to dissuade me from at least trying something to save this kitty's left eye?

Take the cat to a vet so you know exactly what the problem is and have the right medicine for it. Perhaps neosporin will work, but there are a lot of other possible conditions which it would make worse. You're just guessing because you don't want to pay for a vet visit. That matters to you more than getting the cat healed properly and makes you seem a bit slimy yourself.

Most vets will work out payment plans if you can't afford the full cost up front. You can also hit up beastly "owner" since it's technically her cat.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Can you not call the humane society? This person should have the cat taken away.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Deteriorata posted:

Take the cat to a vet so you know exactly what the problem is and have the right medicine for it. Perhaps neosporin will work, but there are a lot of other possible conditions which it would make worse. You're just guessing because you don't want to pay for a vet visit. That matters to you more than getting the cat healed properly and makes you seem a bit slimy yourself.

Most vets will work out payment plans if you can't afford the full cost up front. You can also hit up beastly "owner" since it's technically her cat.

I'm not slimy. I can't afford the $100 for a vet visit and I don't have a car to take the cat to one. :\

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Can you call a vet or shelter and describe the situation and see if they have advice? Or see if animal control would come to take it?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'd like to thank the folks that suggested World's Best cat litter. We're using the corn formula and it's worked out wonderfully in a bunch of ways.

Bit of a backstory:
I rescued a two year old orange and white British shorthair that I named Hobbes back in 2010 when I was still married. He's an awesome playful mush and he was definitely attached to me. However, when my wife and I separated, she took him basically to be spiteful because he was never the biggest fan of her. During the ten months he was with her, she had him declawed. I was unaware of this and didn't find out until months later, at which time I became furious but there was nothing I could do. Anyway, without getting into a loooong story about her situation, she could no longer take care of Hobbes so her parents gave him back to me three months ago.

I had been using Fresh Step for years, and one of the problems is that the dust from the litter was affecting my asthma to the point that my partner has had to clean the litter box every time. Also, since he's been declawed, I'm guessing something in the litter was bothering his paws because he was no longer burying anything in his box. The smell of the litter was also unpleasant, like a fat woman that wears way too much perfume. So about a week ago we picked up a bag of World's Best and it couldn't have worked out better. He's burying everything now, the smell is just a whiff of corn and I can finally scoop his poops myself and be able to breathe. So thanks, folks.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

ayekappy posted:

HSS is an actual vet, I believe.

If the cat is not being given treatment despite having an obvious infection, call Animal Control. They'll come to the house, look at the cat, and give the owner x days to get it taken care of before they come back.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've gone back and forth between the nutrition thread and this one without response in either.

I'm just trying not to starve my cats/feed them just about right. They both seemed to get quite fat on 1/3 cup twice a day into their bowls.

Right now I free feed 1/3c Merrick bistro/before grain into each of their bowls in the AM before work. (5:40amish)
There is usually a decent amount left by the afternoon when I get home.

I then split a 5.5oz can of wet, Merrick fish variety, for the two of them.
The fatter cat seems to prefer the dry, but will munch some of the wet, and the smaller will do the reverse. (ie: munch some kibble, but prefers the wet)

There is water in a fountain available at all times.

My questions are this:

1) Am I over/underfeeding?
2) Should I remove the dry kibble in the afternoon, or is leaving it available 24h fine?
2a) I leave the dry kibble out 24 hours and one of the two usually munch on it some time during the night, but even then, both bowls are rarely eaten completely.
3) Am I doing anything horribly wrong here?
3a) With the reduced feeding/schedule I have found both cats are much more treat responsive. Is it from OMG hunger or just because I'm not stuffing them full of kibble all day?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

toplitzin posted:

1) Am I over/underfeeding?
2) Should I remove the dry kibble in the afternoon, or is leaving it available 24h fine?
2a) I leave the dry kibble out 24 hours and one of the two usually munch on it some time during the night, but even then, both bowls are rarely eaten completely.
3) Am I doing anything horribly wrong here?
3a) With the reduced feeding/schedule I have found both cats are much more treat responsive. Is it from OMG hunger or just because I'm not stuffing them full of kibble all day?
1) Yes, but we can't say by how much unless you tell us how fat your cats are, and how much weight they have lost since you changed their food routine. To do this, you should probably invest in a baby scale if you seriously want to put them on a diet.
2) Remove it.
2a) What is the point in leaving out more food than they even desire to eat when they are fat? Obviously you are overfeeding.
3) Your cats are fat. You are overfeeding them.
3a) If you want them to lose weight, OMG hunger is a good thing.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Crooked Booty posted:

1) Yes, but we can't say by how much unless you tell us how fat your cats are, and how much weight they have lost since you changed their food routine. To do this, you should probably invest in a baby scale if you seriously want to put them on a diet.
2) Remove it.
2a) What is the point in leaving out more food than they even desire to eat when they are fat? Obviously you are overfeeding.
3) Your cats are fat. You are overfeeding them.
3a) If you want them to lose weight, OMG hunger is a good thing.

Skinny cat on the left.
Fattles on the right.

I don't have a scale to weight them out, i'm just basing this on eyeballing the cats and the cat scale picture thing.

Sybil/fattles is obviously a stockily built cat while An is very svelte in general. (partial Siamese or something? Blue eyed and cross eyed).

They've not been called out as being overweight, I'm just trying to be a better/good owner.

Edit: 2a) even when it was just the kibble once a day, they'd always leave some in the bowl.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 20, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ayekappy posted:

I'm not slimy. I can't afford the $100 for a vet visit and I don't have a car to take the cat to one. :\

The fundamental issue is that it's not your cat, and you can't afford to care for it anyway. It's not your problem to solve, but I understand it's hard to watch the animal suffer. As was suggested, your options are calling animal protection services or working something out with the owner. Perhaps you could work a deal with the owners where they'll pay you to take care of it.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Huntersoninski posted:

I'm told it's wise to charge a small rehoming fee to weed out crazies, and it may deter someone picking her up on a whim. Good luck with finding a place for her. Could you ask if a local shelter might put pictures of her up too? As if you were a foster home? I don't know how that generally works.

Thanks! That's a good idea. It looks like Petfinder doesn't allow individuals to post pets, so I've contacted a cat rescue near me to see if they can post a courtesy listing for me. In exchange, I'll let them charge the adopter their adoption fee so that it turns into a sort of donation. Win-win!

In other news, kitty came out from under the bed this morning for the first time, and it's the first time I've seen her up close in 6-8 months. She's got a lot of thinning hair spots, and I'm pretty sure there's flea dirt in there too. Yay...

She has a vet appointment tomorrow morning; she definitely needs a checkup with all of her little bald spots and scabs. Poor thing. :( She was always so healthy when she lived with me and my mom. Hopefully transitioning her to a better food and flea treatment will bounce her right back.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ayekappy posted:

I've had to manage ulcers that people have used OTC meds on, makes it so I usually have to do two weeks of eye meds instead of one. You can have the "correct" medication, but incorrect dosing regime, or meds that are irritating. I regularly prescribe triple antibiotic drops to my patients, but I use the ones that I carry that are appropriate for eye usage.

Is this something where twice a day meds would work? Is this a problem where I'd recommend 4, or even 8 times a day meds? Does it need antiviral meds too? Does it need oral medications?

If it's only one eye, has it had trauma? Does it need serum drops? Does it need something removed?

I mean, if you're going to try, then you're going to try. Seeing as this can be anywhere from, "Yeah, might work" to "The eye is going to pop" I have no idea if your plan is going to do anything except:
1: use money that you admit you have little of
2: give your roommate someone to blame for the loss of the eye (you) if that does happen and you tried to do something
3: be a potentially futile act that will make you feel like you screwed up. At this point, it's all on your roommate if anything happens to the kitten. It is not your responsibility. You take action, you are now responsible for whatever happens next.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

HelloSailorSign posted:

I've had to manage ulcers that people have used OTC meds on, makes it so I usually have to do two weeks of eye meds instead of one. You can have the "correct" medication, but incorrect dosing regime, or meds that are irritating. I regularly prescribe triple antibiotic drops to my patients, but I use the ones that I carry that are appropriate for eye usage.

Is this something where twice a day meds would work? Is this a problem where I'd recommend 4, or even 8 times a day meds? Does it need antiviral meds too? Does it need oral medications?

If it's only one eye, has it had trauma? Does it need serum drops? Does it need something removed?

I mean, if you're going to try, then you're going to try. Seeing as this can be anywhere from, "Yeah, might work" to "The eye is going to pop" I have no idea if your plan is going to do anything except:
1: use money that you admit you have little of
2: give your roommate someone to blame for the loss of the eye (you) if that does happen and you tried to do something
3: be a potentially futile act that will make you feel like you screwed up. At this point, it's all on your roommate if anything happens to the kitten. It is not your responsibility. You take action, you are now responsible for whatever happens next.

Yeah I really can't call the humane society on my roommate's GF at this point. I think what I'll do is call the owner of the house(roommate's dad) and let him know I'm not comfortable with the cat slowly losing an eye / having a chance at a more spread infection, and have them "come over" and discover the cat. It's probably the most effective route I have right now without turning the whole house hostile or screwing up the cat worse with hope that the AAA is the right dose etc. Thanks for all the advice! Wish I could just take the cat to the vet, that'd be so much easier!

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Need a bit of emergency help

My furnace is broken. It should be repaired Wednesday, I guess it's some wacky part that they have to order, but it's going to get down to negative something here tonight and be cold as balls for the next couple of days - in the negatives at night and barely topping double digits during the day. They left me two little space heaters to make do with until the part gets fixed. Now for me, I can throw on a sweater and two pairs of socks and be okay, but I'm worried about the cats. What can I do make sure they're warm and comfortable? It's 57 in here now and going to just get worse as it goes on, and I don't want anyone to be cold and get sick :ohdear:

only Smudge will wear a shirt so sadly adorable kitty coats are not an option.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Women's Rights? posted:

My furnace is broken. It should be repaired Wednesday, I guess it's some wacky part that they have to order, but it's going to get down to negative something here tonight and be cold as balls for the next couple of days - in the negatives at night and barely topping double digits during the day. They left me two little space heaters to make do with until the part gets fixed. Now for me, I can throw on a sweater and two pairs of socks and be okay, but I'm worried about the cats. What can I do make sure they're warm and comfortable? It's 57 in here now and going to just get worse as it goes on, and I don't want anyone to be cold and get sick :ohdear:

The cats will be fine. Give them a blanket or something to curl up on. They have fur coats.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Women's Rights? posted:

When I was in a similar situation I put out hot water bottles and they would curl up with those. Odds are you'll find them as close as they can possibly get to the space heater.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
you can also fill a long wool sock with uncooked dry rice and microwave it. No more than 30sec-1min at a time, no more than like 3 minutes altogether. Pull it out and shake it between microwavings until it's the right temp overall. Once it's there, curl it up in/under a bed/blanket for the cats, and it'll keep its warmth for an hour or so, enough for them to get snuggled and comfy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Still doing research into all I need for a first pet cat(s) and am finding the world of kitty litter very strange and complicated.

Anyway, as mentioned before, I work weekdays, leaving at 8, getting home at 6, so 10 hours away from home during the working week, which is why the question of getting a second one popped up. I'd like to hear from other working owners about keeping solo cats, good or bad about loneliness and its effect on cats, does having a second cat really improve things, and other info/experiences along those lines.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Still doing research into all I need for a first pet cat(s) and am finding the world of kitty litter very strange and complicated.

Anyway, as mentioned before, I work weekdays, leaving at 8, getting home at 6, so 10 hours away from home during the working week, which is why the question of getting a second one popped up. I'd like to hear from other working owners about keeping solo cats, good or bad about loneliness and its effect on cats, does having a second cat really improve things, and other info/experiences along those lines.

Cats have different personalities. Some are independent and give no shits about being alone, others prefer company. I am absent for the same hours as you, and my cats sleep all day and ignore me completely on occasions when I work from home, perking up again at the pre-appointed "people hour" of approximately 5:15pm.

When I had just one cat, he was very very very very happy to see me when I got home and would require 30min of active 100% only-focused-on-cat attention before he'd be willing to back off. Now that I have two, the same cat is very very very very happy to see me come home but leaves to do his own thing after 20 seconds of attention. Having two cats made Cat #1 much less needy and gave him a playmate to chase around and burn energy with. Cat #2 is the polar opposite to Cat #1 personality-wise and is chill enough that he probably would have been fine on his own, but having only owned him as part of a duo I can't really say for sure.

Caring for two cats is not a hell of a lot harder than caring for one cat. Personally, my two are fine sharing one large litter box that is scooped daily, and for litter I didn't have many options to choose from so they have plain clay clumping litter and it works well. The only issue is cost - double the food/litter/flea meds and double the vet check up bills (and non-cost related double the legroom taken up on the bed) - but I very much like having two.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 21, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

My experience was that I had a single cat for about a year before getting another one, which I adopted/forced on me kinda by chance. The first cat was about 4-6 months old when I got her, and while she was pretty energetic and active, she was totally fine being by herself while I was out working and such. When I adopted the second one as a very, very small handkitten, I had to keep the second cat in a separate room for a while which she hated, and would meow constantly. She was also kind of an rear end in a top hat too. The two of them more or less got along after a while, but have never really hung out together until about say, six years later.

tl;dr: Having a single cat can be just fine, having two cats doesn't guarantee they'll get along together swimmingly or really improve things. This is why I think that if you get two cats, you should get two that are already hanging out together in the shelter or whatever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Deteriorata posted:

The cats will be fine. Give them a blanket or something to curl up on. They have fur coats.

Yeah, cats actually run a bit hotter than we do. I didn't really realize how hot cats are until mine got her belly shaved for surgery a few years back. You could use shaved cats as handwarmers.

But yeah, cat fur is really insulating, and as long as you keep the place sealed up and there isn't a ton of wind inside, they'll be fine.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

My cat is refusing to eat his wet food. It's this pet-grade mince that's meant to be really good for him but after months (since adopting him) of gobbling this stuff down like it's magic candy, he suddenly doesn't want it. He still hoovers up the kibble, and any crumbs he can scavenge from my plate. At mealtimes he yells to remind me to feed him, and when I put food in his dish he runs into the kitchen like OMG FOOD IS HAPPENING. But when he sniffs the meat he just wanders off again. The stuff is definitely not gone bad - he does this when it's fresh from the pack, and the other cat (who is super fussy) eats it after he's gone.

If I leave some for him overnight, he'll nibble it a bit but leave most of it to rot. If I give him tinned fish or something, he sorta picks at it for a while, then also leaves that.

He doesn't seem at all sick, he's still active and energetic and socialises with the neighbour. Clear eyes, normal poop etc. He's been wormed recently. Cat just suddenly decided he hates this food he loved up until a couple of days ago.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Corridor posted:

Cat just suddenly decided he hates this food he loved up until a couple of days ago.

This is probably it if he's still eating kibble and whatnot just fine, I would think it's nothing to worry about. How many days has it been, if it's only a couple he'll probably get back to it. I guess you could try feeding her the kibble later?

My cat some days decides she doesn't want her canned food. She's on perscription food, and it's $2 a can, and she's supposed to eat 2 cans worth a day. $4/day is more than I spend on my food at times, so she gets a bowl of perscription kibble too. Some days she'll harass me and complain until I give her the canned food, and then she'll eat the kibble instead.

Basically just cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Corridor posted:

My cat is refusing to eat his wet food. It's this pet-grade mince that's meant to be really good for him but after months (since adopting him) of gobbling this stuff down like it's magic candy, he suddenly doesn't want it. He still hoovers up the kibble, and any crumbs he can scavenge from my plate. At mealtimes he yells to remind me to feed him, and when I put food in his dish he runs into the kitchen like OMG FOOD IS HAPPENING. But when he sniffs the meat he just wanders off again. The stuff is definitely not gone bad - he does this when it's fresh from the pack, and the other cat (who is super fussy) eats it after he's gone.

If I leave some for him overnight, he'll nibble it a bit but leave most of it to rot. If I give him tinned fish or something, he sorta picks at it for a while, then also leaves that.

He doesn't seem at all sick, he's still active and energetic and socialises with the neighbour. Clear eyes, normal poop etc. He's been wormed recently. Cat just suddenly decided he hates this food he loved up until a couple of days ago.

When I had a better roommate who actually did take care of his cat, his cat did the same thing. We were feeding him some innova evo and he loved the poo poo for a few months, and then just didn't want to eat much besides kibble. We just decided to do more of a variety of the evo flavors and throw in some other good brands while keeping evo kibble, and just switching from fish to chicken to beef to whatever else seemed to do the trick. I think the cat had just become bored with the same protein somehow?