Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nilbog Resident posted:

Totally worth it. Now I just wish I could remember who sells torches because god drat.

Your settings menu sells torches, slide the barter bar all the way to the right with this guy called "Gamma"

Or Arrile/that khajiit in balmora you can rob of his whole stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
The thing is I actually really like the darkness and realistic lighting (it works especially nicely at hiding the blandness of every family tomb ever), but I combed Arrile's inventory and couldn't find torches for the life of me. Could just be I overlooked them, though. I'm in Balmora now and had just barely started the thieving and shopping before I had to go to bed, so no big deal.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
One more thing: are there really no mods that just automatically give +5 to stats at level up? I tried Linora's but uhh, struggling to raise Misc skills when they're in their teens is just stupid.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Nilbog Resident posted:

One more thing: are there really no mods that just automatically give +5 to stats at level up? I tried Linora's but uhh, struggling to raise Misc skills when they're in their teens is just stupid.

I'm not really sure what the need for that is. Unlike Oblivion and its broken system of level scaling, there isn't any need to min-max attributes in Morrwoind.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Numbers make me happy. :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nilbog Resident posted:

The thing is I actually really like the darkness and realistic lighting (it works especially nicely at hiding the blandness of every family tomb ever), but I combed Arrile's inventory and couldn't find torches for the life of me. Could just be I overlooked them, though. I'm in Balmora now and had just barely started the thieving and shopping before I had to go to bed, so no big deal.

Agreed on the darkness. I don't use MGSO but I do use TLM to make interiors considerably darker, and it does so much for the atmosphere of dungeon diving. I actually came up with a rudimentary system for marking dark caves with various colored candles (lights don't seem to burn out when they're placed in the world--only when held) which helps me navigate pitch black areas. Murky Dwemer and daedric ruins are especially creepy though, stumbling into some horrible overleveled nasty that lurk in the shadows.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I just started my first ever mage playthrough and holy poo poo, even at level 1 I am pretty godly.

Time to head to Telvanni lands and become a crazed mage king.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

I just started my first ever mage playthrough and holy poo poo, even at level 1 I am pretty godly.

Time to head to Telvanni lands and become a crazed mage king.

You made the right choice, magic is the only right way in Morrowind. Hell, even for regular fighting, bound weapons and armor are so much better and more convenient than regular stuff until you start using crazy artifact gear.

Be sure to install the Uvirith's Legacy mod, because it makes the Telvanni stronghold really baller.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Nilbog Resident posted:

I think the best you can do is getting +5 if you raised even a single skill governed by that attribute. To do that, you just have to open Morrowind.esm in the Construction Kit, go to the Gameplay->Settings->Gameplay tab and change iLevelUpMult01, iLevelUpMult02, ..., iLevelUpMult10 to 5, then save it as a plugin.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Could someone give me a quick rundown on the Dunmer houses? I just started as a modified sorcerer. (Might restart with Uvirith's Legacy if I decide to go Telvanni.) Hlaalu is out of the question. But I love the Redoran crab cities.

I'm assuming I should go Telvanni. Better for mages, and a better chance to explore the eastern--and more isolated--part of the island, right?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

Could someone give me a quick rundown on the Dunmer houses? I just started as a modified sorcerer. (Might restart with Uvirith's Legacy if I decide to go Telvanni.) Hlaalu is out of the question. But I love the Redoran crab cities.

I'm assuming I should go Telvanni. Better for mages, and a better chance to explore the eastern--and more isolated--part of the island, right?

The three great houses pretty much correspond to the three class archetypes: Redoran is warrior and is all about honor and tradition, Hlaalu is thief and is all about making money and favors the empire, Telvanni is mage and tends to not give a dick about politics as long as nobody gets in their way of being batshit crazy wizards.

Telvanni are pretty much the best choice. They have a bunch of bizarre and memorable characters and the Telvanni quests are probably the best faction questline in the game as far as rewards go. Also worth noting that Telvanni has gotten way, way more modding attention that the other houses. There's all sorts of really good mods concerning the Telvanni stronghold and quests while I honestly can't recall any mods that have been made for the other houses.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Omi-Polari posted:

Telvanni is awesome and full of crazies while the other two are boring and full of boring people. Having played all three, I can tell you to stay way away from Redoran, it was almost as bad a quest line as the Fighter's Guild. Hlaalu gets point for having the most conveniently placed stronghold, although the Telvanni stronghold is cooler.

Actually, now that I think about it, Hlaalu does have Uncle Crassius going for it as well, so it's not completely devoid of interesting characters. Unlike Redoran, which has poo poo-all for interesting people.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 17, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Plus Uvirith's Legacy was made by a supercool goon Stuporstar, and it's rad as hell.

Combine it with Rise of House Telvanni if you really want to feel special.

And then go to TR's Telvanni and get treated like poo poo.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well that settles the question. Telvanni it is. Thanks!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm starting to have a CTD issue now. It seems like my game dislikes loading quicksaves, because eventually loading one leads straight to a CTD, even if that state worked just fine before. I've also encountered CTDs when opening the journal. A little googling found a plethora of reasons why this might be happening, but I'm not sure which apply to me. I snagged MGSO before starting to play in earnest, which includes fixes that should prevent some of the potential save corruption causes. Is this something that cleaning a save with Wrye Mash could fix?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mizuti posted:

I'm starting to have a CTD issue now. It seems like my game dislikes loading quicksaves, because eventually loading one leads straight to a CTD, even if that state worked just fine before. I've also encountered CTDs when opening the journal. A little googling found a plethora of reasons why this might be happening, but I'm not sure which apply to me. I snagged MGSO before starting to play in earnest, which includes fixes that should prevent some of the potential save corruption causes. Is this something that cleaning a save with Wrye Mash could fix?

Do you have a load order handy? I ask because there were a couple of specific mods that would cause inevitable save game corruption when active, including a mod that overhauled city guard behavior (at least on my computers).

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 17, 2014

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^

Mygna posted:

I think the best you can do is getting +5 if you raised even a single skill governed by that attribute. To do that, you just have to open Morrowind.esm in the Construction Kit, go to the Gameplay->Settings->Gameplay tab and change iLevelUpMult01, iLevelUpMult02, ..., iLevelUpMult10 to 5, then save it as a plugin.

Hey man. You rule. :respek:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
:raise: Is it that easy for mods to ruin a save file? I grabbed a bunch of mods to experiment with, though a ton of these came packaged with the MGSO. I wouldn't be surprised if something was causing the issue, then.

_001_ Morrowind.esm
_002_ Tribunal.esm
_003_ Bloodmoon.esm
_004_ Texture Fix - Bloodmoon 1.1.esm
_005_ Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta (BTB Edit).esm
_006_ Poorly Placed Object Fix 1.2.esm
_007_ Texture Fix 2.0.esm
_008_ LadyD_Reduced_Commentary.esp
_009_ AOF Potions Recolored T+B.esp
_010_ PSsorticon.esp
_011_ SirLuthor-Tools.esp
_012_ Unique Banners and Signs.esp
_013_ Better Bodies.esp
_014_ Windows Glow.esp
_015_ Key Replacer Trib & BM.esp
_016_ JEB_muffin_fix.esp
_017_ Barabus' fireplaces 2.esp
_018_ Windows Glow - Tribunal Eng.esp
_019_ Windows Glow - Bloodmoon Eng.esp
_020_ Windows Glow - Raven Rock Eng.esp
_021_ A_flock_of_seagulls.esp
_022_ WA_Signy_Signposts(!).ESP
_023_ ASH 2.0.esp
_024_ Better Skulls.ESP
_025_ Fair Magicka Regen 2.0b.esp
_026_ Particle Arrow Replacer.esp
_027_ Psy_VGR_Armour.esp
_028_ MA_snowprincetomb_v3.esp
_029_ Vurt's Grazelands Trees.esp
_030_ AtmosphericSoundEffects-3.0-Tribunal.esp
_031_ abotWindowsGlow.esp
_032_ Statue Replacer - Normal.esp
_033_ Natural Healing.esp
_034_ Less_Generic_Bloodmoon.esp
_035_ bones.esp
_036_ LGNPC_AldVelothi_v1_20.esp
_037_ Shieldfx.esp
_038_ Book Jackets - Morrowind.esp
_039_ Book Jackets - Tribunal.esp
_040_ Book Jackets - Bloodmoon.esp
_041_ LGNPC_Aldruhn_v1_20.esp
_042_ LGNPC_Aldruhn_suppl.esp
-043- LGNPC_GnaarMok_v1_20.esp
-044- LGNPC_HlaOad.esp
-045- LGNPC_MaarGan.esp
-046- LGNPC_Pelagiad.esp
_047_ LGNPC_TelMora_v1_30.esp
_048_ Better Clothes_v1.1.esp
_049_ LGNPC_SeydaNeen.esp
_050_ LGNPC_Khuul_v2_21.esp
_051_ LGNPC_VivecFQ.esp
_052_ LGNPC_TelUvirith_v1_20.esp
_053_ LGNPC_SecretMasters_v1_30.esp
_054_ LGNPC_IndarysManor_v1_51.esp
_055_ LGNPC_VivecRedoran.esp
_056_ LGNPC_PaxRedoran_v1_20.esp
_057_ LGNPC_SoulSicknessPatch_v1_00.esp
_058_ NewBlood_MwTbBm1.1.esp
_059_ Neo's Unique Creatures.esp
_060_ BetterClothesForTB.esp
_061_ correctUV Ore Replacer 1.0.esp
_062_ Less_Generic_Tribunal.esp
_063_ llm-easy.esp
_064_ Accurate Attack.esp
_065_ abotWhereAreAllBirdsGoing.esp
_066_ RunFaster-Faster.ESP
_067_ Bloated Caves.esp
_068_ Graphic Herbalism.esp
_069_ BTB - Character.esp
_070_ BTB - Spells.esp
_071_ BTB - Alchemy.esp
_072_ BTB - Equipment.esp
_073_ BTB - Settings.esp
_074_ ExcellentMagicSounds.esp
_075_ Encumberance increaser StrX25.esp
_076_ almalexia armor.esp
_077_ Keyring.esp
_078_ Psy_UniqueDremora_T.esp
_079_ More Better Clothes.ESP
_080_ Golden Gold.esp
_081_ mel_teleportPlugin_1_3.esp
_082_ Animated Morrowind.esp
_083_ New Voices.esp
_084_ Sleepers, Awake!.esp
_085_ guarskin_drum_replacer.esp
_086_ LeftGloves_Addon_v2.esp
_087_ Cast On Use B-Gone.esp
_088_ UniqueFinery.esp
_089_ Unique Jewelry and Accessories.esp
_090_ Clean MCFC_1.0.esp
_091_ imperial chain fix.esp
_092_ UF_HortRobeF001.esp
_093_ TLM - Complete.esp
_094_ Female Armor - Complete.esp
_095_ Non-Homicidal Ecosystem Trib. & Blood..ESP
_096_ Better Weapons and Armors.esp
_097_ OTR_Coast_Variety.esp
_098_ STA_guides_replacer.esp
_099_ MW Containers Animated.esp
_100_ Better_Sounds.esp

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Nilbog Resident posted:

For Morrowind and Oblivion I like the *GCD series of leveling mods, with Morrowind having GCD (Gaisha's Character Development or something.)

Basically, it removes the level up screen and just lets you play your character, which I really enjoy.

here is the latest most bugfixed version out there.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So distant land just isn't working for me. Whenever I try to generate it, I get an error thrown at me because the distant lands file doesn't exist. Using the big overhaul pack in the op with the GOTY edition on steam, did all the proper stuff before installing etc etc.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gobblecoque posted:

Telvanni are pretty much the best choice. They have a bunch of bizarre and memorable characters and the Telvanni quests are probably the best faction questline in the game as far as rewards go. Also worth noting that Telvanni has gotten way, way more modding attention that the other houses. There's all sorts of really good mods concerning the Telvanni stronghold and quests while I honestly can't recall any mods that have been made for the other houses.

There's "Grandmaster of House Hlaalu", and House Redoran is the darling of the LGNPC team. That's about all.

Also depends on the kind of character you like to play. Redoran's pretty much the closest to the Knight in Shining Armor Beetle Carapace quests, what with some generic "help the peasants", "fight corruption", and "battle against unholy evil" quests. Hlaalu is more about cloak-and-dagger stuff, as well as choosing your enemies. It has some interesting quests in that you can choose to help or betray other members of House Hlaalu, but you kinda have to take the initiative for that. ("This counselor asked me to do some shady stuff, let's see if the other counselors have interesting things to say about it" kind of initiative.) Telvanni has some political intrigue, but not as much as Hlaalu. It's mostly about the Telvanni masters being absolute nutters.

If you care about meaningless numbers that have no real impact on gameplay, the most Reputation you can get in Morrowind is by joining House Telvanni and doing their quests, then using a glitch (sadly fixed by the Unofficial Morrowind Patch Project) to join House Hlaalu and doing their quests as well, and finally doing a handful of Redoran quests that you don't need to join the House to do (Mad Lord of Milk, Shut the Mines Down, Troubles with Bandits).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mizuti posted:

:raise: Is it that easy for mods to ruin a save file? I grabbed a bunch of mods to experiment with, though a ton of these came packaged with the MGSO. I wouldn't be surprised if something was causing the issue, then.

Hmmm, I'm not seeing anything in your load order that seemed to be causing me save game problems. To answer this question, though, I remember researching my issue and finding a frequent explanation that was basically this: Sometimes mods will make changes to NPCs that do not carry over well between saves. The result is that, when you try to load a "bad" save, there will be a mismatch between the modded NPC data that existed prior to making the save, and data that is recalculated/recreated with those same NPCs when the save is loaded. The mismatch causes the game to crash. If I remember correctly (and if this is your problem, and not some other kind of save corruption), you can keep trying to load the same save, and every once in a while it will actually load successfully.

I'm not savvy enough with this aspect of the game to say whether or not that explanation is accurate, but I do know that the problem completely disappeared after I removed those 2 apparently troublesome mods. Unfortunately, like I said, I'm not seeing any mods on your load order that were causing me problems.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Thanks for looking it over anyways! It's good to eliminate possible causes.

I have a couple miscellaneous mod questions. Are all non-corpse containers limited to only holding a certain amount of weight, even with mods? It's weird having to use Ralen Hlaalo's corpse inventory to stash my things.

Are there any mods that offer invisible helmets or give shoes/more helmets to beast races?

And finally, I'm a weenie that hates annoying playable factions and getting flak for assassinating NPCs. I want to explore all of the content I can, so I'm looking for alternatives. The console doesn't appear to have a "kill" command like in Skyrim, so I'm wondering if console commands to advance quest stages would work. Would using those break anything?

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 19, 2014

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I can never bring myself to not join Telvanni. Hlaalu and Redoran just seem so boring compared to it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Cat Mattress posted:

If you care about meaningless numbers that have no real impact on gameplay, the most Reputation you can get in Morrowind is by joining House Telvanni and doing their quests, then using a glitch (sadly fixed by the Unofficial Morrowind Patch Project) to join House Hlaalu and doing their quests as well, and finally doing a handful of Redoran quests that you don't need to join the House to do (Mad Lord of Milk, Shut the Mines Down, Troubles with Bandits).

Actually if you get your rep above 50 you get to skip the most annoying sections of the main quest, which is great.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mizuti posted:

Are there any mods that offer invisible helmets or give shoes/more helmets to beast races?

There's something like that. http://adul.net/?p=dl_mwmods_aduls_leggings

It's relatively easy to make it for yourself in the construction kit, too. Grab some boots, copy them into something you'll call leggings or whatever else you want, and then delete the "foot" body parts from them while keeping the "ankle" body parts. That will work with most boot models out there. Gives you something that uses the boot slot but that can be worn by beasts.

Place them in the world or use the console to give them to your character.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mizuti posted:

And finally, I'm a weenie that hates annoying playable factions and getting flak for assassinating NPCs. I want to explore all of the content I can, so I'm looking for alternatives. The console doesn't appear to have a "kill" command like in Skyrim, so I'm wondering if console commands to advance quest stages would work. Would using those break anything?

Open console

Click on target

"SetHealth 0"

Dead. Game doesn't blame you for the death, but you don't get xp for it either.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Game doesn't blame you for the death, but you don't get xp for it either.

It's a good thing this game doesn't have xp :smugbert:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mortimer posted:

It's a good thing this game doesn't have xp :smugbert:

Owned. Booyah.

Ok so I should have said "you can't build your skills or attributes that way." Same idea though GOSH.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I'll try out that legging mod, then. I have zero confidence in working the construction kit, so this suits me fine. That console command will also be a big help. Thanks!

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 21, 2014

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I'm playing Morrowind for the first time and have a quick question. I've opted to use MGSO and everything appears to be installed properly and running well. What I'm wondering how to install additional mods (like Uvirith's Legacy) without screwing everything up since MGSO is basically just a huge mod package right? Can I just install Wyre Mash and it will detect everything and I can go nuts from there or what?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Monopthalmus posted:

I'm playing Morrowind for the first time and have a quick question. I've opted to use MGSO and everything appears to be installed properly and running well. What I'm wondering how to install additional mods (like Uvirith's Legacy) without screwing everything up since MGSO is basically just a huge mod package right? Can I just install Wyre Mash and it will detect everything and I can go nuts from there or what?

Probably. There's a few stipulations for mods that you can add without worry of compatibility; things like exterior programs, excessive scripts, too much leveled list alteration, and plain "non-compatible with another mod in your list" - if it isn't one of those things you can add it. It's not like Skyrim where adding one script in could break everything, Morrowind is a bit simpler in that regard. And yes, Wrye Mash automatically detects installed mods, but unless you want to use mash installers it isn't a platform you install new mods from. It's more of a "sanity test" for finding missing files and creating a merged leveled list file (which you should definitely do).

So yeah your answer is go nuts.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Monopthalmus posted:

Everytime I go on a modding spree with my game I rerun the mgso load list part of the install, its fixed a number of bugs that were caused by mod load order for me. Honestly though if its your first time I'd just stick with MGSO and then decide later what you really do and don't want to change before going crazy with the mods. I'd even wait on Uvirith's Legacy for a second playthrough.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I got a new system to play games on and I even put morrowind on it. Am I going to hate the game after playing Skyrim a bunch?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

bobthedinosaur posted:

I got a new system to play games on and I even put morrowind on it. Am I going to hate the game after playing Skyrim a bunch?

If you can't adjust to the combat just install depth perception.

Outside of that avoid Archery and you should be fine.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Anyone know of some good animation replacers besides what comes with MGSO, or is that about as good as it gets with engine limitations? Those are really great compared to vanilla but I was looking for anything that might make standing with weapons drawn seem even less stiff.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Monopthalmus posted:

You should be fine in most cases.

Wrye Mash will detect major conflicts, but the most surefire method for seeing if a mod works with MGSO is running Morrowind and testing it. Most recent modders are aware of MGSO, and a lot of people use both MGSO and Uvirith's Legacy without problems.

bobthedinosaur posted:

It depends on whether you prefer a more RPG-like experience than epic swordfighting, amongst other things. As I mention in the second post of the OP, Morrowind is much more based on character crafting than later Elder Scrolls games and you'll need to carefully build your stats. I personally still play Morrowind after installing Skyrim and I don't think I'm alone in that. It all comes down to personal preference.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Skyrims combat is better than morrowinds but that isn't saying much. Compared with every other game it's balls (try the Witcher 2 then Skyrim again like I did, it'll make you sad).

As long as you pick a class/race meant for what you're going to do you shouldn't have problems in morrowind.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Musical_Daredevil posted:

It depends on whether you prefer a more RPG-like experience than epic swordfighting, amongst other things. As I mention in the second post of the OP, Morrowind is much more based on character crafting than later Elder Scrolls games and you'll need to carefully build your stats. I personally still play Morrowind after installing Skyrim and I don't think I'm alone in that. It all comes down to personal preference.

It's a learning experience. Morrowind, especially when compared with the combat systems of Skyrim and Oblivion (hit when you swing) can be immensely frustrating. "Wait, my super long Daedric dai-katana just went through this mudcrab and I didn't kill it? No damage?"

Morrowind's not like later games- the vast majority of good equipment is in set locations, and once you find out where that is there's no reason, with proper preparation, a level one character can't sneak through a horde of enemies, guards, etc. and get it (carrying it is another matter), teleport out, and use it/sell it if it's useless to them.

THEN dump that money into training up a weapons skill so you're not dreadful in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
A protip for MGSO users: after your MGSO install, zip up your Data Files folder and install it as a mod in Wrye Mash. You can put it at a lower installer priority and use it to see what might have conflicts with the other data files MGSO installs.

E: Morrowind's combat is unobjectively balls. The rest of the gameplay systems are awesome fun, but the combat is just no good. Skyrim's is much better. :colbert: